Thank You My CyberEagle Brothers!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Thank You My CyberEagle Brothers!!!

Post by mate »

In individual situations, this can come to bear. Croatia limits the exposure of slower guys like Lovren and Strinic. Vrsaljko and Vida deal with this and are fast enough. Modric, Brozovic, Badelj, Perisic, and Raktic are tasked to pack and avoid slower guys being isolated...and then transitioning to Rebic and Mandzukic.

England after all didn't see any of their speedsters use this to serious advantage. We played a game where they were forced to create quality chances. Likewise for us. We could and they couldn't.

As we keep discussing, France is entirely more formidable. I just would be surprised if individual speed proves decisive.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

I'm supporting Croatia for the final. With all due respect, they are not all world class players but the sheer willpower to sacrifice for the cause is impressive.

I wish the SE had half the heart of the Croatian team.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

guest83 wrote:I'm supporting Croatia for the final. With all due respect, they are not all world class players but the sheer willpower to sacrifice for the cause is impressive.

I must say it would be quite a thing to see a team from outside "the usual suspects" win the trophy.

Come to think of it .... as near as I can tell .... this is the first time a team that wasn't one of the usual suspects made it to the final in the modern era. I consider the Netherlands to be one of the usual suspects, by the way, even though they haven't won it .... yet.

I am not sure that I think Croatia will win it though. To be clear, I am not saying I don't want them to win, just that I am not sure I think they will. If you understand me. :)
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I don't mind Croatia being the underdog with the media, pundits, and most fans. It keeps us doubtful...and wanting to win out of spite.

Croatians do best when discounted. Not when leading from the front. France is the glamour team, while Croatia is the village outfit.

Let's do this.

:)
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

France will win but they will have to work for it. Quality always comes through at the end.

But in a way Croatia are also winners. They have shown the world already that talk is cheap.

So at the next world cup there mustn't be a any fucken excuses for the SE and all the rest of so called minnows in the football world.
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

The Eagle wrote:
guest83 wrote:I'm supporting Croatia for the final. With all due respect, they are not all world class players but the sheer willpower to sacrifice for the cause is impressive.

I must say it would be quite a thing to see a team from outside "the usual suspects" win the trophy.

Come to think of it .... as near as I can tell .... this is the first time a team that wasn't one of the usual suspects made it to the final in the modern era. I consider the Netherlands to be one of the usual suspects, by the way, even though they haven't won it .... yet.

I am not sure that I think Croatia will win it though. To be clear, I am not saying I don't want them to win, just that I am not sure I think they will. If you understand me. :)
What happened in the past doesn't really mean anything. Not in the times we're living in. I don't know what is wrong with the SE.. surely there are lots of things that are broken..tons of excuses to be made.

But the one thing that really pisses me off is the commitment and FIRE IN THE ASSES of the players is not there. I have mentioned this before and maybe singled out some players undeservingly but still. It makes you appreciate the 94' and 96' teams even more when you take into account times were even more hard back then.

They burst on to the world scene and did it with style against all odds. That to me is NIGERIAN and don't see it today.. just a bunch of nobodies in the team that I suspect are really not Nigerians in the first place. And this ROHR guy..what a joke
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Speaking of hearts and lungs, 3 Croatians out of 5 have ran the greatest distance this WC: Modric, Rakitic, and Perisic. Interestingly, Kante of France is 1 of them.

Rebic was class clocked as fast as Ronaldo on speed. He’s powerfully built and strong too. I’m just making the point that we’re a pretty athletic squad.

France is no doubt the favorite. But we have a fighting chance.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

ojafranpa wrote:Croatia will win the World Cup!!!
I think so too. They seem like a team of destiny.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mate wrote:

Speaking of hearts and lungs, 3 Croatians out of 5 have ran the greatest distance this WC: Modric, Rakitic, and Perisic. Interestingly, Kante of France is 1 of them.

Rebic was class clocked as fast as Ronaldo on speed. He’s powerfully built and strong too. I’m just making the point that we’re a pretty athletic squad.

France is no doubt the favorite. But we have a fighting chance.
Could it be because in this tourney Croatia has played more minutes than any other team? I believe I saw a report that they've played ~115 more minutes than the France team that also made the final, that's over a full match more.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Excellent point Yemster. It would n interesting to see how much was in those extra minutes. Actually relative to how many minutes played, taking into account substitutions.

Here is an excellent article where Rakitic speaks, among other things, fitness. But I like this quite best:

Rakitic said he would even sacrifice his career to beat France: "I would definitely leave my football boots behind on Monday if that was the price I had to pay to win for my country, to win for Croatia."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fif ... 4zrh3.html
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

You should be proud of your boys Mate. They did well
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Get rid of Rebic. He is the weakest link in your team!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Get rid of Rebic. He is the weakest link in your team!

He doesn't seem to be the smartest guy. But he's big, fast, and actually has decent enough skill. Rumor has it that Bayern will take him.

Maybe they can tame this runaway Rhino?

We did well overall. A WC final is immense progress for us. We were indeed a fleet footed world class forward short.

We'll be working on it. Croatia has solid academies. This WC will inspire another wave. As we always discuss, these things take decades. You need 5 - 10 year plans.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mate wrote:

He doesn't seem to be the smartest guy. But he's big, fast, and actually has decent enough skill. Rumor has it that Bayern will take him.

We did well overall. A WC final is immense progress for us. We were indeed a fleet footed world class forward short.

We'll be working on it. Croatia has solid academies. This WC will inspire another wave. As we always discuss, these things take decades. You need 5 - 10 year plans.
Please help me repeat that louder and clearer to my Nigerian brethren who want instant results as if the Croatias, Icelands, Swedens and Koreas of this world simply turn up to take pictures.
Congrats on a brilliant campaign mate.
You must be mighty proud. :thumb:

(And your President aint half bad herself, hugging all those sweaty athletes in the pouring rain.) :shyluv:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mate wrote:

However, some of your players will be retiring from international football and replacing them will be difficult. I expect Modric and Rakatic who are in their 30s to now quit the national team for instance.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Congrats CE Mate. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Worthy warriors and glad Nigeria met this team of Croatians along the way.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

There are lots of players in the pipeline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia_n ... tball_team

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/spor ... d-football

I'm not saying they will become a Modric or Raketic. It's 20 years removed between these guys vs Boban, Asanovic, and Prosinecki. But the development process is more scientific and systematic. The Croatian FA and government, for all its faults, is putting in money and resources.

We actually have way more youth players in football right now than 20 years ago. It remains to be seen if they bear fruit. But if it matters, you will note a number are also at foreign academies in other Western European nations.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mate wrote:There are lots of players in the pipeline.

I'm not saying they will become a Modric or Raketic. It's 20 years removed between these guys vs Boban, Asanovic, and Prosinecki. But the development process is more scientific and systematic. The Croatian FA and government, for all its faults, is putting in money and resources.

We actually have way more youth players in football right now than 20 years ago. It remains to be seen if they bear fruit. But if it matters, you will note a number are also at foreign academies in other Western European nations.
I take your point but football is so unpredictable. On average, no more than 10% of youth players go on to have successful senior careers.

Did you hear Alan Shearer say that only him and David James made it to the England senior team from their U20 squad? It may take Croatia another 30 years to produce another Modric. Hungary has not been able to find another Puskas and Poland has not found another Boniek!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Ayo

Here's another link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/215 ... om-croatia

We have a ladder approach. There are always age bracket pools being developed. As you go up the ladder, the goal is to get them into better academies and teams. That keeps the pipeline at least full...hoping for a blooming and maturation of talent.

You might not a lot of the players in these articles are in top European leagues already. When I last checked, the number of Croatians playing abroad even at a young age is among the highest. All in all, it's a matter of cultural will to invest in and create this ecosystem.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mate wrote:There are lots of players in the pipeline.

I take your point but football is so unpredictable. On average, no more than 10% of youth players go on to have successful senior careers.

Did you hear Alan Shearer say that only him and David James made it to the England senior team from their U20 squad? It may take Croatia another 30 years to produce another Modric. Hungary has not been able to find another Puskas and Poland has not found another Boniek!
True.

But read my last post on the numbers game. Even though we are a small nation, we tend to put disproportionally larger #'s of youth in foreign leagues. That's when you really start counting what is sown, hoping it's reaped into the stars you mention.

On the matter of stars, Croatia produces a disproportional share. We have a fine history. Much better than Hungary and Poland across time. We've discussed Yugoslavia on other threads...where Croatians have always featured.

We like football. It's a point of pride. We will continue to invest in it and aspire to win the WC.

The most important lesson for Croatia this WC has been developing pedigree. A confidence and composure born of experience. We choked in the past. We didn't this time. We played to full potential...which makes me beam with pride.

It wasn't enough today against France. But I see us in striking distance of a WC win. We'll do better next time. Progression.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

My love for Croatia will grow and grow.

:shyluv: :shyluv: :shyluv:

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Damunk wrote:
mate wrote:

Please help me repeat that louder and clearer to my Nigerian brethren who want instant results as if the Croatias, Icelands, Swedens and Koreas of this world simply turn up to take pictures.
Congrats on a brilliant campaign mate.
You must be mighty proud. :thumb:

(And your President aint half bad herself, hugging all those sweaty athletes in the pouring rain.) :shyluv:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Who shall I hug next :shyluv: :shyluv: