Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am
Posts: 3849
Most common matches in FIFA World Cup historyStar post
(This is an anecdotical post. It was made purely for statistical purposes)

I made a list of what matches were played the most in the tournament. Former teams are included in the current team statistics, so for instance, Serbia includes Yugoslavia, Germany includes West Germany, etc. The order of the matches, and the order of the teams in a given match, are in alphabetical order.

For the three most common matches, I also list every match in that number. Enjoy.

Teams Matches played
Brazil vs. Sweden 7
Argentina vs. Germany 7
Germany vs. Serbia 7
Argentina vs. England 5
Argentina vs. Italy 5
Argentina vs. Netherlands 5
Belgium vs. Russia 5
Brazil vs. Czech Republic 5
Brazil vs. Italy 5
Brazil vs. Netherlands 5
Brazil vs. Spain 5
England vs. Germany 5
France vs. Italy 5
Germany vs. Italy 5
Argentina vs. Brazil 4
Argentina vs. Nigeria 4
Austria vs. Germany 4
Austria vs. Italy 4
Brazil vs. Chile 4
Brazil vs. England 4
Brazil vs. France 4
Brazil vs. Mexico 4
Brazil vs. Poland 4
Brazil vs. Scotland 4
Brazil vs. Serbia 4
France vs. Germany 4
France vs. Mexico 4
Germany vs. Spain 4
Germany vs. Sweden 4
Germany vs. Switzerland 4
Germany vs. Uruguay 4
Brazil vs. Sweden (Brazil leads 5-2-0)

1938, Third-place match. Brazil 4-2 Sweden

1950, Final round. Brazil 7-1 Sweden

1958, Final. Brazil 5-2 Sweden

1978, Group 3. Brazil 1-1 Sweden

1990, Group C. Brazil 2-1 Sweden

1994, Group B. Brazil 1-1 Sweden

1994, Semi-finals. Brazil 1-0 Sweden

Argentina vs. Germany (Germany leads 4-2-1)

1958, Group 1. Argentina 1-3 West Germany

1966, Group 2. Argentina 0-0 West Germany

1986, Final. Argentina 3-2 West Germany

1990, Final. Argentina 0-1 West Germany

2006, Quarter-finals. Argentina 1-1 Germany

2010, Quarter-finals. Argentina 0-4 Germany

2014, Final. Argentina 0-1 Germany

Germany vs. Serbia (Germany leads 4-1-2)

1954, Quarter-finals. West Germany 2-0 Yugoslavia

1958, Quarter-finals. West Germany 1-0 Yugoslavia

1962, Quarter-finals. West Germany 0-1 Yugoslavia

1974, Second Round, group B. West Germany 2-0 Yugoslavia

1990, Group D. West Germany 4-1 Yugoslavia

1998, Group F. Germany 2-2 FR Yugoslavia

2010, Group D. Germany 0-1 Serbia

And some bonus facts:

In Russia, Argentina and Nigeria will share group D, Brazil and Serbia will be on group E, and Germany and Sweden will play on group F.

Also, we could have again a Brazil-Sweden or Germany-Serbia on Round of 16.

If we only count matches on the first round of the tournament, the table would look like this:

Teams Matches played
Argentina vs. Nigeria 4+
Brazil vs. Serbia 4+
Brazil vs. Mexico 4
Brazil vs. Scotland 4
Brazil vs. Spain 4
Brazil vs. Sweden 4
France vs. Mexico 4
Germany vs. Switzerland 4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:16 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 5585
Location: Exile
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Argentina vs. Nigeria 4


Two things ....

First, please include a source link for the article. Seems like an interesting topic, so I'd hate for it to get locked for that reason.

Secondly, we've played the Argentines 5 times .... 1994, 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018. I wish I could say it was a rivalry. :lol:

_________________
Image
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
Being controversial will lose you some votes. Being genuinely courageous will lose you the election.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am
Posts: 3849
It was from Reddit....This was done prior to the world cup and they made a reference to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Posts: 26643
Location: Southern Hemisphere
What makes the Argentina, Nigeria one crazy is the amount of times we have qualified, when we first qualified etc.

You might even look at it from % of matches played against a particular country.

_________________
Bixente Lizarazu once described Spain’s football - which won them two European titles and a World Cup - as “love without the sex. It lacks a bit of spice”. News.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 12892
Location: South London
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Posts: 26643
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.


5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.

_________________
Bixente Lizarazu once described Spain’s football - which won them two European titles and a World Cup - as “love without the sex. It lacks a bit of spice”. News.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 12892
Location: South London
Tbite wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.


5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.

Yes that’s true and furthers the point.

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:37 pm
Posts: 13636
Location: Sandton, SA
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.


5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.

Yes that’s true and furthers the point.

Yes its beginning to sound like "Random with Bias", this Nigeria-Argentina thingy, what is also bad is the lob sided result...Ok i digress

_________________
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 5585
Location: Exile
akamoke wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.


5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.

Yes that’s true and furthers the point.

Yes its beginning to sound like "Random with Bias", this Nigeria-Argentina thingy, what is also bad is the lob sided result...Ok i digress


There is nothing really wrong with it. The only real problem is we've never been strong enough to make it a true rivalry. Had it been that it had been six matches (instead of five), with two wins each, two losses each, and two draws .... and had one of the 6 matches been a World Cup semifinal rematch of an earlier group phase match, where the semifinal ended in a last-minute heartbreak for one of the teams .... well, then it would have been a storied rivalry.

Besides, it is not like we would necessarily have done better with a different South American team in our group. Brazil, as near as I can recall, beats African teams 3-0 at the World Cup, the same score by which we lost to them in our friendly (and the score of most of our matches against Kenya). And when we had Paraguay, well, you know what happened. That said .... I am rather keen on seeing us play the likes of Brazil and Colombia at the World Cup, even if we lose. The real fun of the World Cup is facing interesting teams you rarely have the chance to face in serious (i.e. non-friendly) matches.

Another thing that would be interesting is if two African teams qualified from their groups in such a way that we would witness the first Africa-versus-Africa match at the World Cup. Ideally, in the quarterfinals, so one African team is guaranteed a semifinal place, but the Second Round is a more realistic stage at which such a match could occur (and for now, I use "realistic" loosely). I have suffered the hypertension of watching Nigeria in loser-goes-home matches against Cameroun, Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia .... but never at a World Cup.

Anyway .... what starting 11 and formation do you gentlemen think we should use against Argentina in 2022 in Qatar? :lol:

PS: Had we progressed from our group in 2018, it would have been France .... again ... and again in the Second Round.

_________________
Image
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
Being controversial will lose you some votes. Being genuinely courageous will lose you the election.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:51 am
Posts: 14390
The Eagle wrote:
akamoke wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.


5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.

Yes that’s true and furthers the point.

Yes its beginning to sound like "Random with Bias", this Nigeria-Argentina thingy, what is also bad is the lob sided result...Ok i digress


There is nothing really wrong with it. The only real problem is we've never been strong enough to make it a true rivalry. Had it been that it had been six matches (instead of five), with two wins each, two losses each, and two draws .... and had one of the 6 matches been a World Cup semifinal rematch of an earlier group phase match, where the semifinal ended in a last-minute heartbreak for one of the teams .... well, then it would have been a storied rivalry.

Besides, it is not like we would necessarily have done better with a different South American team in our group. Brazil, as near as I can recall, beats African teams 3-0 at the World Cup, the same score by which we lost to them in our friendly (and the score of most of our matches against Kenya). And when we had Paraguay, well, you know what happened. That said .... I am rather keen on seeing us play the likes of Brazil and Colombia at the World Cup, even if we lose. The real fun of the World Cup is facing interesting teams you rarely have the chance to face in serious (i.e. non-friendly) matches.

Another thing that would be interesting is if two African teams qualified from their groups in such a way that we would witness the first Africa-versus-Africa match at the World Cup. Ideally, in the quarterfinals, so one African team is guaranteed a semifinal place, but the Second Round is a more realistic stage at which such a match could occur (and for now, I use "realistic" loosely). I have suffered the hypertension of watching Nigeria in loser-goes-home matches against Cameroun, Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia .... but never at a World Cup.

Anyway .... what starting 11 and formation do you gentlemen think we should use against Argentina in 2022 in Qatar? :lol:

PS: Had we progressed from our group in 2018, it would have been France .... again ... and again in the Second Round.

I need a break from the Nigeria football team. Rohr shouldn't lead us to 2022 - he should go whatever the outcome of AFCON 2019 - assuming we qualify. And the NFF should be grooming his successor NOW as part of the coaching team. I've seen and heard enough of Rohr to realise he's a man of limited ambition.

_________________

WC go sweet o
DNQ no good o

-
Cellular quotes
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016
-
© The YeyeMan 2018
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Posts: 26643
Location: Southern Hemisphere
TheEagle I get your point and I knew someone would make it.

BUT personally I prefer Nigeria be yanshed by different folk than the same every time.

It is like a cruel repetitive nightmare. At least if we must lose, let it APPEAR to be different, even if it is not.

_________________
Bixente Lizarazu once described Spain’s football - which won them two European titles and a World Cup - as “love without the sex. It lacks a bit of spice”. News.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:25 am
Posts: 32697
Location: ßos✞on ✈️ Mo✞own ✈️ Lægos
The Eagle wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Argentina vs. Nigeria 4


Two things ....

First, please include a source link for the article. Seems like an interesting topic, so I'd hate for it to get locked for that reason.

Secondly, we've played the Argentines 5 times .... 1994, 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018. I wish I could say it was a rivalry. :lol:

I think this might've been collated before this world cup.

_________________
O-Qua Tangin Wann! "It's all laughs till he walks into an empty room with plastic on the floor." - Goodfellas

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 12892
Location: South London
The YeyeMan wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
akamoke wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.


5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.

Yes that’s true and furthers the point.

Yes its beginning to sound like "Random with Bias", this Nigeria-Argentina thingy, what is also bad is the lob sided result...Ok i digress


There is nothing really wrong with it. The only real problem is we've never been strong enough to make it a true rivalry. Had it been that it had been six matches (instead of five), with two wins each, two losses each, and two draws .... and had one of the 6 matches been a World Cup semifinal rematch of an earlier group phase match, where the semifinal ended in a last-minute heartbreak for one of the teams .... well, then it would have been a storied rivalry.

Besides, it is not like we would necessarily have done better with a different South American team in our group. Brazil, as near as I can recall, beats African teams 3-0 at the World Cup, the same score by which we lost to them in our friendly (and the score of most of our matches against Kenya). And when we had Paraguay, well, you know what happened. That said .... I am rather keen on seeing us play the likes of Brazil and Colombia at the World Cup, even if we lose. The real fun of the World Cup is facing interesting teams you rarely have the chance to face in serious (i.e. non-friendly) matches.

Another thing that would be interesting is if two African teams qualified from their groups in such a way that we would witness the first Africa-versus-Africa match at the World Cup. Ideally, in the quarterfinals, so one African team is guaranteed a semifinal place, but the Second Round is a more realistic stage at which such a match could occur (and for now, I use "realistic" loosely). I have suffered the hypertension of watching Nigeria in loser-goes-home matches against Cameroun, Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia .... but never at a World Cup.

Anyway .... what starting 11 and formation do you gentlemen think we should use against Argentina in 2022 in Qatar? :lol:

PS: Had we progressed from our group in 2018, it would have been France .... again ... and again in the Second Round.

I need a break from the Nigeria football team. Rohr shouldn't lead us to 2022 - he should go whatever the outcome of AFCON 2019 - assuming we qualify. And the NFF should be grooming his successor NOW as part of the coaching team. I've seen and heard enough of Rohr to realise he's a man of limited ambition.

The NFF have limited ambition and won't be grooming any successor or will they pay any Nigerian in time and things will go back to way they where until the next World Cup qualifiers are on the way thus the cycle will continue.Failing to prepare and preparing to fail but in Nigeria they try to get lucky without even trying.

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:01 pm
Posts: 24631
Location: Copacabana
Ghana vs Uganda nko?

_________________
Image
*** Every child is A STAR! ***
SUPER EAGLES - Fly Above the Storm!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
"If you are tribalistic you have no right to complain about racism!!!"
* Kingsley Moghalu * Omoyele Sowore * Fela Durotoye *


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 10526
Location: seattle
That was back in the stone age

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: balo, felarey, maceo4, Majestic-12 [Bot], oloye, Siddonlook11 and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group