Most common matchups in FIFA World Cup history

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Most common matchups in FIFA World Cup history

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Most common matches in FIFA World Cup historyStar post
(This is an anecdotical post. It was made purely for statistical purposes)

I made a list of what matches were played the most in the tournament. Former teams are included in the current team statistics, so for instance, Serbia includes Yugoslavia, Germany includes West Germany, etc. The order of the matches, and the order of the teams in a given match, are in alphabetical order.

For the three most common matches, I also list every match in that number. Enjoy.

Teams Matches played
Brazil vs. Sweden 7
Argentina vs. Germany 7
Germany vs. Serbia 7
Argentina vs. England 5
Argentina vs. Italy 5
Argentina vs. Netherlands 5
Belgium vs. Russia 5
Brazil vs. Czech Republic 5
Brazil vs. Italy 5
Brazil vs. Netherlands 5
Brazil vs. Spain 5
England vs. Germany 5
France vs. Italy 5
Germany vs. Italy 5
Argentina vs. Brazil 4
Argentina vs. Nigeria 4
Austria vs. Germany 4
Austria vs. Italy 4
Brazil vs. Chile 4
Brazil vs. England 4
Brazil vs. France 4
Brazil vs. Mexico 4
Brazil vs. Poland 4
Brazil vs. Scotland 4
Brazil vs. Serbia 4
France vs. Germany 4
France vs. Mexico 4
Germany vs. Spain 4
Germany vs. Sweden 4
Germany vs. Switzerland 4
Germany vs. Uruguay 4
Brazil vs. Sweden (Brazil leads 5-2-0)

1938, Third-place match. Brazil 4-2 Sweden

1950, Final round. Brazil 7-1 Sweden

1958, Final. Brazil 5-2 Sweden

1978, Group 3. Brazil 1-1 Sweden

1990, Group C. Brazil 2-1 Sweden

1994, Group B. Brazil 1-1 Sweden

1994, Semi-finals. Brazil 1-0 Sweden

Argentina vs. Germany (Germany leads 4-2-1)

1958, Group 1. Argentina 1-3 West Germany

1966, Group 2. Argentina 0-0 West Germany

1986, Final. Argentina 3-2 West Germany

1990, Final. Argentina 0-1 West Germany

2006, Quarter-finals. Argentina 1-1 Germany

2010, Quarter-finals. Argentina 0-4 Germany

2014, Final. Argentina 0-1 Germany

Germany vs. Serbia (Germany leads 4-1-2)

1954, Quarter-finals. West Germany 2-0 Yugoslavia

1958, Quarter-finals. West Germany 1-0 Yugoslavia

1962, Quarter-finals. West Germany 0-1 Yugoslavia

1974, Second Round, group B. West Germany 2-0 Yugoslavia

1990, Group D. West Germany 4-1 Yugoslavia

1998, Group F. Germany 2-2 FR Yugoslavia

2010, Group D. Germany 0-1 Serbia

And some bonus facts:

In Russia, Argentina and Nigeria will share group D, Brazil and Serbia will be on group E, and Germany and Sweden will play on group F.

Also, we could have again a Brazil-Sweden or Germany-Serbia on Round of 16.

If we only count matches on the first round of the tournament, the table would look like this:

Teams Matches played
Argentina vs. Nigeria 4+
Brazil vs. Serbia 4+
Brazil vs. Mexico 4
Brazil vs. Scotland 4
Brazil vs. Spain 4
Brazil vs. Sweden 4
France vs. Mexico 4
Germany vs. Switzerland 4
The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Re: Most common matchups in FIFA World Cup history

Post by The Eagle »

Benedict Iroha wrote: Argentina vs. Nigeria 4
Two things ....

First, please include a source link for the article. Seems like an interesting topic, so I'd hate for it to get locked for that reason.

Secondly, we've played the Argentines 5 times .... 1994, 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018. I wish I could say it was a rivalry. :lol:
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

It was from Reddit....This was done prior to the world cup and they made a reference to it.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

What makes the Argentina, Nigeria one crazy is the amount of times we have qualified, when we first qualified etc.

You might even look at it from % of matches played against a particular country.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.
5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tbite wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Considering Nigeria has only played in 6 World Cups (a lot for Africa) it’s strange how we’ve meet Argentina 4 times.
5 in 6 brother.

If we meet them in the next WC, FIFA need to tweak their seeding and grouping methods.
Yes that’s true and furthers the point.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
5 in 6 brother.

Yes its beginning to sound like "Random with Bias", this Nigeria-Argentina thingy, what is also bad is the lob sided result...Ok i digress
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

akamoke wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
5 in 6 brother.

Yes its beginning to sound like "Random with Bias", this Nigeria-Argentina thingy, what is also bad is the lob sided result...Ok i digress
There is nothing really wrong with it. The only real problem is we've never been strong enough to make it a true rivalry. Had it been that it had been six matches (instead of five), with two wins each, two losses each, and two draws .... and had one of the 6 matches been a World Cup semifinal rematch of an earlier group phase match, where the semifinal ended in a last-minute heartbreak for one of the teams .... well, then it would have been a storied rivalry.

Besides, it is not like we would necessarily have done better with a different South American team in our group. Brazil, as near as I can recall, beats African teams 3-0 at the World Cup, the same score by which we lost to them in our friendly (and the score of most of our matches against Kenya). And when we had Paraguay, well, you know what happened. That said .... I am rather keen on seeing us play the likes of Brazil and Colombia at the World Cup, even if we lose. The real fun of the World Cup is facing interesting teams you rarely have the chance to face in serious (i.e. non-friendly) matches.

Another thing that would be interesting is if two African teams qualified from their groups in such a way that we would witness the first Africa-versus-Africa match at the World Cup. Ideally, in the quarterfinals, so one African team is guaranteed a semifinal place, but the Second Round is a more realistic stage at which such a match could occur (and for now, I use "realistic" loosely). I have suffered the hypertension of watching Nigeria in loser-goes-home matches against Cameroun, Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia .... but never at a World Cup.

Anyway .... what starting 11 and formation do you gentlemen think we should use against Argentina in 2022 in Qatar? :lol:

PS: Had we progressed from our group in 2018, it would have been France .... again ... and again in the Second Round.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The Eagle wrote:
akamoke wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
5 in 6 brother.

There is nothing really wrong with it. The only real problem is we've never been strong enough to make it a true rivalry. Had it been that it had been six matches (instead of five), with two wins each, two losses each, and two draws .... and had one of the 6 matches been a World Cup semifinal rematch of an earlier group phase match, where the semifinal ended in a last-minute heartbreak for one of the teams .... well, then it would have been a storied rivalry.

Besides, it is not like we would necessarily have done better with a different South American team in our group. Brazil, as near as I can recall, beats African teams 3-0 at the World Cup, the same score by which we lost to them in our friendly (and the score of most of our matches against Kenya). And when we had Paraguay, well, you know what happened. That said .... I am rather keen on seeing us play the likes of Brazil and Colombia at the World Cup, even if we lose. The real fun of the World Cup is facing interesting teams you rarely have the chance to face in serious (i.e. non-friendly) matches.

Another thing that would be interesting is if two African teams qualified from their groups in such a way that we would witness the first Africa-versus-Africa match at the World Cup. Ideally, in the quarterfinals, so one African team is guaranteed a semifinal place, but the Second Round is a more realistic stage at which such a match could occur (and for now, I use "realistic" loosely). I have suffered the hypertension of watching Nigeria in loser-goes-home matches against Cameroun, Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia .... but never at a World Cup.

Anyway .... what starting 11 and formation do you gentlemen think we should use against Argentina in 2022 in Qatar? :lol:

PS: Had we progressed from our group in 2018, it would have been France .... again ... and again in the Second Round.
I need a break from the Nigeria football team. Rohr shouldn't lead us to 2022 - he should go whatever the outcome of AFCON 2019 - assuming we qualify. And the NFF should be grooming his successor NOW as part of the coaching team. I've seen and heard enough of Rohr to realise he's a man of limited ambition.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

TheEagle I get your point and I knew someone would make it.

BUT personally I prefer Nigeria be yanshed by different folk than the same every time.

It is like a cruel repetitive nightmare. At least if we must lose, let it APPEAR to be different, even if it is not.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The Eagle wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote: Argentina vs. Nigeria 4
Two things ....

First, please include a source link for the article. Seems like an interesting topic, so I'd hate for it to get locked for that reason.

Secondly, we've played the Argentines 5 times .... 1994, 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018. I wish I could say it was a rivalry. :lol:
I think this might've been collated before this world cup.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The YeyeMan wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
akamoke wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:
5 in 6 brother.

I need a break from the Nigeria football team. Rohr shouldn't lead us to 2022 - he should go whatever the outcome of AFCON 2019 - assuming we qualify. And the NFF should be grooming his successor NOW as part of the coaching team. I've seen and heard enough of Rohr to realise he's a man of limited ambition.
The NFF have limited ambition and won't be grooming any successor or will they pay any Nigerian in time and things will go back to way they where until the next World Cup qualifiers are on the way thus the cycle will continue.Failing to prepare and preparing to fail but in Nigeria they try to get lucky without even trying.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Ghana vs Uganda nko?
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

That was back in the stone age
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."