2018 WORLD CUP FINAL: FRANCE VS CROATIA 4-2 (FT)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2018 WORLD CUP FINAL: FRANCE VS CROATIA 4-2 (FT)

Post by danfo driver »

KB wrote:Congrats to Russia for a tournament without incident!
This will hurt the English deeply! :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote:
KB wrote:For me, Belgium were the best team in the tournament.
Good for you.

Now dash dem your KB-trophy.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:
You have no shame , I have never seen such a talker liken you. You reduced Deschamps all year, and today ypu come here ranting etc...i am surprise that you stopped upping Rohr. ..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
goke313 wrote:Crotian PM
She's the Croatian president, not PM.
:shock: :shock:
Now I see why she is giving every guy a beeg hug. :sneaky:
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

France and Brazil were the best 2 teams for me this WC followed by Crotia and Belgium. However Croatia bossed the first half and were unlucky to be down at halftime. I still haven't seen the highlights but the PK changed the game and could've led to Croatia winning it in the second half. Nonetheless, hats off to both teams. Croatia was fantastic and serve as an inspiration to other teams that you can develop a competitive program and compete with the big boys regardless of your size.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Heliopolis wrote:France and Brazil were the best 2 teams for me this WC followed by Crotia and Belgium. However Croatia bossed the first half and were unlucky to be down at halftime. I still haven't seen the highlights but the PK changed the game and could've led to Croatia winning it in the second half. Nonetheless, hats off to both teams. Croatia was fantastic and serve as an inspiration to other teams that you can develop a competitive program and compete with the big boys regardless of your size.
:shock: :shock: :shock: They wasted too much time rolling on the ground. Brazil's attack struggled without Diego Costa.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

ohsee wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
goke313 wrote:Crotian PM
She's the Croatian president, not PM.
:shock: :shock:
Now I see why she is giving every guy a beeg hug. :sneaky:
FAKE NEWS
That's Coco

Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

danfo driver wrote:
They're latching onto the VAR penalty that was given against Croatia and trying to make drama out of that.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Heliopolis wrote:France and Brazil were the best 2 teams for me this WC followed by Crotia and Belgium. However Croatia bossed the first half and were unlucky to be down at halftime. I still haven't seen the highlights but the PK changed the game and could've led to Croatia winning it in the second half. Nonetheless, hats off to both teams. Croatia was fantastic and serve as an inspiration to other teams that you can develop a competitive program and compete with the big boys regardless of your size.
I agree with you. Croatia were the better team in the first half, but lacked inventiveness in the final third. The only player that had any ideas was Perisic.

Deschamps will say that his tactics were vindicated but he turned what could have been a fantastic offensive side into a pragmatic defense oriented team.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Apparently Kante was ill with a stomach bug. No wonder, played poorly.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

mate wrote:I still feel hard done by the 2 major officiating calls. Griezmann dove. And no way was that a penalty...as no human could react to intentionally handle.

Watch the play in real time, not slow-mo. Perisic was also not in an unnatural position. If that is a penalty, then change to rule that ANY contact on the hand is ALWAYS a penalty.

We're talking 2 goals. That is not insignificant. Mind you, I don't know if Croatia still would have won. We didn't have effectiveness in the final 1/3 of the pitch. But it doesn't help to have such major calls go against you.

I don't begrudge a French win. Again, they're worthy across the length of the tournament. But this game is marred to a good degree by the officiating.

I strongly feel if the situations were reversed, no way would the referee call for a VAR review against France. It is what it is. I now dream of what could have been.
Commiserations mate. Croatia had a wonderful run and went further than they've ever been at the WC so try and take the positive from that.

Regarding your last point, I agree. It would not have been called if the roles were reversed. VAR has been used in this competition to favour the big teams in Western Europe. These are the rich nations that can make a lot of noise if VAR was to mess them up. You would have seen big headlines all over the place calling the credibility of VAR to question so the VAR team were very careful with calls to do with these countries.

I believe Brazil had at least one legitimate penalty call towards the end of the game against Belgium and it was waved off. If that was Germany, Italy, Spain, France or even England facing elimination they would've stopped the game, reviewed that incident, and given the right call. But they let Brazil go out because the Brazilians cannot make as much noise to negatively affect FIFA's reputation compared to the rich European nations.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Orion wrote:
mate wrote:I still feel hard done by the 2 major officiating calls. Griezmann dove. And no way was that a penalty...as no human could react to intentionally handle.

Watch the play in real time, not slow-mo. Perisic was also not in an unnatural position. If that is a penalty, then change to rule that ANY contact on the hand is ALWAYS a penalty.

We're talking 2 goals. That is not insignificant. Mind you, I don't know if Croatia still would have won. We didn't have effectiveness in the final 1/3 of the pitch. But it doesn't help to have such major calls go against you.

I don't begrudge a French win. Again, they're worthy across the length of the tournament. But this game is marred to a good degree by the officiating.

I strongly feel if the situations were reversed, no way would the referee call for a VAR review against France. It is what it is. I now dream of what could have been.
Commiserations mate. Croatia had a wonderful run and went further than they've ever been at the WC so try and take the positive from that.

Regarding your last point, I agree. It would not have been called if the roles were reversed. VAR has been used in this competition to favour the big teams in Western Europe. These are the rich nations that can make a lot of noise if VAR was to mess them up. You would have seen big headlines all over the place calling the credibility of VAR to question so the VAR team were very careful with calls to do with these countries.

I believe Brazil had at least one legitimate penalty call towards the end of the game against Belgium and it was waved off. If that was Germany, Italy, Spain, France or even England facing elimination they would've stopped the game, reviewed that incident, and given the right call. But they let Brazil go out because the Brazilians cannot make as much noise to negatively affect FIFA's reputation compared to the rich European nations.

I agree. There's a tier. The Western Europeans seem to me to get the benefit of the doubt consistently.

In our case, I don't think it was sinister. The referee just froze and didn't dare go against France. Gutless.

Well, we move on. It was a fun WC. I enjoyed sharing it with all of you.

I will come to CE more often. Last few years have been more busy with kids and work. We have football...an eternal and renewable pleasure...and, at the same time, a source of angst and frustration.

It can be no other way.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

mate wrote:
Orion wrote:

I agree. There's a tier. The Western Europeans seem to me to get the benefit of the doubt consistently.

In our case, I don't think it was sinister. The referee just froze and didn't dare go against France. Gutless.

Well, we move on. It was a fun WC. I enjoyed sharing it with all of you.

I will come to CE more often. Last few years have been more busy with kids and work. We have football...an eternal and renewable pleasure...and, at the same time, a source of angst and frustration.

It can be no other way.
The game has always been rigged. Russia was given a penalty against Croatia in injury time too, as they are the host country.