France - beginning of dominance?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kali
Egg
Egg
France - beginning of dominance?

Post by kali »

This team never really got out of second gear. They scored almost at will. Just look at how they poured in three goals against Argentina in 15 minutes and almost did the same to Croatia.

They left a deep pool of attacking talent either on the bench or away. Martial, dembele, lacazette, coman. With their core team all under 25 except griezemann France may repeat in 2022.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: France - beginning of dominance?

Post by Rawlings »

This is the same crap we heard after Germany won Brazil 2014
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

kali wrote:This team never really got out of second gear. They scored almost at will. Just look at how they poured in three goals against Argentina in 15 minutes and almost did the same to Croatia.

They left a deep pool of attacking talent either on the bench or away. Martial, dembele, lacazette, coman. With their core team all under 25 except griezemann France may repeat in 2022.
Add Benzema
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am not convinced. There are a few weak links in the team.

Start with that donkey Giroud. I am also not sold on Hernandez and Pavan, despite his wonder goal against Argentina. When you add Lloris’s erratic behaviour to the equation, this team is vulnerable.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Rawlings wrote:This is the same crap we heard after Germany won Brazil 2014
France also exited at the group stage in the following World Cup after their 98 win.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I am not convinced. There are a few weak links in the team.

Start with that donkey Giroud. I am also not sold on Hernandez and Pavan, despite his wonder goal against Argentina. When you add Lloris’s erratic behaviour to the equation, this team is vulnerable.
After they fix the weak links nko? That's what's scary. Deschamps surely will struggle if he were coaching an average team, but this team is barely breaking a sweat in spite of all these limitations
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

This is probably the end of the road for Giroud. Nabil Fekir who came in the last 15 minutes was much better. I wondered why Deschamps kept him on the bench. The France team this time reminded of Germany 2010. They were young and won the next time.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

France is what Nigeria can become if we have good leadership.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

I always laugh at critics of Giroud. Gernot Rohr will probably give his right arm to have a Giroud as our pointman.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yes France deservedly won but I do not see any domineering team at this World Cup and that includes France. In fact Germany, in spite of losing at the group stage could possibly beat France at the next meeting. The closest to a dominating team in this tournament was Belgium but yet the team lost a critical game to France.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

greg wrote:
France also exited at the group stage in the following World Cup after their 98 win.
Add Spain too
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

They poured 4 goals in against Croatia in the final. They'll win the next Euro Cup but not the next world Cup.4 years is too long for any prediction.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Brazil will win the next World Cup, I would bet on it but the odds aren't good.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thanks you - Professor Rawlings! Exactly what I was going to say
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Please remind the lazy pundits who simply jump on what's momentarily popular.
For starters, when was the last time a team repeated as WC champion?
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Deputy Igwe.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

I doubt Giroud will play for France in 2022.

Besides I doubt was all France's best today. Add to that the seemingly endless conveyor belt of young players coming through. It's not just a golden generation.

I would say it is a golden age and can be a dynasty.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Griezman impressed in a withdrawn forward role, surprised by his workrate and willingness to drop into midfield. Imagine he were playing further forward with Payet pulling the strings in the hole...it could’ve been very serious. Even Karim Abdul Jabba the Hut could’ve dropped it like Chris Wallace on Flava in Ur Ear remix. Deputy certainly had plenty in the garrison but expect Igwe I to return, red cap glowing like he ran over a invincibility star on Mario Kart.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

If they can keep their egos in check, sky is the limit, remember they have some players who could not make the squad, for example Anthony Martial, what a talent
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Abeg the spine of the team is solid. From the CD of Umtiti/Ven to the midfield anchored by Pogba and an attack led by Mbappe this teal is loaded. Wont be surprised if they retain the cup in 2022 when you considered that their key players in this world cup are yet to mature and reach their peak.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

They'll be favourites to win Euro 2020. They have the tools to be a dominant force in the years to come but the key issue will be maintaining the motivation required to win big tournaments. Also, a lot of the big guns have done very poorly over the last year including teams like Italy and Holland that didn't qualify for this WC so they will be doing serious soul searching which will lead to stiffer competition in future tournaments.
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

This French B team would have made the semi-final

Costil (Bordeux)

Sakho (Crystal Palace)
Zouma (Chelsea)
Koscielny (Arsenal)
Debuchy

Riberry (Bayern Muninch)
Sissoko (Tottenham)
Coman (Bayern Munich)
Rabiot (PSG)

Lacazette (Arsenal)
Benzema (Real Madrid)
Martial (Man Utd)

Subs
Laporte (Man City)
Mangala (Everton)
Payet (Marseille)
Digne (Barcelona)
Last edited by sayala on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Deschamps really understood this team better than anyone. France is at its best, when they counter attack, because they have better athletes at most key positions.
Deschamps' main objective was to beat up his opponents physically. Then eventually outrun them. That's why Giroud played most of the game over Dembele.
France lacks true playmakers and decision makers, who can actually dictate the game tactically.
They struggle a lot, if they are asked to dictate the game offensively. They struggled to break down Australia, and even Peru. They couldn't break down a defensive Portugal team 2 years ago at the Euros.
The good thing going for France is, they have lots of young players in their pipeline. Competition for places is fierce. But, Italy, Holland and even Germany will be better in a couple of years after disappointing years.