Nigeria’s Football Conundrum: A story of Self Interest...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria’s Football Conundrum: A story of Self Interest...

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

[quote][/quote]Rather than build on the gains made by Stephen Keshi at the 2014 World Cup, the chieftains of the NFF decided to disrupt and dismantle the team. Indeed, even as Keshi was executing his strategy on-field against Bosnia, the plot for his removal was well underway. Numerous foreign coaches were consulted about replacing Keshi but nothing came to fruition and the NFF settled on Sunday Oliseh, with whom they had a rather tumultuous relationship, one that ended acrimoniously after s short period of time. Amaju Pinnick then hired Gernot Rohr, a German born coach of questionable talent and pedigree, whose main claim to fame was having been the coach of Niger republic but more about that later. The NFF, rather than invest time in scouting Nigerian talent, embarked on a recruiting spree of sub par and unknown foreign born or bred players of Nigerian ancestors, even going as far as guaranteeing them spots on the Nigerian World Cup roster. Is it any surprise then that both Tyronne Ebuehi and Brian Idowu both jumped at the chance? Tyronne Ebuehi wasn’t anywhere near the vicinity of Germany’s radar and, before you take to your keyboards to curse me out, ask yourselves if Brian Idowu, had he not committed to Nigeria, would have made Russia’s C team. Now back to Rohr for a moment. After some trial and errors, he settled on Ikechukwu Ezenwa during the World Cup qualifiers. In spite of Ezenwa’s near stellar performance (he conceded one goal via penalty all through the qualifiers and also came up with many an incredible save), he was unfairly and unnecessarily vilified in the press. Enter Francis Uzoho, the purportedly 18 year-old from Deportivo B which plays in the Spanish 3rd division. He was tested in 6 friendlies during which he conceded 8 goals and Nigeria won 2, drew 1 and lost 3. Subsequently, he was taken to the World Cup as the SuperEagles #1 goalie where he conceded another 4 goals and Nigeria exited the World Cup after the first round. I am still scratching my head wondering by what logic or imperative does anyone conclude that an untested and inexperienced teenager is better than the safe hands that helped us navigate the qualifiers safely. It is somewhat difficult to notice because of the qualifiers but the team that turned out for Nigeria during the World Cup was quite a bit different from the one that got us through the qualifiers; and therein lies the reason Nigeria did not advance out of the first round. All of this leads me to conclude that neither Pinnick nor Rohr really expected Nigeria to qualify for the World Cup. Am I the only one who can see that Uzoho, Ebuehi and Idowu were Pinnick’s decisions not Rohr’s, meaning that Rohr is here simply to do his master’s bidding? I was unable to find out just how much Rohr was paid as coach of Niger Republicbut it is noteworthy that Rohr is currently being paid more than 3 times what Sunday Oliseh was paid to coach Nigeria. For that much money, most mediocre coaches would do exactly what they’re told. Any one who thinks 2022 will be different under this same management is just pipe dreaming :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Football Conundrum in Nigeria: A story of Self Interest.

Post by Cellular »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Rather than build on the gains made by Stephen Keshi at the 2014 World Cup, the chieftains of the NFF decided to disrupt and dismantle the team. Indeed, even as Keshi was executing his strategy on-field against Bosnia, the plot for his removal was well underway. Numerous foreign coaches were consulted about replacing Keshi but nothing came to fruition and the NFF settled on Sunday Oliseh, with whom they had a rather tumultuous relationship, one that ended acrimoniously after s short period of time. Amaju Pinnick then hired Gernot Rohr, a German born coach of questionable talent and pedigree, whose main claim to fame was having been the coach of Niger republic but more about that later. The NFF, rather than invest time in scouting Nigerian talent, embarked on a recruiting spree of sub par and unknown foreign born or bred players of Nigerian ancestors, even going as far as guaranteeing them spots on the Nigerian World Cup roster. Is it any surprise then that both Tyronne Ebuehi and Brian Idowu both jumped at the chance? Tyronne Ebuehi wasn’t anywhere near the vicinity of Germany’s radar and, before you take to your keyboards to curse me out, ask yourselves if Brian Idowu, had he not committed to Nigeria, would have made Russia’s C team. Now back to Rohr for a moment. After some trial and errors, he settled on Ikechukwu Ezenwa during the World Cup qualifiers. In spite of Ezenwa’s near stellar performance (he conceded one goal via penalty all through the qualifiers and also came up with many an incredible save), he was unfairly and unnecessarily vilified in the press. Enter Francis Uzoho, the purportedly 18 year-old from Deportivo B which plays in the Spanish 3rd division. He was tested in 6 friendlies during which he conceded 8 goals and Nigeria won 2, drew 1 and lost 3. Subsequently, he was taken to the World Cup as the SuperEagles #1 goalie where he conceded another 4 goals and Nigeria exited the World Cup after the first round. I am still scratching my head wondering by what logic or imperative does anyone conclude that an untested and inexperienced teenager is better than the safe hands that helped us navigate the qualifiers safely. It is somewhat difficult to notice because of the qualifiers but the team that turned out for Nigeria during the World Cup was quite a bit different from the one that got us through the qualifiers; and therein lies the reason Nigeria did not advance out of the first round. All of this leads me to conclude that neither Pinnick nor Rohr really expected Nigeria to qualify for the World Cup. Am I the only one who can see that Uzoho, Ebuehi and Idowu were Pinnick’s decisions not Rohr’s, meaning that Rohr is here simply to do his master’s bidding? I was unable to find out just how much Rohr was paid as coach of Niger Republicbut it is noteworthy that Rohr is currently being paid more than 3 times what Sunday Oliseh was paid to coach Nigeria. For that much money, most mediocre coaches would do exactly what they’re told. Any one who thinks 2022 will be different under this same management is just pipe dreaming :!:

Cheers.
Please, provide source URL for all lifted materials.

Thank you.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Rather than build on the gains made by Stephen Keshi at the 2014 World Cup, the chieftains of the NFF decided to disrupt and dismantle the team. Indeed, even as Keshi was executing his strategy on-field against Bosnia, the plot for his removal was well underway. Numerous foreign coaches were consulted about replacing Keshi but nothing came to fruition and the NFF settled on Sunday Oliseh, with whom they had a rather tumultuous relationship, one that ended acrimoniously after s short period of time. Amaju Pinnick then hired Gernot Rohr, a German born coach of questionable talent and pedigree, whose main claim to fame was having been the coach of Niger republic but more about that later. The NFF, rather than invest time in scouting Nigerian talent, embarked on a recruiting spree of sub par and unknown foreign born or bred players of Nigerian ancestors, even going as far as guaranteeing them spots on the Nigerian World Cup roster. Is it any surprise then that both Tyronne Ebuehi and Brian Idowu both jumped at the chance? Tyronne Ebuehi wasn’t anywhere near the vicinity of Germany’s radar and, before you take to your keyboards to curse me out, ask yourselves if Brian Idowu, had he not committed to Nigeria, would have made Russia’s C team. Now back to Rohr for a moment. After some trial and errors, he settled on Ikechukwu Ezenwa during the World Cup qualifiers. In spite of Ezenwa’s near stellar performance (he conceded one goal via penalty all through the qualifiers and also came up with many an incredible save), he was unfairly and unnecessarily vilified in the press. Enter Francis Uzoho, the purportedly 18 year-old from Deportivo B which plays in the Spanish 3rd division. He was tested in 6 friendlies during which he conceded 8 goals and Nigeria won 2, drew 1 and lost 3. Subsequently, he was taken to the World Cup as the SuperEagles #1 goalie where he conceded another 4 goals and Nigeria exited the World Cup after the first round. I am still scratching my head wondering by what logic or imperative does anyone conclude that an untested and inexperienced teenager is better than the safe hands that helped us navigate the qualifiers safely. It is somewhat difficult to notice because of the qualifiers but the team that turned out for Nigeria during the World Cup was quite a bit different from the one that got us through the qualifiers; and therein lies the reason Nigeria did not advance out of the first round. All of this leads me to conclude that neither Pinnick nor Rohr really expected Nigeria to qualify for the World Cup. Am I the only one who can see that Uzoho, Ebuehi and Idowu were Pinnick’s decisions not Rohr’s, meaning that Rohr is here simply to do his master’s bidding? I was unable to find out just how much Rohr was paid as coach of Niger Republicbut it is noteworthy that Rohr is currently being paid more than 3 times what Sunday Oliseh was paid to coach Nigeria. For that much money, most mediocre coaches would do exactly what they’re told. Any one who thinks 2022 will be different under this same management is just pipe dreaming :!:

Cheers.
Poor research equates to poor analysis. Tyrone Ebuehi and Germany says it all. Pinnick was not even in charge of the NFF when the SE played Bosnia in the 2014 WC. This is a poorly written article, containing so many errors.
I am happy
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:

Cheers.
Please, provide source URL for all lifted materials.

Thank you.
No material was lifted from anywhere. This is all original thought based on my observation of current events :!:

Cheers.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:

Cheers.
Poor research equates to poor analysis. Tyrone Ebuehi and Germany says it all. Pinnick was not even in charge of the NFF when the SE played Bosnia in the 2014 WC. This is a poorly written article, containing so many errors.
So, it must have been written by TTK? :D :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Dammy wrote:

Cheers.
Really? What about Tyrone Ebuehi and Germany? And where did I say Pinnick was in charge during the game against Bosnia? I know I haven’t made any claim that isn’t absolutely true so for you to reach your conclusion shows that you absolutely lack integrity. You weren’t even able to point to even just one of the alleged errors. Your only quarrel is that my opinion does not align with yours. You are a lazy, biased and unworthy critic :!:

Cheers.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Dammy wrote:

Cheers.
De Ton fall my hand sef. If you’re going to claim conspiracy or corruption at least get your facts right. :laugh: :laugh: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Please, break up that chunk of text into readable paragraphs like Efe Ambrose breaks up attacks for Hibernian.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The YeyeMan wrote:Please, break up that chunk of text into readable paragraphs like Efe Ambrose breaks up attacks for Hibernian.
To be fair to TTK, Echiejile & Idowu were in the team, and I have seen Ambrose put in a good shift for us at both full back positions.

I guess what makes TTK's position a bit tough to accept is that he keeps calling for Ambrose as a Central Defender (although Ekong and Omeruoh did not cover themselves in glory).
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

TTK, Ebuehi is from Holland and not Germany. Try and get the right facts before opening a thread. Do proper research. Bryan Idowu cannot make the Russian C team yet he is signed by Russian champions, Locomotiv Moscow. :?:
So go back and re-write instead of resorting to personal attacks.
I am happy
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Please, break up that chunk of text into readable paragraphs like Efe Ambrose breaks up attacks for Hibernian.
To be fair to TTK, Echiejile & Idowu were in the team, and I have seen Ambrose put in a good shift for us at both full back positions.

I guess what makes TTK's position a bit tough to accept is that he keeps calling for Ambrose as a Central Defender (although Ekong and Omeruoh did not cover themselves in glory).
Central defense is where he has excelled the most at club level. Would have been perfect for Rohr’s 3-5-2 :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Dammy wrote:TTK, Ebuehi is from Holland and not Germany. Try and get the right facts before opening a thread. Do proper research. Bryan Idowu cannot make the Russian C team yet he is signed by Russian champions, Locomotiv Moscow. :?:
Holland Shmolland, Germany Shmermany. You might remotely have a point if Ebuehi had a future with Holland. How much research do you need to figure out he didn’t :?: :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Dammy wrote:TTK, Ebuehi is from Holland and not Germany. Try and get the right facts before opening a thread. Do proper research. Bryan Idowu cannot make the Russian C team yet he is signed by Russian champions, Locomotiv Moscow. :?:
Holland Shmolland, Germany Shmermany. You might remotely have a point if Ebuehi had a future with Holland. How much research do you need to figure out he didn’t :?: :!:

Cheers.
Sam Agunsoye
Egg
Egg

Post by Sam Agunsoye »

Reading this long story just bored me to my last bone. I can’t even read it all.
This is the time for continuity with support of what has started. Nigeria coach never promised anything more than expected at the last World Cup in Russia. Why are we Nigerians just hate to pulled together but to scattered any good thing brewing. We should support this young team and support continuity, lots of young talented Nigerian players keen to honour the country.
For the sake of free speech we’re all allow to same our minds anyway.