Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16546
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Quote:
The most positive attributes of the Nigerian persona that one will imagine will translate on the football pitch particularly flair are often displayed in abundance at the younger levels. Our senior teams on the other hand tend to lack that. Our players start off in Nigeria and finish in Europe. They have it at the junior level but by the time they spend time in Europe and return for the senior team they develop the earliest stages of rigor mortis. Obvious conclusion is that Europe is ascribed the blame and Mikel Obi is a prime example of the phenomena.


Quote:
An obvious hint at a disparity in football organization and a gap that shows levels of preparation, tradition, passion, middle class. You name it. We got swag and they got etcetera. Argentinians had sometimes three generations of fans including grandfathers that had not missed an Argentinian World Cup game since 1978. A fan told me that his dad brought him when he was a boy and now he was obligated to bring his sons. It means so much to them.


Quote:
Our team played well. Certainly better organized than some of the previous Nigerian teams. So, Nigerians somehow assume that this experience will yield benefits in four years. But so did Cote D’Ivoire and Ghana after elimination in 2014. The real planning hopefully has started already. Though one wonders if it is realistic to expect all the other government system struggles and lack of planning we see in numerous other sectors and somehow have it different and better in sports, which matters less.


Details and photos can be found by clicking on the link below:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/07/swag-vs-everything-else-my-reflection.html

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:08 pm
Posts: 6258
Location: Isale Gangan
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
The most positive attributes of the Nigerian persona that one will imagine will translate on the football pitch particularly flair are often displayed in abundance at the younger levels. Our senior teams on the other hand tend to lack that. Our players start off in Nigeria and finish in Europe. They have it at the junior level but by the time they spend time in Europe and return for the senior team they develop the earliest stages of rigor mortis. Obvious conclusion is that Europe is ascribed the blame and Mikel Obi is a prime example of the phenomena.


EII, The Mikel Obi example is why Pogba is at loggerheads with Mourinho. Pogba doesn’t want to be turned into a sideway passer. He’d rather leave Man Utd, than allow Jose to damage him. Unlike Mikel, he has backings and will get his way.

_________________
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16546
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Thunder wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
The most positive attributes of the Nigerian persona that one will imagine will translate on the football pitch particularly flair are often displayed in abundance at the younger levels. Our senior teams on the other hand tend to lack that. Our players start off in Nigeria and finish in Europe. They have it at the junior level but by the time they spend time in Europe and return for the senior team they develop the earliest stages of rigor mortis. Obvious conclusion is that Europe is ascribed the blame and Mikel Obi is a prime example of the phenomena.


EII, The Mikel Obi example is why Pogba is at loggerheads with Mourinho. Pogba doesn’t want to be turned into a sideway passer. He’d rather leave Man Utd, than allow Jose to damage him. Unlike Mikel, he has backings and will get his way.


Thunder,

The piece is written by a former CE "Ghost" who was at the World Cup and watched Nigeria v Argentina. His observations and insight are revealing. I think the way he links this to explain different results for Nigeria between the youth and senior levels is food for thought.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:51 am
Posts: 14423
When and why did Ghost become "former CE"?

_________________

WC go sweet o
DNQ no good o

-
Cellular quotes
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016
-
© The YeyeMan 2018
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16546
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
The YeyeMan wrote:
When and why did Ghost become "former CE"?


:lol: :lol: Well, it is more appropriate to state it as former regular-poster on CE because he still visits regularly. You should know him if you had been on the site during Allard days. He was here, at the time and thereafter, but has been lately very busy.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:08 pm
Posts: 6258
Location: Isale Gangan
Enugu II wrote:
Thunder wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
The most positive attributes of the Nigerian persona that one will imagine will translate on the football pitch particularly flair are often displayed in abundance at the younger levels. Our senior teams on the other hand tend to lack that. Our players start off in Nigeria and finish in Europe. They have it at the junior level but by the time they spend time in Europe and return for the senior team they develop the earliest stages of rigor mortis. Obvious conclusion is that Europe is ascribed the blame and Mikel Obi is a prime example of the phenomena.


EII, The Mikel Obi example is why Pogba is at loggerheads with Mourinho. Pogba doesn’t want to be turned into a sideway passer. He’d rather leave Man Utd, than allow Jose to damage him. Unlike Mikel, he has backings and will get his way.


Thunder,

The piece is written by a former CE "Ghost" who was at the World Cup and watched Nigeria v Argentina. His observations and insight are revealing. I think the way he links this to explain different results for Nigeria between the youth and senior levels is food for thought.


I think I have a clue who that is. But me think going overseas is not enough for our youths. They need strong & viable agents who will protect them & lookout for their interests. I still contend Mikel would have been among the bests in the world under the tutelage of Sir Alex.

_________________
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:38 am
Posts: 3169
I like the author's wholistic approach. The team is not world class, the coach is a _______, OK. The supporters club nko? The fair weather fans nko? Press, are you even continental class?

The WC is coming to North America in 8 years, it will be very disappointing if after "making mout" we play Australia and even they outnumber us in the stadium :oops: .

Even if the team plays rohrible football, let the support be world class. Amen!

_________________
Advocating rational thought since 1987


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16546
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Kneedeep wrote:
I like the author's wholistic approach. The team is not world class, the coach is a _______, OK. The supporters club nko? The fair weather fans nko? Press, are you even continental class?

The WC is coming to North America in 8 years, it will be very disappointing if after "making mout" we play Australia and even they outnumber us in the stadium :oops: .

Even if the team plays rohrible football, let the support be world class. Amen!


I like that he mentioned fans because we often ignore the effect of their support on the games. Imagine playing Argentina multiple times and on each occasion it feels like the game is in Buenos Aires. I feel that how Nigeria handles ticketing should be a major issue of discussion going forward because it may very well impact the result in the field.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GG of G, Google [Bot], Sam Agunsoye and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group