Watched Nigeria v Argentina LIVE: A Guest takes a Look Back

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Watched Nigeria v Argentina LIVE: A Guest takes a Look Back

Post by Enugu II »

The most positive attributes of the Nigerian persona that one will imagine will translate on the football pitch particularly flair are often displayed in abundance at the younger levels. Our senior teams on the other hand tend to lack that. Our players start off in Nigeria and finish in Europe. They have it at the junior level but by the time they spend time in Europe and return for the senior team they develop the earliest stages of rigor mortis. Obvious conclusion is that Europe is ascribed the blame and Mikel Obi is a prime example of the phenomena.
An obvious hint at a disparity in football organization and a gap that shows levels of preparation, tradition, passion, middle class. You name it. We got swag and they got etcetera. Argentinians had sometimes three generations of fans including grandfathers that had not missed an Argentinian World Cup game since 1978. A fan told me that his dad brought him when he was a boy and now he was obligated to bring his sons. It means so much to them.
Our team played well. Certainly better organized than some of the previous Nigerian teams. So, Nigerians somehow assume that this experience will yield benefits in four years. But so did Cote D’Ivoire and Ghana after elimination in 2014. The real planning hopefully has started already. Though one wonders if it is realistic to expect all the other government system struggles and lack of planning we see in numerous other sectors and somehow have it different and better in sports, which matters less.
Details and photos can be found by clicking on the link below:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/07/s ... ction.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Thunder
Egg
Egg
Re: Watched Nigeria v Argentina LIVE: A Guest takes a Look B

Post by Thunder »

Enugu II wrote:
The most positive attributes of the Nigerian persona that one will imagine will translate on the football pitch particularly flair are often displayed in abundance at the younger levels. Our senior teams on the other hand tend to lack that. Our players start off in Nigeria and finish in Europe. They have it at the junior level but by the time they spend time in Europe and return for the senior team they develop the earliest stages of rigor mortis. Obvious conclusion is that Europe is ascribed the blame and Mikel Obi is a prime example of the phenomena.
EII, The Mikel Obi example is why Pogba is at loggerheads with Mourinho. Pogba doesn’t want to be turned into a sideway passer. He’d rather leave Man Utd, than allow Jose to damage him. Unlike Mikel, he has backings and will get his way.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Thunder wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
EII, The Mikel Obi example is why Pogba is at loggerheads with Mourinho. Pogba doesn’t want to be turned into a sideway passer. He’d rather leave Man Utd, than allow Jose to damage him. Unlike Mikel, he has backings and will get his way.
Thunder,

The piece is written by a former CE "Ghost" who was at the World Cup and watched Nigeria v Argentina. His observations and insight are revealing. I think the way he links this to explain different results for Nigeria between the youth and senior levels is food for thought.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

When and why did Ghost become "former CE"?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:When and why did Ghost become "former CE"?
:lol: :lol: Well, it is more appropriate to state it as former regular-poster on CE because he still visits regularly. You should know him if you had been on the site during Allard days. He was here, at the time and thereafter, but has been lately very busy.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Enugu II wrote:
Thunder wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Thunder,

The piece is written by a former CE "Ghost" who was at the World Cup and watched Nigeria v Argentina. His observations and insight are revealing. I think the way he links this to explain different results for Nigeria between the youth and senior levels is food for thought.
I think I have a clue who that is. But me think going overseas is not enough for our youths. They need strong & viable agents who will protect them & lookout for their interests. I still contend Mikel would have been among the bests in the world under the tutelage of Sir Alex.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

I like the author's wholistic approach. The team is not world class, the coach is a _______, OK. The supporters club nko? The fair weather fans nko? Press, are you even continental class?

The WC is coming to North America in 8 years, it will be very disappointing if after "making mout" we play Australia and even they outnumber us in the stadium :oops: .

Even if the team plays rohrible football, let the support be world class. Amen!
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kneedeep wrote:I like the author's wholistic approach. The team is not world class, the coach is a _______, OK. The supporters club nko? The fair weather fans nko? Press, are you even continental class?

The WC is coming to North America in 8 years, it will be very disappointing if after "making mout" we play Australia and even they outnumber us in the stadium :oops: .

Even if the team plays rohrible football, let the support be world class. Amen!

I like that he mentioned fans because we often ignore the effect of their support on the games. Imagine playing Argentina multiple times and on each occasion it feels like the game is in Buenos Aires. I feel that how Nigeria handles ticketing should be a major issue of discussion going forward because it may very well impact the result in the field.