2020 Olympics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2020 Olympics

Post by wiseone »

Insightful comments Damunk. One thing your comments about Nacho as an U17 player and Nacho at City has made me think about is how young players evolve and often do not resemble their teenage playing style by the time they hit 20-22. Mikel, CR7, and Nacho are examples of this.

Jorge Valdano wrote a brilliant article in the Guardian a few days ago about how this WC has demonstrated that pace and physical attributes are the future of football. He said that slow moving tiki-taka and players who do not have the ability to control the ball and contort their bodies at pace and when under pressure, will not thrive in the modern game. Takes us back to Nacho.... He is deadly if you give him time and space. However time and space are rare commodities in the EPL. I actually think he would score a hatful of goals in France, Spain, or Holland where the opposition do not harass you on the ball as relentlessly as the EPL shin saboteurs do.

Damunk wrote:Wiseone, to be honest, I am not sure I would even classify Nacho as a "fox in the box". He might have briefly given that impression at Man City, but it is quite possible he was on a 'purple patch' which as we all know does not last forever.

In his developmental phase (U17 level) he was more of a forward playmaker and was scoring from outside the box. But one particular aspect of his game that was pure class was his ability to pick out his man, setting them up for the easy goal. in short, his assists were central to the success of that team.

He has a pretty deadly left foot but takes too long to set himself up - time the modern game does not allow. As Oloye suggested, maybe the lad needs postural lessons to help him optimize his balance and one-footedness. I remember back in the day, the phenomenally successful Ajax Academy used to have mandatory dance classes for their youth players to help with posture and balance. Kanu, Babangida and Finidi George probably all benefited from those classes.

It might seem silly to many, but I can see how this would help many players who are just not comfortable when they find their bodies in unusual positions and can't do what they want to do until they are able to adjust their bodies. Its all about coordination. In scientific terms it is called 'proprioception', and it is probably a little more developed in some more than others.
Oga JJ is a great example. I believe that skills aside, he had an amazing sense of spatial awareness and body coordination that allowed him to do many of the special things he did with the ball.

This is why many believe that more knowledge and lateral thinking has to be applied to our football development. People like Oloye - thinkers, but with practical, first-hand experience of the game at the top level - need to be part of the Nigeria football policy-making body.

Moreover, the fans themselves have to be educated on the off-field management of the game and it's players. I can only imagine how Nigerians would react the moment they discover that the NFF is paying money to Kaffi (Nigeria's foremost dance practitioner) to take the Golden Eaglets on two or three dance classes a week.

That NFF is 'dead' from that point on. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:Insightful comments Damunk. One thing your comments about Nacho as an U17 player and Nacho at City has made me think about is how young players evolve and often do not resemble their teenage playing style by the time they hit 20-22. Mikel, CR7, and Nacho are examples of this.

Jorge Valdano wrote a brilliant article in the Guardian a few days ago about how this WC has demonstrated that pace and physical attributes are the future of football. He said that slow moving tiki-taka and players who do not have the ability to control the ball and contort their bodies at pace and when under pressure, will not thrive in the modern game. Takes us back to Nacho.... He is deadly if you give him time and space. However time and space are rare commodities in the EPL. I actually think he would score a hatful of goals in France, Spain, or Holland where the opposition do not harass you on the ball as relentlessly as the EPL shin saboteurs do.
Thanks for mentioning the Valdano article.
I found it and it is quite revealing.

How Russia 2018 saw claustrophobic football crowd tiki-taka off world stage
Jorge Valdano
The changing of the tactical guard at the World Cup was marked by early exits for Germany and Spain, and now the pace and aggression of France shows the way forward

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -world-cup
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

A few SE players are eligible for next year's Olympics. Potential nucleus of a good squad with the eligible players below. Any others?

Uzoho, Ozornwafor, Sincere Seth, Abdul Zubairu, Kalu, Onyekuru, Chukwueze, Orji Okonkwo, Osimhen, Bonaventure, Awoniyi.
Last edited by wiseone on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:
john12 wrote:Olympics is a tradition for us and we must keep that tradition going. Infact, there is a likelihood that our only medal might come from the football event. We need all our best players selected

What about other sports ?
We’ve won Gold/Silver and Bronze medals in football.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

bret- hart wrote:No overaged players.
Totally agree, it cheapens the key reason for u20s and Olympic tournaments, to build future stars
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

To be fair only 3 over-aged players are allowed in the squad (last time Nigeria used only 2 over-aged players). Not as if we are sending a squad full of 35 year olds!