2020 Olympics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
2020 Olympics

Post by ugly boy »

How many guys in the current world cup squad are eligible and who would be your 3 overage players?
walesvilla
Egg
Egg
Re: 2020 Olympics

Post by walesvilla »

fed up doing the under age stuff. just use u20 boys to get more experience and increase pool of selection for eagles
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Onyekuru for sure.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

walesvilla wrote:fed up doing the under age stuff. just use u20 boys to get more experience and increase pool of selection for eagles
To me that is what Nigeria should do. Getting guys released, if they are playing regularly for their clubs, is a hassle any way. Recently, I do not believe Nigeria has even used all the slots for overage players and it hasn't made much difference.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Uzoho, Nwakili, Iheanacho, Awoniyi, Ndidi, Onyekuru, Chukwuze, Orji Okonkwo, Osimhen
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Olympics is a tradition for us and we must keep that tradition going. Infact, there is a likelihood that our only medal might come from the football event. We need all our best players selected
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

john12 wrote:Olympics is a tradition for us and we must keep that tradition going. Infact, there is a likelihood that our only medal might come from the football event. We need all our best players selected

What about other sports ?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Musa should be captain! :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

You start my hiring Sia1 NOW!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohenhen1 wrote:Uzoho, Nwakili, Iheanacho, Awoniyi, Ndidi, Onyekuru, Chukwuze, Orji Okonkwo, Osimhen
I have a sneaky feeling Nigerians are beginning to lose faith in Nacho. He really needs to step up.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

walesvilla wrote:fed up doing the under age stuff. just use u20 boys to get more experience and increase pool of selection for eagles
You have the U19- World Cups And Afcons for that,the Olympic team should be about players on the verge of maturity,the NFF doesn’t own an academy so these tournaments need to be utilised properly before the next major tournament.Nigeria are not going to select too many U20s at senior level as they tend to wait for European clubs to buy/loan them first.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Damunk wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Uzoho, Nwakili, Iheanacho, Awoniyi, Ndidi, Onyekuru, Chukwuze, Orji Okonkwo, Osimhen
I have a sneaky feeling Nigerians are beginning to lose faith in Nacho. He really needs to step up.
All he talks about work hard but nothing to show he is serious about his profession. He is always jesting around . It is become very apparent why he jettisoned by Guardiola like a hot potato. He turned out to be the disappointment of the decade.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

This is the biggest tournament prior to the World Cup and as such should be used by Nigeria to prepare for 2022. There are very few opportunities for African teams to confront international opposition at this level, so Olympics need to be a training ground.

If we qualify Nwakali needs to be the key player, so that by 2022 he can step into the shoes of Mikel.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

No overaged players.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Damunk wrote:
The boy is not as complete as a footballer as Nigerians hyped him. His main asset is scoring , take that away he is barely left with anything else. The worrying thing is as he grows up and his career develops this will come to the fore unless he can improve on those attributes.

Two things i worry about when i watch him play

1. His running style, you cannot sustain that posture and run in different direction. So you see him charge in one direction but struggles when he needs to suddenly change direction.

2. Secondly his fluidity, which is part of his posture, he looks rigid sometimes, this might have to do with the fact that he relies so much on his left leg, and i suspect even for balancing. So he controls the ball with it and tries to keep his balance also with the same leg, make him look cumbersome for someone who is not that big. Can you imagine a Kelechi with ball at his feet and dribbles through the slalom or does the slalom dribble, i struggle to see that, he runs straight or simply turns back.

But like i keep saying he remains a very deadly striker of the ball, one of the very best , yes even in comparison to the so called World Class players, it is those defects i mentioned that remains a hindrance.
I know there are trainers who work on athletes to correct the two issues i mentioned earlier. I don't know if they can change it for him though but i hope they can, because such potency should be able to come to the fore.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What about Kalu?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Cmoke wrote:You start my hiring Sia1 NOW!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D
Rohr should handle the 'young' team so that they can learn
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If Nacho was born 20 years earlier, he would be at a Champions League club. The trouble is that players like him ("fox in the box" goal poachers) are an endangered species in the modern game. Cold eyed finishers like Van Persie, Lineker, Van Nisteelrooy, Fowler, Inzaghi, etc who do little except score are increasingly viewed as a luxury in modern football. It is hard to accommodate players like that in modern formations where only one of the 11 players is a striker. Most strikers nowadays are target men that can hold up the ball and score (Lukaku, Giroud, Benzema, Cavani) or perpetual motion all rounders who tire opposition defences with constant movement and pressing (Vardy, Suarez, Rooney in his prime, Jesus, Firmino).

Nacho needs to adapt his game to the times.
oloye wrote:The boy is not as complete as a footballer as Nigerians hyped him. His main asset is scoring , take that away he is barely left with anything else. The worrying thing is as he grows up and his career develops this will come to the fore unless he can improve on those attributes.

Two things i worry about when i watch him play

1. His running style, you cannot sustain that posture and run in different direction. So you see him charge in one direction but struggles when he needs to suddenly change direction.

2. Secondly his fluidity, which is part of his posture, he looks rigid sometimes, this might have to do with the fact that he relies so much on his left leg, and i suspect even for balancing. So he controls the ball with it and tries to keep his balance also with the same leg, make him look cumbersome for someone who is not that big. Can you imagine a Kelechi with ball at his feet and dribbles through the slalom or does the slalom dribble, i struggle to see that, he runs straight or simply turns back.

But like i keep saying he remains a very deadly striker of the ball, one of the very best , yes even in comparison to the so called World Class players, it is those defects i mentioned that remains a hindrance.
I know there are trainers who work on athletes to correct the two issues i mentioned earlier. I don't know if they can change it for him though but i hope they can, because such potency should be able to come to the fore.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

You guys are busy dropping names without any considerations for their clubs who probably won’t let them go anywhere :!:

Cheers.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You guys are busy dropping names without any considerations for their clubs who probably won’t let them go anywhere :!:

Cheers.
List the potential players first then we take it from there
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Which Olympics are you all talking about?
With the current situation (i.e Pinnick vs. Giwa), Nigeria is about to be banned and will miss the qualifiers.
There will likely be no Olympic football for Nigeria in 2020.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kpom.
The Nigerian football fan's expectations are now way above getting excited about Olympic gold or U17 WC victories.
We want the real thing.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:If Nacho was born 20 years earlier, he would be at a Champions League club. The trouble is that players like him ("fox in the box" goal poachers) are an endangered species in the modern game. Cold eyed finishers like Van Persie, Lineker, Van Nisteelrooy, Fowler, Inzaghi, etc who do little except score are increasingly viewed as a luxury in modern football. It is hard to accommodate players like that in modern formations where only one of the 11 players is a striker. Most strikers nowadays are target men that can hold up the ball and score (Lukaku, Giroud, Benzema, Cavani) or perpetual motion all rounders who tire opposition defences with constant movement and pressing (Vardy, Suarez, Rooney in his prime, Jesus, Firmino).

Nacho needs to adapt his game to the times.
Wiseone, to be honest, I am not sure I would even classify Nacho as a "fox in the box". He might have briefly given that impression at Man City, but it is quite possible he was on a 'purple patch' which as we all know does not last forever.

In his developmental phase (U17 level) he was more of a forward playmaker and was scoring from outside the box. But one particular aspect of his game that was pure class was his ability to pick out his man, setting them up for the easy goal. in short, his assists were central to the success of that team.

He has a pretty deadly left foot but takes too long to set himself up - time the modern game does not allow. As Oloye suggested, maybe the lad needs postural lessons to help him optimize his balance and one-footedness. I remember back in the day, the phenomenally successful Ajax Academy used to have mandatory dance classes for their youth players to help with posture and balance. Kanu, Babangida and Finidi George probably all benefited from those classes.

It might seem silly to many, but I can see how this would help many players who are just not comfortable when they find their bodies in unusual positions and can't do what they want to do until they are able to adjust their bodies. Its all about coordination. In scientific terms it is called 'proprioception', and it is probably a little more developed in some more than others.
Oga JJ is a great example. I believe that skills aside, he had an amazing sense of spatial awareness and body coordination that allowed him to do many of the special things he did with the ball.

This is why many believe that more knowledge and lateral thinking has to be applied to our football development. People like Oloye - thinkers, but with practical, first-hand experience of the game at the top level - need to be part of the Nigeria football policy-making body.

Moreover, the fans themselves have to be educated on the off-field management of the game and it's players. I can only imagine how Nigerians would react the moment they discover that the NFF is paying money to Kaffi (Nigeria's foremost dance practitioner) to take the Golden Eaglets on two or three dance classes a week.

That NFF is 'dead' from that point on. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: