Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:01 pm
Posts: 16855
Location: HMP. "I am innocent, I swear!"..
The UEFA Nations League is kicking off in September competitive football for national team over the remainder of this year and for next year.

Image

Image

Quote:
Supporters more than most realise that most friendlies fail to deliver competitive and meaningful football. Now they will have the opportunity to see their teams play in more competitive matches, take part in a new competition and get a second chance to qualify for the major tournaments.

In every even year there are World Cup or UEFA EURO champions; now in every odd year there will be a UEFA Nations League winners. Football is about competition and now, just like in club football, there will be a national team champion at the close of every season.


Seems like a very good idea to me. Should we (CAF) look at something similar? For one thing it will mean smaller nations like Mauritius, Seychelles, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, etc can be involved in competitive football.

_________________
Image
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."


Last edited by AreaDaddy on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3263
Can we?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16644
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
AreaDaddy,

This has been discussed. In fact, UEFA pushed for a Global Nations League as well. One problem is that this may invariably limit international friendlies that are intercontinental. Here is my previous piece on this league at the global level:

https://www.aclsports.com/11857-2/

AreaDaddy wrote:
The UEFA Nations League is kicking off in September competitive football for national team over the remainder of this year and for next year.

Image

Image

Quote:
Supporters more than most realise that most friendlies fail to deliver competitive and meaningful football. Now they will have the opportunity to see their teams play in more competitive matches, take part in a new competition and get a second chance to qualify for the major tournaments.

In every even year there are World Cup or UEFA EURO champions; now in every odd year there will be a UEFA Nations League winners. Football is about competition and now, just like in club football, there will be a national team champion at the close of every season.


Seems like a very good idea to me. Should we (CAF) look at something similar? For one thing it will mean smaller nations like Mauritius, Seychelles, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, etc can be involved in competitive football.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:57 am
Posts: 32216
Location: Not Here
Enugu II wrote:
AreaDaddy,

This has been discussed. In fact, UEFA pushed for a Global Nations League as well. One problem is that this may invariably limit international friendlies that are intercontinental. Here is my previous piece on this league at the global level:

https://www.aclsports.com/11857-2/

AreaDaddy wrote:
The UEFA Nations League is kicking off in September competitive football for national team over the remainder of this year and for next year.

Image

Image

Quote:
Supporters more than most realise that most friendlies fail to deliver competitive and meaningful football. Now they will have the opportunity to see their teams play in more competitive matches, take part in a new competition and get a second chance to qualify for the major tournaments.

In every even year there are World Cup or UEFA EURO champions; now in every odd year there will be a UEFA Nations League winners. Football is about competition and now, just like in club football, there will be a national team champion at the close of every season.


Seems like a very good idea to me. Should we (CAF) look at something similar? For one thing it will mean smaller nations like Mauritius, Seychelles, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, etc can be involved in competitive football.

very little value in these in my opinion compared to competitive matches

_________________
_________________
Oyibo na Oyibo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16644
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Molue,

In general, you are correct but bear in mind that I am referring to specific internationals across continents e.g. England v Nigeria or Senegal v Brazil friendlies. In essence, the growth that we have long assumed comes with such intercontinental games will be lost theoretically. Why? Because those will take place rarely with this new league(s). The league forces teams to play against continental and not intercontinental opponents. The only likely intercontinental meetings will be at the Global Nations League (if and when instituted) and at the World Cup.

Molue Conductor wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
AreaDaddy,

This has been discussed. In fact, UEFA pushed for a Global Nations League as well. One problem is that this may invariably limit international friendlies that are intercontinental. Here is my previous piece on this league at the global level:

https://www.aclsports.com/11857-2/

AreaDaddy wrote:
The UEFA Nations League is kicking off in September competitive football for national team over the remainder of this year and for next year.

Image

Image

Quote:
Supporters more than most realise that most friendlies fail to deliver competitive and meaningful football. Now they will have the opportunity to see their teams play in more competitive matches, take part in a new competition and get a second chance to qualify for the major tournaments.

In every even year there are World Cup or UEFA EURO champions; now in every odd year there will be a UEFA Nations League winners. Football is about competition and now, just like in club football, there will be a national team champion at the close of every season.


Seems like a very good idea to me. Should we (CAF) look at something similar? For one thing it will mean smaller nations like Mauritius, Seychelles, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, etc can be involved in competitive football.

very little value in these in my opinion compared to competitive matches

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13788
Location: Here
Global Nations League? Will FIFA sign off on this as it would compete with the World Cup?

As for the UEFA Nation's league, it might be boring except for League A as Europe had 5 or 6 good teams and the rest are average.

_________________
"The young Walt Disney was sacked because he lacked imagination. They advised Marilyn Monroe to become a secretary and Elvis to go back to driving a lorry."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 28705
Europeans will dominate world rankings with competitive games practically every year - Euro, WC qualifiers and now Nations League

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16644
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
pajimoh wrote:
Europeans will dominate world rankings with competitive games practically every year - Euro, WC qualifiers and now Nations League


KPOM

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:46 am
Posts: 29617
pajimoh wrote:
Europeans will dominate world rankings with competitive games practically every year - Euro, WC qualifiers and now Nations League


KPOM!!

_________________
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB GT755M | 8GB DDR3L | 1TB 5400RPM | N2230 | LGIPS237L/LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: HP Pavilion 2500: Core2Duo T5250 1.5GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 320GB | 64MB NVidia GeF8400M - Linux Mint Cinnamon
HTC One - BB Z10 - APPLE IPad Mini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm
Posts: 470
This is not good for the rest of the World. Many of the teams that regularly attend the World Cup are going to have more trouble now with European teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:09 pm
Posts: 30018
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Europeans will dominate world rankings with competitive games practically every year - Euro, WC qualifiers and now Nations League


KPOM!!

If you're right, then Africa needs to find a system where more competitive games are played, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3263
camex wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Europeans will dominate world rankings with competitive games practically every year - Euro, WC qualifiers and now Nations League


KPOM!!

If you're right, then Africa needs to find a system where more competitive games are played, too.


We play qualifiers for AFCON and World Cup each year, we aren't struggling for competitive matches.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 13341
You are all just catching on to this now.

European teams will now have even more inflated rankings.

Also they will have more opportunities to cap tie players, this is another detrimental factor

Africa should team up with Asia, conembol and concacaf and create a Rest of the World Nations league.

I wonder why if as was suggested above, the rest of the world rejected a Global nations league that was supposedly proposed by the Europeans.

We need to be proactive and not just sit back and let the world pass us by. We are always so slow to act.

Also we must lobby to have useless competitions like the CHAN NOT AFFECT FIFA RANKINGS.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:46 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:09 pm
Posts: 30018
kalani JR wrote:
camex wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Europeans will dominate world rankings with competitive games practically every year - Euro, WC qualifiers and now Nations League


KPOM!!

If you're right, then Africa needs to find a system where more competitive games are played, too.


We play qualifiers for AFCON and World Cup each year, we aren't struggling for competitive matches.

But with such a system there is more than qualifying, teams will want to win more titles


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 13069
Location: South London
Enugu II wrote:
AreaDaddy,

This has been discussed. In fact, UEFA pushed for a Global Nations League as well. One problem is that this may invariably limit international friendlies that are intercontinental. Here is my previous piece on this league at the global level:

https://www.aclsports.com/11857-2/

AreaDaddy wrote:
The UEFA Nations League is kicking off in September competitive football for national team over the remainder of this year and for next year.

Image

Image

Quote:
Supporters more than most realise that most friendlies fail to deliver competitive and meaningful football. Now they will have the opportunity to see their teams play in more competitive matches, take part in a new competition and get a second chance to qualify for the major tournaments.

In every even year there are World Cup or UEFA EURO champions; now in every odd year there will be a UEFA Nations League winners. Football is about competition and now, just like in club football, there will be a national team champion at the close of every season.


Seems like a very good idea to me. Should we (CAF) look at something similar? For one thing it will mean smaller nations like Mauritius, Seychelles, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, etc can be involved in competitive football.

FIfa proposed for a global version but UEFA at present disapproved probably because they want to deal with their own version first of all.

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Tobi17 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group