Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:16 pm
Posts: 561
Location: DALLAS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXigMV-jxh8



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 pm
Posts: 11588
Very interesting that he question the mentality of African teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:40 am
Posts: 921
Good insights from the Drog. I liked how he talked about the coaching and cultural issues.
What he failed to also cite is that unabashedly biased officiating against African teams has contributed significantly to hampering their progress in the WC.
We should never give up though, but build things ourselves. No one will do them for us.

_________________
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:30 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:02 pm
Posts: 10291
Location: Around the World
African teams should go not just to participate, but to win...

_________________
http://www.turenchi.com for Nigerian News


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm
Posts: 461
realtrouble wrote:
Very interesting that he question the mentality of African teams.


I think it is important that we question the mentality of our teams. If teams just go there with the idea that they came to learn or make up the numbers, they won't make it through these tournament.


Also about officiating, even with issues on officiating, if your team needs to rely on officiating in regards to penalties to score goals, your issues are much worse than officiating. The teams we brought barely created anything and had very limited styles of play that prevented them from advancing. If our teams could score from a set piece and defend set pieces we would have 3 of 5 teams advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm
Posts: 461
gosh wrote:
Good insights from the Drog. I liked how he talked about the coaching and cultural issues.
What he failed to also cite is that unabashedly biased officiating against African teams has contributed significantly to hampering their progress in the WC.
We should never give up though, but build things ourselves. No one will do them for us.


Officiating wasn't the reason African teams didn't advance, failure to take chances was the main reason. Are you going to tell me that Tunisia and Egypt being rubbish were down to officiating. Or that us failing to defend balls going to attackers in our box was down to officiating? Or even better Senegal's failure to see out games was down to officiating? The only team that had a real reason to complain was Morocco. The other teams had real chances to make it out of their groups.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:13 pm
Posts: 110
nanijoe wrote:
African teams should go not just to participate, but to win...


Win or lose I don't think is all that matters..but at least put up a fight and play football we can all be proud of. I didn't recognise the SE in this WC. It was only for the game against argies things were starting to happen and by that time it was too little too late.

Even lovely Panama came out guns blazing and not scared to death like the SE!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
Egypt - was simply not good enough. Maybe it would have been different with a fully fit Salah, but it all went downhill from there.

Morocco - they can feel hard done by the referee vs Portugal and Spain. Against Spain they were simply robbed, but Morocco were already out by then. The fact of the matter is that they should have put Iran to the sword in the first game. I would venture to say Morocco were by far the best team in this group, yet somehow they ended last due to their inability to finish off chances and opponents. Iran had no right beating them, while Morocco should have scored at least several goals on Portugal who were absolutely outplayed.

Nigeria - Nigeria missing out was a marginal thing and it all came down to playing a non-scoring striker and Rohr being retroactive with changes when the clock was counting down. They really let victory out of their grasp.

Tunisia - Simply not good enough.

Senegal - Had the team and players to make the semis at least. Messed it up vs Japan and then messed up vs Colombia. Like Morocco obviously the best team in this group. Playing the wrong personnel up front, ie. inefficient strikers instead of proven goalscorers and poor refereeing decisions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm
Posts: 461
marutimon wrote:
Egypt - was simply not good enough. Maybe it would have been different with a fully fit Salah, but it all went downhill from there.

Morocco - they can feel hard done by the referee vs Portugal and Spain. Against Spain they were simply robbed, but Morocco were already out by then. The fact of the matter is that they should have put Iran to the sword in the first game. I would venture to say Morocco were by far the best team in this group, yet somehow they ended last due to their inability to finish off chances and opponents. Iran had no right beating them, while Morocco should have scored at least several goals on Portugal who were absolutely outplayed.

Nigeria - Nigeria missing out was a marginal thing and it all came down to playing a non-scoring striker and Rohr being retroactive with changes when the clock was counting down. They really let victory out of their grasp.

Tunisia - Simply not good enough.

Senegal - Had the team and players to make the semis at least. Messed it up vs Japan and then messed up vs Colombia. Like Morocco obviously the best team in this group. Playing the wrong personnel up front, ie. inefficient strikers instead of proven goalscorers and poor refereeing decisions



I agree on all except for Senegal. I don't think Senegal was the best team in the group. I think Colombia was by a decent margin. Japan only made it through because they got lucky with Colombia going down to 10 men, but you have to give them credit for putting that much pressure on Colombia early to give up that chance.

Also Senegal had a chance to wrap up the group when they were 2-1 up against Japan, but due to comical defending they gave up a goal. Also their game against Colombia they were really poor.

Senegal issues were self inflicted refereeing decisions didn't do them. They had a pretty favorable decision against Poland to be honest with Niang's goal.

As for making the Semi's they wouldn't have made it past Belgium or England for that matter because all they did was run and play long balls.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
TheHitman47 wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Egypt - was simply not good enough. Maybe it would have been different with a fully fit Salah, but it all went downhill from there.

Morocco - they can feel hard done by the referee vs Portugal and Spain. Against Spain they were simply robbed, but Morocco were already out by then. The fact of the matter is that they should have put Iran to the sword in the first game. I would venture to say Morocco were by far the best team in this group, yet somehow they ended last due to their inability to finish off chances and opponents. Iran had no right beating them, while Morocco should have scored at least several goals on Portugal who were absolutely outplayed.

Nigeria - Nigeria missing out was a marginal thing and it all came down to playing a non-scoring striker and Rohr being retroactive with changes when the clock was counting down. They really let victory out of their grasp.

Tunisia - Simply not good enough.

Senegal - Had the team and players to make the semis at least. Messed it up vs Japan and then messed up vs Colombia. Like Morocco obviously the best team in this group. Playing the wrong personnel up front, ie. inefficient strikers instead of proven goalscorers and poor refereeing decisions



I agree on all except for Senegal. I don't think Senegal was the best team in the group. I think Colombia was by a decent margin. Japan only made it through because they got lucky with Colombia going down to 10 men, but you have to give them credit for putting that much pressure on Colombia early to give up that chance.

Also Senegal had a chance to wrap up the group when they were 2-1 up against Japan, but due to comical defending they gave up a goal. Also their game against Colombia they were really poor.

Senegal issues were self inflicted refereeing decisions didn't do them. They had a pretty favorable decision against Poland to be honest with Niang's goal.

As for making the Semi's they wouldn't have made it past Belgium or England for that matter because all they did was run and play long balls.


Senegal absolutely dominated Colombia. Colombia was a non-factor for most of the game and have only Yerry Mina to thank for progressing. Colombia created one goalscoring opportunity during the entire match, but scored from it. Senegal created half a dozen at least, but didn't put the game to bed. Save for finishing Senegal were much better than Colombia, despite Mane not performing.
Senegal outplayed all three teams in the group, so yes - they were the best team here.

And Senegal would have won the group, which means a path of England, Sweden and Croatia to the final. Senegal was also physically dominant with the ball and off the ball. England did not match up well to Senegal's strengths.

Senegal did have a bad call against them, but overall Senegal failed because they didn't play up front with an efficient forward: Konate, Sow or Niasse. Playing one of their non-Guinea league GKs might have also helped.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 8428
I hope Drogba is able to participate in a continent review post the World Cup to seek ways of improvement. My own view remains that as per the law of comparative advantage, there is always a reason for superiority and any diversion from its principles is a disaster. If you place a Nigerian U17 national team (different set of boys) against any country in the world, the superiority is there for all to see.

The shame is that Nigeria does not have the advanced environment in our leagues for our players to maintain their DNA. Mexico for example is successful at underage competitions and seemingly take that reasonable success to the senior level, albeit they are yet to reach the advanced stages of the senior World Cup. But at least they keep that unique identity. We discard it completely because our players are forced to adapt other playing methods and cultures (where they earn their crust) and the national team coaches who don't even understand our identity yield to the playing strengths of the players and look for pragmatic solutions as playing patterns. Rohr gave us 4-2-3-1. Where in our history has anyone seen the Green Eagles (now SE) play with a lone striker operating remotely on his own? The result is rather sadly predictable.

Solution: Stick to your DNA and enhance it. The likes of Germany, Italy, Holland are now going back to the drawing board and we will see their improvement in Qatar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:40 am
Posts: 921
TheHitman47 wrote:
gosh wrote:
Good insights from the Drog. I liked how he talked about the coaching and cultural issues.
What he failed to also cite is that unabashedly biased officiating against African teams has contributed significantly to hampering their progress in the WC.
We should never give up though, but build things ourselves. No one will do them for us.


Officiating wasn't the reason African teams didn't advance, failure to take chances was the main reason. Are you going to tell me that Tunisia and Egypt being rubbish were down to officiating. Or that us failing to defend balls going to attackers in our box was down to officiating? Or even better Senegal's failure to see out games was down to officiating? The only team that had a real reason to complain was Morocco. The other teams had real chances to make it out of their groups.


I talked about liking what he said on coaching and culture/mindset. I certainly didn't imply that officiating is the major or the only reason, but certainly a factor that cannot be ignored, at least historically.

_________________
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13342
Location: Here
CAF team's problems are almost all due to poor planning and organization.
Just see how often players have to fight over compensation almost every WC.
Look at how 9ja had a crazy traveling schedule that irked Rohr.

You can have strong leagues and good players but if your World Cup organization is shambolic, they will probably fail.

_________________
"The young Walt Disney was sacked because he lacked imagination. They advised Marilyn Monroe to become a secretary and Elvis to go back to driving a lorry."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:02 am
Posts: 474
The interviewer seems to have a better idea about why African football is lagging. It is because of our culture of corruption and incompetence. The people running our federations are utterly corrupt and useless. I mean for petes sake we had Hayatou as CAF chairman for 20 years. It will take forever to recover from that. And most African federations are led by corrupt and useless Hayatou clones.

Also notice that Drogba describes African teams as powerful and fast. These are the so called stereotypes that many on this forum are unhappy with. Yet Drogba and others are right. Its a polite way of saying African teams are tactically and technically inept and rely too much on natural talent. This will not work in modern football. Gone are the days when Maradona could dribble a whole team by himself and score. Today all teams are defending with 10 men behind the ball. Dribbling is not that useful a skill.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
sayala wrote:
The interviewer seems to have a better idea about why African football is lagging. It is because of our culture of corruption and incompetence. The people running our federations are utterly corrupt and useless. I mean for petes sake we had Hayatou as CAF chairman for 20 years. It will take forever to recover from that. And most African federations are led by corrupt and useless Hayatou clones.

Also notice that Drogba describes African teams as powerful and fast. These are the so called stereotypes that many on this forum are unhappy with. Yet Drogba and others are right. Its a polite way of saying African teams are tactically and technically inept and rely too much on natural talent. This will not work in modern football. Gone are the days when Maradona could dribble a whole team by himself and score. Today all teams are defending with 10 men behind the ball. Dribbling is not that useful a skill.


Nigeria, Senegal and Morocco were all technically and tactically well drilled sides.
They lacked finishers, so small nuances. Senegal front three and Etebo were probably the only ones guilty of dribbling past multiple players, but these teams were tactically sound in midfield and at the back.

Your analysis totally ignores what the problems were and is deep in stereotypes that are unfounded when looking at this years performance of the African teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 10256
Brilliant analysis. I think Morocco's exit was a (refereeing) travesty. They were so unfortunate - conceding a 95th minute OG against Iran, then the criminal refereeing against Portugal and Spain. I daresay Morocco were the best team to be eliminated in the group phase.

Tunisia - have a few mitigating circumstances for their poor performance. Their best player got injured just before the tournament. Then their GK got injured, then the reserve Gk got injured and his tournament ended 15 minutes into their first game, then they had two defenders stretchered off in the first half against Belgium! Really unfortunate.

Rohr's refusal to make substitutions as his team tired and got deeper and deeper against Argentina was simply mystifying. Even if the players were not tired, a well-timed tactical substitution if used around the world to break the opposition's momentum and give one's players a breather.

marutimon wrote:
Egypt - was simply not good enough. Maybe it would have been different with a fully fit Salah, but it all went downhill from there.

Morocco - they can feel hard done by the referee vs Portugal and Spain. Against Spain they were simply robbed, but Morocco were already out by then. The fact of the matter is that they should have put Iran to the sword in the first game. I would venture to say Morocco were by far the best team in this group, yet somehow they ended last due to their inability to finish off chances and opponents. Iran had no right beating them, while Morocco should have scored at least several goals on Portugal who were absolutely outplayed.

Nigeria - Nigeria missing out was a marginal thing and it all came down to playing a non-scoring striker and Rohr being retroactive with changes when the clock was counting down. They really let victory out of their grasp.

Tunisia - Simply not good enough.

Senegal - Had the team and players to make the semis at least. Messed it up vs Japan and then messed up vs Colombia. Like Morocco obviously the best team in this group. Playing the wrong personnel up front, ie. inefficient strikers instead of proven goalscorers and poor refereeing decisions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:17 pm
Posts: 7504
I agree with most of what you say. In addition, a typical phase from Drogba ... Africa stinks ... it is God's will? Seriously? Is this his answer?
God has been Africa's excuse for to remain incompetent.
However, I would disagree with your assessment of dribbling. Dribbling is still a very valuable skills to have. It just needs to be put to use when it matters most. See Mbappe against Argentina.
In the finals, France scored goals by shooting from 18+ yards. Where are the Africans who can actually shoot from 18+ yards consistently?
We can blame corruption all we want, if players can't shoot, it is not Hayatou's fault. If players are tactically naive and incompetent, it is not Hayatou's fault.
We can have all the meetings in the world. We can have all the conferences for solutions in the world. African Players must take responsibility to build marketable skills.
What's the big difference between the Geremi, Eto'o, Drogba, Essien generation and the current generation? The later actually had excellent marketable skills (outside of speed and power).
Bepanda

sayala wrote:
The interviewer seems to have a better idea about why African football is lagging. It is because of our culture of corruption and incompetence. The people running our federations are utterly corrupt and useless. I mean for petes sake we had Hayatou as CAF chairman for 20 years. It will take forever to recover from that. And most African federations are led by corrupt and useless Hayatou clones.

Also notice that Drogba describes African teams as powerful and fast. These are the so called stereotypes that many on this forum are unhappy with. Yet Drogba and others are right. Its a polite way of saying African teams are tactically and technically inept and rely too much on natural talent. This will not work in modern football. Gone are the days when Maradona could dribble a whole team by himself and score. Today all teams are defending with 10 men behind the ball. Dribbling is not that useful a skill.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 20352
Location: Ukwuani
wiseone wrote:
Brilliant analysis. I think Morocco's exit was a (refereeing) travesty. They were so unfortunate - conceding a 95th minute OG against Iran, then the criminal refereeing against Portugal and Spain. I daresay Morocco were the best team to be eliminated in the group phase.

Tunisia - have a few mitigating circumstances for their poor performance. Their best player got injured just before the tournament. Then their GK got injured, then the reserve Gk got injured and his tournament ended 15 minutes into their first game, then they had two defenders stretchered off in the first half against Belgium! Really unfortunate.

Rohr's refusal to make substitutions as his team tired and got deeper and deeper against Argentina was simply mystifying. Even if the players were not tired, a well-timed tactical substitution if used around the world to break the opposition's momentum and give one's players a breather.

Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Argentina continued to attack and attack our left side of the pitch, yet coach Rohr saw no need to make adjustment(s) and finally we conceded and, lost.

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 10256
You made a good point about their attacks down the Nigerian left. Nigeria's LB Idowu was knackered (it showed with some clearances where he kicked the ball straight up in the air rather than away from his goal). It was obvious that Idowu needed to come off (I said it 10-15 mins before Argentina scored) as I could see his fatigue even from watching on TV! How he (who was standing next to the pitch) failed to spot that, was head scratching. Especially as he had 2 guys on the bench who could play LB. No surprise that Argentina scored from a cross that came in from Nigeria's left - as Idowu was too tired to get across and block the cross.

All I can think was that he was reluctant to use the inexperienced Ebuehi after he came on against Iceland and gave away a penalty, or use the rusty Echiejile who had barely played in the lead up to the WC.

Odas wrote:
Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Argentina continued to attack and attack our left side of the pitch, yet coach Rohr saw no need to make adjustment(s) and finally we conceded and, lost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:27 am
Posts: 24283
Location: your girls place
wiseone wrote:
You made a good point about their attacks down the Nigerian left. Nigeria's LB Idowu was knackered (it showed with some clearances where he kicked the ball straight up in the air rather than away from his goal). It was obvious that Idowu needed to come off (I said it 10-15 mins before Argentina scored) as I could see his fatigue even from watching on TV! How he (who was standing next to the pitch) failed to spot that, was head scratching. Especially as he had 2 guys on the bench who could play LB. No surprise that Argentina scored from a cross that came in from Nigeria's left - as Idowu was too tired to get across and block the cross.

All I can think was that he was reluctant to use the inexperienced Ebuehi after he came on against Iceland and gave away a penalty, or use the rusty Echiejile who had barely played in the lead up to the WC.

Odas wrote:
Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Argentina continued to attack and attack our left side of the pitch, yet coach Rohr saw no need to make adjustment(s) and finally we conceded and, lost.



Well Rhor selected Echijile. I and some others screamed that Echjile should be dropped because he is way past his prime but clowns here said she should have gone in the name of experience. Well where was that experience when an overworked Idowu need to be subbed off? Aina/ Ebube Duru should have been our LB options and had Rhor brought in either one of them on in that fateful game, we would have seen that game through.

_________________
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

Assanal fans on CE are the biggest hypocrites on the web.

A-J-A-X for life!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 am
Posts: 7054
Location: Canada
bret- hart wrote:
wiseone wrote:
You made a good point about their attacks down the Nigerian left. Nigeria's LB Idowu was knackered (it showed with some clearances where he kicked the ball straight up in the air rather than away from his goal). It was obvious that Idowu needed to come off (I said it 10-15 mins before Argentina scored) as I could see his fatigue even from watching on TV! How he (who was standing next to the pitch) failed to spot that, was head scratching. Especially as he had 2 guys on the bench who could play LB. No surprise that Argentina scored from a cross that came in from Nigeria's left - as Idowu was too tired to get across and block the cross.

All I can think was that he was reluctant to use the inexperienced Ebuehi after he came on against Iceland and gave away a penalty, or use the rusty Echiejile who had barely played in the lead up to the WC.

Odas wrote:
Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Argentina continued to attack and attack our left side of the pitch, yet coach Rohr saw no need to make adjustment(s) and finally we conceded and, lost.



Well Rhor selected Echijile. I and some others screamed that Echjile should be dropped because he is way past his prime but clowns here said she should have gone in the name of experience. Well where was that experience when an overworked Idowu need to be subbed off? Aina/ Ebube Duru should have been our LB options and had Rhor brought in either one of them on in that fateful game, we would have seen that game through.


he had a capable replacement in Ebuehi...he had two unorthodox replacements in Joel and Ogu [ Left legged midfielders ] , he just did not want to make a chnage... it was not about who went to Russia

_________________
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:02 am
Posts: 474
marutimon wrote:
sayala wrote:
The interviewer seems to have a better idea about why African football is lagging. It is because of our culture of corruption and incompetence. The people running our federations are utterly corrupt and useless. I mean for petes sake we had Hayatou as CAF chairman for 20 years. It will take forever to recover from that. And most African federations are led by corrupt and useless Hayatou clones.

Also notice that Drogba describes African teams as powerful and fast. These are the so called stereotypes that many on this forum are unhappy with. Yet Drogba and others are right. Its a polite way of saying African teams are tactically and technically inept and rely too much on natural talent. This will not work in modern football. Gone are the days when Maradona could dribble a whole team by himself and score. Today all teams are defending with 10 men behind the ball. Dribbling is not that useful a skill.


Nigeria, Senegal and Morocco were all technically and tactically well drilled sides.
They lacked finishers, so small nuances. Senegal front three and Etebo were probably the only ones guilty of dribbling past multiple players, but these teams were tactically sound in midfield and at the back.

Your analysis totally ignores what the problems were and is deep in stereotypes that are unfounded when looking at this years performance of the African teams.


Three teams that massively underperformed were technically and tactically adept? You must be joking.

You say that they were technically good but lacked finishers. What is the point of knocking the ball around and not scoring? Morocco were especially notorious for this.
I say that not only did they lack finishers, but they also lacked playmakers who could create chances. And the defending was often shambolic.

If African players are so good then how come they scarcely feature in the top European teams. How many African bred players are in top European teams?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
sayala wrote:
marutimon wrote:
sayala wrote:
The interviewer seems to have a better idea about why African football is lagging. It is because of our culture of corruption and incompetence. The people running our federations are utterly corrupt and useless. I mean for petes sake we had Hayatou as CAF chairman for 20 years. It will take forever to recover from that. And most African federations are led by corrupt and useless Hayatou clones.

Also notice that Drogba describes African teams as powerful and fast. These are the so called stereotypes that many on this forum are unhappy with. Yet Drogba and others are right. Its a polite way of saying African teams are tactically and technically inept and rely too much on natural talent. This will not work in modern football. Gone are the days when Maradona could dribble a whole team by himself and score. Today all teams are defending with 10 men behind the ball. Dribbling is not that useful a skill.


Nigeria, Senegal and Morocco were all technically and tactically well drilled sides.
They lacked finishers, so small nuances. Senegal front three and Etebo were probably the only ones guilty of dribbling past multiple players, but these teams were tactically sound in midfield and at the back.

Your analysis totally ignores what the problems were and is deep in stereotypes that are unfounded when looking at this years performance of the African teams.


Three teams that massively underperformed were technically and tactically adept? You must be joking.

You say that they were technically good but lacked finishers. What is the point of knocking the ball around and not scoring? Morocco were especially notorious for this.
I say that not only did they lack finishers, but they also lacked playmakers who could create chances. And the defending was often shambolic.

If African players are so good then how come they scarcely feature in the top European teams. How many African bred players are in top European teams?


Let's leave Morocco out of this. Ziyech is one of the best creative players in Europe. They had a host of other creative outlets on the wings and in midfield. Morocco didn't have problems with creativity. They had poor officiating, bad luck, no striker and the rest were slightly off. They were arguably the best team not to make it out of their group and better than half of those who did make it.

Tactically Senegal and Nigeria looked very good.

Technically you have some issues plus I agree with your comment about lack of creativity in midfield. This was especially evident with Etebo, who was always looking to dribble instead of passing. Etebo looked great most of the time, but his limitations were evident in the final third. That is why Iwobi needed to play or Iheanacho should have played as an AM and we are in dire need of someone like Nwakali. So that we can address this issue.

African football lacks creative midfielders. At the moment the most creative players are Naby Keita, Bertrand Traore, Mohammed Salah and Sadio Mane, then we have Thomas Partey, Jean Seri and a host of wingers. Salah and Mane operate more on the wings as do most of African'smost creative players.

Naby Keita is utter brilliance. The most complete footballer in the world at the moment. A mix of Kante and Iniesta. Deadly everywhere in midfield plus a creative tour de force. But he plays for Guinea.

Bertrand Traore is hit and miss so far, plus he plays for Burkina Faso.

That said I could see both Guinea (who now have Amadou Diawara committed) and Burkina Faso make the expanded 2022 World Cup. Mostly on the back of their creative midfielders.

Overall Nigeria and Senegal need to up their creativity in midfield. But that said the problem was someone else - both Senegal and Nigeria played non-scoring strikers up front and that backfired. Mbaye Niang and Odion Ighalo need too many chances to score. Plus Niang and his wing partners all try to dribble the ball into goal. Had Nigeria and Senegal played a effective goalscorer both would have likely made it out of the group.

Nigeria doesn't have a proven goalscorer. Iheanacho was supposed to be it, but he flattered to deceive. But Ighalo was even worse. Senegal did have proven goalscorers - Oumar Niasse for one (awkward, but effective striker, partly due to being so awkward), but also Moussa Sow or Moussa Konate. Aliou Cisse did everything right, except for one thing: He played three players up front who overdribble. It's good to have one or two of those. But you need someone who will go for the simple solution. Enter Niasse.

If Senegal had taken Niasse to the World Cup and started him, I'n pretty certain Senegal would have made a deep run.

This is Niasse from yesterday. Classic Niasse goal:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group