Drogba talks about results of African Teams in Russia(video)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Drogba talks about results of African Teams in Russia(vi

Post by wiseone »

Your comments about Keita worry me! (i.e. he will significantly improve Liverpool)

One thing that was common to the African teams was the absence of clinical and ruthless finishers. In the past African teams had an abundance of quality strikers (Eto'o, Drogba, Mboba, Zaki, Gedo, Gervinho, Gyan) but were leaky at the back. The leaks at the back and defending have improved (e.g. Senegal's defensive pairing of Koulibaly and Sane were one of the best in the tournament). However has that come at the expense of free scoring and attacking? Additionally, it is a shame that the best striker in Africa (PEA) plays for a team that is not likely to make the world cup during his career.

I thought the 48 team WC will start in 2026, not 2022?

marutimon wrote: Let's leave Morocco out of this. Ziyech is one of the best creative players in Europe. They had a host of other creative outlets on the wings and in midfield. Morocco didn't have problems with creativity. They had poor officiating, bad luck, no striker and the rest were slightly off. They were arguably the best team not to make it out of their group and better than half of those who did make it.

Tactically Senegal and Nigeria looked very good.

Naby Keita is utter brilliance. The most complete footballer in the world at the moment. A mix of Kante and Iniesta. Deadly everywhere in midfield plus a creative tour de force. But he plays for Guinea.

Bertrand Traore is hit and miss so far, plus he plays for Burkina Faso.

That said I could see both Guinea (who now have Amadou Diawara committed) and Burkina Faso make the expanded 2022 World Cup. Mostly on the back of their creative midfielders.

Overall Nigeria and Senegal need to up their creativity in midfield. But that said the problem was someone else - both Senegal and Nigeria played non-scoring strikers up front and that backfired. Mbaye Niang and Odion Ighalo need too many chances to score. Plus Niang and his wing partners all try to dribble the ball into goal. Had Nigeria and Senegal played a effective goalscorer both would have likely made it out of the group.

Nigeria doesn't have a proven goalscorer. Iheanacho was supposed to be it, but he flattered to deceive. But Ighalo was even worse. Senegal did have proven goalscorers - Oumar Niasse for one (awkward, but effective striker, partly due to being so awkward), but also Moussa Sow or Moussa Konate. Aliou Cisse did everything right, except for one thing: He played three players up front who overdribble. It's good to have one or two of those. But you need someone who will go for the simple solution. Enter Niasse.

If Senegal had taken Niasse to the World Cup and started him, I'n pretty certain Senegal would have made a deep run.

This is Niasse from yesterday. Classic Niasse goal:
[/video]
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Drogba went to eight competition just to participate.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Goldleaf wrote:Solution: Stick to your DNA and enhance it. The likes of Germany, Italy, Holland are now going back to the drawing board and we will see their improvement in Qatar.
Africa will buy the drawing board for double its worth once the chalk stains are indelible and the pupils have scratched their initials atop I Woz Ere slogans into its wooden frame.