Afcon 2019. Rebuild or Retool?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Afcon 2019. Rebuild or Retool?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

First we have to qualify. Should the team be rebuilt by adding a inch of new players or should minor changes be made to correct the flaws of the wc team? This is the first question we have to answer.

I say make minor changes should be. Bring 3 or 4 players that could make the team better and go for the title.

Nwakali,Onyekuru and Simon should be added to the attack, otherwise I’d keep the same team . :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Afcon 2019. Rebuild or Retool?

Post by 1naija »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:First we have to qualify. Should the team be rebuilt by adding a inch of new players or should minor changes be made to correct the flaws of the wc team? This is the first question we have to answer.

I say make minor changes should be. Bring 3 or 4 players that could make the team better and go for the title.

Nwakali,Onyekuru and Simon should be added to the attack, otherwise I’d keep the same team . :thumb:

The days of adding players are gone. Players that want to be part of the team have to prove themselves. If by Simon you mean Moses Simon, then he has proven himself don't need to do anything else.

BTW, I would put Simmy Nwankwo back in the pool of players that have to prove themselves.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

We've been rebuilding since 2002 when will we start winning?
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I think that, with Ighalo hopefully out of the picture, we need to begin the process of identifying players who can put the ball in the net, since that was our main undoing in the recent WC.
I believe Simy already has a leg in. The likes of Umar, Awoniyi, Osinmeh and one or two others should be slowly onboarded into the team so that, hopefully, in the next 3 years, they would have been battle tested and ready for major competitions.
1naija wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:First we have to qualify. Should the team be rebuilt by adding a inch of new players or should minor changes be made to correct the flaws of the wc team? This is the first question we have to answer.

The days of adding players are gone. Players that want to be part of the team have to prove themselves. If by Simon you mean Moses Simon, then he has proven himself don't need to do anything else.

BTW, I would put Simmy Nwankwo back in the pool of players that have to prove themselves.
Last edited by Otitokoro on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

kalani JR wrote:We've been rebuilding since 2002 when will we start winning?
Every team adds better personnel to keep refreshing the ranks and strengthening the team. We call that "rebuild".

We need to add younger/new players to replace aging ones and competition for others
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Otitokoro wrote:I think that, with Ighalo hopefully out of the picture, we need to begin the process of identifying players who can put the ball in the net, since that was our main undoing in the recent WC.
I believe Simy already has a leg in. The likes of Umar, Awoniyi, Osinmeh and one or two others should be slowly onboarded into the team so that, hopefully, in the next 3 years, they would have been battle tested and ready for major competitions.
1naija wrote:

Is Simmy's "leg in" based on how many goals he has scored for Nigeria compared to Ighalo? He should prove he is better than Ighalo first.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Untrue statement.

You cant say we have been rebuilding since 2002 when we have gone through 5-6 different coaching regimes in the same period. That is not how rebuilding works.

Now if you want to say we have been rebuilding and dismantling then rebuilding since 2002, that is more accurate.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

We won this tournament the last time we participated in it.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Seriously?
This one is easy.
The team building is well under way
Need to find a good goal scorer
A creative midfielder
And another goal keeper

Everything else is pretty much in place or well on its way.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The current crisis at the NFF may derail our AFCON 2019 chances.

Naturally, the coach should begin preparations behind the scenes immediately after the WC (or we get a new coach if we no longer need him). But with all the uncertainty surrounding the NFF leadership, things may be at a standstill for a while. Is the coach even being paid? Does he know if he'll still have a job when the dust settles?

If we fail to qualify or do badly at the competition, people will focus on the result and start pointing fingers at the coaches or individual players. They'll fail to acknowledge the fact we already shot ourselves on the foot long before limping our way to that outcome.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Orion wrote:The current crisis at the NFF may derail our AFCON 2019 chances.

Naturally, the coach should begin preparations behind the scenes immediately after the WC (or we get a new coach if we no longer need him). But with all the uncertainty surrounding the NFF leadership, things may be at a standstill for a while. Is the coach even being paid? Does he know if he'll still have a job when the dust settles?

If we fail to qualify or do badly at the competition, people will focus on the result and start pointing fingers at the coaches or individual players. They'll fail to acknowledge the fact we already shot ourselves on the foot long before limping our way to that outcome.
May derail??? The exact same thing happened 4 years ago and we failed to qualify for AFCON as a result.
The exact same thing will likely happen again.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I wonder! Every time, we have to "rebuild" and "rebuild." When are we going to start winning? I am getting fed-up with the rebuilding processes?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
adebisy
Egg
Egg

Post by adebisy »

We won AFCON in 2013 and got to 2nd round WC 2014. I guess this is rebuilding to win another AFCON and probably get to Quarter Finals in 2022 WC
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

waka-man wrote:Seriously?
This one is easy.
The team building is well under way
Need to find a good goal scorer
A creative midfielder
And another goal keeper

Everything else is pretty much in place or well on its way.

A left back and players who know how to cross the ball.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The team is pretty much 70% in place, positions we need to urgently look into are:
Left back- Idowu is reliable but not a quality player, Ola Aina is definitely ahead of him but we need to try out that left back home based player that played against Athletico Madrid in the second half of the friendly... I think Uwem is his name, loved his game. Echejile is pretty much done, thanks for your services.
CAM: Iwobi needs competition badly, homeboy seems to have some confidence issue filling in that prominent #10 role, time for Kelechi Nwakali to be given a chance, he's pretty much the most prominent playmaker we have now outside of Iwobi. He needs to sort out his club situation as well.
FWD/CF/ST... :Need I say more? We are in a SOS situation with this position, we've pretty much wasted time on Ighalo, and Kelechi inspite of his immense talent seems to be having some mental block right now, his decision making still leaves much to be desired, but I feel he has been mostly played out of position. Kele should be left to play the position hr excelled with in his U17 days. The likes of Awoniyi, Osimhen, Simy, Jololo are the prime candidates for the problematic #9 position, but time will tell which of these players will finally step up to the big challenge.
GK: We are badly in a dearth of quality here, Uzoho has been decent but he is somewhat overhyped by fans, maybe because our goal keeping standards have hit a desperate snag in recent years, we haven't produced top class Gks since Enyeama....but I've heard interesting names like the Sam Okoye and the other Naija kid in the Arsenal reserves, either way we are f**ed if Uzoho is the best we have now.

Other positions are pretty much set, so we are not necessarily rebuilding since we have the framework already, retooling and refitting (adding more options to the foundation) seems more of an ideal term.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

You actually mention something that was thrilling for me after watching this World Cup.The players that you mention and I have highlighted are all tall and should have good advantage in the air where I think the solution lies with the type of defenses shown at the recent World Cup. For me, those compact defenses that made passing through the middle virtually impossible in several of the games can be attacked wide with quick wide players that can also cross the ball. The type of patient passing of the ball around is often worthless against such defenses. We are going to need not just wide players who can cross and dribble quickly but also players in the middle who duel successfully in the air. Also these should be players who are quick on their feet to take advantage of long passes before the defenses converge.
Otitokoro wrote:I think that, with Ighalo hopefully out of the picture, we need to begin the process of identifying players who can put the ball in the net, since that was our main undoing in the recent WC.
1naija wrote:

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

ROHR should GTFO