I fail to see any leadership in the Eagles post-Mikel

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) A lack of leadership on the pitch is one of the biggest bands we have in the current crop of Eagles
(2) The fact that a centre back crept into our 18 yard box unattended with five minutes to go says it all
(3) If we had a real leader like Christian Chukwu or Stephen Keshi in our defence, we would not have conceded they goal against Argentina
(4) Poor Mikel could only do so much organising. He is only one man
(5) With Mikel gone, we will have a huge void to fill with regards to leadership
(6) I am looking at the list of players and to be honest, none of the senior players like Omeruo, Balogun, Ekong, Moses or Musa fill me with any confidence
(7) If any of you saw Pogba’s team talk before the World Cup final you would get my point. You could just see that he was a natural leader who could motivate his team mates
(8) As much as scoff at Yeye Arsenal, I have to give it to them. They produced what I would call the ultimate captain in Tony Adams. He led his team in a way that should serve as a template. He raised his hand and everyone stepped up. If Tony Adams had been playing for us against Argentina, we would easily have kept a clean sheet
(9) With Mikel poised to retire from international football, who will lead the Eagles? The only two hopefuls I see are Ndidi and Nwakali but alas, they are still about three to four years away
(10) Nigeria’s Captain should also be someone who is internationally recognised ala Keshi, Yobo, Okocha, Oliseh, Kanu, Enyeama, Mikel, etc.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: I fail to see any leadership in the Eagles post-Mikel

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And how did Arsenal produce Adams? Is there a system in place that allows leaders to come to the fore or did George Graham merely look for the bus conductor with the loudest voice in Ojuelegba. Contradiction after contradiction, in order for leadership, there needs a system that teaches and trains leadership and management. Where will such be taught if not in academies and sports facilities where youths are trained in the physical, technical and psychological aspects of the game? In a previous thread you denounced the need for such citing Okocha et al as perfect examples. So, alas, in addition to six world class players by Qatar, the expectation is for an individual with the leadership qualities of Flash Gordon in the Defenders of the Earth, to emerge from the floodlightless, cobbledstoned playing fields too?

Without a system, Nigeria will achieve none of the above and another 10 pointer will be posted in November 2022, after another shower of sh*t at the Mundial. As the saying goes, you want cars, you build factories or f*cking walk.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:And how did Arsenal produce Adams? Is there a system in place that allows leaders to come to the fore or did George Graham merely look for the bus conductor with the loudest voice in Ojuelegba. Contradiction after contradiction, in order for leadership, there needs a system that teaches and trains leadership and management. Where will such be taught if not in academies and sports facilities where youths are trained in the physical, technical and psychological aspects of the game? In a previous thread you denounced the need for such citing Okocha et al as perfect examples. So, alas, in addition to six world class players by Qatar, the expectation is for an individual with the leadership qualities of Flash Gordon in the Defenders of the Earth, to emerge from the floodlightless, cobbledstoned playing fields too?

Without a system, Nigeria will achieve none of the above and another 10 pointer will be posted in November 2022, after another shower of sh*t at the Mundial. As the saying goes, you want cars, you build factories or f*cking walk.
George Graham actually plucked the unknown 21 year old Tony Adams from obscurity and made him captain to the surprise of everyone. Adams was a natural leader and not a trained one as you appear to be suggesting!
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

Time for Mr Iwobi to step it up..many other internationals at his level and age are captains.

An odd choice you might say but I believe he can do it.

Make him stop his small boy persona and join the greats!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Onazi is our captain!
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Onazi is our captain!
Piano player.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Ayo, by relative obscurity, are you implying the council estate playing fields or was he a YTS equivalent graduate, one signed as a schoolboy and educated in an establishment where he was taught the physical, technical and mental aspects of the game?
adebisy
Egg
Egg

Post by adebisy »

Coach wrote:And how did Arsenal produce Adams? Is there a system in place that allows leaders to come to the fore or did George Graham merely look for the bus conductor with the loudest voice in Ojuelegba. Contradiction after contradiction, in order for leadership, there needs a system that teaches and trains leadership and management. Where will such be taught if not in academies and sports facilities where youths are trained in the physical, technical and psychological aspects of the game? In a previous thread you denounced the need for such citing Okocha et al as perfect examples. So, alas, in addition to six world class players by Qatar, the expectation is for an individual with the leadership qualities of Flash Gordon in the Defenders of the Earth, to emerge from the floodlightless, cobbledstoned playing fields too?

I actually understood what you wrote. Good point but Keshi, Oliseh, Chukwu, Kanu etc didn't graduate from suvh system and they were good captains . Same goes Geoge Weah.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And since that meteorite struck the earth, how many George Weahs have Liberia produced? How Olisehs, Kanus, Chukwus, Keshis has Nigeria produced? The cosmologist would argue, now and then, the planets align...but must a golden generation be a purely cosmic phenomenon? Invest in the grass roots and the gold could be continuous. What is so inflammatory about such a suggestion? And yes Nigeria does have the wealth to do so, there are prominent Nigerians with the necessary capital stuffed beneath mattresses, living once a month in stately homes across London, cash purchases. James Ibori owned a whole London monopoly board, not a single mortgage, more rubber-bands than T.I. And supposedly, Nigeria is rich enough. Imagine what could've been done with the millions and billions, were they invested in Nigeria.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Much ado about nothing. Soldier go soldier come... barracks remain! :D
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And then Barack went and that Trumped that theory.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:And since that meteorite struck the earth, how many George Weahs have Liberia produced? How Olisehs, Kanus, Chukwus, Keshis has Nigeria produced? The cosmologist would argue, now and then, the planets align...but must a golden generation be a purely cosmic phenomenon? Invest in the grass roots and the gold could be continuous. What is so inflammatory about such a suggestion? And yes Nigeria does have the wealth to do so, there are prominent Nigerians with the necessary capital stuffed beneath mattresses, living once a month in stately homes across London, cash purchases. James Ibori owned a whole London monopoly board, not a single mortgage, more rubber-bands than T.I. And supposedly, Nigeria is rich enough. Imagine what could've been done with the millions and billions, were they invested in Nigeria.

Are you for real? You want people who stole Nigeria's money to invest it in football academies?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

How is you failing to open your eyes or failing to see what is there, our problem?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

No, the point wasn’t that stolen money should be invested in football academies, rather stating the obvious, Nigeria has the revenue to emerge from the chrysalis a bold winged butterfly and soar. Nigeria is not poor, Nigeria has endless potential but rather than actualise it, it gleefully accepts the moniker third world and does everything in its power to retain that badge of honour. No stolen money shouldn’t be pumped into academies rather the question need be, how the f*ck can one man still hundreds of millions in Ibori’s case and billions in that of Abacha. Millions and billions that may well have made Nigeria a different entity today. There is money in Nigeria, the suggestion that there isn’t the type of lie that would have an IKEA bedroom set growing from the front of Pinocchio’s face. If Nigeria were a fraction more functional, it would years further along an otherwise flat and plateaued developmental curve.

Again, imagine what Nigeria could’ve been were it’s powerholders not as sick and diseased as they are. That’s the point, not that the thieves should spare a few millions from their Swiss accounts rather, if this culture wasn’t so endemic, almost Mendelianly inherited, if state governors took pride in their state and presidents took pride in that they presided over, Nigeria would be an African leviathan. But that is all for the parallel universe, money must be stolen, squandered overseas, third world must remain third world. As Crick and Watson would say, flanked by Kendrick Lamar, “DNA”.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

guest83 wrote:Time for Mr Iwobi to step it up..many other internationals at his level and age are captains.

An odd choice you might say but I believe he can do it.

Make him stop his small boy persona and join the greats!
Who? Please who? Tell me who?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:No, the point wasn’t that stolen money should be invested in football academies, rather stating the obvious, Nigeria has the revenue to emerge from the chrysalis a bold winged butterfly and soar. Nigeria is not poor, Nigeria has endless potential but rather than actualise it, it gleefully accepts the moniker third world and does everything in its power to retain that badge of honour. No stolen money shouldn’t be pumped into academies rather the question need be, how the f*ck can one man still hundreds of millions in Ibori’s case and billions in that of Abacha. Millions and billions that may well have made Nigeria a different entity today. There is money in Nigeria, the suggestion that there isn’t the type of lie that would have an IKEA bedroom set growing from the front of Pinocchio’s face. If Nigeria were a fraction more functional, it would years further along an otherwise flat and plateaued developmental curve.

Again, imagine what Nigeria could’ve been were it’s powerholders not as sick and diseased as they are. That’s the point, not that the thieves should spare a few millions from their Swiss accounts rather, if this culture wasn’t so endemic, almost Mendelianly inherited, if state governors took pride in their state and presidents took pride in that they presided over, Nigeria would be an African leviathan. But that is all for the parallel universe, money must be stolen, squandered overseas, third world must remain third world. As Crick and Watson would say, flanked by Kendrick Lamar, “DNA”.
A country of 180m with an annual budget of just $20bn is poor! Nigeria has now actually overtaken India as the country with the largest number of poor people in the world.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

How many people, that have ever existed, could rival Abacha’s Swiss account balance? Nigeria may be poor but not because it’s doesn’t have money. The solution is not to manij am and settle for scouting networks all the while polishing our third world membership badge. There needs to be a drive to instill accountability, pride and purpose in governance. Football, sport is an enormous industry through which tremendous revenue could be generated, rather than wishing on a star, build the necessary infrastructure from which the a product can be produce at mass.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:How many people, that have ever existed, could rival Abacha’s Swiss account balance? Nigeria may be poor but not because it’s doesn’t have money. The solution is not to manij am and settle for scouting networks all the while polishing our third world membership badge. There needs to be a drive to instill accountability, pride and purpose in governance. Football, sport is an enormous industry through which tremendous revenue could be generated, rather than wishing on a star, build the necessary infrastructure from which the a product can be produce at mass.
Abacha only stole $5bn. Man United alone is worth $3.7bn.

It is a myth that Nigeria is a wealthy county. Our total GDP only adds up to about $500bn!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And how much revenue could be generated through a globalised NPL? Through an advanced and structured system of academies? It’s a potential gold mine and Nigeria has the raw materials, all it needs is the order and organisation. So much talent is lost to the waves, never to blossom and become what they could’ve been. Nigeria must aspire to be good enough to offer its produce a grounded curriculum, relatively complete, such that the cake needn’t be taken out of the oven a stodgy mess, rather a full flavoured gateaux awaiting no more than a second layer of icing. Investment in the league, investment in the grassroots, take it to the standard whereby the suitors come as they do to the South Americas. A Neymar in Nigeria goes for the cheapest Igbankwu since Highbury Groves, Denzel Uchebuchukwu knocked for Paulette McClean. One six pack of Dragon Stout and 3 portions of brown stew chicken from Mr Dutchies Caribbean takeaway. Build up the industry, the establishment and the revenue that could be generated would be enormous. How much did City pay for Iheanacho and what profit was made on his sale. Did they teach him that much more? A better system in place and City knock with bags of the necessary to take him away. And there could be thousands more all across the country. Nigeria has the potential just pour the water, add the fertiliser, tend to the garden and watch it grow.

A dream perhaps, yet a reality for so many active nations.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) A lack of leadership on the pitch is one of the biggest bands we have in the current crop of Eagles
(2) The fact that a centre back crept into our 18 yard box unattended with five minutes to go says it all
(3) If we had a real leader like Christian Chukwu or Stephen Keshi in our defence, we would not have conceded they goal against Argentina
(4) Poor Mikel could only do so much organising. He is only one man
(5) With Mikel gone, we will have a huge void to fill with regards to leadership
(6) I am looking at the list of players and to be honest, none of the senior players like Omeruo, Balogun, Ekong, Moses or Musa fill me with any confidence
(7) If any of you saw Pogba’s team talk before the World Cup final you would get my point. You could just see that he was a natural leader who could motivate his team mates
(8) As much as scoff at Yeye Arsenal, I have to give it to them. They produced what I would call the ultimate captain in Tony Adams. He led his team in a way that should serve as a template. He raised his hand and everyone stepped up. If Tony Adams had been playing for us against Argentina, we would easily have kept a clean sheet
(9) With Mikel poised to retire from international football, who will lead the Eagles? The only two hopefuls I see are Ndidi and Nwakali but alas, they are still about three to four years away
(10) Nigeria’s Captain should also be someone who is internationally recognised ala Keshi, Yobo, Okocha, Oliseh, Kanu, Enyeama, Mikel, etc.
Why didnt you invite Chukwu and Keshi to camp?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am still waiting to see who fills that leftback role then we will know our starting 11.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

After Mikel; Ekong, Onazi, and Balogun are the three that seem to be next in line for captain. Iwobi could also grow into a leadership role.