Mesut Ozil retires from international football, cites racism

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Mesut Ozil retires from international football, cites ra

Post by anikulapo »

F360 wrote:
anikulapo wrote:Strange that there haven’t been many German teammates (past or present) who seem upset by Ozil dropping out .... but wetin small pikin like me sabi :laugh:

It's strange since Germans can be quite blunt at times but not strange in this situation.
Dortmund have been in the USA for the past week and I was able to talk to a number of their team-pr & communications as well as the German media that covers Dortmund. The German players feel they are in a no win situation (whether we disagree with their belief or not). If they say something to support Ozil, they feel it will be taken the wrong way. The German players- Reus, Gotze, Schmelzer, have also been advised to say nothing by the team PR. They know it's a hot topic. Their PR guys are watching and listening like hawks to everything asked to those players and particularly for questions about Ozil so they can say "next question".
I would imagine it's the same with Bayern- their players and PR staff- especially after Hoeness decided to add himself into the situation.

Ok but I did say past or present :idea:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

F360 wrote:
anikulapo wrote:Strange that there haven’t been many German teammates (past or present) who seem upset by Ozil dropping out .... but wetin small pikin like me sabi :laugh:

It's strange since Germans can be quite blunt at times but not strange in this situation.
Dortmund have been in the USA for the past week and I was able to talk to a number of their team-pr & communications as well as the German media that covers Dortmund. The German players feel they are in a no win situation (whether we disagree with their belief or not). If they say something to support Ozil, they feel it will be taken the wrong way. The German players- Reus, Gotze, Schmelzer, have also been advised to say nothing by the team PR. They know it's a hot topic. Their PR guys are watching and listening like hawks to everything asked to those players and particularly for questions about Ozil so they can say "next question".
I would imagine it's the same with Bayern- their players and PR staff- especially after Hoeness decided to add himself into the situation.
:clap:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views
Its however a pity that posters are still attacked for stating divergent opinions

My take

I followed the WC and entire Saga here in Germany
I am a German, have lived here since Ozil was five and will say the avoidable episode has only losers. Many

Once again Germany and Germans have been boxed in a corner by their past, and collective guilt that they have worked so hard to shelve.
Watching the comments from Germans, apart from some Agberos like Hoeness lol about EVERYONE feel Ozil was wrong or at best naive.
Sure he should have done things differently and hundreds of thousands of very young germans with foreign backgrounds that see him as a role model and want to play for germany are confused and stranded, my sons included.

What could be argued as a harmless photo coincided with many background events that will give the opinion that Ozil that is so good with the ball has allowed himself to be used as one, and has landed in offside

The photo was taken a day before the anticipated announcement of the preliminary german squad with the turkish president when he visited london.

The players will say they are not interested in politics, fair enough but Erdogan had a serious spat with their country
Erdogan had called Merkel the real enemy after calling holland nazi remnants
He interfered in the German election by asking ALL 1.3 million turks eligible to vote not to vote for the ruling coalition CDU/CSU SPD and Green party
Same turks including the two players are also eligible to vote in the turkish elections, but in return He was BANNED by the German government from campaigning in Germany.
The picture must not necessarily mean taking sides with Erdogan in his election or against Germany but while Gundogan quickly gave an explanation when asked by DFB to -citing respect and courtesy, Ozil kept quiet over 9 weeks despite pressure to give an explanation and not an apology

If Germany had won the WC the drama would not get this far even if turkish and ghanain flags appeared on the rostrum, but they did not and after producing some pathetic displays scapegoats were needed. Ozil, Khedira, Muller fell into the category after the first game just like Kroos would have been roasted if he did not get the late winner against Sweden

This was the first time Ozil did not start a game in a tournament (WC and EC) since his debut 2009, 26 CONSECUTIVE starts! in total till being snubbed for the sweden game. 2010-7, 2012-5, 2014-7, 2016-6, 2018-1
No german or any player in the World has done that and apart from his class, it shows loyalty, patience, belief and gratitude by the coach even when his form was considered suspect

In this time the exceptional player raked in 92 caps in total -on merit, and ALL by just the coach that gave him his debut. Low.

When he had enough, he threw in his towel which after 92 is a great achievement that should be applauded and not condemned.

The german footballer in doing it chose to announce or tweet it in English
without informing the person that remained his NT coach in the team he was leaving, and had given him all his matches

To the issue of claiming racism and anti islamic sentiments, the germans have been placed on the defensive and there is potentially much at stake and much to lose.
Germany are slight favourites over Turkey to get the rights to stage the 2024 EC which will be announced on 23.09.2018 with the motto 'No place for racism'. What a boost and ammunition for Turkey
Ozil will be used for a long time for many issues including entering the EU but a player with his standing deserved a better farewell. Testimonial game, acclaim and much more. Now there is the question of trust and loyalty

Its noteworthy that only three of his teammates posted replies and likes as at yesterday morning for his resignation tweet. Boateng, Rudiger that was lampooned in Russia and Draxler. All members of his bling bling faction. Boateng´s short comment translated to ´it was nice having you´, could be interpreted as weldone, and also as fukk off

There is racism here and everywhere in the world both in football and outside. I have been the only black playing in a particular game watched by 1000 people here hearing noises I dont understand but in Nigeria 1992 I played in a team where the yorubas and ibos because of captainship tussle did not pass the ball to one another. I was made interim captain

As a DFB licensed coach here I have seen genuine efforts the Germans started with youth integration after the 2000 EC and the best were groomed notwithstanding their beliefs or background. Since then other turks and muslims have played for Germany and neither Owomoyela nor Aogo had such a long tweet to write

Wishing Ozil the very best. It takes braveness to do what he has done and I hope the matter should not be an impediment to all that has been ivested in intregration

Megapro
Hannover
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

megapro wrote:
F360 wrote:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views
Its however a pity that posters are still attacked for stating divergent opinions

My take

I am a German, have lived here since Ozil was five and will say the avoidable episode has only losers. Many

Once again Germany and Germans have been boxed in a corner by their past, and collective guilt that they have worked so hard to shelve.
Watching the comments from Germans, apart from some Agberos like Hoeness lol about EVERYONE feel Ozil was wrong or at best naive.
Sure he should have done things differently and hundreds of thousands of very young germans with foreign backgrounds that see him as a role model and want to play for germany are confused and stranded, my sons included.

What could be argued as a harmless photo coincided with many background events that will give the opinion that Ozil that is so good with the ball has allowed himself to be used as one, and has landed in offside

The photo was taken a day before the anticipated announcement of the preliminary german squad with the turkish president when he visited london.

The players will say they are not interested in politics, fair enough but Erdogan had a serious spat with their country
He interfered in the German election by asking ALL 1.3 million turks eligible to vote not to vote for the ruling coalition CDU/CSU SPD and Green party
Same turks including the two players are also eligible to vote in the turkish elections, but in return He was BANNED by the German government from campaigning in Germany.
The picture must not necessarily mean taking sides with Erdogan in his election or against Germany but while Gundogan quickly gave an explanation when asked by DFB to -citing respect and courtesy, Ozil kept quiet over 9 weeks despite pressure to give an explanation and not an apology

If Germany had won the WC the drama would not get this far even if turkish and ghanain flags appeared on the rostrum, but they did not and after producing some pathetic displays scapegoats were needed. Ozil, Khedira, Muller fell into the category after the first game just like Kroos would have been roasted if he did not get the late winner against Sweden

This was the first time Ozil did not start a game in a tournament (WC and EC) since his debut 2009, 26 CONSECUTIVE starts! in total till being snubbed for the sweden game. 2010-7, 2012-5, 2014-7, 2016-6, 2018-1
No german or any player in the World has done that and apart from his class, it shows loyalty, patience, belief and gratitude by the coach even when his form was considered suspect

In this time the exceptional player raked in 92 caps in total -on merit, and ALL by just the coach that gave him his debut. Low.

When he had enough, he threw in his towel which after 92 is a great achievement that should be applauded and not condemned.

without informing the person that remained his NT coach in the team he was leaving, and had given him all his matches

To the issue of claiming racism and anti islamic sentiments, the germans have been placed on the defensive and there is potentially much at stake and much to lose.
Germany are slight favourites over Turkey to get the rights to stage the 2024 EC which will be announced on 23.09.2018 with the motto 'No place for racism'. What a boost and ammunition for Turkey
Ozil will be used for a long time for many issues including entering the EU but a player with his standing deserved a better farewell. Testimonial game, acclaim and much more. Now there is the question of trust and loyalty

Its noteworthy that only three of his teammates posted replies and likes as at yesterday morning for his resignation tweet. Boateng, Rudiger that was lampooned in Russia and Draxler. All members of his bling bling faction. Boateng´s short comment translated to ´it was nice having you´, could be interpreted as weldone, and also as fukk off

There is racism here and everywhere in the world both in football and outside. I have been the only black playing in a particular game watched by 1000 people here hearing noises I dont understand but in Nigeria 1992 I played in a team where the yorubas and ibos because of captainship tussle did not pass the ball to one another. I was made interim captain

As a DFB licensed coach here I have seen genuine efforts the Germans started with youth integration after the 2000 EC and the best were groomed notwithstanding their beliefs or background. Since then other turks and muslims have played for Germany and neither Owomoyela nor Aogo had such a long tweet to write

Wishing Ozil the very best. It takes braveness to do what he has done and I hope the matter should not be an impediment to all that has been ivested in intregration

Megapro
Hannover
:clap: :clap: Oga megapro take a bow. I don't know why some people here are attacking others who don't share same opinion about this Ozil.Uncle Bepanda, Uncle Aniks and others been attack here as if its a crime to have different opinion. :boo: :boo:
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Can you show me where I attacked other posters?
Good to get an opinion from another African in Germany.
Bepanda
kajifu wrote:
megapro wrote:
F360 wrote:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views

My take

Megapro
Hannover
:clap: :clap: Oga megapro take a bow. I don't know why some people here are attacking others who don't share same opinion about this Ozil.Uncle Bepanda, Uncle Aniks and others been attack here as if its a crime to have different opinion. :boo: :boo:
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

bepanda wrote:Can you show me where I attacked other posters?
Good to get an opinion from another African in Germany.
Bepanda
kajifu wrote:
megapro wrote:
F360 wrote:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views

My take

Megapro
Hannover
bepanda
On the contrary, he was not referring to you, rather speaking for you
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

anikulapo wrote:
F360 wrote:

Ok but I did say past or present :idea:
Ok you have a point about past German players. One would think the Schweinsteigers, Lahms, etc. might feel free to say something but perhaps they aren't good friends with Ozil.
Now Mertesacker and Podolski are different. All played together at Arsenal and roomed together at the 2014 WC in Brazil. Surprised none have said anything publicly.

--------------------------------------------
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

megapro wrote:
F360 wrote:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views

My take

Megapro
Hannover
Well said Megapro. Well said, sir. :clap:

--------------------------------------------
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

megapro wrote:
F360 wrote:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views

My take

Megapro
Hannover
I think of many people confuse several things. Criticism against Özil was usual about 3 points:

1) his performance in Russia
2) the picture with Erdogan and his reaction
3) his heritage

1) & 2) are legitimate points, but 3 is not. And Özil's point that people in public positions openly attacked him racially with no consequences, not even a statement from the DFB defending him in regards to 3 is a legitimate point, in my opinion even much bigger than 1) & 2). Grindel's behaviour according to Özil, which is well in line with Grindel's documented behaviour as a politician, cast a horrendous image on him. According to Özil it was Grindel that told him to stay away from the media day for example. Also Özil has complained in the past already, that newspapers would constantly refer to him as German-Turkish while not do the same for people with non-Turkish backgrounds.

DFB really started to embrace people from everywhere and recognized the function the team could have for society from 2004, under Zwanziger. His precedessor was more or less openly racist (Mayer-Vorfelder) and Grindel has shown with his behaviour (even as a politician) that he is not suitable for the role as the DFB president.

Also Özil's sentiment about acceptance is shared by many people with foregin backgrounds in Germany, especially with a Turkish background. Take the Altintop brothers (Die beiden 23-Jährigen, die in dieser Saison gemeinsam für Schalke spielen, fühlen sich in Deutschland als Ausländer, obwohl sie in Gelsenkirchen geboren und aufgewachsen sind. „Man kann es drehen und wenden, wie man will, aber wir bleiben in Deutschland Ausländer. Am Ende, wenn es drauf ankommt, sind wir doch Türken“, sagte Hamit Altintop. Deshalb hätten sich die beiden auch für die türkische Nationalmannschaft entschieden) for example, in fact Özil was only the second player of Turkish origin that played for Germany (ignoring Mehmet Scholl as did not have anything to do with Turkey apart from his name).

btw: how could the Boateng statement be interpreted as "**** off"? You left out the "abi" in the short translation, and "**** off, abi" does not make sense.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

kofi86 wrote:
megapro wrote:
F360 wrote:

I noticed that also!

F30, Tobi17, Bapenda
I share your views

My take

Megapro
Hannover
I think of many people confuse several things. Criticism against Özil was usual about 3 points:

1) his performance in Russia
2) the picture with Erdogan and his reaction
3) his heritage

1) & 2) are legitimate points, but 3 is not. And Özil's point that people in public positions openly attacked him racially with no consequences, not even a statement from the DFB defending him in regards to 3 is a legitimate point, in my opinion even much bigger than 1) & 2). Grindel's behaviour according to Özil, which is well in line with Grindel's documented behaviour as a politician, cast a horrendous image on him. According to Özil it was Grindel that told him to stay away from the media day for example. Also Özil has complained in the past already, that newspapers would constantly refer to him as German-Turkish while not do the same for people with non-Turkish backgrounds.

DFB really started to embrace people from everywhere and recognized the function the team could have for society from 2004, under Zwanziger. His precedessor was more or less openly racist (Mayer-Vorfelder) and Grindel has shown with his behaviour (even as a politician) that he is not suitable for the role as the DFB president.

Also Özil's sentiment about acceptance is shared by many people with foregin backgrounds in Germany, especially with a Turkish background. Take the Altintop brothers (Die beiden 23-Jährigen, die in dieser Saison gemeinsam für Schalke spielen, fühlen sich in Deutschland als Ausländer, obwohl sie in Gelsenkirchen geboren und aufgewachsen sind. „Man kann es drehen und wenden, wie man will, aber wir bleiben in Deutschland Ausländer. Am Ende, wenn es drauf ankommt, sind wir doch Türken“, sagte Hamit Altintop. Deshalb hätten sich die beiden auch für die türkische Nationalmannschaft entschieden) for example, in fact Özil was only the second player of Turkish origin that played for Germany (ignoring Mehmet Scholl as did not have anything to do with Turkey apart from his name).

btw: how could the Boateng statement be interpreted as "#$% off"? You left out the "abi" in the short translation, and "#$% off, abi" does not make sense.
Kofi,
Nice having you around can mean anything and mostly used here sarcastically.
Boateng is his guy, but if Sammer called a turk Abi or Abibi als Kumple mouths will wage

But it's really strange that you will openly declare that Ozil was only the second Turk to play apart from Memhet Scholl. Mehmet's name actually connects him to Germany as his both parents are Turkish and he took his eventual german step father's surname

Mustafa Dogan though born in Turkey played CD for Germany at senior level. When he played 10 years in the Turkish league he was called 'the Deutsch'

Serda Tasci was born in Germany to both Turkish parents and played 14 times for the German national team with Ozil joining him towards the end of his international stint
megapro 2012:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Uncle Bepanda I was instead defending you for people attacking you wrongly for not buying their same opinion
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

My bad. i misread your message.
Apologies !!!
Bepanda
kajifu wrote:Uncle Bepanda I was instead defending you for people attacking you wrongly for not buying their same opinion
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

bepanda wrote:My bad. i misread your message.
Apologies !!!
Bepanda
kajifu wrote:Uncle Bepanda I was instead defending you for people attacking you wrongly for not buying their same opinion
:clap: :clap:
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Mehmet Scholl was indeed born Yüksel (A Turkish father). His father divorced his mom when he was 5 and she married and took the name Scholl.
Germany used to be quite tough for non-Germans. Because it used to be that you became German by blood.
Bepanda
megapro wrote: Kofi,
Nice having you around can mean anything and mostly used here sarcastically.
Boateng is his guy, but if Sammer called a turk Abi or Abibi als Kumple mouths will wage

But it's really strange that you will openly declare that Ozil was only the second Turk to play apart from Memhet Scholl. Mehmet's name actually connects him to Germany as his both parents are Turkish and he took his eventual german step father's surname

Mustafa Dogan though born in Turkey played CD for Germany at senior level. When he played 10 years in the Turkish league he was called 'the Deutsch'

Serda Tasci was born in Germany to both Turkish parents and played 14 times for the German national team with Ozil joining him towards the end of his international stint
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

I must say the whole thing is a tragedy and I understand why this is making such big waves in Germany. Özil has not played a good WC and he is replaceable with all the talent available. But nevertheless I believe that Özil's refusal of playing for Germany is a huge blow for Germany's attempt of integrating different cultures into our society.
Özil, who has been a key figure of the "integrating turks and others into our society mission", has now turned his back on us.
We are definitely not on the right path right now considering all the problems we have.
What a pity.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Germany has the talent to become world champions again. But unfortunately we have structures in the DFB that are quite familiar to the NFF. Everybody is just trying to rescue its head despite the many mistakes they made. The current personal rescues each other.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Germany to roll out red carpet for Erdogan during state visit in Sept.
https://www.dw.com/en/report-turkeys-er ... a-44860383

What a bunch of hypocrites!
http://www.naijiant.com/
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

cic old boy wrote:Germany to roll out red carpet for Erdogan during state visit in Sept.

Keep exposing them!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

camex wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Germany to roll out red carpet for Erdogan during state visit in Sept.

Keep exposing them!

Na to come ridicule small pikin Ozil naim dem sabi ..
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

What is really strange for me is those who have focused on attacking Ozick and his football. It is indeed very strange. The dude made it clear that he is least concerned about criticism on that aspect.

What he specifically mentioned as a concern is the attack on his heritage. That should be the issue and not attempts to conflate issues with his play.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Enugu II wrote:What is really strange for me is those who have focused on attacking Ozick and his football. It is indeed very strange. The dude made it clear that he is least concerned about criticism on that aspect.

What he specifically mentioned as a concern is the attack on his heritage. That should be the issue and not attempts to conflate issues with his play.
Those looking to conflate the issue are obviously looking to avoid addressing the difficult questions Ozil raises.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

http://kwese.espn.com/football/germany/ ... ackgrounds
#MeTwo: Mesut Ozil supported on social media by Germans from minority backgrounds
play
27 Jul, 2018

Thousands of Germans from ethnic minority backgrounds have shared their experiences of discrimination on social media using the hashtag '#MeTwo, after Mesut Ozil quit the national team saying he faced "racism and disrespect" because of his Turkish roots.

Many greeted Ozil's claims of racism with scepticism, prompting thousands of others to come forward with their own experiences, attempting to highlight a problem that people from majority communities rarely experience.

In a twist on the #MeToo hashtag used in the campaign against sexual harassment, #MeTwo became Twitter's top trending label in Berlin on Thursday as thousands of second-generation immigrants shared experiences of discrimination they suffered in daily life because of their ethnicity.

"Why 'two'? Because I am more than one identity," said Ali Can, a Turkish-German writer and activist, in a Facebook video that launched the campaign.

"I didn't think it would be that many," Can, 24, told Reuters, after the #MeTwo posts exploded on German Twitter, adding that it had needed a big event like Ozil's departure to spark a long-overdue debate on integration in Germany. "It's an opportunity to talk about integration, and what it actually means to be German," he added.

While America is a "melting pot", he said: "Here, it's like a salad bowl: everyone is somehow mixed but next to each other. We hope that we will be a bit more like America."

More than 22 percent of Germany's population have a foreign background but many migrants share Ozil's sentiment of being treated as "German when we win, immigrant when we lose," and that feeling has become stronger since the rise of the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party, Can said.

The AfD has risen in popularity due to concerns about the influx of 1.6 million migrants since mid-2014. Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said the #MeTwo tweets showed racism was a problem.

"It is impressive and painful how many people are speaking out here," Maas tweeted. "We have to realise that it is the flippant talk at work or the despicable gesture in the train that can sometimes be more painful than the blatant slogans of half-naked people with bald heads."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Waffiman wrote:
Enugu II wrote:What is really strange for me is those who have focused on attacking Ozick and his football. It is indeed very strange. The dude made it clear that he is least concerned about criticism on that aspect.

Those looking to conflate the issue are obviously looking to avoid addressing the difficult questions Ozil raises.
Moreover you do not have to be a genius to asked to be treated fairly in your country.