When Naija were Kings - Beautiful documentary 1994 World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
When Naija were Kings - Beautiful documentary 1994 World Cup

Post by AreaDaddy »

Relive the joy and pain of our first World Cup outing. A beautiful documentary that captures why football is the worlds widest followed religion.

[/video]
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
ogasir
Egg
Egg
Re: When Naija were Kings - Beautiful documentary 1994 World

Post by ogasir »

Can we stop hyping the 1994 team? A lot of teams that came after then have equaled what they achieved.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

They may have equalled what they achieved but no one has equalled the promise they showed and the effervescent, swashbuckling football they played. This was a team that could/should have grown into world beaters if only egos and corruption had not derailed their progress.

One thing no subsequent teams have equalled is the Highest ever placing in the FIFA ranking by an African team
YNWA
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

They were trailblazers, going where no-one has dared venture before. They will always be special.
No Escape
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

heavyd wrote:They may have equalled what they achieved but no one has equalled the promise they showed and the effervescent, swashbuckling football they played. This was a team that could/should have grown into world beaters if only egos and corruption had not derailed their progress.

One thing no subsequent teams have equalled is the Highest ever placing in the FIFA ranking by an African team
KPOM
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

ogasir wrote:Can we stop hyping the 1994 team? A lot of teams that came after then have equaled what they achieved.
As a neutral I do not believe that team was overhyped. They deserve credit for going to their first ever WC, playing with flare, beating really good opponents, and losing to a finalist in ET. Look at the junk teams that now go to the WC; Africa produces rubbish teams while WC debutantes are always given a free pass when they perform like crap.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

The Olymic dream team - Yes.

Definitely not the 1994 team which was so full of promise but under delivered.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:
heavyd wrote:They may have equalled what they achieved but no one has equalled the promise they showed and the effervescent, swashbuckling football they played. This was a team that could/should have grown into world beaters if only egos and corruption had not derailed their progress.

KPOM
:clap:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

I pray for the day we get a team that surpasses the 1994 so some people can come unstock from the mid 90's :taunt: ...pesin like Cellulite refused to buy new 9ja jersey for this reason :sleep: :rotf:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

The doc showing 9ja v Argentina just makes my blood boil seeing Austin Eguavon kicking everybody anyhow. So Westhoff with all the years as coach could not find one just one right back instead of fielding that complete and utter wastepipe.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Flex Swift wrote:The doc showing 9ja v Argentina just makes my blood boil seeing Austin Eguavon kicking everybody anyhow. So Westhoff with all the years as coach could not find one just one right back instead of fielding that complete and utter wastepipe.

that man has to be the most well connected player ever to wear a SE shirt. I dislike Oliseh, but I just realized that I will take Oliseh any day over that man.

On another note, the tackle by Nwanu on Diego was a thing of beauty
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

We need to relax with the nostalgia of the past.

I remember the 1994 team well and I remember their strengths (flair, supreme confidence, loaded talent, great attack) and their flaws (arrogance, poor defending, lack of discipline, in-fighting).

While nothing wrong with honoring past heros, You have to be careful to put them on a pedestal while forgetting how hard and how much suffering it took for them to get to their #5 FIFA ranking in 1994. I remember they didn't become a great team overnight, and it took a lot of painful losses and failures to get to where they got eventually, and yet they still underachieved.

Personally, I strongly believe the current team has what it takes to surpass the 1994 team. They are much younger, more organized, disciplined, better defensively, and more committed. Yes they are not as talented as the 1994 team yet, but we are clearly missing key pieces in key spots, especially up front, and we need to build more depth into the team. With a little more consistency and the right kind of stability and support, I believe our current team can achieve more than the 94/96 team.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it