PREMIER LEAGUE- Early Start to the season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

F360
Egg
Egg
PREMIER LEAGUE- Early Start to the season

Post by F360 »

So I know the early start to the season is mainly because of the majority of clubs voting for the transfer window to close prior to the start of the season.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about or knows

1. Why would the Premier League decide to implement this in a World Cup year? (The effect being all those returning late from post wc vacations)

2. Why would the Premier League and the teams/managers think it's a smart idea to close THEIR window before Spain, Germany,etc. close theirs? (The effect being those teams would be free to purchase PL players while the PL teams won't be able to pick up a player to compensate for the loss of a player being sold to one of those other leagues).

3. I can understand small clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth, Everton, Southampton etc. voting for this but how does it benefit Arsenal and Chelsea?

Thx

--------------------------------------------
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PREMIER LEAGUE- Early Start to the season

Post by Kabalega »

F360 wrote:So I know the early start to the season is mainly because of the majority of clubs voting for the transfer window to close prior to the start of the season.

1. Why would the Premier League decide to implement this in a World Cup year? (The effect being all those returning late from post wc vacations)

2. Why would the Premier League and the teams/managers think it's a smart idea to close THEIR window before Spain, Germany,etc. close theirs? (The effect being those teams would be free to purchase PL players while the PL teams won't be able to pick up a player to compensate for the loss of a player being sold to one of those other leagues).

3. I can understand small clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth, Everton, Southampton etc. voting for this but how does it benefit Arsenal and Chelsea?

Thx
This is patently incorrect.
The EPL set the start date for reasons other than the transfer window.

It just so happened that the transfer window closure (buying, selling ends Aug 31st) was approved to end at the start of a season that starts early.

In short, the transfer window had nothing to do with the EPL's scheduling.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Kabalega wrote:
F360 wrote:So I know the early start to the season is mainly because of the majority of clubs voting for the transfer window to close prior to the start of the season.

Thx

It just so happened that the transfer window closure (buying, selling ends Aug 31st) was approved to end at the start of a season that starts early.

Kabalega, thanks for the correction. What were the other reasons for the early start date? I missed when it was announced.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

F360 wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Thx

Kabalega, thanks for the correction. What were the other reasons for the early start date? I missed when it was announced.
1. Money! :D
2. Money. :)
3. Winter break.
4. Congested Euro schedule with the expectation of teams going deep into Euro tourneys.

Starting earlier draws more fan eyeballs to the EPL too while the other leagues are still sleeping.
I could be wrong but ultimately, the EPL is motivated by money.

The early transfer deadline is just to minimize interruptions like Coutinho's protracted transfer last season when he forced a transfer.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Kabalega wrote:
F360 wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Thx

1. Money! :D
2. Money. :)
3. Winter break.
4. Congested Euro schedule with the expectation of teams going deep into Euro tourneys.

Starting earlier draws more fan eyeballs to the EPL too while the other leagues are still sleeping.
I could be wrong but ultimately, the EPL is motivated by money.

The early transfer deadline is just to minimize interruptions like Coutinho's protracted transfer last season when he forced a transfer.

None of that adequately explains other reasons for the early start outside of the move to an early close of the transfer window.

Money- Every league is interested in making more money. Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc.
Winter break- That isn't this season. It starts in 2019/2020, next season.
Congested Euro Schedule- The Euro schedule is no more congested for Prem teams than it was last year or the year before.

The EPL will still draw more fan eyeballs around the world regardless of whether they start earlier than the other top 5 leagues or later than the others. The product speaks for itself.

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Always the second weekend in August. The season started on the 11th last year, the second weekend. This year it starts on the second weekend.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Coach wrote:Always the second weekend in August. The season started on the 11th last year, the second weekend. This year it starts on the second weekend.
Thanks Coach! That makes more sense.

Only problem is that the season doesn't always start on the second weekend in August. The 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons all began on the third weekend in August.
The 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons all began on the second weekend so did something change after the 2014/15 season in which the PL decided to make it official that the league would henceforth commence on the second weekend in August each year?

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Something to do with broadcasting etc etc.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

This is the SUPER-EAGLES Site or Forum. You people need to take this "EPL stuff" to the EPL Site(s) - please.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Odas, is there anything with a bigger following than the EPL in Nigeria?
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Odas wrote:This is the SUPER-EAGLES Site or Forum. You people need to take this "EPL stuff" to the EPL Site(s) - please.
Hmm no talk this for Nigeria like you go dey for trouble.Bars are buying drinks and getting ready for this weekend in Nigeria because of EPL.I know bars you pay 50 naira enter then buy drink again to watch game.Arsenal vs Mancity is a serious game no football fan will miss..