From Russia With Love: My World Cup Photo Documentary

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

abacha
Egg
Egg

Post by abacha »

All,

Hello. On my To-Do-List, I had two things which were football related. One was to watch a live FIFA World Cup match and the other was to watch the great Lionel Messi play in the flesh. When FIFA announced that Russia would host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, I decided that I would skip the competition.

But after Nigeria defeated Zambia in October 2017 to become the first African country to qualify for the World Cup, I made up my mind to go irrespective of what lay ahead for me in Russia. In November 2017, I bought my tickets during the first phase of ticket sales and was allocated tickets to watch all of Nigeria’s group stage matches.

Click the link below to see my photo documentary of my first World Cup experience.

https://bit.ly/2vNvaAq

Happy viewing and feel free to share with your contacts.

Viva Nigeria
Viva Super Eagles.
uiug
abacha
Egg
Egg

Post by abacha »

===

All,

Hello. On my To-Do-List, I had two things which were football related. One was to watch a live FIFA World Cup match and the other was to watch the great Lionel Messi play in the flesh. When FIFA announced that Russia would host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, I decided that I would skip the competition.

But after Nigeria defeated Zambia in October 2017 to become the first African country to qualify for the World Cup, I made up my mind to go irrespective of what lay ahead for me in Russia. In November 2017, I bought my tickets during the first phase of ticket sales and was allocated tickets to watch all of Nigeria’s group stage matches.

Click the link below to see my photo documentary of my first World Cup experience.

Viva Nigeria
Viva Super Eagles.
uiug
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: From Russia With Love: My World Cup Photo Documentary

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

abacha wrote:From Russia With Love: My World Cup Photo Documentary

===

All,

Viva Nigeria
Viva Super Eagles.
Excellent! Glad you had fun. Two comments:

1. Why did you adopt the moniker Abacha?
2. LOL @ 2 hrs of darkness in St. Petersburg. They actually sometimes have white nights.... ask those of us who fasted in Ramadan under those conditions :clap: :clap: :clap:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
JuJuMan
Egg
Egg

Post by JuJuMan »

Awesome pictures :thumb:
Ian Wright- "When Arsene came to Arsenal he took complete control of our diets. We were allowed no salt, no fat and no sugar, in the end you wanted to play a team like Milwall so that someone would throw a banana at you just so you could have something to eat."
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

B E A U R I F U L

Abacha, than you for posting .
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Abacha! Abacha! Abacha!

How many times did I call...bros If you don't move this post to Eagles Nest with automatic alacrity na fight...

Wonderfully written blog and beautiful pictures. Anyway we sabi your work from time :thumbs: :thumbs:
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

These were great. Thanks for sharing.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Nice one man :clap: :clap: :clap:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

abacha wrote:All,

Viva Nigeria
Viva Super Eagles.
Well written! Great article. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Amen
Egg
Egg

Post by Amen »

Well done!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Great picture Sir. Thank you for representing us in Russia. If only more of us could have made the trip. We were the worst supported African team in Russia. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Thanks for sharing. Great photos and well written.

I'm glad you had a great time there just like every other person I met in Russia. I'm also happy to learn you did not experience any racism or poor treatment by the locals. I myself was apprehensive about racism when I visited a few years back but learned much about what we hear about Russia in the west is fake news. I encouraged folks on this website to attend the World Cup but the common refrain here was that Russia was inhospitable to coloured folks. I spent 5 weeks there and just like you was greeted by folks who were more interested in yelling 'Mohamed Salah', asking me where I was from, and asking me about my thoughts of their country than they were in treating me poorly due to my skin colour.

Just as a quick aside, the Argentine fans in Russia were boring compared to the ones in Brazil 2014. My hunch is only the richer folks could attend so they were not as rowdy as the 'common' folks who crossed the border to attend the last World Cup. Nonetheless, the banter between the Argentines and Brazilians was great in Russia, and persisted even until the very end of the tournament. After the semi-final in Saint Petersburg (2 weeks after you were there), the Brazilian fans were outside the stadium chanting their lungs away even though they had already been eliminated (they bought tickets for the match expecting their country to be there)...the Argentine fans then started their own chants just meters away which was hilarious to watch. Stadium security tried to get everyone to leave, and with their limited resources resorted to turning on some sort of siren device and screaming in the bullhorn "Dear football fans, please go home". The party was 24/7 in Russia :thumbs:

While I'm not pleased that Qatar is hosting the next WC, and in fact they should NOT be hosting it, I encourage everyone with the means to be there for the simple fact there is absolutely nothing on the planet like attending the World Cup. Words cannot describe how amazing it is.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Undertaker wrote:Great picture Sir. Thank you for representing us in Russia. If only more of us could have made the trip. We were the worst supported African team in Russia. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Some dudes in here claimed that Nigerians were out in full force in Saint Petersburg :lol: :lol: :lol:

There were way more Egyptians, Tunisians, and Moroccans in Russia than Nigerians. The Senegalese fans were also thin in numbers.
Lager-back
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lager-back »

good stuff
abacha
Egg
Egg

Post by abacha »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
abacha wrote:From Russia With Love: My World Cup Photo Documentary

===

All,

Viva Nigeria
Viva Super Eagles.
Excellent! Glad you had fun. Two comments:

1. Why did you adopt the moniker Abacha?
2. LOL @ 2 hrs of darkness in St. Petersburg. They actually sometimes have white nights.... ask those of us who fasted in Ramadan under those conditions :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks. When I joined I was thinking of a controversial moniker and thought Abacha would be the best bet. I do not and have never condoned his evil deeds.
uiug
abacha
Egg
Egg

Post by abacha »

AreaDaddy wrote:Abacha! Abacha! Abacha!

How many times did I call...bros If you don't move this post to Eagles Nest with automatic alacrity na fight...

Wonderfully written blog and beautiful pictures. Anyway we sabi your work from time :thumbs: :thumbs:
Thanks, Area Daddy
uiug
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

ol boi you try
but messi is ok, won't necessarily use great
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Beautiful story and awesome pictures.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap:

nice story
i miss Brazil :sad:

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

tfco wrote::clap:

nice story
i miss Brazil :sad:

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o
What does DNA mean...Did Not Attend?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Great stuff Bro :clap: :clap:

Pity we couldn't meet up in Russia

Those guys at Volgograd airport on the way to Russia are my guys!
I stayed with them a few days in Moscow.
YNWA
abacha
Egg
Egg

Post by abacha »

heavyd wrote:Great stuff Bro :clap: :clap:

Pity we couldn't meet up in Russia

Those guys at Volgograd airport on the way to Russia are my guys!
I stayed with them a few days in Moscow.
Really?
uiug
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Give this man some accolades.
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle