Liverpool 2018/19 season + Game Threads

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool 2018/19 season + Game Threads

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
heavyd wrote:Guys i know we had a great season... put in a massive effort playing scintillating football along the way but if we have to be honest we need to say we bottled it in the end. We had many chances to see City off but couldnt do it. We are the only team who has led the table in January and not won the title... and this has now happened 3 times. Its a failure however you want to look at it. The consolation is the Champions league final. We HAVE to win it. IF we dont then we probably wont win anything under Klopp.
When you don't win you failed. Period. However to say we bottled it is simply incorrect.

In the end City proved the stronger team over the full stretch and had the deeper squad to see it through, in a contest of very fine margins.
Sorry my brother but the depth of the squad had nothing to do with it. When you blow a 7 point cushion (or 'pillow' as José called it), that, my friend, is the definition of a bottle job. Liverpool and Klopp only have themselves to blame. And my preference was Liverpool over City.
Bro, I have noticed one big difference between you and most Cybereagles posters. The issue here is that you have supported a club that has hired winners over and over and over again, so you KNOW what it takes to win. You know what winning is all about. Unfortunately, many of these folks do not.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Man C and Pẹpẹ say NO.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
ohsee wrote:Yes, Liverpool put City under pressure, et cetera. But some of us are trying very hard to ignore a fundamental problem, something that happened many times to Arsenal during those glory years when they were battling with Man United for the title. When City lost games, Liverpool could not take advantage, and just kept dropping points. How is it that a team that lost four games beat one that lost only one? There is a problem here that no one wants to address.
Liverpool's 7 draws...

But that's nit-picking...Liverpool couldn't really do much more than they did...

To beat this Man City, Liverpool had to amass a minimum 99pts...that's two points less than the 101pts Man City amassed in 2017/18 which nobody thought was likely to be repeated again...

Reason Guardiola says this is his hardest title win...Man City needed to be 'perfect' to achieve it...A stupendous 14 game winning run is as close to 'perfect' as could be in the EPL...

I wager if Man City sustain their form, and amass a points total close to 98pts in 2019/20 they win the title again...nothing any other club can do about it...
That's how good this Guardiola's side is...
Oga FADA TIKO, Liverpool just needed to win ONE of those 7 games they drew. What is so hard and nitpicking about that? They did an Arsenal. They seized defeat out of the jaws of victory: When Pool could have buried City after City lost two games in a row--winning those two games would have made the rest of the season academic--Liverpool just kept drawing games. This needs to be mentioned. City did not really win the title; Liverpool lost it. And I hope Klopp makes this point to his players.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
ohsee wrote:Yes, Liverpool put City under pressure, et cetera. But some of us are trying very hard to ignore a fundamental problem, something that happened many times to Arsenal during those glory years when they were battling with Man United for the title. When City lost games, Liverpool could not take advantage, and just kept dropping points. How is it that a team that lost four games beat one that lost only one? There is a problem here that no one wants to address.
Liverpool's 7 draws...

But that's nit-picking...Liverpool couldn't really do much more than they did...

To beat this Man City, Liverpool had to amass a minimum 99pts...that's two points less than the 101pts Man City amassed in 2017/18 which nobody thought was likely to be repeated again...

Reason Guardiola says this is his hardest title win...Man City needed to be 'perfect' to achieve it...A stupendous 14 game winning run is as close to 'perfect' as could be in the EPL...

I wager if Man City sustain their form, and amass a points total close to 98pts in 2019/20 they win the title again...nothing any other club can do about it...
Oga FADA TIKO, Liverpool just needed to win ONE of those 7 games they drew. What is so hard and nitpicking about that? They did an Arsenal. They seized defeat out of the jaws of victory: When Pool could have buried City after City lost two games in a row--winning those two games would have made the rest of the season academic--Liverpool just kept drawing games. This needs to be mentioned. City did not really win the title; Liverpool lost it. And I hope Klopp makes this point to his players.
People think that because they only lost one game and ended with 97 points, it means they didn't choke. Choking is choking, regardless of how "well" they did.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Liverpool was all flair. In the end, they didn't have what was needed to cross the finish line.
They choked. I knew they would.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

tfco wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:
Reason #2 why i wanted them to loose

#UpGuardiola

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Liverpool's 7 draws...

The highlighted is debatable. City had no more margin for error, and they executed. Your fairies at Arsenal fit do that?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Liverpool's 7 draws...

Oga Ohsee, 'winning' one of the 7 drawn games is analyzing by benefit of hindsight...

In a season, you may 'win' points you may have 'lost' and 'lose' points you may have 'won'; the bottom-line is your total points at the end...

City lost 4 games and still accumulated 98pts...(2 pts less than total last season)

Go ahead and tell me, anytime during the season, you tipped Liverpool to amass 99 pts total...

Klopp's impossible target in 2019/20 must be 100pts...that's the only way Liverpool (or any other club)has any chance of potentially 'not losing' the title to MCity in 2019/20...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Liverpool's 7 draws...

The highlighted is debatable. City had no more margin for error, and they executed. Your fairies at Arsenal fit do that?
:rotf: :rotf:

Actually, Uncle you are being nice to Pa Ohsee. This is NOT debatable. CITY WON THE TITLE! That is a fact. All that semantics of "City did not really win the title." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Abeg no make me laugh! :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

balo wrote:Liverpool was all flair. In the end, they didn't have what was needed to cross the finish line.
They choked. I knew they would.
Don't be a simpleton. You're better than that.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Liverpool's 7 draws...

:rotf:
Chief Ogbus, but that's the point. We always knew that the "fairies" at Arsenal would screw it up. Go back and read the threads when City surprisingly lost those three games in December or thereabouts. Everyone, including me, thought that this was Liverpool's chance to bury City. Wetin happen? Liverpool let them get back in front. If you want to win the league, your destiny must remain firmly in your hands--it is an almost unshakeable law. You can't be depending on Brighton to win the league for you. This is what the "fairies" of Arsenal used to do unsuccessfully against Sir Alex's Man United.

By the way, Liverpool also had no margin for error, and they also executed down the stretch. They only lost one game. But they lost the league title in that key stretch where they could not capitalize on City's losses. Pool basically lost its nerve when it mattered. :idea:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Liverpool's 7 draws...

Oga Ohsee, 'winning' one of the 7 drawn games is analyzing by benefit of hindsight...

In a season, you may 'win' points you may have 'lost' and 'lose' points you may have 'won'; the bottom-line is your total points at the end...

City lost 4 games and still accumulated 98pts...(2 pts less than total last season)

Go ahead and tell me, anytime during the season, you tipped Liverpool to amass 99 pts total...

Klopp's impossible target in 2019/20 must be 100pts...that's the only way Liverpool (or any other club)has any chance of potentially 'not losing' the title to MCity in 2019/20...
FATHER TIKO, no be hindsight oh. I believe several people said it when it happened. City is not the kind of team you let off the hook. They should have been the ones depending on Brighton to win the league for them if Pool had executed in that key stretch, and beaten teams they should have beaten. For the future, if Pool wish to win anything, they need to remember this: In any important struggle, you MUST capitalize when your opponent stumbles, because you might never have another chance. You must have that killer instinct.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
ohsee wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Liverpool's 7 draws...

FATHER TIKO, no be hindsight oh. I believe several people said it when it happened. City is not the kind of team you let off the hook. They should have been the ones depending on Brighton to win the league for them if Pool had executed in that key stretch, and beaten teams they should have beaten. For the future, if Pool wish to win anything, they need to remember this: In any important struggle, you MUST capitalize when your opponent stumbles, because you might never have another chance. You must have that killer instinct.
Oga Ohsee, but the fact still remains that MCity amassed 98pts irrespective of whether Liverpool capitalised on City's stumble or not...

Liverpool needed 99pts to win the league this season...By amassing 97pts, they couldn't have done much more than they did...

Your point about Liverpool's "lack of killer instinct" would only count if MCity had fallen to a 'normal' points total of, say, 80+pts and still won the league...

A more vital factor might be Liverpool's loss at Etihad in January; but that's being harsh...that would mean going unbeaten a whole season, which isn't a 'deliverable target' in any season to win the title...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Oga Ohsee, but the fact still remains that MCity amassed 98pts irrespective of whether Liverpool capitalised on City's stumble or not...

Liverpool needed 99pts to win the league this season...By amassing 97pts, they couldn't have done much more than they did...
Yes, Chief, no doubt, City were relentless down the stretch, as we expected them to be. I think you are missing the point, which is that when you surprisingly encounter a formidable enemy machine that has broken down on the road, and you do not stop to finish it off, you are making a huge mistake that could come back to bite you in the arse.

Your claim that 97 points is the limit of what Pool could do is very shaky given that they just did the "impossible" when they had to. So they could beat a rested Barcelona 4:0 with their B team (OK, "B" forward line), but could not beat ONE kwia-kwia Premier League team to keep their destiny in their hands? I don't buy it. I hope the team learns from this, that's all.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
heavyd wrote:Guys i know we had a great season... put in a massive effort playing scintillating football along the way but if we have to be honest we need to say we bottled it in the end. We had many chances to see City off but couldnt do it. We are the only team who has led the table in January and not won the title... and this has now happened 3 times. Its a failure however you want to look at it. The consolation is the Champions league final. We HAVE to win it. IF we dont then we probably wont win anything under Klopp.
When you don't win you failed. Period. However to say we bottled it is simply incorrect.

In the end City proved the stronger team over the full stretch and had the deeper squad to see it through, in a contest of very fine margins.
Sorry my brother but the depth of the squad had nothing to do with it. When you blow a 7 point cushion (or 'pillow' as José called it), that, my friend, is the definition of a bottle job. Liverpool and Klopp only have themselves to blame. And my preference was Liverpool over City.
Of course JK and LFC have themselves to blame; they did not get the job done ultimately.

But its not a bottle job. That's just lazy analysis...None of the two teams could've won all their games; its just not possible...

City dropped points when they lost those games, as did LFC when they drew all those games. But over the course of the campaign, City proved to last longer...

They lasted longer b/c in part they had the depth of quality to do so. Is that an excuse? Absolutely not!

LFC lost and City won; period!
Its not lazy analysis bro. If we hadnt had such a healthy lead at some point and not capitalised on it i wouldnt call it a bottle job. But essentially thats exactly what it is.

At the end of the day we had the destiny of winning the title in our hands but we threw it away. If City had lost or drawn one of their last few games and we had overtaken them it would have been said that they caved in to the pressure we put them under (i.e bottled it).

Because of how close the final points tally was there is no shame in losing this title but if we are being true to ourselves we had the quality but not the nerve to see it through which is very disappointing.
YNWA
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

losers :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I am sure that Liverpool fans are up in arms about being called bottlers. IMHO it is unfair to call them bottlers. Would anyone say Nigeria bottled it in 1994 versus Italy? This simplification of bottling if you are the loser in a 'only one can win' doesn't take in consideration the additional factors that affect football teams.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

just 1 point between them! probably the united draw cost them the title, if they got all 3 points, they would be winners today! City came to united and got all 3 points
Thats the difference, bottlers? far from it, they performed incredibly well and are in the champions league final for a consecutive season

Champions of Europe or local champions? you choose??
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Cristao II wrote:I am sure that Liverpool fans are up in arms about being called bottlers. IMHO it is unfair to call them bottlers. Would anyone say Nigeria bottled it in 1994 versus Italy? This simplification of bottling if you are the loser in a 'only one can win' doesn't take in consideration the additional factors that affect football teams.
Chief, Pool were able to beat Leicester away, but not able to beat them at home? I suggest complacency when you are leading City by 4 points, or that feeling of, "Oh, we have wiggle room, we can afford to take the foot off the pedal a bit and relax". You forget that City is that nightmarish and unkillable monster that just never lets up until you falter and it catches you. You can't slow down and rest a bit when they are around. The key is to learn from this. Winning teams learn how to win. It took City and Pep one season to figure out what it takes to win in the EPL.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Well played, Liverpool FC. Congratulations.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

heavyd wrote:
txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:

Of course JK and LFC have themselves to blame; they did not get the job done ultimately.

But its not a bottle job. That's just lazy analysis...None of the two teams could've won all their games; its just not possible...

City dropped points when they lost those games, as did LFC when they drew all those games. But over the course of the campaign, City proved to last longer...

They lasted longer b/c in part they had the depth of quality to do so. Is that an excuse? Absolutely not!

LFC lost and City won; period!
Its not lazy analysis bro. If we hadnt had such a healthy lead at some point and not capitalised on it i wouldnt call it a bottle job. But essentially thats exactly what it is.

At the end of the day we had the destiny of winning the title in our hands but we threw it away. If City had lost or drawn one of their last few games and we had overtaken them it would have been said that they caved in to the pressure we put them under (i.e bottled it).

Because of how close the final points tally was there is no shame in losing this title but if we are being true to ourselves we had the quality but not the nerve to see it through which is very disappointing.

A league campaign is a marathon. Just b/c one gets ahead early-on does not mean you can sustain the lead. Neither does losing that lead automatically mean you bottled it.

Yes, if City lost one of their last few games they would've caved under pressure. Ditto for Liverpool. But none of them did...

Look back to the drawn games and analyze them. Did they draw from being nervous; from caving or bottling?

Its lazy analysis...one has to do better than simply throttle out cliches!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

ohsee wrote:
Cristao II wrote:I am sure that Liverpool fans are up in arms about being called bottlers. IMHO it is unfair to call them bottlers. Would anyone say Nigeria bottled it in 1994 versus Italy? This simplification of bottling if you are the loser in a 'only one can win' doesn't take in consideration the additional factors that affect football teams.
Chief, Pool were able to beat Leicester away, but not able to beat them at home? I suggest complacency when you are leading City by 4 points, or that feeling of, "Oh, we have wiggle room, we can afford to take the foot off the pedal a bit and relax". You forget that City is that nightmarish and unkillable monster that just never lets up until you falter and it catches you. You can't slow down and rest a bit when they are around. The key is to learn from this. Winning teams learn how to win. It took City and Pep one season to figure out what it takes to win in the EPL.
Its not complacency bro. I don't think any Klopp team can be accused of that. They were simply caught out on the day, vs Leicester.

But for me, I think they could've pushed harder in some of those drawn games. And if I was to speculate, I would say that Klopp did not push harder in those games cus he expected more opposition to City esp from United and Burnley...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

ohsee wrote:
One season or an additional spend on extra squad players. Credit to Pep but let's not forget the effect of money.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8