PETER RUFAI: On Ezenwa v Uzoho. . .

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PETER RUFAI: On Ezenwa v Uzoho. . .

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote:
Uzoho not in Ezenwa’s class, says Rufai
ON AUGUST 9, 20184:20 AMIN SPORTS0 COMMENTS Ezenwa-Uzoho
By Jacob Ajom

Peter Rufai who kept for Nigeria at the 1994 and 1998 World Cup tournaments gave his verdict on goalkeepers Francis Uzoho and Ikechukwu Ezenwa, coach Gernot Rohr’s first and second choice goalkeepers for the national team. Reviewing Uzoho’s performance at the World Cup in Russia, Rufai said the young man did his best and for his age, he could be excused for some of the mistakes he made in the course of the tournament. “Uzoho tried, but if you ask me to choose between him and Ezenwa, I will go for Ezenwa,” Rufai said.

He observed that Uzoho did not have the finesse of a great goalkeeper and was still raw. He said the mistakes the goalkeeper made did not result in goals that was why his defects were not too conspicuous to the ordinary fan.

“What you look out for in a goalkeeper is his ability to be ‘clean’. By this I mean his movement, the way he does his catches, how he parries the ball and general technicalities required of a goalkeeper. “This is where Ezenwa has an edge over him. Ezenwa’s movement in the goal line, his commanding presence and how he organises his back four was what we missed at the World Cup in Russia. He is a natural goalkeeper.”

Rufai said Uzoho had every opportunity to shine. “He got the coach’s backing and was primed for greatness. If Ezenwa got the same kind of support, I am sure we would have been talking of something else by now.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/uzo ... ays-rufai/
I said the same thing before the World Cup and people were abusing me and now, an unquestionable expert is saying it. He talked about goalkeepers’ movements which I completely agree with. Uzoho does not react well to ground balls. That Etebo own goal exposed his amateurishness big time. Given the movement of the ball, he should have been closer to the right goalpost. Instead, he was rooted to the center of the goalpost. Yes, he made saves but his main job was to keep out the goals, which he didn’t :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote:
oloye wrote:People need to get a job seriously. Uzoho conceeded goals any normal keeper would concede. When people start doing the iffy business, it is the first sign of joblessness. There is a reason the coaches favored Uzoho, i spoke at length with Alloy Agu on this, and he explained the position of the coaches. Rufai is entitled to his opinion, just as any fan or person with football view. But such view must learn to respect those who make the decisions, because those who do are with these players every day and have all the details needed to make the right decision.

Uzoho still has a lot of development to do, but i can wager my bet on who we will be talking about in the next 3-4 years career progression wise! I wish Ezenwa well, he impressed me with his display during the qualifiers, but i wont call him better than Uzoho in anyway, both are probably in the same category. But one thing which Uzoho brought to the keepers department is the ability to mop up balls in the air, even Rufai at his height was a flapping bird when the ball comes flying across the box.

The two are currently the best we have, i may say that perhaps the other keepers should have been given a chance too especially in the build up to the World cup especially when it comes to the friendlies. But i want to believe that the handlers identified height as an issue with Ezenwa and were not convinced , hence the desperation to get Uzoho up to speed.

Uzoho did not disappoint, he did above what was expected, nevertheless like any other player , he there is still room for improvement, but he did what he needed to do. We should be looking at ways of building upon what he has done, not putting some cheap divisive article in the newspaper.

What else, claim that the coaches probably collected bribe to field him above Ezenwa, looks like the typical naija mentality is never satisfied until he tears a building down.

oloye, I'M IN GENERAL AGREEMENT WITH YOU

I'm not sure what people are thinking when they suggest that Ezenwa could be better than Uzoho. If it's going on a limb so let it be but I think Uzoho will man Nigeria's post (or at least be a constant presence for the SE) for a long time to come. And I'll say it here, there are not too many keepers in the world that would have extended Nigeria's stay in Russia. Uzoho may not have been the savior, but he definitely wasn't the problem.
Bell
Bell, you also think that the incompetent Pinnick is the next best thing since sliced bread :tic: :!:

Cheers.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote:
green4life wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
nanijoe wrote:@mace04, so which world class goalkeeper did you have in mind to replace Uzoho?
My stance had been clear before the WC, that others should have been given a chance to stake a claim. If Uzoho beats them all out then we have to accept the coaches choice that he was the best, but the refusal to look further than Uzoho to me wasn't the best decision.
My guy, please name the other better gk options that were overlooked.
How can we know if they were never given a chance?
Who else are you alluding to other than those who went? We’ve seen enough of ezenwa and akpeyi so I doubt that’s who you’re clamoring for. Nevertheless, the gk department wasn’t our downfall in Russia.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Just rewatched our final qualifier against Algeria in Algiers. I think that game seal Ezenwa's fate. Ezenwa gifted Algeria at least 3 CLEAR CHANCES, but for their poor finishing we would have lost a match which we were not really tested by a big scoreline. I remember a simple cross which he dropped on the Algerian attackers head, totally unforced, which was terrible.

Also a cross that Slimani missed in front of a open goal because he assumed the Goal keeper had it but it slipped right past Ezenwa. Coupled with the needless penalty away against Cameroun. You guys should also remember he conceeded 4 silly goals in the WAFU final and should have also caused a penalty in that match by diving out leg first. I believe Rohr was between a rock and a hard place and decided on the lesser evil.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Adisboy wrote:Just rewatched our final qualifier against Algeria in Algiers. I think that game seal Ezenwa's fate. Ezenwa gifted Algeria at least 3 CLEAR CHANCES, but for their poor finishing we would have lost a match which we were not really tested by a big scoreline. I remember a simple cross which he dropped on the Algerian attackers head, totally unforced, which was terrible.

Also a cross that Slimani missed in front of a open goal because he assumed the Goal keeper had it but it slipped right past Ezenwa. Coupled with the needless penalty away against Cameroun. You guys should also remember he conceeded 4 silly goals in the WAFU final and should have also caused a penalty in that match by diving out leg first. I believe Rohr was between a rock and a hard place and decided on the lesser evil.
and in your world this is supposed to finally seal the deal & put to rest any talk of Uzoho and Rohr ruing our world cup; oh! and while at it watch the other games where he saved our nyash too
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
oloye wrote:People need to get a job seriously. Uzoho conceeded goals any normal keeper would concede. When people start doing the iffy business, it is the first sign of joblessness. There is a reason the coaches favored Uzoho, i spoke at length with Alloy Agu on this, and he explained the position of the coaches. Rufai is entitled to his opinion, just as any fan or person with football view. But such view must learn to respect those who make the decisions, because those who do are with these players every day and have all the details needed to make the right decision.

Uzoho still has a lot of development to do, but i can wager my bet on who we will be talking about in the next 3-4 years career progression wise! I wish Ezenwa well, he impressed me with his display during the qualifiers, but i wont call him better than Uzoho in anyway, both are probably in the same category. But one thing which Uzoho brought to the keepers department is the ability to mop up balls in the air, even Rufai at his height was a flapping bird when the ball comes flying across the box.

The two are currently the best we have, i may say that perhaps the other keepers should have been given a chance too especially in the build up to the World cup especially when it comes to the friendlies. But i want to believe that the handlers identified height as an issue with Ezenwa and were not convinced , hence the desperation to get Uzoho up to speed.

Uzoho did not disappoint, he did above what was expected, nevertheless like any other player , he there is still room for improvement, but he did what he needed to do. We should be looking at ways of building upon what he has done, not putting some cheap divisive article in the newspaper.

What else, claim that the coaches probably collected bribe to field him above Ezenwa, looks like the typical naija mentality is never satisfied until he tears a building down.
Oloye, why do you like taking contradictory positions on similar issues? Why does your rhetoric regarding Uzoho not apply to other players who you criticized vigorously in spite of their support by the coaches? This is a display of double standards. During the run up to the World Cup, Uzoho conceded a ton of goals. How many goals did Ezenwa conceed during the qualifiers? If you can answer that question honestly and without bias then it will be clear that Uzoho did not deserve to be our #1 at the World Cup. The honest truth is that Nigeria failed to get out of the first round because the team’s overall chemistry was disrupted by the employment of Uzoho, Idowu, Ebuehi and Etebo as the main contributors for whatever reason :!:

Cheers.
I don't know the double standards you are talking about here. Go read my position on Ezenwa..when people were shouting for Enyeama to be brought back from the dead

I have not given any opinion on both keepers,I have simply backed the position of the people who handle these players. I don't think it is fair hurling that abuse of double standards in my direction, I have only stated that the people who made the decision should be respected.

Like I said I had a very good discussion with Alloy the trainer,not once but twice, I respect his position ,he is the only one who can make a valid call on who is better,not me not my opinion.

Everything I stated in my write up was to highlight the position of the handlers,not my opinion ...so where is this double standard thingy coming from? I stated clearly that I do not see much difference between the two..so what is the double standard here?

Abeg my brother na because of the respect wey I get for you, I am not happy with this labelling of my person....biko!

I am not giving Uzoho any pass mark,like I said Uzoho did exactly what was expected of him. Put Ezenwa in goal my position would be the same,unless he fails to stop a shot he should be stopping routinely.

But when striker who has played at the EPL misses a sitter ,I will call such out, especially when such are supposed to be the leaders in the team.

When someone like Moses falls asleep on his defensive duty having played at the highest level,I will call such out,because to whom much is given much is expected.

Let me put it bluntly, I see no difference between Uzoho and Ezenwa, none of them is a world class...but the coaches went for his aerial ability and advantage. That was what Alloy told me, and the fact that he was more calmer of the lot in camp. The two goalkeeper s trainers cannot be wrong while me outside I am right...something is wrong in that line of reasoning.

Strangely enough those crying wolf here all wrote Ezenwa off ,with many saying we would ship goals if he is goal,as far as they were concerned it is either Enyeama or we should stay at home.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

What I even find amusing with all these brouhaha is the double speak on the side of many. TTK go and find the thread when we played Argentina in the friendly , read what was said about Uzoho,how the fans now shouting gave him the number one jersey after 45 mins .....you will see the double standards you are looking for there :lol:

Fans and the people on the sideline appear to be the only one who can cry wolf today and with benefit of hindsight change their position and still maintain a position of knowing more than those coaching the team...who unfortunately do not have the benefit of hindsight. :lol:

Dont be shy and biko dont be too busy....just look for the threads leading to the World cup....you will find this thread equally appalling! :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

maceo4 wrote:

What else claim that the coaches probably collected bribe to field him above Ezenwa, looks like the typical naija mentality is never complete until he tears a building down.
I agree for the most part with this at least he didn't 'spoil ball' sentiment. But this is also why our team was so disappointing. Majority of our players were at a world cup (where you are suppose to show case your talent) playing not to 'spoil ball'. World Cup is where you showcase your class players, the ones with IQ's, ability, drive that's above average. But not a single one of our players had that bit of genius to be decisive (aside from Musa against below average opponents), or had the necessary cutting edge to show they were good enough to be at this level. In Uzoho's case you could look at the the Messi goal which you can't necessarily blame him for, but a more elite goalie might have saved as we saw the likes of Courtois continuously do for his team.

Throughout the tournament, Musa and maybe Etebo were the only ones that had some self belief to try things and not just only give the simplest most obvious pass. I remember Musa trying to execute a simple give and go with Kelechi (similar to the one he did with Emenike against the same Argentina leading to his second goal in 2014), and Kelechi didn't even have the composure to release the ball on time instead delayed and got his pass blocked. What was worse was how sorely lacking in ability our players looked when they did try the more intricate skills like incisive long passes with the likes of Ndidi, Omeruo showing just how poor these parts of their game are with woeful attempts at long or cross field passes. Then let me not talk of Idowu, such a limited player who can't even take the space ahead of him to try anything positive, but rather looks to offload the hot potato to the nearest person he can find even with acres of space ahead of him.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but you are right Uzoho didn't 'spoil game', but he also didn't put his stamp on our games either or show that he was a special or elite level player/prospect. Its probably why he's back to another season of division 3 ball.
KPOM 10X
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

oscar52 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

What else claim that the coaches probably collected bribe to field him above Ezenwa, looks like the typical naija mentality is never complete until he tears a building down.
I agree for the most part with this at least he didn't 'spoil ball' sentiment. But this is also why our team was so disappointing. Majority of our players were at a world cup (where you are suppose to show case your talent) playing not to 'spoil ball'. World Cup is where you showcase your class players, the ones with IQ's, ability, drive that's above average. But not a single one of our players had that bit of genius to be decisive (aside from Musa against below average opponents), or had the necessary cutting edge to show they were good enough to be at this level. In Uzoho's case you could look at the the Messi goal which you can't necessarily blame him for, but a more elite goalie might have saved as we saw the likes of Courtois continuously do for his team.

Throughout the tournament, Musa and maybe Etebo were the only ones that had some self belief to try things and not just only give the simplest most obvious pass. I remember Musa trying to execute a simple give and go with Kelechi (similar to the one he did with Emenike against the same Argentina leading to his second goal in 2014), and Kelechi didn't even have the composure to release the ball on time instead delayed and got his pass blocked. What was worse was how sorely lacking in ability our players looked when they did try the more intricate skills like incisive long passes with the likes of Ndidi, Omeruo showing just how poor these parts of their game are with woeful attempts at long or cross field passes. Then let me not talk of Idowu, such a limited player who can't even take the space ahead of him to try anything positive, but rather looks to offload the hot potato to the nearest person he can find even with acres of space ahead of him.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but you are right Uzoho didn't 'spoil game', but he also didn't put his stamp on our games either or show that he was a special or elite level player/prospect. Its probably why he's back to another season of division 3 ball.
KPOM 10X
oscar52, you've summarized our players' performance at the World Cup in one paragraph! :clap:
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:What I even find amusing with all these brouhaha is the double speak on the side of many. TTK go and find the thread when we played Argentina in the friendly , read what was said about Uzoho,how the fans now shouting gave him the number one jersey after 45 mins .....you will see the double standards you are looking for there :lol:

Fans and the people on the sideline appear to be the only one who can cry wolf today and with benefit of hindsight change their position and still maintain a position of knowing more than those coaching the team...who unfortunately do not have the benefit of hindsight. :lol:

Dont be shy and biko dont be too busy....just look for the threads leading to the World cup....you will find this thread equally appalling! :lol:

I thought Akpeyi was the better goalkeeper despite his handling the ball outside the 18. Uzoho made all the safe bet saves when he came in, but Akpeyi made several key difficult saves in the first half of that game.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

1naija wrote:
oloye wrote:What I even find amusing with all these brouhaha is the double speak on the side of many. TTK go and find the thread when we played Argentina in the friendly , read what was said about Uzoho,how the fans now shouting gave him the number one jersey after 45 mins .....you will see the double standards you are looking for there :lol:

I thought Akpeyi was the better goalkeeper despite his handling the ball outside the 18. Uzoho made all the safe bet saves when he came in, but Akpeyi made several key difficult saves in the first half of that game.
You need to go and read about what was said about Akpeyi on that thread :lol:

That is why I made the thread a reference point to all the people now making a U turn by questioning Uzoho. So that people can see clearly the people with double standards.

If the coaches had gone with either of those two, we all know what the revisionist would be saying. Some questioned by Akpeyi was in camp, now they are saying he should have been given a chance.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:
1naija wrote:

You need to go and read about what was said about Akpeyi on that thread :lol:

That is why I made the thread a reference point to all the people now making a U turn by questioning Uzoho. So that people can see clearly the people with double standards.

If the coaches had gone with either of those two, we all know what the revisionist would be saying. Some questioned by Akpeyi was in camp, now they are saying he should have been given a chance.
Here is what I said after the game.

Akpeyi:

Akpeyi was very good and made 3 key point blank saves. His positioning also forced Argentina forwards to shoot from impossible angles which is something no one has mentioned here. He made the blunder that led to the goal, but outside of Carl making a full recovery and regaining his pre-illnesss form, I see Akpeyi making the team as one of our 3 goalkeepers. FACT not FEELINGS!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284513&hilit=Akpeyi
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

@maceo4
@oscar52
@Obong

There is a subtle but deliberate lowering of standards for the national team.... When you read things like ' (no) spoil game'.

Did you pick the player and say to him no spoil game or you had little expectations of the players, so your defence is he no 'Spoil Game'.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

I have not and will never lower standards for the national team. Perhaps, Rohr is. Otherwise, he would have taken a few more qualified players to the World Cup rather than being sentimental about his "family" that qualified him for the World Cup. It points to that fact when you realize that Onazi, Joel Obi, Ogu, Echiejilie, Awaziem, Nwankwo, Ebuehi, Ezenwa, Akpeyi, and even Iwobi had zero or limited minutes even when the situations and matches required changes and alternate strategies. I will not blame Uzoho for what he did or failed to do at the World Cup. What would one expect from a 19 year old playing in the Spanish 3rd division with a rushed, but limited international experience? He acquitted himself well given the circumstances.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote:
Cmoke wrote:Campaign after election!

How soon we forget all the goals Uzoho saved
lets tell the truth and shame the devil; ezenwa would have stop that messi cheap goal and the 86th minute goal. his reflexes are space age compared to uzohos
Uzoho might improve as he gains more experience or so, but I think Chief Rufai is correct in his opinion of Uzoho.
Last edited by Odas on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

theYemster wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Cmoke wrote:Campaign after election!

How soon we forget all the goals Uzoho saved
lets tell the truth and shame the devil; ezenwa would have stop that messi cheap goal and the 86th minute goal. his reflexes are space age compared to uzohos
It's possible, but since we're dealing in hypotheticals then it's also conceivable that Ezenwa might've conceded some other girls that Uzoho saved.
how is this football related? :winking:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ezenwa on the bench for Enyimba in their crucial African Cup match away to Djoliba in Mali.
Theopilus Afelokhai was in goal and posted a MOTM performance as the People's Elephant won the away match 1-0.
I am happy
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Dammy wrote:Ezenwa on the bench for Enyimba in their crucial African Cup match away to Djoliba in Mali.
Theopilus Afelokhai was in goal and posted a MOTM performance as the People's Elephant won the away match 1-0.
I'm really worried about Ezenwa. He's being benched at Enyimba by Afelokhai and the Ghanaian, Dauda, and this has largely been the trend since he joined the team last year. What then, is the justification for his continued invitation to the national team? I bet he'll be one of the players on the list that will be released shortly for the Seychelles/Libya matches.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

They are both below average to be fair but at least Uzoho is young,the real problem is the lack of productivity coming out of Nigeria,everything about Nigeria reeks of neglect!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI