PETER RUFAI: On Ezenwa v Uzoho. . .

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
PETER RUFAI: On Ezenwa v Uzoho. . .

Post by Enugu II »

Uzoho not in Ezenwa’s class, says Rufai
ON AUGUST 9, 20184:20 AMIN SPORTS0 COMMENTS Ezenwa-Uzoho
By Jacob Ajom

Peter Rufai who kept for Nigeria at the 1994 and 1998 World Cup tournaments gave his verdict on goalkeepers Francis Uzoho and Ikechukwu Ezenwa, coach Gernot Rohr’s first and second choice goalkeepers for the national team. Reviewing Uzoho’s performance at the World Cup in Russia, Rufai said the young man did his best and for his age, he could be excused for some of the mistakes he made in the course of the tournament. “Uzoho tried, but if you ask me to choose between him and Ezenwa, I will go for Ezenwa,” Rufai said.

He observed that Uzoho did not have the finesse of a great goalkeeper and was still raw. He said the mistakes the goalkeeper made did not result in goals that was why his defects were not too conspicuous to the ordinary fan.

“What you look out for in a goalkeeper is his ability to be ‘clean’. By this I mean his movement, the way he does his catches, how he parries the ball and general technicalities required of a goalkeeper. “This is where Ezenwa has an edge over him. Ezenwa’s movement in the goal line, his commanding presence and how he organises his back four was what we missed at the World Cup in Russia. He is a natural goalkeeper.”

Rufai said Uzoho had every opportunity to shine. “He got the coach’s backing and was primed for greatness. If Ezenwa got the same kind of support, I am sure we would have been talking of something else by now.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/uzo ... ays-rufai/
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PETER RUFAI: On Ezenwa v Uzoho. . .

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We should also note that Rufai has problems with his left eye lately. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

BTW, how old is Rufai?
His movement at the 1998 world cup was like a 50 year-old
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Campaign after election!

How soon we forget all the goals Uzoho saved
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Cmoke wrote:Campaign after election!

lets tell the truth and shame the devil; ezenwa would have stop that messi cheap goal and the 86th minute goal. his reflexes are space age compared to uzohos
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

jette1 wrote:

lets tell the truth and shame the devil; ezenwa would have stop that messi cheap goal and the 86th minute goal. his reflexes are space age compared to uzohos
It's possible, but since we're dealing in hypotheticals then it's also conceivable that Ezenwa might've conceded some other girls that Uzoho saved.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

theYemster wrote:
jette1 wrote:

It's possible, but since we're dealing in hypotheticals then it's also conceivable that Ezenwa might've conceded some other girls that Uzoho saved.
What's on your mind this morning? Abeg bring it back to football :tic: :sneaky:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Uzoho is not good enough for this level.....

Playing in the 3rd division (of course Pinnick mindset, anything abroad is better than anything in Nigeria).
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

pajimoh wrote:
theYemster wrote:
jette1 wrote:

What's on your mind this morning? Abeg bring it back to football :tic: :sneaky:
:D
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

fabio wrote:Uzoho is not good enough for this level.....

Playing in the 3rd division (of course Pinnick mindset, anything abroad is better than anything in Nigeria).
Gbam
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I agree with Rufai. I would even take Akpeyi ahead of Uzoho at this point.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

Uzoho has very suspect reflexes but Ezenwa could have given away a different kind of cheap goals from crosses into the box
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:
fabio wrote:Uzoho is not good enough for this level.....

Gbam
Imagine WC exposure can't even save him from going back to division 3 footie...na real wa
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Uzoho no be am right now... at least he got the experience.. hopefuly he builds from that, but that weak goal from Messi or the one from ROja, Enyeam would have saved both
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I still think Ezenwa is a more composed goal keeper than Uzoho... his ground level reflex is far more reassuring than Uzoho's.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Peter Rufia told the truth as a goalie.
Uzoho did well, but experience and exposure counts on the big stage.
As an observer/fan, Ezenwa's experience could have yielded greater returns for Nigeria.
Anyway, the deed is done, abroad is better than the zoo.
Heck when I enter MMA dem zoo-customs/immigras/olopas on the road go bow for a dishwaher, a cabbie, a respected menial jobber from abroad.
Na so shiit dey role for our land :biggrin:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Uzoho not in Ezenwa’s class, says Rufai
ON AUGUST 9, 20184:20 AMIN SPORTS0 COMMENTS Ezenwa-Uzoho
By Jacob Ajom

Peter Rufai who kept for Nigeria at the 1994 and 1998 World Cup tournaments gave his verdict on goalkeepers Francis Uzoho and Ikechukwu Ezenwa, coach Gernot Rohr’s first and second choice goalkeepers for the national team. Reviewing Uzoho’s performance at the World Cup in Russia, Rufai said the young man did his best and for his age, he could be excused for some of the mistakes he made in the course of the tournament. “Uzoho tried, but if you ask me to choose between him and Ezenwa, I will go for Ezenwa,” Rufai said.

He observed that Uzoho did not have the finesse of a great goalkeeper and was still raw. He said the mistakes the goalkeeper made did not result in goals that was why his defects were not too conspicuous to the ordinary fan.

“What you look out for in a goalkeeper is his ability to be ‘clean’. By this I mean his movement, the way he does his catches, how he parries the ball and general technicalities required of a goalkeeper. “This is where Ezenwa has an edge over him. Ezenwa’s movement in the goal line, his commanding presence and how he organises his back four was what we missed at the World Cup in Russia. He is a natural goalkeeper.”

Rufai said Uzoho had every opportunity to shine. “He got the coach’s backing and was primed for greatness. If Ezenwa got the same kind of support, I am sure we would have been talking of something else by now.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/uzo ... ays-rufai/
Uzoho did well at the World Cup.

He was not the problem with the team.

I don't recall him parrying the ball to an opponent nor him mishandling crosses. I think only the Messi's goal is one where I think a better goalie might have saved it... but the beauty of Messi is that he makes some goals look routine. Ask Courtois...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We should also note that Rufai has problems with his left eye lately. :thumb:

Glaucoma :|
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Uzoho was never the problem neither was goal keeping.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

People need to get a job seriously. Uzoho conceeded goals any normal keeper would concede. When people start doing the iffy business, it is the first sign of joblessness. There is a reason the coaches favored Uzoho, i spoke at length with Alloy Agu on this, and he explained the position of the coaches. Rufai is entitled to his opinion, just as any fan or person with football view. But such view must learn to respect those who make the decisions, because those who do are with these players every day and have all the details needed to make the right decision.

Uzoho still has a lot of development to do, but i can wager my bet on who we will be talking about in the next 3-4 years career progression wise! I wish Ezenwa well, he impressed me with his display during the qualifiers, but i wont call him better than Uzoho in anyway, both are probably in the same category. But one thing which Uzoho brought to the keepers department is the ability to mop up balls in the air, even Rufai at his height was a flapping bird when the ball comes flying across the box.

The two are currently the best we have, i may say that perhaps the other keepers should have been given a chance too especially in the build up to the World cup especially when it comes to the friendlies. But i want to believe that the handlers identified height as an issue with Ezenwa and were not convinced , hence the desperation to get Uzoho up to speed.

Uzoho did not disappoint, he did above what was expected, nevertheless like any other player , he there is still room for improvement, but he did what he needed to do. We should be looking at ways of building upon what he has done, not putting some cheap divisive article in the newspaper.

What else, claim that the coaches probably collected bribe to field him above Ezenwa, looks like the typical naija mentality is never satisfied until he tears a building down.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Abeg oloye nwanne your mama born you well. To much wisdom! But please sometimes you should not respond to a thread just allow yours to do what yours are capable of doing
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

They have transferred their blames from rohr now to uzoho very soon it will be mike turn. Imagine a 19 year old came from oblivion to snatch shirt from ezenwa and akpeyi and people are talking. Both akpeyi and ezenwa deserves a dirty slap for allowing that to happen and it was deservedly
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If you think uzoho has slow reflex then go and rewatch Nigeria vs Algeria home and away, Nigeria vs Zambia home etc and see how confident ezenwa and akpeyi made you feek