2018/2019 Spurs Season: PL: 4th; LC: SM; FAC: 4RD; CL: Final

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2018/2019 Spurs Season: [CL] TOT vs BVB [RD 16]

Post by Coach »

Tactically engineered victory. Sissoko, has there been a more dominant display than that second ‘45. Crikey.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Coach wrote:Tactically engineered victory. Sissoko, has there been a more dominant display than that second ‘45. Crikey.
Newcastle fans are no longer laughing at the 30m "robbery" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Its a Goal wrote:With Kane and Dele set to return for the 2nd leg it should put us in a strong position to qualify for the round of 8.
Funny enough I think Spurs look a better side without Dele. Llorente has returned to something close to match fitness. Interesting seeing how Poch manages this.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Good win. Dortmund were missing six key players so Spurs had to deliver tonight.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]The YeyeMan[/color] wrote: Good win. Dortmund were missing six key players so Spurs had to deliver tonight.
You realize that we were missing the following:
1. Kane
2. Dele
3. Dier
4. Davis
5. Rose
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

This is our Super Jan. Most gave him a 10/10.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I don't get this media. This is just the first leg. The second leg is not over. Dortmund still has a chance. All this pretence of hailing Spurs while waiting for the team to lose is easily seen through. We know their normal behaviour.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

pajimoh wrote:
Coach wrote:Tactically engineered victory. Sissoko, has there been a more dominant display than that second ‘45. Crikey.
Newcastle fans are no longer laughing at the 30m "robbery" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I still believe that if he hadn't gotten injured vs United that we wouldn't have lost that game.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]The YeyeMan[/color] wrote: Good win. Dortmund were missing six key players so Spurs had to deliver tonight.
1. Kane
2. Dele
3. Dier
4. Davis
5. Rose
They were missing six first team players - two of which are their top scorers this season.

You've listed two left-backs.

The tie isn't over yet. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
1. Kane
2. Dele
3. Dier
4. Davis
5. Rose
They were missing six first team players - two of which are their top scorers this season.

Kane and Alli are? We have turned the road a bit in terms of player availability but the Spurs Team that played yesterday was not the first choice team.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
1. Kane
2. Dele
3. Dier
4. Davis
5. Rose

I get the impression you think they are incapable of losing had those players been present.

Injury, suspension, loss of form, mistakes etc, all part of the game. We go again in 2 weeks time
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Gotta give Spurs credit for rolling along without a hitch in the absence of Kane. I thought it would set them back but they're proving they can win without their best player.

Problem with Spurs is this is one of their best teams ever and yet its still not good enough for them to win anything. I suspect once the debt payments on the new stadium starts to pile up they will fall even further behind the pack.

I don't understand what their fans have to look forward to. Every season its hope to finish top 4 and get to the CL QFs. At least as an Arsenal fan I can take solace in the fact that we're rebuilding which gives me some hope we might have a better future. With Spurs even at their very best they have an empty trophy case.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Heliopolis wrote: I don't understand what their fans have to look forward to. Every season its hope to finish top 4 and get to the CL QFs. At least as an Arsenal fan I can take solace in the fact that we're rebuilding which gives me some hope we might have a better future. With Spurs even at their very best they have an empty trophy case.
:D

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Heliopolis wrote:Gotta give Spurs credit for rolling along without a hitch in the absence of Kane. I thought it would set them back but they're proving they can win without their best player.

Problem with Spurs is this is one of their best teams ever and yet its still not good enough for them to win anything. I suspect once the debt payments on the new stadium starts to pile up they will fall even further behind the pack.

I don't understand what their fans have to look forward to. Every season its hope to finish top 4 and get to the CL QFs. At least as an Arsenal fan I can take solace in the fact that we're rebuilding which gives me some hope we might have a better future. With Spurs even at their very best they have an empty trophy case.
It's obvious you're failing to gasp the new reality of the EPL and goons predicament.
You're still incapable of honestly assessing the situation in order to prescribe the right remedy. You're playing the goon/Spurs rivalry game by painting your situation as "hopeful" and Spurs as "dire".

1. You don't understand what we have to look forward to? Well let me tell you. A long time ago, we decided we need to move from mid table league to the top 4. We didn't have the money to help bridge that gap immediately so we decided a good manager and someone who can harness our academy players would be best. We then need to buy smart and always balance the books.
A you'll notice the top 4 clubs have serious money to spend and also over 60,000 capacity stadium to help generate more revenue. Spurs had less than 40,000 capacity stadium. Not enough to compete with those getting regular CL money and serious gate receipts.

We decided to eat our elephant piece by piece while the likes of Chelsea, Man City have money dumped on them so no need to follow any plan, just spend.

With money committed to building a stadium and very little committed to the team, we've not only manage to make a little go a long way, we've manage to get into the top 4 and into regular CL cash. Cash buy the best players and the best players help you win trophies. So we need to grow our cash.

People often compare and deride Spurs 4th place finish as the new Arsenal. But you need to see where both team were coming from to understand the whole picture. Arsenal have won the league so top 4 is not the best they've done. Settling for just 4th place is not an improvement to their best. Spurs on the other hand have never won the league and breaking into the top four is a major improvement.

The domestic cups is no longer the holy grail it once used to be. The question you need to ask yourself is "would you rather win the FA cup or play in the CL?". I don't know about you goons but a stadium like the one Spurs is putting up deserves to have the best teams in Europe gracing it. The game against Dortmund was a blast and that's what we want. It was also estimated that the CL income and FA cup income is 80:1.
Goon made 10m more than Spurs last year. With your 60,000 plus stadium and lack of CL football saw your earnings drop and as a result your inability to buy players. 3 years of no CL football has definitely affected your team.

As to rebuilding your team, well keep telling yourself that. It takes years to get back into the top 4. If you think you'll rebuild and the other teams will leave your players alone and not destabilise your team then I've got a flying pink elephant toe sell.

Just a change of Manager saw Man United drop out of title contention and since then they've changed managers a few times while still spending money. If you think your situation is as simple as rebuilding then ......
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

pajimoh wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Gotta give Spurs credit for rolling along without a hitch in the absence of Kane. I thought it would set them back but they're proving they can win without their best player.

It's obvious you're failing to gasp the new reality of the EPL and goons predicament.
You're still incapable of honestly assessing the situation in order to prescribe the right remedy. You're playing the goon/Spurs rivalry game by painting your situation as "hopeful" and Spurs as "dire".

1. You don't understand what we have to look forward to? Well let me tell you. A long time ago, we decided we need to move from mid table league to the top 4. We didn't have the money to help bridge that gap immediately so we decided a good manager and someone who can harness our academy players would be best. We then need to buy smart and always balance the books.
A you'll notice the top 4 clubs have serious money to spend and also over 60,000 capacity stadium to help generate more revenue. Spurs had less than 40,000 capacity stadium. Not enough to compete with those getting regular CL money and serious gate receipts.

We decided to eat our elephant piece by piece while the likes of Chelsea, Man City have money dumped on them so no need to follow any plan, just spend.

With money committed to building a stadium and very little committed to the team, we've not only manage to make a little go a long way, we've manage to get into the top 4 and into regular CL cash. Cash buy the best players and the best players help you win trophies. So we need to grow our cash.

People often compare and deride Spurs 4th place finish as the new Arsenal. But you need to see where both team were coming from to understand the whole picture. Arsenal have won the league so top 4 is not the best they've done. Settling for just 4th place is not an improvement to their best. Spurs on the other hand have never won the league and breaking into the top four is a major improvement.

The domestic cups is no longer the holy grail it once used to be. The question you need to ask yourself is "would you rather win the FA cup or play in the CL?". I don't know about you goons but a stadium like the one Spurs is putting up deserves to have the best teams in Europe gracing it. The game against Dortmund was a blast and that's what we want. It was also estimated that the CL income and FA cup income is 80:1.
Goon made 10m more than Spurs last year. With your 60,000 plus stadium and lack of CL football saw your earnings drop and as a result your inability to buy players. 3 years of no CL football has definitely affected your team.

As to rebuilding your team, well keep telling yourself that. It takes years to get back into the top 4. If you think you'll rebuild and the other teams will leave your players alone and not destabilise your team then I've got a flying pink elephant toe sell.

Just a change of Manager saw Man United drop out of title contention and since then they've changed managers a few times while still spending money. If you think your situation is as simple as rebuilding then ......
didn't read

1. Leicester
2. Arsenal
3. ___

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Pa Jimoh, well said and articulately put. Spurs path to the top is not the same as the other money bags who take the short route. It is a painful journey to the top but it is doable. Leicester's case is that of winning the lottery. They caught lightening in a bottle. Liverpool has been throwing money at solving their problem likewise City and Chelsea hence why they are often considered favorites. Spurs on the other hand has to manage it's resources extremely carefully but the time is coming when we will start generating enough revenue we will no longer be hampered by cash to bring in players.

As Poch said, in future Spurs will be signing players who want to win with the club.

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

What do I have to look forward to? Good football and a team that gives its best. We have been down and we are coming up. I warned Waffiman a decade ago. If only I could find the post.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Cristao II[/color] wrote: What do I have to look forward to? Good football and a team that gives its best. We have been down and we are coming up. I warned Waffiman a decade ago. If only I could find the post.
Not only you. From the time of Martin Jol when Spurs was making an upward traction while ARSE went from champion to perennial top 4 finishers, I told Al Waff Man that if I was an investor I'd invest in Spurs based on their upward mobility. At that time we were constantly finishing 5th and barely missing out on 4th. That period was known as the Sky 4 (ManU, Pool, Chelsea and ARSE). It was hard to break through but now that stranglehold has been broken. If we can manage to keep Poch and the stadium serves as the cash cow we expect it to be it will be a long time before ARSE will be able to finish above Spurs.

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I understand where y'all are coming from and building the stadium makes sense. Its also impressive you've sustained a top 4 spot despite being grossly outspent by City, Utd, Pool, and Chelsea. What I'm saying and this is obviously up for debate is I do not see Spurs having better days ahead of them. They will continue to be outspent and if the Arsenal case is indicative, revenues will be going to service debt rather than invest on the field. We shall see but as of now we know Spurs are top 3-4 quality, but no where near the quality needed to win the league. Top 4 is great for now but at some point you need to win something and I can't see that happening given how things currently stand.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Heliopolis[/color] wrote: I understand where y'all are coming from and building the stadium makes sense. Its also impressive you've sustained a top 4 spot despite being grossly outspent by City, Utd, Pool, and Chelsea. What I'm saying and this is obviously up for debate is I do not see Spurs having better days ahead of them. They will continue to be outspent and if the Arsenal case is indicative, revenues will be going to service debt rather than invest on the field. We shall see but as of now we know Spurs are top 3-4 quality, but no where near the quality needed to win the league. Top 4 is great for now but at some point you need to win something and I can't see that happening given how things currently stand.
As has been pointed out to you by Pa Jimoh, the stadium is a critical part of plan. If the goal was simply to expand the stadium to attract 60K+ fans then that would have been easily done. What Levy wanted was a multi-purpose stadium that can bring in revenue on a regular basis. The reason why the Emirates is different from WHL is that we can play football on a Saturday and then host a NFL game seamlessly the very next day to a packed house on both days without hindrance. The NFL revenue is going to be huge especially when we sign a contract to host one of the teams all through the season. The stadium financing is not going to be an issue since the stadium is going to earn income from 2 reliable sources which means we get to pay off the loan sooner while a flush with cash to buy players.

Knowing Poch, he is not one to buy all the best players in the world. He prefers to coach and bring in youth players that he can develop and integrate into the first team. This means he is not going to bother Levy about spending excessively but rather only to bring in players he feels will add something to the team. If you think the reason why Spurs didn't buy players in the last 2 transfer windows is because we didn't have the money or Levy didn't make provision for him then you are massively mistaken. Levy said he gave Poch a 100M war chest. There were many players of different price range and quality brought to his attention but he said he didn't find anyone who could displace the quality he already has. So far he has been proven correct. Our first 11 is solid without question, now you add the 2nd 11 to the equation and it is increasingly looking like they can give the first a run for their money.

Try and study Poch and you will find that he is a very ambitious man. He is a manager who is enjoys taking on a tough challenge of making a player better so long as you display the right attitude. See what he has done with Sissoko. See what he is doing with Winks. Llorente that everyone cast off has now scored 9 in 10 games or thereabout. No be joke when the fans say he is magic. He said Carabou and FA Cup is not his priority but rather the League and CL. I believe he is going to achieve one if not both in the next two years. Right him off at your own peril.

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Heliopolis wrote:I understand where y'all are coming from and building the stadium makes sense. Its also impressive you've sustained a top 4 spot despite being grossly outspent by City, Utd, Pool, and Chelsea. What I'm saying and this is obviously up for debate is I do not see Spurs having better days ahead of them. They will continue to be outspent and if the Arsenal case is indicative, revenues will be going to service debt rather than invest on the field. We shall see but as of now we know Spurs are top 3-4 quality, but no where near the quality needed to win the league. Top 4 is great for now but at some point you need to win something and I can't see that happening given how things currently stand.
Audere EST Facere. That motto is not for show alone.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I am impressed with the spurs model! No short cuts to success! You start building slowly and steady, they are playing good football, we can see that! If they can get a cash injection and add a few more players, they are looking at the title, to be honest, i dont know why Poch wants to come united! Unless the united board gives him a free hand and massive funds, he should just stay whre he is
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko