Victor Moses retires from Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Victor Moses retires from Nigeria

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:Apparently, he had a falling out with Rohr at the WC and initially refused to play at wing-back until he was prevailed by Kinnock and Kanu among others.
He was unlikely to be invited to the SE as long as Rohr remains the coach, so he pre-empted the coach.
LOC knows what he's talking about with his tweet.
Dammy,

I did not want to state more in my post but I feel that in that Argentina game, he did not give all. People may cite the Rojo goal but if you have the time you may want to watch the opening half and Vic Mo's efforts defensively. That should tell you all want to know.

However, I stated earlier I have mixed feelings because he was the guy who largely made our qualification possible and when he is on his game, there is hardly any SE better. He has served well and I definitely appreciate his services but it is time to move on.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Obviously we have to respect his decision and move on. We don't have any wingers/wingbacks that consistently contribute on both sides of the field like Moses does. He's very effective going forward and more than puts in his share defensively. We'll see who steps up.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

I respect his decision. Godspeed to him. He was devastating
at AFCON 2013.

I do feel constrained to say he was willing to and played his
best under Keshi. If others follow suit, I can only conclude
that Rohr is WORSE than I thought.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

For now I'll hold off on all the interpretations and analysis of Victor Moses' time with the Eagles and simply thank him for his services.

Moving forward, Abdulahi Shehu, Ebuehi, and Ola Aina can play that position. And while they may not do as well as Moses offensively, they are better defenders.

I wish Moses the best of luck focusing on his Chelsea career
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ebyboy wrote:I respect his decision. Godspeed to him. He was devastating
at AFCON 2013.

best under Keshi
. If others follow suit, I can only conclude
The highlighted is not entirely true. You may want to check the WC 2014 and what happened after that WC.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Ebyboy wrote:I respect his decision. Godspeed to him. He was devastating
at AFCON 2013.

best under Keshi. If others follow suit, I can only conclude
No. Keshi benched him for a while because he wasn't doing well. He was benched for Babatunde at the world cup.

For the sake of respecting Moses, let's not get into this analysis now
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Lol. Too many anti-Moses folks responding emotionally possibly due to one bias or another. Make no mistake about it, this is a big loss for Nigeria. Has he always been a model player or put in perfect performances? No. But on a team full of average players, Moses has been consistently one of our best. He was very instrumental to winning the 2013 ANC and earning a WC ticket from Africa’s group of death last year. That said, he’s made a decision to shut it down internationally for better or worse and I respect it. We can all move on amicably without name calling especially against a player who has given a lot to Nigeria.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Apart from that momentary lapse that allowed Rojo in...Moses had a good game against Argentina even scored a penalty with touch ease. He had a bad game against Croatia, the whole team did.

And in the qualifiers he was easily one of the best players in the green jersey. I don't understand where all of these he has grudge or no grudge is coming from.

Like the man said he has won all that can be won with the SE, he probably feels there is a big fight on his hand at Chelsea..you weight the options which fight is worth fighting with all of your energy and focus....I think his club career comes first at this point. I am disappointed he is retiring now, but seriously what challenge is there again with the SE?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

oloye wrote: I am disappointed he is retiring now, but seriously what challenge is there again with the SE?

what kind of a stupid thing to say is this ?

So why should anybody don the GWG ?

So the whole France team should just retire now that they won the WC ?

Did Ronaldo retire from Portugal after winning the Euro ? After all Portugal was never going to win a WC, and Ronaldo has a much busier club career to look forward to. He will not be warming the bench like Moses.

These excuses I am hearing are sickening. Is the man not a footballer ? People are proud to play for their country. Nobody should be retiring at 27 without a good reason. Especially not a bench warmer.

I'm sorry I have defended Moses many times on here when people were calling him out for avoiding matches, but this latest stunt just proves what all those were saying about him were RIGHT. He is an opportunist, that is what he is. A lazy player to boot, which is why he was a journeyman, and why he will continue to be once he is done at Chelsea.

I'm sorry but he hasn't really done much for GWG exept dive around, dribble and ignore his teammates and score Penalty kicks. (Go look how many of his goals are PK's) He has been selfish and not played for the team and I honestly think SE will be better WITHOUT HIM.

I cannot remember how many times this guy just ignored better positioned team mates only to take pot shots or dribble defenders. This goes back to pre 2014 WC.

The guy just thinks he is much better than he actually is, he DOES think he is above the team. Let him go warm bench for a team that doesn't even give a rats a$$ about him.

Honestly SE will be much better without uncommited primadonnas. Now I see why we failed at the WC, with these kind of players.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Here is the deal
there are 2 standout factors central in playing to full potential in SE as far as Moses is concerned and he probably feels he reached full potential in all areas hence a decline would ultimately set in from now onwards. so why not leave while the gong is loud;

1) A player is up-& coming local player needing global/international recognition and exposure

2) A player is - foreign born- with Nigerian roots and needing reconnection to Nigeria and international resume/laurels & perhaps world cup appearance.

There's nothing left for him to prove
Last edited by jette1 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sorry but we have all these young players comming up in the works

Onyekuru
Moses Daddy Simon
Samuel Kalu
Chukwueze
Alex Iwobi
Tosin Kehinde
Danjuma
Isaac Success
Noah Bazee
Dennis Bonaventure

We dont need a serial diver. :boo:
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Isaac Success
Onyekuru
Samuel Kalu
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I respect him decision. Retiring before he is surplus to requirement. Unlike others that want to play forever in the nationatl team. Kanu and Yobo should have retire earlier than they did.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Oh, dear...
Did you really have to go there? :rotf: :rotf:
ohenhen1 wrote:I respect him decision. Retiring before he is surplus to requirement. Unlike others that want to play forever in the nationatl team. Kanu and Yobo should have retire earlier than they did.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The is sad commentary on Nigeria. How does a boy who put it all on the line to rep Nigeria after what he went through walk away from the Nigeria at his prime? Think for once people and stop the knee jerk comments. Had he chosen England he would've been on their 2018 team for sure and his future would be brighter. Why? Why did he walk away?
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:The is sad commentary on Nigeria. How does a boy who put it all on the line to rep Nigeria after what he went through walk away from the Nigeria at his prime? Think for once people and stop the knee jerk comments. Had he chosen England he would've been on their 2018 team for sure and his future would be brighter. Why? Why did he walk away?

honestly he wasnt all that during the world cup. Perhaps he would do much better for himself if he concentrated on his career. Good luck to him
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

V Moses has served the country well. Afcon winner.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I know you have diarhorea of the mouth and your lack common etiquette for public discourse. So feel free to give my comment a pass and never in your miserable life address my comment like you just did.

Feel free to rain your usual rant on Moses, if it helps to make your life better!
vancity eagle wrote:
oloye wrote: I am disappointed he is retiring now, but seriously what challenge is there again with the SE?

what kind of a stupid thing to say is this ?

So why should anybody don the GWG ?

So the whole France team should just retire now that they won the WC ?

Did Ronaldo retire from Portugal after winning the Euro ? After all Portugal was never going to win a WC, and Ronaldo has a much busier club career to look forward to. He will not be warming the bench like Moses.

These excuses I am hearing are sickening. Is the man not a footballer ? People are proud to play for their country. Nobody should be retiring at 27 without a good reason. Especially not a bench warmer.

I'm sorry I have defended Moses many times on here when people were calling him out for avoiding matches, but this latest stunt just proves what all those were saying about him were RIGHT. He is an opportunist, that is what he is. A lazy player to boot, which is why he was a journeyman, and why he will continue to be once he is done at Chelsea.

I'm sorry but he hasn't really done much for GWG exept dive around, dribble and ignore his teammates and score Penalty kicks. (Go look how many of his goals are PK's) He has been selfish and not played for the team and I honestly think SE will be better WITHOUT HIM.

I cannot remember how many times this guy just ignored better positioned team mates only to take pot shots or dribble defenders. This goes back to pre 2014 WC.

The guy just thinks he is much better than he actually is, he DOES think he is above the team. Let him go warm bench for a team that doesn't even give a rats a$$ about him.

Honestly SE will be much better without uncommited primadonnas. Now I see why we failed at the WC, with these kind of players.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Victor Moses needs to spend some time with folks who retired from football either at pro or amateur level. For the rest of your life, you miss the game and wish you had squeezed more out of yourself and enjoyed more varying experiences. There is truth in the good saying "there will be more than enough time to sleep when you are dead!"

Therefore, to retire from international football at the age of 27 is a decision that I struggle to understand. This is a player that got so much love and adulation from his nigerian fans than at any of his clubs. A good footballer's peak is in the early 30s in my opinion.

Good luck to him.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:Apparently, he had a falling out with Rohr at the WC and initially refused to play at wing-back until he was prevailed by Kinnock and Kanu among others.
He was unlikely to be invited to the SE as long as Rohr remains the coach, so he pre-empted the coach.
LOC knows what he's talking about with his tweet.
Dammy,

I did not want to state more in my post but I feel that in that Argentina game, he did not give all. People may cite the Rojo goal but if you have the time you may want to watch the opening half and Vic Mo's efforts defensively. That should tell you all want to know.

However, I stated earlier I have mixed feelings because he was the guy who largely made our qualification possible and when he is on his game, there is hardly any SE better. He has served well and I definitely appreciate his services but it is time to move on.
So all of una know, but kept quiet and feed us stories like continuity, no bonus problems in camp etc. We know that Rohr was out of his depth in the WC. Like Chris Rock said it's alright because it's all "white".
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Brother oloye I’m not going to call you stupid but the guy comments makes sense. Footballers shouldn’t just give for after winning 1 trophy. Imagine if giggs, scholars resigned after winning 1epl or Ronaldo, Messi resigned after winning 1 wpoy?? Nigerian footballers should remember that posterity and history will remember all their accomplishments and they should always strive for consistency. A player like Moses has won 1 ANC but what stops him from winning 2,3 and possibly striving to become our GOAT? I’m sorry but as much as I respect his decision for quitting, no one should give us that bullcrap that he has nothing else to win again because of 1 single ANC. We should look at players like giggs, Ronaldo, scholes, Zidane CV
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Fabio STFU rohr wasn’t out of depth we just lost to a team with better talent/players. When most of your players are at Backwater leagues/teams and your opponents are at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus Etc you better humble yourself and disavow that entitled mentality
Last edited by john12 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

john12 wrote:Fabio STFU rohr wasn’t out of depth we just lost to a team with better talent/players. When most of your players are at Backwater leagues/teams and your opponents are at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus Etc you better humble yourself/entitled mentality
Listen we are having an intelligent conversation. When we need the thoughts and opinions of agberos, be sure we will ask you.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim