Victor Moses retires from Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Victor Moses retires from Nigeria

Post by balo »

kajifu wrote:Chelsea is classless,how any African support this club is shocking.Chelsea asking him to stop playing for SE or he will be ship to under 15 youth team and just train with them until his contract finish.

Moses has EPL and FA medals with Chelsea. He already is a legend.

He probably hid his "Africanness" during those periods.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
soma
Egg
Egg

Post by soma »

oloye wrote:That boy has a baffling way about him. How do you retire from the national team at 27,the peak?

I love the boy to bits and I think we need him, at least for the next afcon. But I can sense where this frustration is coming from...

I hope he will have a change of mind sharing. Haba retiring from the national team at 27? I hope it is not Chelsea pushing this

Did you say he’s at his peak? Moses real age is pushing 33/34

3. Thomas Sankara
4. Patrice Lumumba
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Murmar "the Lion" Ghaddafi....
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigeria will miss him. I guess it opens the door for Kalu and Onyekuru.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Who said Moses hasn’t had his best periods since 2013 is lying. Moses was our best player in WCQ just last year and our top scorer. I believe that this is a semi-retirement. He dosent want to go through those process of Ancq, wcq, etc because he has played at 2 World Cups and won the ANC. However, should we qualify for another World Cup, the decision will be rescinded. This is the time for all you crooks clients to step up and take that Moses position. You guys were mentioning many “hey you’d” prior to World Cup bring them now. One thing about Moses is that he always performed for Us on African Soil. His problems were against international teams
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

soma wrote:
oloye wrote:That boy has a baffling way about him. How do you retire from the national team at 27,the peak?

I love the boy to bits and I think we need him, at least for the next afcon. But I can sense where this frustration is coming from...

I hope he will have a change of mind sharing. Haba retiring from the national team at 27? I hope it is not Chelsea pushing this

Did you say he’s at his peak? Moses real age is pushing 33/34

How did you arrive at that figure?
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

The Victor Moses at the last World Cup will not be missed. The Moses of ANC 2013 and the qualifies will be. I have a feeling he may have been lent on by his club. If he is big enough to stand up to them then good riddance. Time for the NFF to go and get the likes of Ademola Lookman and Ovie Ejaria and for the likes of Moses Simon to step up.

Good luck to the lad.
YNWA
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

The jostle for the Se captainship after Mikel begins.
lekanlij
Egg
Egg

Post by lekanlij »

The more reason we should appreciate heroes such as Mikel - he has given nigeria so much and never turned his back on us in over 1 decade of representing us as far as I remember. Moses retirement should also make us revisit our policy of inviting “foreign” Nigerians to represent us lest we create a situation like Kevin boateng and Ghana or players ending their careers prematurely.

It’s disappointing Moses is leaving international football now to warm the bench at Chelsea - enduring nigerian football administration issues is a little give back to many Nigerians who live in much worse situations seemingly perpetually- rethink your decision Moses and don’t let anything put you off. Think about the fans in their millions..
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

No, Moses should be respected for resigning and people should stop saying Moses hasn’t had a good game since 2013. That’s false. He was literally our best player “LAST YEAR” single handedly qualified us for WC. Come to think of it, why do some of our best player retire Early? Players like oliseh, Finidi, odegbami, aghawonder, Moses all early retires
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

olu wrote:From what I infer from his tweet sounds like he feels playing for Nigeria will affect his chances to break into Chelsea's starting XI. He will have a tough time breaking into the starting XI under Sarri whether he plays for Nigeria or not.

We will definitely miss him. On a good day Moses can win a game almost by himself. Still hope he changes his mind. If he doesn't, I hope others can fill the void.
Luca Modric and Christiano Ronaldo still play international football and for clubs where the competition is on a mega scale but do you know why they can do both and still make the first team for both club and country?
Chelsea might find him surplus to requirements already rather than later,I wish him all the best though.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
olu wrote:From what I infer from his tweet sounds like he feels playing for Nigeria will affect his chances to break into Chelsea's starting XI. He will have a tough time breaking into the starting XI under Sarri whether he plays for Nigeria or not.

We will definitely miss him. On a good day Moses can win a game almost by himself. Still hope he changes his mind. If he doesn't, I hope others can fill the void.
Luca Modric and Christiano Ronaldo still play international football and for clubs where the competition is on a mega scale but do you know why they can do both and still make the first team for both club and country?
Chelsea might find him surplus to requirements already rather than later,I wish him all the best though.
Context bro...context. While I would want him to reconsider the decision,the truth remains he does not have the sort of advantage those players you listed have and having to deal with the chaos around the national team is another which can make anyone who has done everything doable for his national team to call it quits.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

To be perfectly honest, I have mixed feelings about Vic Mo's retirement. He is one of the players that I feel had the opportunity to become one of the best ever for Nigeria but you can also argue that he was one of those who promised so much but failed to deliver all the promises. Though people have lashed out at Vancity about his view at this time but but but...... Fill in the blank. Vic Mo is definitely one player who avoided friendlies and sometimes you get the feeling that he does not give his all. However, when he does there is no doubt that he is probably our best guy BUT only when his mind is all there. Further, was he always comfortable being among his SE colleagues? Just asking?

I have used a lot of "buts" BUT that is exactly how I feel about Vic Mo's retirement. My tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

vancity eagle wrote:Is Mikel up next ? I feel it may be comming soon.

What kind of player retires at 27 ? The guy still has one more WC in him. You see Ronaldo playing when he is 33 and he is yet to retire. Not only that but Ronaldo will actually be playing entire seasons and not sitting warming a bench.

I'm sorry but this is just :boo:

no way to spin it.
...a player who don't take crap from incompetent administration.
If none of you can't see the reasoning unless he spells it out, then una go wait and speculate for long.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Fortunately Nigeria is not lacking in up and coming wingers. For one thing this could cement Onyekuru a starting slot.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Good luck to him, thank God he plays a position we are already stacked in... time for Samuel Kalu(seems he's already lined up for a call up), Onyekuru, Simon Moses and a host of other players (the Danjuma lad from the Netherlands) to step up.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Eaglezbeak wrote:

...bad comparison. More like saying oyinbo leaders still go dem hospitals when dem sick, while our gaunt-one fly out to a foreign hospital when he sneezes.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This is not good at all for the long term planning for SE particularly for the next WC. Moses retiring is a dagger to Rohr's plan of having a matured,experienced team for the next mundial, a massive vote of no confidence was cast today by Vic Mo. I suspect he's tired of it,wont be suprised to see Mikel and Balogun follow him into retirement. Perhaps there's something he knows that we don't on the horizon.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Good Obi Mikel is next. Give room to young lads like Onyekuru to make their mark. Onyekuru is too talented than Moses.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:This is not good at all for the long term planning for SE particularly for the next WC. Moses retiring is a dagger to Rohr's plan of having a matured,experienced team for the next mundial, a massive vote of no confidence was cast today by Vic Mo. I suspect he's tired of it,wont be suprised to see Mikel and Balogun follow him into retirement. Perhaps there's something he knows that we don't on the horizon.
Actually it's a good thing, the key here is building a young team for the future so we shouldn't expect to see a dominant SE team in the next 1-2 years. The likes of Mikel, Ighalo and Echejile should be expected to follow suit... not too sure Balogun and Musa will stay around for long either, probably got one AFCON and world cup left in them.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Musa goes to The Middle East in his 20s & Moses retires from repping the nation @ about the same age - tells me there's hardly any value to playing for the country. At this rate with a few others giving up - 9ja fans might've to watch WC tourneys w/o the SE present - talent pool looks iffy as it is.
Sad!!!
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

My thoughts somewhat mirror yours.
I really haven't been impressed with his NT performance over the last 2 yrs - sense a ting of laziness in his play which came to fore against Argentina, when he failed to track Rojo and let him score their winner in the WC. He definately had a rather poor WC, for all intents and purposes.
I believe his departure would open up doors for Onyekuru, provided he grabs the opportunity with both hands and runs with it!
Wish Moses all the best and its time for us to move on.
Enugu II wrote:To be perfectly honest, I have mixed feelings about Vic Mo's retirement. He is one of the players that I feel had the opportunity to become one of the best ever for Nigeria but you can also argue that he was one of those who promised so much but failed to deliver all the promises. Though people have lashed out at Vancity about his view at this time but but but...... Fill in the blank. Vic Mo is definitely one player who avoided friendlies and sometimes you get the feeling that he does not give his all. However, when he does there is no doubt that he is probably our best guy BUT only when his mind is all there. Further, was he always comfortable being among his SE colleagues? Just asking?

I have used a lot of "buts" BUT that is exactly how I feel about Vic Mo's retirement. My tuppence.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:see them attacking Moses. Look here your NFF is about to be banned.... No one wants all these negative energy

No dude, Moses has been avoiding matches and faking injuries for years. Now it all makes sense. He was never fully committed IMO, he doesn't want to bother any more. His poor performances are evidence of this. His heart is just not there. Now we can move on, I think he was actually a detriment to the team with his constant diving and selfish play.

A highly motivated player will serve the team much better.
He still helped us win our last ANC to date, I don't know whether he's motivated or not, but he deserves our respect in his decision...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote:My thoughts somewhat mirror yours.
I really haven't been impressed with his NT performance over the last 2 yrs - sense a ting of laziness in his play which came to fore against Argentina, when he failed to track Rojo and let him score their winner in the WC. He definately had a rather poor WC, for all intents and purposes.
I believe his departure would open up doors for Onyekuru, provided he grabs the opportunity with both hands and runs with it!
Wish Moses all the best and its time for us to move on.
Enugu II wrote:To be perfectly honest, I have mixed feelings about Vic Mo's retirement. He is one of the players that I feel had the opportunity to become one of the best ever for Nigeria but you can also argue that he was one of those who promised so much but failed to deliver all the promises. Though people have lashed out at Vancity about his view at this time but but but...... Fill in the blank. Vic Mo is definitely one player who avoided friendlies and sometimes you get the feeling that he does not give his all. However, when he does there is no doubt that he is probably our best guy BUT only when his mind is all there. Further, was he always comfortable being among his SE colleagues? Just asking?

Onyekuru dey very average o! I'm hoping Success is able to pick his career back up, he'd be really useful.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!