Julius Berger v JS Kabylie 1995 Africa Cup Winners Cup Final

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Julius Berger v JS Kabylie 1995 Africa Cup Winners Cup Final

Post by The Eagle »

Clips from both legs of the final .... featuring notable internationals Joseph Dosu and Menad Djamal.

One notices the attendance for the second leg in Algeria vastly exceeded the attendance for the first leg in Lagos (National Stadium?). And it is like the stadium cameras in Algeria had better resolution than the ones in Lagos.

Oloye probably played against some of the J. Berger players. Begs the question of whether there is any extant video of BCC's continental triumphs floating somewhere on the internet. Oga Oloye, if you have any old VHS tapes, please get in touch with whoever uploaded the videos of Ghana winning the Nations Cup, as that person has expertise in digitizing old film technologies. :)

[/video]
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Julius Berger v JS Kabylie 1995 Africa Cup Winners Cup F

Post by Enugu II »

The Eagle wrote:Clips from both legs of the final .... featuring notable internationals Joseph Dosu and Menad Djamal.

One notices the attendance for the second leg in Algeria vastly exceeded the attendance for the first leg in Lagos (National Stadium?). And it is like the stadium cameras in Algeria had better resolution than the ones in Lagos.

Oloye probably played against some of the J. Berger players. Begs the question of whether there is any extant video of BCC's continental triumphs floating somewhere on the internet. Oga Oloye, if you have any old VHS tapes, please get in touch with whoever uploaded the videos of Ghana winning the Nations Cup, as that person has expertise in digitizing old film technologies. :)

[/video]
I was at the National Stadium for the Nigerian leg. This was actually on my travel date back to the USA. You are correct about the turnout. It was very poor and I was stunned because I was aware of turnouts in the 1980s. At the time people were attributing it to Berger's non-acceptance by the Lagos fans. It was weird as the game was quite pedestrian as I recall it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Seems to me like our club football has not made much progress in 23 years. Poor then, poor now.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Julius Berger was a team poorly supported...they do not have any strong base. If that was Stores or Shooting, the stadium would be parked full.

The likes of Berger could only fill Onikan,even at that they would still struggle to fill the place.

Lagos belong to two teams Stores or NEPA, when NEPA went down, Stores took total control. The likes of Berger were just there,followed by a tiny minority and were seen as just a distraction. Even the few crowds that they gathered in the late 90s were the ones who crossed over when Stores went under.

So do not read much meaning into this.

As for the VHS , in those days if you do not record it from the TV, very unlikely you will find it in the market. Strange even though clubs would bring in their own camera to film their own matches,you will hardly see these tapes in the market.

At BCC we had a camera department who travel with us and record every game,but we just store these tapes and would make copies for whoever wanted one....we never ever tried to market them.

Mind you though up till mid and late 90s most homes were yet to own video recorder/players...having one of these gadgets was still a seen as a status symbol,but looking back now I cannot help but wonder why football clubs like ours did not partake in the sales of recorded programs with the take off of Bollywood.

As for videos of BCC continental matches, I believe I once saw the final of 1991 Mandela cup,the second leg against Club African on YouTube some years ago.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I remember the 95 finals, one Beger player passed away while playing maybe during the semis or qfinals.. Berger had a good run , until they moved to Abeokuta
.Stores was Lagos...I do recall when Zamalek played Stores and Amunike showed us pepper. NEPA of Lagos was a whopping boys of the city, but Super Stores was the heart and Life of Eko...they pulled and pulled crowd...nah issues beyond the fans wey scatter that power house...super stores..formerly stationary stores FC.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Bigpokey24 wrote:I remember the 95 finals, one Beger player passed away while playing maybe during the semis or qfinals.. Berger had a good run , until they moved to Abeokuta
.Stores was Lagos...I do recall when Zamalek played Stores and Amunike showed us pepper. NEPA of Lagos was a whopping boys of the city, but Super Stores was the heart and Life of Eko...they pulled and pulled crowd...nah issues beyond the fans wey scatter that power house...super stores..formerly stationary stores FC.
Stationery, not Stationary.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Bigpokey24 wrote:I remember the 95 finals, one Beger player passed away while playing maybe during the semis or qfinals.. Berger had a good run , until they moved to Abeokuta
It was during the semi finals...Amir Angwe,my former colleague and friend at BCC.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Stationery, not Stationary.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

oloye wrote:
It was during the semi finals...Amir Angwe,my former colleague and friend at BCC.
Yes Amir....that took a lot from them to finish the tournament...RIP... he was a very good player...I followed Berger since all the Lagos clubs were gone.....First Bank was still there , but they were in the lower tiers..some games were on TV too..those days the league was lit... then you had the radio shows..Larry izamoje..bournvita sports special....etc...I wish the league never caved in..when. the popularity of the Epl came , the league was dead
SuperEagles

The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

oloye wrote:As for videos of BCC continental matches, I believe I once saw the final of 1991 Mandela cup,the second leg against Club African on YouTube some years ago.
And I bet the clip commentary was in Arabic. :)

Not so long ago that you could only watch a Nigerian team (club or international) live streaming on the internet if they were playing a North African team.

I've found an Algerian video of Setif beating Nationale 4-0 in the second leg of the 1988 Champions Cup final, but (so far) no Nigerian video of the first leg which was a 1-0 win for Nationale. I am not going to post the video though. :lol: What a year .... Eagles lose to Cameroun in the Nations Cup final .... Nationale lose to Setif in the Champions Cup final .... Ranchers Bees lose to Club Africain in the CWC final .... and the less said about the 1988 Olympics the better.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

oloye wrote:Julius Berger was a team poorly supported...they do not have any strong base. If that was Stores or Shooting, the stadium would be parked full.

The likes of Berger could only fill Onikan,even at that they would still struggle to fill the place.

Lagos belong to two teams Stores or NEPA, when NEPA went down, Stores took total control. The likes of Berger were just there,followed by a tiny minority and were seen as just a distraction. Even the few crowds that they gathered in the late 90s were the ones who crossed over when Stores went under.

So do not read much meaning into this.

As for the VHS , in those days if you do not record it from the TV, very unlikely you will find it in the market. Strange even though clubs would bring in their own camera to film their own matches,you will hardly see these tapes in the market.

At BCC we had a camera department who travel with us and record every game,but we just store these tapes and would make copies for whoever wanted one....we never ever tried to market them.

Mind you though up till mid and late 90s most homes were yet to own video recorder/players...having one of these gadgets was still a seen as a status symbol,but looking back now I cannot help but wonder why football clubs like ours did not partake in the sales of recorded programs with the take off of Bollywood.

As for videos of BCC continental matches, I believe I once saw the final of 1991 Mandela cup,the second leg against Club African on YouTube some years ago.
Berger (the Idama boys) were seen as 'Aristos' so not followed by the 'masses'.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Adewale Bridge Boys
SuperEagles