It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:He has answered every single criticism thrown at him on CE like say him dey here.
What are we expecting in this 'future' that he is talking about? A SF at the ANC? Or WC 2nd round in 2022?

That he is PROUD of the performance at the WC says it all!
Yes, like a manager should come out and say he is "ASHAMED" of his players' performance.
You'd make a GREAT manager! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Since he was PROUD of the performance (result is in line with performance), he must have thrown a party for a first round exit. He is in the same category as Pa Onigbinde!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You don’t sack a coach for losing a game you sack him for failing to meet his targets. If rohr fails to qualify for ANC then he should be sacked
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

wanaj0 wrote:
john12 wrote:I will say it as-Infinitum you crooks, clowns are mentally demented, unstable and outright crazy to believe that rohr deserve termination 3 years after being in charge for failing to defeat Argentina and Croatia, teams with superior talents than us. Please, Spare me that inferiority complex because players are judged by the caliber of teams they play for, individual performances and trophies won. So if Croatia and Argentina has most of its players at the best clubs in the world while most of ours are at backwater leagues then how do you terminate a coach for losing to them? There’s a reason why most neutral predicted our non-qualification from the group and this isn’t because of race, color or creed but because of overall talent. To me, rohr has done a great job domestically for easing his way through WCQ and decent job Internationally for even Beating Iceland and in order to achieve anything meaningful, you need time, consistency, support, familiarity to achieve such results and like I have always told you guys for Nigeria to perform outstandingly at WC (black team) we need quality PLAYERS at Quality TEAMS winning Quality TROPHIES anything contrary and you’re wasting your time. Right now, most of our best players are at backwater leagues at China, Saudi, Turkey but when we’re grouped against World class teams we will expect coach or rondo magic
We should have sacked him for losing at HOME to RSA. You can come out now with your excuse of how RSA is better ranked and have better players in better leagues.
:lol: :lol: You dey mind the loser talk?

Fans actually being complicit in lowering expectations for the National Team.

Damn Shame if you ask me © Robbynice.

Dude has ZERO excuses for the pitiful display and results at the World Cup. The sad thing is that the outcome of two of the games were as a result of pisspoor coaching. His opening game against Croatia and his last game against Argentina. A game if he had any coaching acumen he would have gotten a result in. He is a football COWARD.

Don't get me started about losing to South Africa at home. A team we could assemble a bunch of "HeyYous" and gotten a result against.

This is a Super Eagles fan site. Accepting mediocrity because bobo na oyibo should be reserved for Ghanaians not Naija.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

pitiful display at the World Cup?? My friend you need your eyes re-examined. Do you know that our best player prior to the World Cup was OBI MIKEL at China league while Argentina had Messi and Croatia had modric. We weren’t pitiful at all just lost to 2 better teams. It wasn’t ROhR fault that China based players failed to capitalize on their chances while Man utd players scored their own
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

joao wrote:All these arguments and pontifications, as if winning in football is an exact science.
In case we forget, team sports is different from individual's. Success in team sports
requires many indices to line up correctly. One error could undermined all carefully
made plans.
BTW, this is why I still believe Nigeria should groom and hire indigenous coaches,
give the individual the same support and latitude as we give the foreign coach, and
keep trying till we find the right person.
We generally know what to do, but politics and self hatred keep making us run around
looking for quick fixes with no guarantees
:bump: :agree: :agree:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:He has answered every single criticism thrown at him on CE like say him dey here.
What are we expecting in this 'future' that he is talking about? A SF at the ANC? Or WC 2nd round in 2022?

That he is PROUD of the performance at the WC says it all!
Yes, like a manager should come out and say he is "ASHAMED" of his players' performance.
You'd make a GREAT manager! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Since he was PROUD of the performance (result is in line with performance), he must have thrown a party for a first round exit. He is in the same category as Pa Onigbinde!
He actually said he was proud of "the team".
Your recommendation is that he should announce that he is ashamed of them.
Sounds like something out of the Oliseh handbook on man management. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kabalega wrote:
joao wrote:All these arguments and pontifications, as if winning in football is an exact science.
In case we forget, team sports is different from individual's. Success in team sports
requires many indices to line up correctly. One error could undermined all carefully
made plans.
BTW, this is why I still believe Nigeria should groom and hire indigenous coaches,
give the individual the same support and latitude as we give the foreign coach, and
keep trying till we find the right person.

We generally know what to do, but politics and self hatred keep making us run aroundlooking for quick fixes with no guarantees
:b ump: :agree: :agree:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Spot on Joao.

Hiring a local coach should always be the ultimate goal but we deceive ourselves when we suggest that it is solely the NFF that doesn't give them the "support and the latitude" to work.
Nigerian fans are just as bad, if not worse.

The ridicule, disrespect and accusations of corruption our top local coaches have been subjected to (both in life and even death) by far outstrip anything any foreign coach has had to endure.
Is it Pa Onigbinde?
Or Keshi?
Oliseh?
Shuaibu?
Eguavon or Siasia?
Or is it Yusuf that should now come back from investigation and take charge?

Then at the Junior level you have Manu Garba and Emmanuel Amuneke both of whom reached the pinnacle in their age-grade careers only to 'fail' at the next level up and face similar ridicule and disrespect. Manu Garba became persona non grata in an instant. This is someone who was widely touted as the future SE coach.
Discarded after one 'failure' at the U20 WC

So this popular chorus of treating our local coaches fairly should start with the fans. First, we pay lip service to medium and long-term planning and do not have the patience to sit through an uncomfortable development curve. At the first sign of trouble, we sack.
Sack, sack, sack!
Begin again every time.
We are at it again, predictably. And I said it before the WC. Its on record. :D

The stats are there for all to see.....20 coaches in 20 years.
Maybe now even worse.
The numbers don't lie. Yes, there is always an argument at any point in time to sack the coach, but 20 in 20 years? That says more about us as a people than the competence of the coaches.

In such an environment our local coaches stand no chance. All we ever do is go round in circles, but Nigerians being who we are, we only concern ourselves with the here and now and really pay only lip service to the bigger picture. We get caught up in our immediate little circle, completely oblivious to the fact that it is part of a far bigger circle within which we are perambulating.
20 in 20 is stupendously myopic and gives new meaning to the term '20/20 vision'. :lol:

So let's keep on sacking.
Let's keep on pretending we have great local coaches hidden away somewhere that will get us to the SF of the World Cup with the type of "support and latitude" from the NFF currently only given to foreigners.
Let's pretend we won't bring them down the moment they choose players we don't really know or don't like. And let's pretend we won't abuse the hell out of them and call for their sack the moment they drop points to Rwanda, or Libya or for that matter, South Africa.
Let's also pretend there's a queue of world-class coaches begging to take on the SE job and willing to take up residence in Nigeria 46 weeks in a year.
Let's pretend we won't balk at their huge salaries, which the NFF doesn't even have anyway.

In fact, since the grass is forever greener on the other side, lets officially name our long-standing football policy 'ABCC' - Anybody But the Current Coach.
We can add a caveat that we must regularly alternate between the local and the foreign, since that seems to have been the general pattern.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

For him to make such outrageous comment he is proud of of their performance is definitely derision and debasement of the Nigerian fans. He is kind of saying you Africans what are you expecting a miracle with your poor team . The fool never believed in the team or the team has ability to beat any European or South American team. The simpleton lacks the confidence to take SE to the level we fans are aspiring. He wants only to be the king of Africa . Did you see how confident he sounded during last ANC tournament the accolade he was heaping on the team but as soon as the world cup was around he started to sound like a kitty cat cat and shameful coward he really is.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Yet another 'fresh beginning'. I tire! :roll:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Crook bully it’s not ROhR fault that we had lost 10 games at World Cup prior to 2018
Cellular is not ROhR fault that we have lost to Argentina 4 times prior to 2018
Crooks it’s not ROhR fault that most of our best players perform at backwater leagues/clubs while Argentina and Croatia players are all at world class teams. At the end of the day, the man isn’t a miracle worker he will use what’s available at his disposal and until we start producing plethora of world class players, we must humble ourselves
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I have been ambivalent about whether to keep or drop Rohr, but I think it is best for Nigeria to keep him.

We need continuity, and with Rohr while we may all object to one or two of his selections, by in large he gets it about 85% right all of the time. This is much better than the nonsense we got with Keshi and Oliseh. Rohr gave us by far our best WCQ results in the hardest group Nigeria has ever faced.

While I am a little dissapointed with our conservative approach at the WC, we have to be honest with ourselves. We were in the toughest group at the WC.

Croatia and Argentina ARE SUPERIOR to us, there is no way to deny that. Now I do believe we had it in us to qualify from that group, but those teams are 2 of the best teams in the world. That is a fact.

People can wax lyrical about Keshi, but there is no way Keshi would have qualified from that group. NO WAY.

We were unlucky to end up in that group, we were unlucky THAT IGHALO MISSED A SITTER, which would have condemned ARgentina to elimination.

Honestly I think the WC came 1 year early. With the emergence of Onyekuru (he was injured remember) Kalu, Success, Awoniyi, I believe we will have a formidable team and I think we have a very good chance of winning the ANC.

Rohr's teams are very good against African opposition. In fact his teams and style are tailour made to beat AFrican opposition.

I look forward to ANC 2019 and Rohr has done well in his first post WC squad callup.

He has called Nwakali, Kalu, Onyekuru, and brought on a new left back and good riddance has dropped Echijele.

Its a good start we must support the coach and SE. If we keep this continuity I think this team will do some serious damage in 2022. If we just keep chopping coaches we are doomed for a disaster IMO. THis is not the right approach. Is Rohr the perfect coach ? No , but he is pretty good and I dont see any positives from dropping him now for some unknown. Just not worth it at all.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

vancity eagle wrote:I have been ambivalent about whether to keep or drop Rohr, but I think it is best for Nigeria to keep him.

We need continuity, and with Rohr while we may all object to one or two of his selections, by in large he gets it about 85% right all of the time. This is much better than the nonsense we got with Keshi and Oliseh. Rohr gave us by far our best WCQ results in the hardest group Nigeria has ever faced.

While I am a little dissapointed with our conservative approach at the WC, we have to be honest with ourselves. We were in the toughest group at the WC.

Croatia and Argentina ARE SUPERIOR to us, there is no way to deny that. Now I do believe we had it in us to qualify from that group, but those teams are 2 of the best teams in the world. That is a fact.

People can wax lyrical about Keshi, but there is no way Keshi would have qualified from that group. NO WAY.

We were unlucky to end up in that group, we were unlucky THAT IGHALO MISSED A SITTER, which would have condemned ARgentina to elimination.

Honestly I think the WC came 1 year early. With the emergence of Onyekuru (he was injured remember) Kalu, Success, Awoniyi, I believe we will have a formidable team and I think we have a very good chance of winning the ANC.

Rohr's teams are very good against African opposition. In fact his teams and style are tailour made to beat AFrican opposition.

I look forward to ANC 2019 and Rohr has done well in his first post WC squad callup.

He has called Nwakali, Kalu, Onyekuru, and brought on a new left back and good riddance has dropped Echijele.

Its a good start we must support the coach and SE. If we keep this continuity I think this team will do some serious damage in 2022. If we just keep chopping coaches we are doomed for a disaster IMO. THis is not the right approach. Is Rohr the perfect coach ? No , but he is pretty good and I dont see any positives from dropping him now for some unknown. Just not worth it at all.
Do you sincerely think Rohr has anything better than what we saw during the calamitous world cup performance. He is devoid of proficient attributes to make a better team. I m sure what we saw during the world cup is his optimum accomplishment. What pedigree does he have to indicate he will a better coach in future
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

We are still waiting for ROHR's/NFF's Technical report post-2018 world cup (mis-)adventure. Expect self-promoting gibberish.
If all went well, why is he making changes?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

OJI wrote:We are still waiting for ROHR's/NFF's Technical report post-2018 world cup (mis-)adventure. Expect self-promoting gibberish.
Isnt this a self-defeating argument on your part?
Obviously all didnt go well....thats why he is makig changes. Duh?
Isnt that what coaches are supposed to do....make changes - both between games and inside games?

So making changes is now a problem?
I thought the problem was that he didnt make chanes?
Which one nah?

Questions, questions... :taunt:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

If Rohr loses or draws against Seychelles, all the plaudits for continuity will have to take a backseat, because Rohr will be gone. There is a limit to mediocrity and average coaching. I'll give the benefit of doubt and hope we beat Seychelles(like we should) in a convincing manner.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Damunk wrote:
OJI wrote:We are still waiting for ROHR's/NFF's Technical report post-2018 world cup (mis-)adventure. Expect self-promoting gibberish.
Isnt this a self-defeating argument on your part?
Obviously all didnt go well....thats why he is makig changes. Duh?
Isnt that what coaches are supposed to do....make changes - both between games and inside games?

So making changes is now a problem?
I thought the problem was that he didnt make chanes?
Which one nah?

Questions, questions... :taunt:

Please don't hold brief for him. His approach/mentality was supposed to be infallible. We criticized him for not making (personnel/tactical) changes before, and during the world cup , among other items.

After the world cup, team losses were attributed to players' shortcomings/quality/naivete, etc. not his rigid tactics or gamesmanship or cluelessness.

Here you are absolving the coach of his tactical and strategic deficits.

The problem is the fraud of a coach.
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

He sounds like Wenger. It's only by convenience he's still there. What a fu*ken loser.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote:I have been ambivalent about whether to keep or drop Rohr, but I think it is best for Nigeria to keep him.

The unfortunate thing about you is that you one self-hating dude.

You would have fired Rohr on the spot for losing to South Africa at HOME. You denigrate Keshi at every opportunity you get but he achieved more than Rohr could ever dream of and with way less. Rohr had the best preparation ANY coach we have had in the World Cup.

He had a game against Argentina had he had any technical nouse he would have gotten a result. And you, in particular, had it been a local coach you will attribute his shortcomings to the fact he was not good enough at that level. Or worse, call for his death.

Argentina was there for the taking. The team was in shambles and the only game they won at the World Cup was against Naijaria.

Nothing the coach has done from his first game to his last game has shown me that he is a good coach. Maybe a good man manager but not a good coach. He is there because he does not rock the boat. He doesn't complain about being owed and doesn't talk about money in public.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Abeg the hire and fire thing tire me, I'm definitely not sold on Rohr or his coaching principles.. but for the sake of continuity, let him be kept. The next task is that he MUST qualify the team for AFCON, there's no negotiatng that.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote:Abeg the hire and fire thing tire me, I'm definitely not sold on Rohr or his coaching principles.. but for the sake of continuity, let him be kept. The next task is that he MUST qualify the team for AFCON, there's no negotiatng that.
This is the most sensible approach.
At least you are giving him a chance to either redeem himself or bury himself.
Its not as if anybody can even suggest a credible successor.
They just want him out - much like they just want Buhari out - and it doesn't matter that there is nobody they can name waiting to step in and put things right.
We can start scratching head on that one later.
Just get rid of him first.
That's how we roll in Nigeria. :D
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Mr. Damunk,

In other words: one rule for IC another for FC.

Excellent.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:Mr. Damunk,

In other words: one rule for IC another for FC.

Excellent.
"Mr Fabio"
You are arguing with yourself.

They say "You can't change the past but you can change the future."
The past is riddled with corruption, poor decision making and incompetence.
Becos we did it then, you want to continue it now?

So because Keshi and Siasia and Oliseh were dismissed in dubious circumstances and even arguably treated unfairly, you want to continue the trend that has got Nigerian football absolutely nowhere?

Basically, you want to stick with a failed management policy in the name of consistency and "fairness"? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just FYI, Check your CE records:
1. My preference was, is and forever will be a local coach.
But that does not mean I have to be pig-headed about it.

2. I was against the removal/resignation of Keshi, Oliseh and even Siasia because I felt we were going round in circles. Nor be today I dey complain of the 'musical chairs' in the Nigerian coaching dept.

You can stick with your 20/20 'Vision' in the name of consistency. :taunt:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Doc, nothing Rohr has done shows me he is a good coach. He is an excellent man manager but his coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Retaining him for non football considerations is okay but don’t tell us it was or is about the coaching.

It is an effrontery on our collective intelligence to say he was pleased with the performance. He ought to be disappointed with the performance. We don’t go to tournaments to just participate and take home Certificate Of Participation. That’s not who we are.

And we should not be accepting of anyone that lowers our expectations both as individuals and as a country.

The bar should not be set so low.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...