It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pens
Egg
Egg
It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Post by pens »

It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’
By Christian Okpara
27 August 2018 | 4:17 am

http://guardian.ng/sport/its-a-fresh-be ... er-eagles/

The Super Eagles will resume their quest to be at the Cameroun 2019 African Nations Cup when they take on Seychelles in their second match of the qualifying series on September 7. According to the coach of the team, which had a disappointing campaign at the Russia 2018 World Cup, Nigeria is in the process of building a strong team to avoid further disappointments in international championships. Speaking to journalists in Lagos on Friday, Rohr enumerated his plans for the team, including how he wants to make the Super Eagles strong again. CHRISTIAN OKPARA was there.
Nigeria was not among the teams tipped to reach the last stages of the just concluded FIFA World Cup in Russia. Although the Super Eagles were the first African team to qualify for the World Cup, they were deemed too immature and lacking in depth to challenge the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina, England, France, Belgium and Croatia at the global fiesta.

But after the championship, many pundits saw the Eagles as a team for the future because of the exciting young players in the squad. There was the belief in some quarters that the World Cup came too soon for Gernot Rohr’s team, which with only two months to the competition still had no trusted replacement for goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme, who was forced out of the game by illness.

And so when the team came close to beating Argentina to the second round ticket in their last group game in St. Petersburg, it was generally believed that the Super Eagles had a solid base on which to build a strong team. Even at that, some pundits attributed Nigeria’s failure to make the round of 16 in Russia to hard luck, ‘biased’ officiating and naiveté, which was expected of a team rated as the youngest side in the competition.

And now that all that is over, how ready is the Super Eagles to reach the height predicted by followers of Nigerian football? One of the qualities many believe any side hoping to build a strong team must have is players in big clubs and the biggest club competitions in the world.Apart from Chelsea’s Victor Moses, who has retired from the national team, and Alex Iwobi at Arsenal, no Nigerian player is active in any of the big clubs in the world. Pundits point out that when Nigeria had players in almost all the big European clubs, including AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Ajax and Paris St. Germaine, the Super Eagles were rated as the fifth best team in the world. But Rohr is not bothered by the lack of big name players in his squad.

Read More: NFF turns to Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Rohr releases Eagles’ list on Friday

At the weekend in Lagos, Rohr said he has started what he described as the journey to making the Super Eagles a truly great team again.“It is true that we don’t have players in Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool and such other big clubs, but we have young talented players, who will grow into big stars with time. We hope soon they will move to these clubs. We are working for the future and we cannot be the youngest team at the World Cup and still have players in big clubs. It is a gradual process,” he said.

He added that Nigerian players have already started moving up. “Now, we have a player who has moved from Nantes to Porto, another has moved from Perm in Russia to Lokomotiv Moscow. With time more will join bigger clubs,” he said.He revealed that he rejected overtures from many other countries to stick with the Super Eagles because he saw in the squad a future world champion.

Unlike other foreign coaches before him, Rohr who came under scrutiny by victory-mad Nigerians for failing to take the Super Eagles to at least the second round, said, “I decided I want to continue working here in Nigeria. I like the team we have here and the NFF has made the environment very conducive for me, so I don’t see any reason why I should leave now.

“I hope this team will be better in future and it is important to continue the good work we started.”Rohr’s first major task is to qualify Nigeria for the Cameroun 2019 African Nations Cup from a group where the Super Eagles are currently placed third.The Super Eagles lost their first match at home to South Africa and must beat Seychelles next month away from home to resuscitate their hope of being in Cameroun. The Nations Cup is a competition in which Nigeria has failed to qualify for back-to-back editions and some pundits believe that the country should not only aspire to qualify for the competition, but should also aim at winning it. They believe he has the materials to achieve both targets.

During the unveiling of the squad for the qualifier against Seychelles at the weekend, Rohr gave a brief insight into the state of his squad, saying that he, alongside the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), was working to ensure that the best available legs were ready for the tasks ahead.He said, “We tried to help some of our players find new clubs after the World Cup. We could not come back to Nigeria immediately because we have been working on programmes aimed at giving us a good team.

“Some people have criticised our performance in Russia, but I must say that I am proud of our team. Neutral analysts have commended our performance and predicted that we will do well in future competitions because of the average age of the players.”One of the routes Rohr has taken in building his new team is by exposing as many players as possible to international football through friendly matches.He revealed, “We want to play against Saudi Arabia on September 11 to try new players and also see some of the old players who are still relevant to our aspirations.

“Most of our players are changing clubs and we want to help them to settle down in their new environments.“Recently, we discussed with Charleroi of Belgium about Victor Osimhen and they have taken him on loan. We want all our players to be active in their clubs because that is the only way they will be match fit when we need them. We spend only three or four days with the players on average, which doesn’t give us the time to work on fitness and psychology, so we want the players to be active in their clubs.

“We are happy that Francis Uzoho has a new club in Elche of Spain and we hope playing regularly will help his reflexes.” Rohr regrets the crisis in Nigerian football that caused the league to be shut down for more than six weeks, saying it has denied him the opportunity to see the home-based players.Goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa is the only home-based player in the national team because he was in the squad to the World Cup and also his club, Enyimba have been active in the CAF Confederation Cup.

“The league’s suspension is not good for the U-23 team and the CHAN squad, which are supposed to be preparing for their qualifiers. We hope the league will resume soon, but we have also spread our net to other countries.”He revealed that former Super Eagles number one goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme has started working for the team in Europe and will join the squad after the game against Seychelles.

“Ikeme is working on some young goalkeepers in England. He has identified one, who has all the qualities we need in a goalkeeper. “We are also looking at a young goalkeeper known as Sebastian in the Switzerland second division. For the game against Seychelles we have invited some young stars, Jamiu Collins, who plays in the German Bundesliga 2, and Semiu Ajayi of Rotterdam in the English Championship,” Rohr said.

With the rebuilding currently on-going in the Eagles, some of the older players may have played their last games for Nigeria. According to Rohr, some, like Odion Ighalo and Ogenyi Onazi are currently on the last chance salon and may not get another opportunity if they failed to prove in the next two games that they are still relevant in the team.

“I want to give Odion Ighalo the opportunity to prove that he can still score for Nigeria. After a bad World Cup, people expected me to drop him from the team, but since he is still active I want to see if he can do the job for us.“There are so many young strikers waiting in the wings, including Simi, who did not get enough chance to prove his worth in Russia.

“There are also Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Henry Onyekuru, who is on loan at Galatasaray. Onyekuru can play from the middle or from the wings. He can dribble and possesses amazing speed. “There is also Samuel Kalu, a young striker playing for Bordeaux, who under Thierry Henry will learn how to use his speed and dribbles to maximum effect.”
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I Rohr we trust!!! :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Dis guy is still "club dropping"..
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Whatever...
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

He has answered every single criticism thrown at him on CE like say him dey here.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Based on the article and the statements attributed to coach Rohr, certainly things are looking good for us. I hope they all materialize for our team.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Here he goes again with excuses . When does the future start? Here he claims we have young stars who will grow to become superstars later. Hence the next tournament when he fails he will claim he still building the team, they are not Super stars because they are not playing witn Real Madrid and Barcelona yet . The angel* is trying to bamboozle Nigerians with plethora of stupid reasons. Please the inept and fleckless man should admit he is absolutely devoid of what it takes to reach the next level. He still wants to bring back Ighalo so he did not see enough. Here we go with his stupid allegiance to certain players, Definitely he lacks the temerity to act swiftly . Watch him invite all these promising young players but will never give them a chance to prove themselves. He will resort to lack of experience and not playing Europe elite teams.
The man is absolutely a fake human being needs to ignominiously sacked and should not be allowed to hoodwinked Nigerian fans anymore. His attitude and failure to adjust in Argentina match are more than enough to kick him to the curbs. Enough of his nonsense
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bully12 wrote:Here he goes again with excuses . When does the future start? Here he claims we have young stars who will grow to become superstars later. Hence the next tournament when he fails he will claim he still building the team, they are not Super stars because they are not playing witn Real Madrid and Barcelona yet . The angel* is trying to bamboozle Nigerians with plethora of stupid reasons. Please the inept and fleckless man should admit he is absolutely devoid of what it takes to reach the next level. He still wants to bring back Ighalo so he did not see enough. Here we go with his stupid allegiance to certain players, Definitely he lacks the temerity to act swiftly . Watch him invite all these promising young players but will never give them a chance to prove themselves. He will resort to lack of experience and not playing Europe elite teams.
The man is absolutely a fake human being needs to ignominiously sacked and should not be allowed to hoodwinked Nigerian fans anymore. His attitude and failure to adjust in Argentina match are more than enough to kick him to the curbs. Enough of his nonsense
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OK.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:He has answered every single criticism thrown at him on CE like say him dey here.
What exactly has he answered?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

But after the championship, many pundits saw the Eagles as a team for the future because of the exciting young players in the squad. There was the belief in some quarters that the World Cup came too soon for Gernot Rohr’s team, which with only two months to the competition still had no trusted replacement for goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme, who was forced out of the game by illness.
Too early for the team? No be the same team that qualified?
Even at that, some pundits attributed Nigeria’s failure to make the round of 16 in Russia to hard luck, ‘biased’ officiating and naiveté, which was expected of a team rated as the youngest side in the competition.
not the N word again (naiveté,) blame the players not the coach.
Pundits point out that when Nigeria had players in almost all the big European clubs, including AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Ajax and Paris St. Germaine, the Super Eagles were rated as the fifth best team in the world.
False. Most moved after the WC, not before. People should stop trying to re-write history.
“Some people have criticised our performance in Russia, but I must say that I am proud of our team. Neutral analysts have commended our performance and predicted that we will do well in future competitions because of the average age of the players.”
We will do very in the future because of the age of players! excellent.
Rohr regrets the crisis in Nigerian football that caused the league to be shut down for more than six weeks, saying it has denied him the opportunity to see the home-based players.
... When the league was active, you were in Europe. Another excellent excuse.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:He has answered every single criticism thrown at him on CE like say him dey here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please, ask di Doc. :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Naijarians sha.

In 2010, Largerback was hired to avoid being disgraced. Goal achieved.
2018, Rohr is hired to use the World Cup to gain experience. Goal achieved.

Why do we set the bar so low?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
What hasn't he?
Did you ask him why he hasn't resigned?
You want him to answer queshon wey dem no ask am.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: What hasn't he?
Did you ask him why he hasn't resigned?
You want him to answer queshon wey dem no ask am.
Please kindly point to 'every single criticism' he has answered.

Thanks!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

What are we expecting in this 'future' that he is talking about? A SF at the ANC? Or WC 2nd round in 2022?

That he is PROUD of the performance at the WC says it all!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

wanaj0 wrote:
What are we expecting in this 'future' that he is talking about? A SF at the ANC? Or WC 2nd round in 2022?

You are expecting too much from a young team.

We have to give it to Rohr, he is not afraid of African teams. When it's a non-African team, we start hearing about clubs, age, experience etc.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:

Yes, like a manager should come out and say he is "ASHAMED" of his players' performance.
You'd make a GREAT manager! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

Yes, like a manager should come out and say he is "ASHAMED" of his players' performance.
You'd make a GREAT manager! :lol: :lol: :lol:
He should be DISAPPOINTED with their performance.

There's nothing to be proud about regarding our performance. With all the acrimony and sabotage, the last guy who went to the WC got out of a very difficult group where he was also the lowest ranked team (had 3 teams better than him according to FIFA ranking).

The natives are applauding a team that FAILED. A team that had the BEST preparation we have ever had.

A team, an inexperienced coach told them and the world that it is the TEAM not him going to the World Cup to gain experience... and they believed him because he was oyibo.

When he pulled the abominable feat of losing to South Africa at home, they made excuses for him... telling us to wait for the World Cup. He went there to gain experience... Mtcheeeeeew. :? :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I will say it as-Infinitum you crooks, clowns are mentally demented, unstable and outright crazy to believe that rohr deserve termination 3 years after being in charge for failing to defeat Argentina and Croatia, teams with superior talents than us. Please, Spare me that inferiority complex because players are judged by the caliber of teams they play for, individual performances and trophies won. So if Croatia and Argentina has most of its players at the best clubs in the world while most of ours are at backwater leagues then how do you terminate a coach for losing to them? There’s a reason why most neutral predicted our non-qualification from the group and this isn’t because of race, color or creed but because of overall talent. To me, rohr has done a great job domestically for easing his way through WCQ and decent job Internationally for even Beating Iceland and in order to achieve anything meaningful, you need time, consistency, support, familiarity to achieve such results and like I have always told you guys for Nigeria to perform outstandingly at WC (black team) we need quality PLAYERS at Quality TEAMS winning Quality TROPHIES anything contrary and you’re wasting your time. Right now, most of our best players are at backwater leagues at China, Saudi, Turkey but when we’re grouped against World class teams we will expect coach or rondo magic
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

All these arguments and pontifications, as if winning in football is an exact science.
In case we forget, team sports is different from individual's. Success in team sports
requires many indices to line up correctly. One error could undermined all carefully
made plans.
BTW, this is why I still believe Nigeria should groom and hire indigenous coaches,
give the individual the same support and latitude as we give the foreign coach, and
keep trying till we find the right person.
We generally know what to do, but politics and self hatred keep making us run around
looking for quick fixes with no guarantees.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

fabio wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Na wah for una sef!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Assuming Nigeria qualifies for the next World Cup and the coach is still in charge what should be his ojective? Simply to make out of the group then lose and come home? I would be very very upset if that were to happen and I don’t care who is in our group
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

john12 wrote:I will say it as-Infinitum you crooks, clowns are mentally demented, unstable and outright crazy to believe that rohr deserve termination 3 years after being in charge for failing to defeat Argentina and Croatia, teams with superior talents than us. Please, Spare me that inferiority complex because players are judged by the caliber of teams they play for, individual performances and trophies won. So if Croatia and Argentina has most of its players at the best clubs in the world while most of ours are at backwater leagues then how do you terminate a coach for losing to them? There’s a reason why most neutral predicted our non-qualification from the group and this isn’t because of race, color or creed but because of overall talent. To me, rohr has done a great job domestically for easing his way through WCQ and decent job Internationally for even Beating Iceland and in order to achieve anything meaningful, you need time, consistency, support, familiarity to achieve such results and like I have always told you guys for Nigeria to perform outstandingly at WC (black team) we need quality PLAYERS at Quality TEAMS winning Quality TROPHIES anything contrary and you’re wasting your time. Right now, most of our best players are at backwater leagues at China, Saudi, Turkey but when we’re grouped against World class teams we will expect coach or rondo magic
We should have sacked him for losing at HOME to RSA. You can come out now with your excuse of how RSA is better ranked and have better players in better leagues.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”