It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Abeg the hire and fire thing tire me, I'm definitely not sold on Rohr or his coaching principles.. but for the sake of continuity, let him be kept. The next task is that he MUST qualify the team for AFCON, there's no negotiatng that.
This is the most sensible approach.
At least you are giving him a chance to either redeem himself or bury himself.
Its not as if anybody can even suggest a credible successor.
They just want him out - much like they just want Buhari out - and it doesn't matter that there is nobody they can name waiting to step in and put things right.
We can start scratching head on that one later.
Just get rid of him first.
That's how we roll in Nigeria. :D
What will make him to deserve a sack? So we are stuck with him because of 'CONTINUITY' not necessarily because of 'PERFORMANCE'?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Cellular wrote:Doc, nothing Rohr has done shows me he is a good coach. He is an excellent man manager but his coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Retaining him for non football considerations is okay but don’t tell us it was or is about the coaching.

It is an effrontery on our collective intelligence to say he was pleased with the performance. He ought to be disappointed with the performance. We don’t go to tournaments to just participate and take home Certificate Of Participation. That’s not who we are.

And we should not be accepting of anyone that lowers our expectations both as individuals and as a country.

The bar should not be set so low.
We saw improvement in terms of approach, we have been unlucky with the result but atleast we can see plans, more professionalism, I think we need one more tournament
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Abeg the hire and fire thing tire me, I'm definitely not sold on Rohr or his coaching principles.. but for the sake of continuity, let him be kept. The next task is that he MUST qualify the team for AFCON, there's no negotiatng that.
They just want him out - much like they just want Buhari out - and it doesn't matter that there is nobody they can name waiting to step in and put things right.
What will make him to deserve a sack? So we are stuck with him because of 'CONTINUITY' not necessarily because of 'PERFORMANCE'?
Like you were sacked after your first major fokkop at work abi?
Oh please. :roll:

Greater and far more experienced footballing nations don't dispose of their national team managers the way we do.
Continuity might mean nothing to you as a typical Nigerian but it does to others. For many Nigerians, it seems its all about instant gratification and subjective 'performance'.

Rohr has been on the job for about two years. Up until July 2018 he was deemed more than competent by most. Qualified in flying colors from a group even the most optimistic of analysts thought would be a struggle. Then three weeks of failure on the world stage with the world's very best is enough for Nigerians to dispose of him - because Argentina and Croatia came to the WC to "sell grannut."

His 'performance' should firstly be seen in its entirety and secondly not as the sole criterion. Its the same knee-jerk reaction that got us sacking Siasia, Keshi and saying "good riddance" to Oliseh.

But why am I even wasting my breath? Aren't you the same Wanaj0 that forever sings the praises of a former state Governor that chopped his state's resources dry but by your own subjective criteria he 'performed'?

'Performance' can and should never be the sole yardstick, esp when you have a people that are hopelessly hooked on instant results and do not have a tradition of working hard towards medium and long-term goals.

Like I said, y'all can keep your 20/20 'vision' - aka blindness - and let us hear word.
For now, he isn't going anywhere. Deal with it.
I'm out. :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prince wrote:
Cellular wrote:Doc, nothing Rohr has done shows me he is a good coach. He is an excellent man manager but his coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Retaining him for non football considerations is okay but don’t tell us it was or is about the coaching.

It is an effrontery on our collective intelligence to say he was pleased with the performance. He ought to be disappointed with the performance. We don’t go to tournaments to just participate and take home Certificate Of Participation. That’s not who we are.

And we should not be accepting of anyone that lowers our expectations both as individuals and as a country.

We saw improvement in terms of approach, we have been unlucky with the result but atleast we can see plans, more professionalism, I think we need one more tournament
No o!
Nigerians must discard all of that and begin again.
And it doesn't matter that there is absolutely nobody in sight to replace him.
Just sack him.
NOW pls! :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, what does a good coach do that Rohr has not done with the Super Eagles? Were you seriously expecting Uzoho, Balogun, Ekong, Musa, Iheanacho, Mikel, Etebo, Ighlao and the other fringe players Nigeria had at the WC to beat the World cup finalist? And these are our best players available, period. If anything, he got the players punching above their weight because they made the games against Argentina and Croatia competitive .There are no 10 Okochas playing under any Ikoyi bridge. We are an average team, period.
Last edited by 1naija on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote:
Uncle, what does a good coach do that Rohr has not done with the Super Eagles? Were you seriously expecting Uzoho, Balogun, Ekong, Musa, Iheanacho, Mikel, Etebo, Ighlao and the other fringe players Nigeria had at the WC beat the World cup finalist? And these are our best players available, period. If anything, he got the players punching above their weight because they made the games against Argentina and Croatia competitive .There are no 10 Okochas playing under any Ikoyi bridge. We are an average team, period.
Keshi, took an average team, led by Yobo to the WC second round.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:
Uncle, what does a good coach do that Rohr has not done with the Super Eagles? Were you seriously expecting Uzoho, Balogun, Ekong, Musa, Iheanacho, Mikel, Etebo, Ighlao and the other fringe players Nigeria had at the WC beat the World cup finalist? And these are our best players available, period. If anything, he got the players punching above their weight because they made the games against Argentina and Croatia competitive .There are no 10 Okochas playing under any Ikoyi bridge. We are an average team, period.
With one win against Bosnia in a group comprising of Mighty Iran, top 10 Bosnia, and Argentina!

Yobo was a World class player!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:
fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:
With one win against Bosnia in a group comprising of Mighty Iran, top 10 Bosnia, and Argentina!

No need to downplay Keshi's accomplishment he got a win and a draw something Rohr couldn't do. The Argentina then was better than this last one with Messi firing on all cylinders and they won all their games in the group stages and got to the Final. They did the 2018 Croatia, Argentina in 2018 were at the level of Bosnia then and worse was they were in disarray with in fighting and a misfiring Messi. All we needed was a draw against them (same thing a hapless Iceland got against them) and we were 5 minutes away and Rohr refused to make changes to a tiring team that was defending most of the game. Instead he made attacking subs which he can be blamed for, just like he messed up the formation in our first game and had to change it around in the next 2 games. Lets not act like he's without flaw...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Stop lying Argentina isn’t and wasn’t on the level of Bosnia. Mind you, Nigeria had lost to Argentina 4 times prior to 2018 and in addition to it, they even dropped “icardi” one of the top scorers in Seria A. I believe that pound for pound, Argentina are Stronger. Team wise, Argentina are stronger and in addition to it, there is Messi. We should aspire, hope and believe that’s we can defeat anyteam however, we must stay humble because we’re just an average/below average team. It was even a testament to ROhR tactics that we even performed good against Argentina as in we really Could had won because in the last 4 meetings against them Our goalie was the savior
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
joao wrote:All these arguments and pontifications, as if winning in football is an exact science.
In case we forget, team sports is different from individual's. Success in team sports
requires many indices to line up correctly. One error could undermined all carefully
made plans.
BTW, this is why I still believe Nigeria should groom and hire indigenous coaches,
give the individual the same support and latitude as we give the foreign coach, and
keep trying till we find the right person.

We generally know what to do, but politics and self hatred keep making us run aroundlooking for quick fixes with no guarantees
:b ump: :agree: :agree:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Spot on Joao.

Hiring a local coach should always be the ultimate goal but we deceive ourselves when we suggest that it is solely the NFF that doesn't give them the "support and the latitude" to work.
Nigerian fans are just as bad, if not worse.

The ridicule, disrespect and accusations of corruption our top local coaches have been subjected to (both in life and even death) by far outstrip anything any foreign coach has had to endure.
Is it Pa Onigbinde?
Or Keshi?
Oliseh?
Shuaibu?
Eguavon or Siasia?
Or is it Yusuf that should now come back from investigation and take charge?

Then at the Junior level you have Manu Garba and Emmanuel Amuneke both of whom reached the pinnacle in their age-grade careers only to 'fail' at the next level up and face similar ridicule and disrespect. Manu Garba became persona non grata in an instant. This is someone who was widely touted as the future SE coach.
Discarded after one 'failure' at the U20 WC

So this popular chorus of treating our local coaches fairly should start with the fans. First, we pay lip service to medium and long-term planning and do not have the patience to sit through an uncomfortable development curve. At the first sign of trouble, we sack.
Sack, sack, sack!
Begin again every time.
We are at it again, predictably. And I said it before the WC. Its on record. :D

The stats are there for all to see.....20 coaches in 20 years.
Maybe now even worse.
The numbers don't lie. Yes, there is always an argument at any point in time to sack the coach, but 20 in 20 years? That says more about us as a people than the competence of the coaches.

In such an environment our local coaches stand no chance. All we ever do is go round in circles, but Nigerians being who we are, we only concern ourselves with the here and now and really pay only lip service to the bigger picture. We get caught up in our immediate little circle, completely oblivious to the fact that it is part of a far bigger circle within which we are perambulating.
20 in 20 is stupendously myopic and gives new meaning to the term '20/20 vision'. :lol:

So let's keep on sacking.
Let's keep on pretending we have great local coaches hidden away somewhere that will get us to the SF of the World Cup with the type of "support and latitude" from the NFF currently only given to foreigners.
Let's pretend we won't bring them down the moment they choose players we don't really know or don't like. And let's pretend we won't abuse the hell out of them and call for their sack the moment they drop points to Rwanda, or Libya or for that matter, South Africa.
Let's also pretend there's a queue of world-class coaches begging to take on the SE job and willing to take up residence in Nigeria 46 weeks in a year.
Let's pretend we won't balk at their huge salaries, which the NFF doesn't even have anyway.

In fact, since the grass is forever greener on the other side, lets officially name our long-standing football policy 'ABCC' - Anybody But the Current Coach.
We can add a caveat that we must regularly alternate between the local and the foreign, since that seems to have been the general pattern.
Take a bow. :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:

No need to downplay Keshi's accomplishment he got a win and a draw something Rohr couldn't do. The Argentina then was better than this last one with Messi firing on all cylinders and they won all their games in the group stages and got to the Final. They did the 2018 Croatia, Argentina in 2018 were at the level of Bosnia then and worse was they were in disarray with in fighting and a misfiring Messi. All we needed was a draw against them (same thing a hapless Iceland got against them) and we were 5 minutes away and Rohr refused to make changes to a tiring team that was defending most of the game. Instead he made attacking subs which he can be blamed for, just like he messed up the formation in our first game and had to change it around in the next 2 games. Lets not act like he's without flaw...
Which we could have gotten if we took our glaring chances. His set up was fine and we almost pulled it off. Firing him is asinine. Let him continue and as long as there are signs of progress he should be retained. You do not have to win a tournament to show sign of progress. We were disappointing at the world cup, but i have seen enough improvement with the team over the last couple of year to give the man a chance to continue his good work.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:I have been ambivalent about whether to keep or drop Rohr, but I think it is best for Nigeria to keep him.

We need continuity, and with Rohr while we may all object to one or two of his selections, by in large he gets it about 85% right all of the time. This is much better than the nonsense we got with Keshi and Oliseh. Rohr gave us by far our best WCQ results in the hardest group Nigeria has ever faced.

While I am a little dissapointed with our conservative approach at the WC, we have to be honest with ourselves. We were in the toughest group at the WC.

Croatia and Argentina ARE SUPERIOR to us, there is no way to deny that. Now I do believe we had it in us to qualify from that group, but those teams are 2 of the best teams in the world. That is a fact.

People can wax lyrical about Keshi, but there is no way Keshi would have qualified from that group. NO WAY.

We were unlucky to end up in that group, we were unlucky THAT IGHALO MISSED A SITTER, which would have condemned ARgentina to elimination.

Honestly I think the WC came 1 year early. With the emergence of Onyekuru (he was injured remember) Kalu, Success, Awoniyi, I believe we will have a formidable team and I think we have a very good chance of winning the ANC.

Rohr's teams are very good against African opposition. In fact his teams and style are tailour made to beat AFrican opposition.

I look forward to ANC 2019 and Rohr has done well in his first post WC squad callup.

He has called Nwakali, Kalu, Onyekuru, and brought on a new left back and good riddance has dropped Echijele.

Its a good start we must support the coach and SE. If we keep this continuity I think this team will do some serious damage in 2022. If we just keep chopping coaches we are doomed for a disaster IMO. THis is not the right approach. Is Rohr the perfect coach ? No , but he is pretty good and I dont see any positives from dropping him now for some unknown. Just not worth it at all.
The unfortunate thing about you is that you one self-hating dude.

You would have fired Rohr on the spot for losing to South Africa at HOME. You denigrate Keshi at every opportunity you get but he achieved more than Rohr could ever dream of and with way less. Rohr had the best preparation ANY coach we have had in the World Cup.

He had a game against Argentina had he had any technical nouse he would have gotten a result. And you, in particular, had it been a local coach you will attribute his shortcomings to the fact he was not good enough at that level. Or worse, call for his death.

Argentina was there for the taking. The team was in shambles and the only game they won at the World Cup was against Naijaria.

Nothing the coach has done from his first game to his last game has shown me that he is a good coach. Maybe a good man manager but not a good coach. He is there because he does not rock the boat. He doesn't complain about being owed and doesn't talk about money in public.

you can talk all that self hate nonsense, but I was one of the only voices saying that SiaSia should not be fired after he lost at home to Guinea condemning us to our first ANC miss in decades.

The reason was because SSS was in the process of building something great, and just wrecking it and starting again was not the right way.

The reason I advocated for Keshi to be sacked is because he was quite evidently CORRUPTED calling up all manner of junks to the team, and even though we won in 2013 it ended up comming to bite us in the behind in the end, like I predicted it would. Not to mention Keshi's teams consistently played garbage football for most of his tenure. Rohr's team has never ONCE played poorly even in defeat. Even the South Africa defeat, we completely outplayed that team, and it was an unfortunate loss.

There is a difference between playing well and losing, and playing like crap and losing. Remember that Keshi also failed to beat Kenya at home, lost against Sudan, and lost at home to Congo. His record was piss poor. When Rohr's team starts to have those kind of results I will call for his sack.

When Rohr starts calling up homebased junk to the squad, players like Gambo (now playing in India) then I will also call for his sack.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So topping the AFrican world cup qualifying group of death, with 3 former AFrican champs, the current African champ, and the other African team to make the 2014 WC 2nd round, with ONE GAME TO SPARE, is not the sign of a good coach.

We qualified with such ease that we even threw away 3 points by fielding an ineligable player and it didn't even mattter.

You guys are so full of you know what. I guess a garbage coach gets those kind of results right.

No Nigerian coach EVER, even Clemens Westerhoff, has ever qualified Nigeria to the WC with such ease and manhandling that quality of opposition, even defeating the AFrican champs 4-0.

What Rohr did was unprecedented, and will probably never ever be repeated again.

The man has earned the right to take us to 2019 ANC. We will see how we do and can re evaluate from there.

Just firing him and replacing him with god knows who, would be just about the dumbest thing we could do.

People forget that we have missed 2 straight ANC's and Nigerian football was at an all time low, and Rohr brought us out of the gutter.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:

Yes, and he had a much weaker group.

Iran and Bosnia were 2 of the weakest teams at that WC, even at that Keshi failed to beat Iran and we got lucky against Bosnia, as the ref dissalowed a legitimate goal of theirs.

Are you seriously so daft that you are going to compare Iran and Bosnia to Croatia and Iceland ?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:
fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:

Yes, and he had a much weaker group.

Iran and Bosnia were 2 of the weakest teams at that WC, even at that Keshi failed to beat Iran and we got lucky against Bosnia, as the ref dissalowed a legitimate goal of theirs.

Are you seriously so daft that you are going to compare Iran and Bosnia to Croatia and Iceland ?
No. I am comparing Second Round to First Round exit... only after the facts.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:
No Nigerian coach EVER, even Clemens Westerhoff, has ever qualified Nigeria to the WC with such ease and manhandling that quality of opposition, even defeating the AFrican champs 4-0.

What Rohr did was unprecedented, and will probably never ever be repeated again.
Nigeria has qualified for France'98 with ease. In fact we were the first country to qualify for France'98.. and only dropped point in the last and meaningless match.

If you didn't know or too young to know, ask your elders instead or consult the record books.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:
fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:

Which we could have gotten if we took our glaring chances. His set up was fine and we almost pulled it off. Firing him is asinine. Let him continue and as long as there are signs of progress he should be retained. You do not have to win a tournament to show sign of progress. We were disappointing at the world cup, but i have seen enough improvement with the team over the last couple of year to give the man a chance to continue his good work.
I'm not on the side of firing him, just hate that we have to put a legend down who actually achieved his goals just to hype someone who actually failed in theirs. Let him continue, but lets not act like he's without flaws. For example yes Ighalo let us down, but why was he in the game to begin with? Why didn't Rohr first focus on shutting down the defense? Its like he was trying to keep his pre-game promise that he would beat Argentina instead of just getting the result he needed. Put more bodies behind the ball, remove tired defenders and we also could have gotten the desired result.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Cellular wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
john12 wrote:I will say it as-Infinitum you crooks, clowns are mentally demented, unstable and outright crazy to believe that rohr deserve termination 3 years after being in charge for failing to defeat Argentina and Croatia, teams with superior talents than us. Please, Spare me that inferiority complex because players are judged by the caliber of teams they play for, individual performances and trophies won. So if Croatia and Argentina has most of its players at the best clubs in the world while most of ours are at backwater leagues then how do you terminate a coach for losing to them? There’s a reason why most neutral predicted our non-qualification from the group and this isn’t because of race, color or creed but because of overall talent. To me, rohr has done a great job domestically for easing his way through WCQ and decent job Internationally for even Beating Iceland and in order to achieve anything meaningful, you need time, consistency, support, familiarity to achieve such results and like I have always told you guys for Nigeria to perform outstandingly at WC (black team) we need quality PLAYERS at Quality TEAMS winning Quality TROPHIES anything contrary and you’re wasting your time. Right now, most of our best players are at backwater leagues at China, Saudi, Turkey but when we’re grouped against World class teams we will expect coach or rondo magic
We should have sacked him for losing at HOME to RSA. You can come out now with your excuse of how RSA is better ranked and have better players in better leagues.
:lol: :lol: You dey mind the loser talk?

Fans actually being complicit in lowering expectations for the National Team.

Damn Shame if you ask me © Robbynice.

Dude has ZERO excuses for the pitiful display and results at the World Cup. The sad thing is that the outcome of two of the games were as a result of pisspoor coaching. His opening game against Croatia and his last game against Argentina. A game if he had any coaching acumen he would have gotten a result in. He is a football COWARD.

Don't get me started about losing to South Africa at home. A team we could assemble a bunch of "HeyYous" and gotten a result against.

This is a Super Eagles fan site. Accepting mediocrity because bobo na oyibo should be reserved for Ghanaians not Naija.
The loss to Croatia still pains me even now. There was never a time I thought we won't beat Croatia. Worst still, Argentina has always beaten us and nothing was done to ensure we beat them, even when we knew we need to have victory in order to advave. Having said the above, I don't thing coach Rohr should be fired; at least, not now.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
It is the non-footballing reason I was talking about... CONTINUITY.

There's NO (ZERO) argument to be made about PERFORMANCE or RESULTS.

NONE!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote:

So topping the AFrican world cup qualifying group of death, with 3 former AFrican champs, the current African champ, and the other African team to make the 2014 WC 2nd round, with ONE GAME TO SPARE, is not the sign of a good coach.

We qualified with such ease that we even threw away 3 points by fielding an ineligable player and it didn't even mattter.

You guys are so full of you know what. I guess a garbage coach gets those kind of results right.

The man has earned the right to take us to 2019 ANC. We will see how we do and can re evaluate from there.

Just firing him and replacing him with god knows who, would be just about the dumbest thing we could do.

People forget that we have missed 2 straight ANC's and Nigerian football was at an all time low, and Rohr brought us out of the gutter.
Again, you guys can retain him for non-footballing reasons. It is perfectly okay.

But it can not be based on the performance of this team.

And it is insulting for him to try to get fans to accept the results at the WC as some sort of an accomplishment. It is NOT!

BTW, Rohr did not bring us out of no gutter. Pinnick put us in the gutter... he has been trying ever since to bring us out of it. It is so bad that fans are accepting of not being disgraced at the World Cup as an accomplishment. The same fans who derided AFCON championship as lucky and getting out of the group stages as happenstance. These same fans and football authorities told the gullible fans that with a World Class coach they can do better than the previous coach and administration. A FAT LIE!

Now they busy hemming and hawing. :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

fabio wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Nigeria has qualified for France'98 with ease. In fact we were the first country to qualify for France'98.. and only dropped point in the last and meaningless match.

If you didn't know or too young to know, ask your elders instead or consult the record books.

that group was an easy group compared to the one we just had. In fact the only road to the WC that comes close to being as difficult was our 1994 road where we had to go by Algeria, CIV, S. Africa.

All other qualification groups were easy, and most of the time we made a meal of them, and in 2006 failed to qualify altogether.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Like you were sacked after your first major fokkop at work abi?
Oh please. :roll:

Greater and far more experienced footballing nations don't dispose of their national team managers the way we do.
Continuity might mean nothing to you as a typical Nigerian but it does to others. For many Nigerians, it seems its all about instant gratification and subjective 'performance'.

Rohr has been on the job for about two years. Up until July 2018 he was deemed more than competent by most. Qualified in flying colors from a group even the most optimistic of analysts thought would be a struggle. Then three weeks of failure on the world stage with the world's very best is enough for Nigerians to dispose of him - because Argentina and Croatia came to the WC to "sell grannut."

His 'performance' should firstly be seen in its entirety and secondly not as the sole criterion. Its the same knee-jerk reaction that got us sacking Siasia, Keshi and saying "good riddance" to Oliseh.

But why am I even wasting my breath? Aren't you the same Wanaj0 that forever sings the praises of a former state Governor that chopped his state's resources dry but by your own subjective criteria he 'performed'?

'Performance' can and should never be the sole yardstick, esp when you have a people that are hopelessly hooked on instant results and do not have a tradition of working hard towards medium and long-term goals.

Like I said, y'all can keep your 20/20 'vision' - aka blindness - and let us hear word.
For now, he isn't going anywhere. Deal with it.
I'm out. :taunt:
:scared: :shock: HOPE YOU SPEAK FOR YOURSELF
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

The irony of it all: we just needed to be Croatia. Win our first two games(against Croatia and Iceland) , and tie the third(Argentina). Our path would have been virtually all the way to the final! Remind me the toughest team that Croatia faced on the way to meet France in the final. Denmark? Russia? And, we couldn't have beaten them? That Rohr did not believe in his team by declaring it was a team for the future was annoyingly foolish. That he didn't even know his best player choices(Musa, Omeruo) and best formation(3-5-2) going into the World Cup was unacceptable. His conservative philosophy, poor-to-average game planning and approach will likely do him in at the end. I hope its not soon.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"