It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Abeg the hire and fire thing tire me, I'm definitely not sold on Rohr or his coaching principles.. but for the sake of continuity, let him be kept. The next task is that he MUST qualify the team for AFCON, there's no negotiatng that.
This is the most sensible approach.
At least you are giving him a chance to either redeem himself or bury himself.
Its not as if anybody can even suggest a credible successor.
They just want him out - much like they just want Buhari out - and it doesn't matter that there is nobody they can name waiting to step in and put things right.
We can start scratching head on that one later.
Just get rid of him first.
That's how we roll in Nigeria. :D
What will make him to deserve a sack? So we are stuck with him because of 'CONTINUITY' not necessarily because of 'PERFORMANCE'?
Like you were sacked after your first major fokkop at work abi?
Oh please. :roll:

Greater and far more experienced footballing nations don't dispose of their national team managers the way we do.
Continuity might mean nothing to you as a typical Nigerian but it does to others. For many Nigerians, it seems its all about instant gratification and subjective 'performance'.

Rohr has been on the job for about two years. Up until July 2018 he was deemed more than competent by most. Qualified in flying colors from a group even the most optimistic of analysts thought would be a struggle. Then three weeks of failure on the world stage with the world's very best is enough for Nigerians to dispose of him - because Argentina and Croatia came to the WC to "sell grannut."

His 'performance' should firstly be seen in its entirety and secondly not as the sole criterion. Its the same knee-jerk reaction that got us sacking Siasia, Keshi and saying "good riddance" to Oliseh.

But why am I even wasting my breath? Aren't you the same Wanaj0 that forever sings the praises of a former state Governor that chopped his state's resources dry but by your own subjective criteria he 'performed'?

'Performance' can and should never be the sole yardstick, esp when you have a people that are hopelessly hooked on instant results and do not have a tradition of working hard towards medium and long-term goals.

Like I said, y'all can keep your 20/20 'vision' - aka blindness - and let us hear word.
For now, he isn't going anywhere. Deal with it.
I'm out. :taunt:
:scared: :shock: HOPE YOU SPEAK FOR YOURSELF
Chief, in case you didn't quite get it, that was sarcasm.
I am essentially telling him that I bet he wasn't sacked after his first major blunder at work.
And no, neither was I. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: It’s a fresh beginning for Super Eagles’ Rohr

Post by Mr Shows »

Damunk wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
joao wrote:All these arguments and pontifications, as if winning in football is an exact science.
In case we forget, team sports is different from individual's. Success in team sports
requires many indices to line up correctly. One error could undermined all carefully
made plans.
BTW, this is why I still believe Nigeria should groom and hire indigenous coaches,
give the individual the same support and latitude as we give the foreign coach, and
keep trying till we find the right person.

We generally know what to do, but politics and self hatred keep making us run aroundlooking for quick fixes with no guarantees
:b ump: :agree: :agree:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Spot on Joao.

Hiring a local coach should always be the ultimate goal but we deceive ourselves when we suggest that it is solely the NFF that doesn't give them the "support and the latitude" to work.
Nigerian fans are just as bad, if not worse.

The ridicule, disrespect and accusations of corruption our top local coaches have been subjected to (both in life and even death) by far outstrip anything any foreign coach has had to endure.
Is it Pa Onigbinde?
Or Keshi?
Oliseh?
Shuaibu?
Eguavon or Siasia?
Or is it Yusuf that should now come back from investigation and take charge?

Then at the Junior level you have Manu Garba and Emmanuel Amuneke both of whom reached the pinnacle in their age-grade careers only to 'fail' at the next level up and face similar ridicule and disrespect. Manu Garba became persona non grata in an instant. This is someone who was widely touted as the future SE coach.
Discarded after one 'failure' at the U20 WC

So this popular chorus of treating our local coaches fairly should start with the fans. First, we pay lip service to medium and long-term planning and do not have the patience to sit through an uncomfortable development curve. At the first sign of trouble, we sack.
Sack, sack, sack!
Begin again every time.
We are at it again, predictably. And I said it before the WC. Its on record. :D

The stats are there for all to see.....20 coaches in 20 years.
Maybe now even worse.
The numbers don't lie. Yes, there is always an argument at any point in time to sack the coach, but 20 in 20 years? That says more about us as a people than the competence of the coaches.

In such an environment our local coaches stand no chance. All we ever do is go round in circles, but Nigerians being who we are, we only concern ourselves with the here and now and really pay only lip service to the bigger picture. We get caught up in our immediate little circle, completely oblivious to the fact that it is part of a far bigger circle within which we are perambulating.
20 in 20 is stupendously myopic and gives new meaning to the term '20/20 vision'. :lol:

So let's keep on sacking.
Let's keep on pretending we have great local coaches hidden away somewhere that will get us to the SF of the World Cup with the type of "support and latitude" from the NFF currently only given to foreigners.
Let's pretend we won't bring them down the moment they choose players we don't really know or don't like. And let's pretend we won't abuse the hell out of them and call for their sack the moment they drop points to Rwanda, or Libya or for that matter, South Africa.
Let's also pretend there's a queue of world-class coaches begging to take on the SE job and willing to take up residence in Nigeria 46 weeks in a year.
Let's pretend we won't balk at their huge salaries, which the NFF doesn't even have anyway.

In fact, since the grass is forever greener on the other side, lets officially name our long-standing football policy 'ABCC' - Anybody But the Current Coach.
We can add a caveat that we must regularly alternate between the local and the foreign, since that seems to have been the general pattern.
Too much sense :clap: :clap: Couldn't have articulated it any better