Eto’o to buy house for homeless former Cameroon Captain

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

blueangel
Egg
Egg
Eto’o to buy house for homeless former Cameroon Captain

Post by blueangel »

Well Done Eto :clap: :clap: :clap:

Samuel Eto’o promises to buy house for homeless former Cameroon captain

Samuel Eto’o, the former Barcelona and Chelsea striker, says that he will buy a house for his compatriot, former Cameroon captain Norbert Owona, whose homeless plight was featured in a documentary.

Owona, 67, represented Cameroon in the 1960s and 1970s but has recently been living rough on the streets of Douala, the city in which he played for much of his career.

After a hernia forced Owona to be admitted to hospital, Eto’o donated 500,000 CFA francs ($892) to help pay for his treatment according to Joseph Kamga, another former Cameroon international.

Eto’o, who is the most decorated African player in history, has also committed to assisting Owona in his search for a new home.

Kamga, who was a part of Cameroon’s squad for the 1982 World Cup in Spain, has been a vocal proponent of a campaign to highlight the plight of several former sports stars who have fallen on hard times since their athletic careers came to an end. Kamga noted that the conditions that some are living in are “indescribable.”

Owona had highlighted his conditions in a letter to government ministers, in which he complained that he was being forced to “live like an animal” and that it was “unfair to receive such treatment from his country."

He also said that he was unable to afford proper medical care after he spent all of his savings to pay for the care of his wife, who is suffering from cancer.

https://www.rt.com/sport/437258-samuel- ... ess-house/
Makanaky
Egg
Egg
Re: Eto’o to buy house for homeless former Cameroon Captain

Post by Makanaky »

Well done Samuel. :clap: :clap:
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Very nice gesture but how much house can you buy with 500,000CFA? You can't even get a land with that money, maybe in a some remote village.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

joplass wrote:Very nice gesture but how much house can you buy with 500,000CFA? You can't even get a land with that money, maybe in a some remote village.
No reference to the cost of the house.
500,000CFA was for hospital bills.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

joplass wrote:Very nice gesture but how much house can you buy with 500,000CFA? You can't even get a land with that money, maybe in a some remote village.
The critics are always close by
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Oh my apologies guys, I thought the 500,000 CFA was for the house. On the other hand if you don't want criticism simply kill yourself. Man is nothing without criticism.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

joplass wrote:Oh my apologies guys, I thought the 500,000 CFA was for the house. On the other hand if you don't want criticism simply kill yourself. Man is nothing without criticism.

Nothing wrong with criticism if it’s justified in this case you just jumped on Samuel with out grasping the full facts
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Makanaky wrote:
joplass wrote:Oh my apologies guys, I thought the 500,000 CFA was for the house. On the other hand if you don't want criticism simply kill yourself. Man is nothing without criticism.

Nothing wrong with criticism if it’s justified in this case you just jumped on Samuel with out grasping the full facts

You are overreacting yourself too.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

The other day, it was AMokachi, and now Eto. Personally I see no reason to announce such things, do it quietly and move on. But at the end of the day, at least Eto stood up.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Great gesture
No point advertising it
But $890 na 5000000000 CFA? Camex come ooo
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

He hasnt bought the house yet.. Na promise oh.. He only gave him 500,000CFA francs= 686 pounds, that amount is a token for Samuel Eto'o!! Nevertheless it's a goo d gesture, but the PR in it is overemphasized..
afc##
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

chuks69 wrote:He hasnt bought the house yet.. Na promise oh.. He only gave him 500,000CFA francs= 686 pounds, that amount is a token for Samuel Eto'o!! Nevertheless it's a goo d gesture, but the PR in it is overemphasized..
what PR exactly......I don't see any quote from Eto'o or his agent
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Our people are something else you do they complain, you no do they complain.Is Eto'o the only footballer in that country?
Did Eto'o announced he gave money?The man went on a trip hear about the sad situation, visit the poor homeless man give small change and promise a house.
Some people will not even do consider he play when Eto'o was not even born.
My only question is will Eto'o have done this if the man was not ex footballer?What about other suffering that are homeless kick out of their homes,get killed by the government army?
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

AN12

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

kajifu wrote:Our people are something else you do they complain, you no do they complain.Is Eto'o the only footballer in that country?
Did Eto'o announced he gave money?The man went on a trip hear about the sad situation, visit the poor homeless man give small change and promise a house.

My only question is will Eto'o have done this if the man was not ex footballer? What about other suffering that are homeless kick out of their homes,get killed by the government army?
Is this a question or a complaint?

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
rafflick
Egg
Egg

Post by rafflick »

YemiBrazil wrote:
kajifu wrote:Our people are something else you do they complain, you no do they complain.Is Eto'o the only footballer in that country?

My only question is will Eto'o have done this if the man was not ex footballer? What about other suffering that are homeless kick out of their homes,get killed by the government army?
It is not a complaint but a very valid observation. A lot of Nigerians have become oblivious to the suffering of other people as long as they are not personally connected. It is a sickness that has been fostered on us by the corruption of the political class and the stupid cultures we have devolved into.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

rafflick wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

It is not a complaint but a very valid observation. A lot of Nigerians have become oblivious to the suffering of other people as long as they are not personally connected. It is a sickness that has been fostered on us by the corruption of the political class and the stupid cultures we have devolved into.
1.) We don't have enough information to determine that about Eto'o based on this story. I'm sure he won't ask journalists to follow him around while helping the suffering and homeless. My guess is that the homeless man's case became news because he was an ex-footballer.

2.) I guess you need to speak for yourself on this. I totally disagree that Nigerians have become oblivious to the suffering of others except the ones that they are personally connected. I see various acts of kindness all over the place anytime I'm out there and I just got back a few days ago. Lots of acts of kindness are happening all over Nigeria even as I type despite the fact that unscrupulous elements are taking advantage of people's kindness, Nigerians still give! Not too long ago, an elderly citizen in Lagos was flown to the UK for treatment with a chunk of the needed 85k pounds sterling raised by people who don't even know him, just an example. We can't expect to read every spontaneous acts of kindness in the news.