Tony Nwakeme -the best winger we got.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tony Nwakeme -the best winger we got.

Post by metalalloy »

pajimoh wrote:Give Tony a chance? But we've done it once. That seems to be the Nigerian way - " Tony One-chance"

Forget the fact that it's a new setup to him or did not particularly have a good game or could have improved a lot since.

Oh boy.. the things you read on this site. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

His head is enormous. Also :rotf: at his attempted celebration for his first goal. He jumped up onto the advertising board, nearly fell down, and had to ask his teammates to hold him up.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Don’t know why Rohr played him at CF when he’s a winger at his club.

But I don't think Nwakaeme is an actual winger, whether he plays that role for his club or not.

He wouldn't be the first player to be played out of position by his club.

Nwakaeme had more time on the pitch than Onyekuru got, and Onyekuru was far more effective in his little time on the pitch.

Nwakaeme is 26 and will be 30 by the next World Cup.

Unless you are an exceptional talent or in a position we are short in, we have no business taking a 30 year old to the World Cup.

Instead of looking at Nwakaeme we should be looking at younger players like

Bonaventure
Success
Onyekuru
Kalu
Simon
Chukwueze
Yahaya
Fehinde

Abeg stop this hype train we need to build for Qatar 2022 starting NOW. The sooner we integrate all of these youth prospects the better.
Bruh, stop lying, I just watched the game replayed on beIN sports and Onyekuru wasn’t really up to it in this game, it was Nwakaeme who was attacking scoring and creating chances/assists and way more of a threat. But Onyekuru has been recalled so let’s see what he has to offer.

You realize that Galatasary were down to 10 men early in the match, and this is the one game you want to base things on.

Anyways they are both in the same league so we will see who has more goals and assists when we get further into the season.

And you just ignore that Nwakaeme is 27, while the other talents I mentioned are in their early 20's.
Did you read what you wrote? It was a blatant lie saying
Nwakaeme had more time on the pitch than Onyekuru got, and Onyekuru was far more effective in his little time on the pitch.
And what does Nwakaeme's age have to do with anything though? If he's playing well I don't see why he can't be invited. You are talking about world cup that is 4 years away, won't we have 2 ANC's before then? And what do you mean by we have no business taking a 30 year old to the WC? No wonder we are always winning the youngest team in the WC trophy without actually making any impact...
Blatant lie ?

I am referring to the WCQ match against Algeria where Nwakaeme played 45 minutes and did didly squat while Onyekuru had 20 minutes and got off a wicked shot on goal.

I never said we can't take a 30 year old to the world cup. But that 30 year old must be exceptional and BETTER than younger talents, and I don't see that as the case right now.

The only players we should consider of that age are

Balogun
Mikel
Moses

These are exceptional players, and in the case of Balogun, a position in which we lack solid depth and quality.

We don't have any shortage of wingers, and Nwakaeme does not offer us anything we cannot get with younger players.
But you don't know who will be better in 4 years or even if the so called young ones will still be playing. All you can do is pick players based on CURRENT form and how they fit into your team period. Don't know why you are so focused on age.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

metalalloy wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Give Tony a chance? But we've done it once. That seems to be the Nigerian way - " Tony One-chance"

Forget the fact that it's a new setup to him or did not particularly have a good game or could have improved a lot since.

ol boy, never seen the boy play. I don't even know what he looks like but there's something odd about playing someone once or dropping someone after one bad game.

I'm not advocating for him to be called but if we are going to have the best team we need to consider the good days and the bad days that happens to all and all.

No one operates at optimum all the time.

Have seen Messi and Ronaldo do incredible things and I've heard both described as "DOST" or "club football" player. We can ridicule the best when they are not at their best and we can prematurely drop players because they did not play an outstanding game when they had the chance.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Nwakeme is to the wings as what John Ogu is to the midfield...

Enough said..
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Don’t know why Rohr played him at CF when he’s a winger at his club.

But I don't think Nwakaeme is an actual winger, whether he plays that role for his club or not.

He wouldn't be the first player to be played out of position by his club.

Nwakaeme is 26 and will be 30 by the next World Cup.

Unless you are an exceptional talent or in a position we are short in, we have no business taking a 30 year old to the World Cup.

Instead of looking at Nwakaeme we should be looking at younger players like

Bonaventure
Success
Onyekuru
Kalu
Simon
Chukwueze
Yahaya
Fehinde

Abeg stop this hype train we need to build for Qatar 2022 starting NOW. The sooner we integrate all of these youth prospects the better.
Bruh, stop lying, I just watched the game replayed on beIN sports and Onyekuru wasn’t really up to it in this game, it was Nwakaeme who was attacking scoring and creating chances/assists and way more of a threat. But Onyekuru has been recalled so let’s see what he has to offer.

You realize that Galatasary were down to 10 men early in the match, and this is the one game you want to base things on.

Anyways they are both in the same league so we will see who has more goals and assists when we get further into the season.

And you just ignore that Nwakaeme is 27, while the other talents I mentioned are in their early 20's.
Did you read what you wrote? It was a blatant lie saying
And what does Nwakaeme's age have to do with anything though? If he's playing well I don't see why he can't be invited. You are talking about world cup that is 4 years away, won't we have 2 ANC's before then? And what do you mean by we have no business taking a 30 year old to the WC? No wonder we are always winning the youngest team in the WC trophy without actually making any impact...
Blatant lie ?

I am referring to the WCQ match against Algeria where Nwakaeme played 45 minutes and did didly squat while Onyekuru had 20 minutes and got off a wicked shot on goal.

I never said we can't take a 30 year old to the world cup. But that 30 year old must be exceptional and BETTER than younger talents, and I don't see that as the case right now.

The only players we should consider of that age are

Balogun
Mikel
Moses

These are exceptional players, and in the case of Balogun, a position in which we lack solid depth and quality.

We don't have any shortage of wingers, and Nwakaeme does not offer us anything we cannot get with younger players.
But you don't know who will be better in 4 years or even if the so called young ones will still be playing. All you can do is pick players based on CURRENT form and how they fit into your team period. Don't know why you are so focused on age.

I dont know what is so hard for you to understand.

If you have two players who are relatively EQUAL.

Will you chose the much older player or the younger one who will have a much longer life with SE ?

If the older players is considerably better, then yes I will chose him which is why I referenced Mikel and Victor Moses as well as Balogun.

Nwakaeme is not better than the younger players we have. PERIOD.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Mr Shows wrote:Nwakeme is to the wings as what John Ogu is to the midfield...

Enough said..

kpom.

A wasted spot which would be better served on upcomming talents who will give us no less when it comes to quality.

Ogu as far as I'm concerned should be done with and we should be integrating the likes of

Chidebere Nwakali
Azuibikwe
Usmain Muhammad

As I said above concerning Nwakaeme, there is nothing exceptional with John Ogu for us to keep him in the setup going forwards to Qatar 2022. We must look at this strategically.

If an older player does not give you anything special then they should be discarded.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

chaiii Nwakaeme is even older than I thought. THe guy is 29 and people are advocating for an average player at 29 to be brought into SE when we have plenty of young talents who are just as good if not better.

No wonder we continue to fail.

He will be 33 in Qatar and this is who we want to callup when we have so many young talents.

What a joke. Why not callup Obasi.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:chaiii Nwakaeme is even older than I thought. THe guy is 29 and people are advocating for an average player at 29 to be brought into SE when we have plenty of young talents who are just as good if not better.

He will be 33 in Qatar and this is who we want to callup when we have so many young talents.

Age is NOT the reason we failed at anything, don't know how you can say that when we are consistently the youngest or close to youngest at every WC which is not an age-restricted tournament and yet we don't do anything. Nwakaeme will likely not get another call up in his career, but your age-based rant is rather pointless and meaningless as it simply doesn't apply to the SE.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:chaiii Nwakaeme is even older than I thought. THe guy is 29 and people are advocating for an average player at 29 to be brought into SE when we have plenty of young talents who are just as good if not better.

Age is NOT the reason we failed at anything, don't know how you can say that when we are consistently the youngest or close to youngest at every WC which is not an age-restricted tournament and yet we don't do anything. Nwakaeme will likely not get another call up in his career, but your age-based rant is rather pointless and meaningless as it simply doesn't apply to the SE.
I'm not claiming age was the reason we failed.

But in the past we failed because we lack long term strategic planning.

we have 4 years to the next world cup.

Why would we not start NOW giving experience to younger players with more of an upside, than to waste time on players who do not add much and will be 33 by the next WC. That does not seem like a productive long term strategy to be focusing on older players who do not bring anything special to the table.

Why waste a spot on the 2019 ANC roster on a 30 year old player, when we could use that same spot to give experience to a 22 year old player who will benefit from the international experience, and it will only be a net benefit for us in 2022.

And as I have repeatedly pointed out, the 30 year old player does not bring more to the table than the 22 year old.

You cannot understand this simple point.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Why would we not start NOW giving experience to younger players with more of an upside, than to waste time on players who do not add much and will be 33 by the next WC. That does not seem like a productive long term strategy to be focusing on older players who do not bring anything special to the table.

Why waste a spot on the 2019 ANC roster on a 30 year old player, when we could use that same spot to give experience to a 22 year old player who will benefit from the international experience, and it will only be a net benefit for us in 2022.

And as I have repeatedly pointed out, the 30 year old player does not bring more to the table than the 22 year old.

Your have no point, and that is the simple point you cannot understand. You are just rambling on when no one has actually invited Nwakaeme. So what exactly is your point? The Onyekuru's and Samuel Kalu's are the ones invited and they are young so what exactly are you complaining about now? Let them prove themselves to be better. Our MO for the longest time has been to call a team old, dismantle it, and start rebuilding with younger players. Well where has it really gotten us? We even took it to the extreme this past WC where even before the tournament our coach is telling us we are only going there to learn for the next world cup. Ignoring the fact that after a few more years this team will be scrapped for the next set of younger shiny players. So I don't know what long term planning you are talking about by advocating for not even looking at experienced players even if they are in better form than their younger counterparts. Not sure how that helps anything, it rather just continues the same old path that we've been on.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

pajimoh wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

ol boy, never seen the boy play. I don't even know what he looks like but there's something odd about playing someone once or dropping someone after one bad game.

I'm not advocating for him to be called but if we are going to have the best team we need to consider the good days and the bad days that happens to all and all.

Have seen Messi and Ronaldo do incredible things and I've heard both described as "DOST" or "club football" player. We can ridicule the best when they are not at their best and we can prematurely drop players because they did not play an outstanding game when they had the chance.
Stop being rational on this site abeg. :D
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

pajimoh wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

There is something even more odd about advocating for someone you have never seen play to given another chance by a coach that evaluated the player in practice against his peers and tried in a game that many people saw.

That boy is useless abeg. There is no upside to calling him up for the SE.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

vancity eagle wrote:

Enough said..

kpom.

A wasted spot which would be better served on upcomming talents who will give us no less when it comes to quality.

Ogu as far as I'm concerned should be done with and we should be integrating the likes of

Chidebere Nwakali
Azuibikwe
Usmain Muhammad

As I said above concerning Nwakaeme, there is nothing exceptional with John Ogu for us to keep him in the setup going forwards to Qatar 2022. We must look at this strategically.

If an older player does not give you anything special then they should be discarded.
Chidebere Nwakali: Division 2 in Poland after so MANY loan moves
Azuibikwe: After a GOOD Season in Turkey, Went after the MONEY in EGYPT
Usmain Muhammad: Still not getting enough playing time in Norway even after his wonder goal against A.Madrid

Do you guys do research or you are just advocating for your clients? Those players that your listed had potential but what is potentials when you can't show it week by week.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wale1974 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Enough said..

kpom.

Chidebere Nwakali
Azuibikwe
Usmain Muhammad

Usmain Muhammad: Still not getting enough playing time in Norway even after his wonder goal against A.Madrid

Do you guys do research or you are just advocating for your clients? Those players that your listed had potential but what is potentials when you can't show it week by week.
The ones that are showing are too old, so no lets focus on the young ones, lets start choosing from U-15 self, long term planning for WC 2030. :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

maceo4 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Enough said..

kpom.

Chidebere Nwakali
Azuibikwe
Usmain Muhammad

The ones that are showing are too old, so no lets focus on the young ones, lets start choosing from U-15 self, long term planning for WC 2030. :thumbs:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Your have no point, and that is the simple point you cannot understand. You are just rambling on when no one has actually invited Nwakaeme. So what exactly is your point? The Onyekuru's and Samuel Kalu's are the ones invited and they are young so what exactly are you complaining about now? Let them prove themselves to be better. Our MO for the longest time has been to call a team old, dismantle it, and start rebuilding with younger players. Well where has it really gotten us? We even took it to the extreme this past WC where even before the tournament our coach is telling us we are only going there to learn for the next world cup. Ignoring the fact that after a few more years this team will be scrapped for the next set of younger shiny players. So I don't know what long term planning you are talking about by advocating for not even looking at experienced players even if they are in better form than their younger counterparts. Not sure how that helps anything, it rather just continues the same old path that we've been on.

but this is the crux of my argument.

On what basis do you conclude Nwakaeme is in better form that the younger players ?

Are you basing this on one match AGAINST TEN MEN.

1. Samuel Kalu is playing at a higher level and starting to do well with his team

2. Isaac Success is playing at a much higher level and making sub apperances on a top 4 premiership side. He has already proven himself in Spain

3. Onyekuru has aleady destroyed the Belgian league which is higher than anything Nwakaeme has accomplished and he is currently dong well with Galatasaray, and doesnt have to count on a match against 10 men to pad his statistics.

4. Moses Simon when fit will be playing at a much higher level and already has a history of playing well for SE.

5. Dennis Bonaventure is beginning to establish himself at Brugges a champions league team.

6. Alex Iwobi is already established at Arsenal and playing at a much higher level almost week in week out.

So who exactly should make way for a 30 year old player that is not significantly better, IF BETTER AT ALL, which I sincerely doubt than any of these players.

The season is young and we will see how good Nwakaeme actually is, but as of now all of this talk is just hype.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

but this is the crux of my argument.

On what basis do you conclude Nwakaeme is in better form that the younger players ?

Are you basing this on one match AGAINST TEN MEN.

1. Samuel Kalu is playing at a higher level and starting to do well with his team

2. Isaac Success is playing at a much higher level and making sub apperances on a top 4 premiership side. He has already proven himself in Spain

3. Onyekuru has aleady destroyed the Belgian league which is higher than anything Nwakaeme has accomplished and he is currently dong well with Galatasaray, and doesnt have to count on a match against 10 men to pad his statistics.

4. Moses Simon when fit will be playing at a much higher level and already has a history of playing well for SE.

5. Dennis Bonaventure is beginning to establish himself at Brugges a champions league team.

6. Alex Iwobi is already established at Arsenal and playing at a much higher level almost week in week out.

So who exactly should make way for a 30 year old player that is not significantly better, IF BETTER AT ALL, which I sincerely doubt than any of these players.

The season is young and we will see how good Nwakaeme actually is, but as of now all of this talk is just hype.
My argument is not specific to Nwakaeme its really against your rigid age based selection of players for a national team that is not age-restricted. France took the likes of Nzonzi to the WC at 29 even though he wasn't going to be a starter and wasn't necessarily better than the younger starters. However, he provided experience coming into games to help close them out, an integral part of France's WC win. Based on your rigid rules such a player has no place on the team as they "do not bring anything special to the table" in your eyes since they can't displace the starters, but they can be an integral part of a young team to provide depth off the bench, and experience when needed. Which is something you can't buy and shouldn't be disregarded.
Super Eagus 4 Life!