Why Nigeria is Due 3 points in Seychelles...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why Nigeria is Due 3 points in Seychelles...

Post by Enugu II »

On September 8, Nigeria plays its most lopsided encounter ever. Opponent? Seychelles in a 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier in Victoria. Since Nigeria played its first game in 1949, it has never been involved in a mismatch as the Victoria game portends. Thus, the recent statement by Coach Gernot Rohr, that Nigeria cannot afford to lose in Victoria is a major understatement. The fact is that Nigeria must win and by a big margin. Anything else will be considered underwhelming.
Then take a look at FIFA ranking. Seychelles is number 188, a tad higher than the worst footballing countries in global football. At 188, Seychelles is only better than Djibouti, Eritrea, and Somalia in Africa. But then think of this -- Eritrea's last game was in 2015 and its last point was in 2011. Somalia? It last earned a point in 2011. How about Djibouti? It has won just one game since 2011.
Details can be found here:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/09/t ... -game.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Why Nigeria is Due 3 points in Seychelles...

Post by Bigpokey24 »

don't be surprised if Seychelles pulls out of the tournament and then we get to experience how Chad pulled a fast one on us
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

What is the population of Iceland again?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We’re still waiting for the 3 points u promised v South Africa. :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Mr Shows wrote:What is the population of Iceland again?
I don't know but I do know Nigeria beat Iceland :tic: :taunt:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

True, EII. If Rohr cannot pulverize Seychelles, then he should just...
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

pajimoh wrote:
It should be a stroll in the park. Hopefully Musa and Nacho won't fluff their lines and come back with the basket of missed chances.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

pajimoh wrote:
It should be a stroll in the park. Hopefully Musa and Nacho won't fluff their lines and come back with a basket full of missed chances.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Hmm, I hope Seychelles doesn't surprise us, else it will all over for us
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Even if Nigeria beats them 10-0 and they with drew straight after that game would just become invalid along with the 3 points and goal tally so Nigeria need to make sure that get 9 points from Libya and South Africa or its over!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote:don't be surprised if Seychelles pulls out of the tournament and then we get to experience how Chad pulled a fast one on us
Bigpokey24,

That idea crossed my mind a week ago but it was about Libya pulling out and not Seychelles. As you know, the crisis in Libya intensified in the last couple of weeks.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

We are always in a group that has a team eventually pulling out, last time was Chad and now we are not certain if Libya won't do the same. That been said, our destiny is only in our hands, it would be pure travesty at this point if we miss another Afcon with a group that has Seychelles, Libya, and South Africa(yeah they've gotten bolder lately against us, but we have a better h2h winning record for a reason).
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

We don't need to beat them 10 nil, just get the 3 points and come back home safe!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:Thus, the recent statement by Coach Gernot Rohr, that Nigeria cannot afford to lose in Victoria is a major understatement. The fact is that Nigeria must win and by a big margin. Anything else will be considered underwhelming.
It's telling that Rohr is talking about Nigeria not affording to lose rather than going out to win.

Very telling...
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Thus, the recent statement by Coach Gernot Rohr, that Nigeria cannot afford to lose in Victoria is a major understatement. The fact is that Nigeria must win and by a big margin. Anything else will be considered underwhelming.
It's telling that Rohr is talking about Nigeria not affording to lose rather than going out to win.

Very telling...
The only thing telling here is Nigerians stamping their interpretations over a statement that was made simply to remove the air of cockiness and complacency...the truth is we cannot afford to lose to Seychelles no matter how you dice,whether from position of cockiness or humility.....that needs to be highlighted.

I guess the man should be telling us how many goals Nigerian is going to wack Seychelles by.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

oloye wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Very telling...
The only thing telling here is Nigerians stamping their interpretations over a statement that was made simply to remove the air of cockiness and complacency...the truth is we cannot afford to lose to Seychelles no matter how you dice,whether from position of cockiness or humility.....that needs to be highlighted.

I guess the man should be telling us how many goals Nigerian is going to wack Seychelles by.
It takes a certain mindset to go into a game against the Seychelles and describe it as a game we dare not lose - a cowardly and timid mindset.

He should play up the professionalism of the team to do the job and set up the expectation to win. Instead, defeat is never far away from this man's vocab. This is simply a continuation of his rhetoric at the World Cup.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

oloye wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Very telling...

Hmmmm. That's how the man started that we are going to WC to learn hence we don't deserve to qualify for the second round! Student National Team :taunt: :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

The point is we don't have to be overconfident, but we have to win and we should be expected to win. This is not like we are playing South Africa or some near peer rival that is only a few ranks below us, we are playing one of the worst teams in Africa. We need to stop acting timid in these times and play them with no mercy and the intent to win the game. If we get anything less than a win ROHR NEEDS TO GET SACKED ON THE SPOT!!!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Rohr is not timid, he is acting like a politician.

He wants to guarantee his job at every interval. I don't know why he doesn't just let his tenure speak for itself.

It's like he is always making escape routes for himself.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

We cannot afford to lose or drop point against Seychelles speaks more than the match in Seychelles, it factors in the fact that we have already dropped 3 points against South Africa, we simply cannot afford to drop anymore

Now people are free to interpret it as they deem fit just because he does not sound the way they want him to sound.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:We cannot afford to lose or drop point against Seychelles speaks more than the match in Seychelles, it factors in the fact that we have already dropped 3 points against South Africa, we simply cannot afford to drop anymore

Now people are free to interpret it as they deem fit just because he does not sound the way they want him to sound.
Oloye,

IMHO, Nigeria MUST win convincingly in Victoria (not a draw) or Rohr's position becomes untenable. I do not think that he can make any convincing excuses if Nigeria fails to win. That is the bottomline because this is expected to be a big mismatch.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The YeyeMan wrote:

Very telling...
We have all the experience to beat Seychelles any day but we should not be getting just a win against them. We should win convincingly
https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/09/ ... eychelles/

Is this what you want to read? Does this one make you happy now?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:We cannot afford to lose or drop point against Seychelles speaks more than the match in Seychelles, it factors in the fact that we have already dropped 3 points against South Africa, we simply cannot afford to drop anymore

Oloye,

IMHO, Nigeria MUST win convincingly in Victoria (not a draw) or Rohr's position becomes untenable. I do not think that he can make any convincing excuses if Nigeria fails to win. That is the bottomline because this is expected to be a big mismatch.
Of course there is no excuse for not winning Prof...which is not the case. Who interpreted his statement to mean that he is looking for an excuse? That is my question. People interpreted his statement ,felt there was not enough swagger to it and began to attack him and read all kind of meanings. ..to say that the team cannot afford to lose in Seychelles is perhaps one of the most assuring statement anyone can give. He rules out a defeat completely saying it is not acceptable.

If he wants to give an excuse , he would be saying ....we cannot afford to underate Seychelles or better still , start to mention how the team is missing key players.
That would be excuses in the making.