Samuel Kalu's debut. How did he do?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bully12
Egg
Egg
Re: Samuel Kalu's debut. How did he do?

Post by bully12 »

Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
ogasir wrote:Definitely showed he belonged. I feel if the pitch was better he would have been a lot more dangerous
he is certainly on the team to stay. IMHO, even though this was against Seychelles, Kalu will be the first name in that position with Simon and Onyekuru looking in.

Onyekuru should start, his pace is devastating. I wonder why Rohr is not playing him.
Certainly not ahead of Kalu. I have watched both of them at their clubs. Kalu is very intense in his play. I wondered if he could do that in SE colors and he confirmed that today. Onyekuru is fast but for him to start you would have to move Musa to the center and Ighalo to the bench. That means you have no forward to hold up the ball in very difficult games. Rohr has severally stated his preference for a forward capable of holding up the ball. Even Musa cannot do this better than Ighalo. However, Musa's pace is extraordinary and right now has to be ahead of Onyekuru unless when played up top. Just my tuppence.
You surely make me sick with your continuous stupid analysis and very erreneous flawed conclusions .
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

charlie wrote:Very spry performance. Earned us our third goal (penalty in 2nd half) with a nice dribble that forced the defense to commit a foul. Good performance to start his SE career.

Its good to have the competition with Henry and Moses. We have always excelled with producing wingers, and its time to resurrect the next generation of World class Nigerian wingers.
he's gotten similar penalty from same area and same move twice this season for Bordeaux.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
ogasir wrote:Definitely showed he belonged. I feel if the pitch was better he would have been a lot more dangerous
he is certainly on the team to stay. IMHO, even though this was against Seychelles, Kalu will be the first name in that position with Simon and Onyekuru looking in.
Lol. Which Simon? I hope you are not referring to Moses Simon.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

mystic wrote:Like most of our players, he had a few moments that left you scratching your head, but on the whole, he looked like he belonged and was our most creative player. However, his crossing left a lot to be desired (he is normaly a very good crosser of the ball so the pitch might have been a factor).

I thought that the trio of Ahmed Musa, Wilfred Ndidi and Leon Balogun were our best players on the day. Kalu was the next best player and flashed the ability to grow into a key player for us.
Oga Mystic, good seeing you here
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:Like most of our players, he had a few moments that left you scratching your head, but on the whole, he looked like he belonged and was our most creative player. However, his crossing left a lot to be desired (he is normaly a very good crosser of the ball so the pitch might have been a factor).

I thought that the trio of Ahmed Musa, Wilfred Ndidi and Leon Balogun were our best players on the day. Kalu was the next best player and flashed the ability to grow into a key player for us.
Mystic,

TBH, it is difficult to evaluate the guys based on the field and the opponent but Kalu definitely solidified his position, even with this game, as a starter. He, IMHO, was the best guy out there closely followed by Musa. It will be difficult for either Onyekuru or Simon to beat Kalu to that spot. As for Onyekuru, his best option to make the starting spot is play opposite of Kalu and that is if Musa is to be moved centrally. The only thing I worry though is that even though Musa has shown that he is quite good at that position, he isn't a danger off set-pieces and we would have to rely on Balogun and Ekong for those moments.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

It's going to be hard to use both Henry and Kalu in a 3-5-2 formation..................We need to switch back to 4-3-3.

Henry on the left flank and Kalu on the right.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Enugu II wrote:

Mystic,

TBH, it is difficult to evaluate the guys based on the field and the opponent but Kalu definitely solidified his position, even with this game, as a starter. He, IMHO, was the best guy out there closely followed by Musa. It will be difficult for either Onyekuru or Simon to beat Kalu to that spot. As for Onyekuru, his best option to make the starting spot is play opposite of Kalu and that is if Musa is to be moved centrally. The only thing I worry though is that even though Musa has shown that he is quite good at that position, he isn't a danger off set-pieces and we would have to rely on Balogun and Ekong for those moments.

this is all good for the SE. Onyekuru as backup for the left and right wings and also support striker making our bench extremely dangerous. if anyone of musa or Kalu is injured, then Onyekuru steps in to start and Simon becomes backup sub.

the best news is that Iwobi would now focus on the attacking midfield role with MIkel and possibility of Etebo being a backup choice. Is Nwakali ready?
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Mystic,

this is all good for the SE. Onyekuru as backup for the left and right wings and also support striker making our bench extremely dangerous. if anyone of musa or Kalu is injured, then Onyekuru steps in to start and Simon becomes backup sub.

the best news is that Iwobi would now focus on the attacking midfield role with MIkel and possibility of Etebo being a backup choice. Is Nwakali ready?
moments.[/quote] Onyekuru in all ramifications should start before Musa and Kalu. He was in this same league with Kalu was certainly a far better player than him. Just because this imbecile of starts Kalu ahead of him does not mean they are in same class. indubitable he is head and shoulder above both players. There is no question in my mind I will be proven right before long
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:Onyekuru in all ramifications should start before Musa and Kalu. He was in this same league with Kalu was certainly a far better player than him. Just because this imbecile of starts Kalu ahead of him does not mean they are in same class. indubitable he is head and shoulder above both players. There is no question in my mind I will be proven right before long
Ok so are you saying he has a personal issue with Onyekuru? He chose to start Kalu and Musa, one got a goal other assisted and won MOTM, so how can you fault the coach? You forget that the Onyekuru you are talking about is pre-knee surgery. Now Kalu is a number 10 in a better league. And Onyekuru has never played as well as Kalu did for SE, including when he started in the Togo friendly. I just don't get how you can say one should start over the other b/c of club form from a season and a half ago...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There is value in starting only one of Onyekuru and Kalu: bringing on e.g. Onyekuru off the bench with 10 minutes left must be totally demoralising for tired defenders. Having a player with such lightning pace running at them late in a game can unlock packed defences.
wale1974 wrote:It's going to be hard to use both Henry and Kalu in a 3-5-2 formation..................We need to switch back to 4-3-3.

Henry on the left flank and Kalu on the right.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote: Mystic,

TBH, it is difficult to evaluate the guys based on the field and the opponent but Kalu definitely solidified his position even with this game, as a starter.

Uncle EII, when you start agency and no invite us to come wash am?

So it's difficult to evaluate him based on Seychelles, but he solidified his position as a starter over Simon who has had consistent top performances against ANC champions like Cameroon, ALgeria and Zambia? Okay o!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Here we go again. Mugus watch a player in 1 game and start calling for him to start ahead of others that have years of proven quality. Typical Naija mentality.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Onyekuru should start, his pace is devastating. I wonder why Rohr is not playing him.
Certainly not ahead of Kalu. I have watched both of them at their clubs. Kalu is very intense in his play. I wondered if he could do that in SE colors and he confirmed that today. Onyekuru is fast but for him to start you would have to move Musa to the center and Ighalo to the bench. That means you have no forward to hold up the ball in very difficult games. Rohr has severally stated his preference for a forward capable of holding up the ball. Even Musa cannot do this better than Ighalo. However, Musa's pace is extraordinary and right now has to be ahead of Onyekuru unless when played up top. Just my tuppence.
Kalu was excellent. The highlighted bothers me. You don't necessarily have to be an imposing figure to hold up play effectively. Ighalo was quite disappointing yet again on Saturday. His inability to stay onside against a bunch of resort workers is mind numbing.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Kalu was great

Onyekuru looked a handfull when he came on

Isaac Success also has much to say in this forward line debate IMO

Against Liberia hopefully we get to see both Kalu and Onyekuru on opposing flanks.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

vancity eagle wrote:Kalu was great

Against Liberia hopefully we get to see both Kalu and Onyekuru on opposing flanks.
You can certainly bet on it the fool will feature Onyekuru for few minutes.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bully12 wrote:

If Rohr does not start Onyekuru, or let him play for the vast majority of the match, I will have to ask some serious questions.

Onyekuru needs to take his opportunity and ingrain it in Rohr's mind that he is the real deal. I am convinced Rohr will not ignore any player who does the business on the pitch.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
bully12 wrote:

If Rohr does not start Onyekuru, or let him play for the vast majority of the match, I will have to ask some serious questions.

Onyekuru needs to take his opportunity and ingrain it in Rohr's mind that he is the real deal. I am convinced Rohr will not ignore any player who does the business on the pitch.
Rohr has started him before, he just didn’t stand out.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
bully12 wrote:

how many players have "not stood out" before ?

you can add every single SE player in that category.

You dont cast aside a bonafide talent who has lit up the leagues he plays in and is coveted by top teams because he did not "stand out" in ONE MATCH.

that would frankly be idiotic.

Onyekuru has stood out in the 2 matches I have seen him come in for a short period of time.

Algeria and Seychelles.

I think though that it may be an issue of defending with Onyekuru, and if that is the case then I will chose Kalu over him any day of the week.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
bully12 wrote:

why are you pervading malicious lies ? You watched the match he didn't stand or you came to your stupid and erreneous conclusion based on hearsay. Please be honest once in your lifetime. What match I may ask? Please post the video so others may watch and make their own inference or desist instantly from your foolish prevarication . Honestly I hate blatant and shameless liars whose intent are to denigrate someone.
Please tell how many times have Musa, Kelechi and Ighalo have played very poorly yet the angel* continues to feature them prominently ?
This continuous neglecting of Onyekuru by this fool of a human being is definitely insidious and something that does not meet the eyes but surely not a football reason. There is no question in my mind Onyekuru is in the same with Mohammed Salah and no other Nigerian player comes remotely including the highly adulated Kalu.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
bully12 wrote:

why are you pervading malicious lies ? You watched the match he didn't stand or you came to your stupid and erreneous conclusion based on hearsay. Please be honest once in your lifetime. What match I may ask? Please post the video so others may watch and make their own inference or desist instantly from your foolish prevarication . Honestly I hate blatant and shameless liars whose intent are to denigrate someone.
Please tell how many times have Musa, Kelechi and Ighalo have played very poorly yet the angel* continues to feature them prominently ?
This continuous neglecting of Onyekuru by this fool of a human being is definitely insidious and something that does not meet the eyes but surely not a football reason. There is no question in my mind Onyekuru is in the same with Mohammed Salah and no other Nigerian player comes remotely including the highly adulated Kalu.
You've now graduated to insulting people who don't share your shallow, flip-flopping POV.
E be like your Onitsha market grammar don expire and your way of remaining relevant na to insult everybody upandan.
You funny nor be small. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Onyekuru started against Togo and Corsica and came on against Algeria, Seychelles all 4 games. 2 starts and 2 substitutes appearance and he didn’t set the team ablaze. I believe that he is a young talent that’s a good understudy to the likes of musa, iheanacho etc and in the next 3 to 5 years, if he stays consistent he will dethrone them. As for now, the guy should remain humble and work hard because there are better players ahead of him
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
bully12 wrote:

I watched the match vs Togo, it was on Youtube live, Onyekuru didn't stand out...haba you want me to lie? Despite not standing out, Onyekuru is still in Rohr's plans and just played the last match yet thats not enough for you. You need to relax and let him PROVE himself in GWG. If he had a performance like Kalu just did he would be pushing for a starting spot.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
bully12 wrote:

You've now graduated to insulting people who don't share your shallow, flip-flopping POV.
E be like your Onitsha market grammar don expire and your way of remaining relevant na to insult everybody upandan.
You funny nor be small. :rotf:
Snake oil seller honestly I do not have your time . Unscrupulous human being.