Nigeria Begins a Post World Cup Era with Seychelles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria Begins a Post World Cup Era with Seychelles

Post by txj »

Nigeria's match against Seychelles marked the beginning of the second half of the Gernot Rohr era, following a largely unremarkable world cup, defined more by what could've been.

http://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/2018/ ... -with.html
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria Begins a Post World Cup Era with Seychelles

Post by txj »

Readers of my blog might have noticed that I am yet to pen a review of Nigeria's world cup performance. This is largely the result of the fact that in my opinion, the key issues in the overall performance reflect long term problems that relate more to Pinnick and his leadership of the NFF, than Gernot Rohr, and would need to be addressed separately.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The reality is that the production of talent, both in terms of quality and numbers has stalled badly in Nigeria, and this relates to issues in the organization of the domestic game, both at the technical and the management level. The Nigerian domestic game has proven to be incapable of developing players of international calibre, a situation that has existed since the early 2000s, with no serious attempt at resolution. Perhaps nothing underlined this sad state of affairs than the use of goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, from the youth side of a relegated La Liga side.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

txj wrote:The reality is that the production of talent, both in terms of quality and numbers has stalled badly in Nigeria, and this relates to issues in the organization of the domestic game, both at the technical and the management level. The Nigerian domestic game has proven to be incapable of developing players of international calibre, a situation that has existed since the early 2000s, with no serious attempt at resolution. Perhaps nothing underlined this sad state of affairs than the use of goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, from the youth side of a relegated La Liga side.

I'm curious, at which point do you lay the blame on domestic clubs?

FUFA endured the same problems on the domestic front with clubs obstinately sabotaging federation plans and players.
The opportunists, running clubs were mostly to blame and professionalizing their operations has been a struggle.

Pinnick cannot do everything. I think the clubs and states should meet the NFF halfway.
The current drama doesn't help either and is another example of why one may be inclined to give Pinnick a break.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Same old, same old from Rohr today.

They'll qualify for the ANC - probably behind South Africa - and I'm expecting little at the tournament.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I see you somewhat agree with me regarding Ighalo.
He really has no business being in the squad, inspite of Rohr insisting on a holdup man.
I mean, of what use is a hold up man who continues to holdup our counter-attacking play and flow?

The sooner the guy is off the squad, the sooner our attack will be more fluid and the squad will score more goals.
txj wrote:Nigeria's match against Seychelles marked the beginning of the second half of the Gernot Rohr era, following a largely unremarkable world cup, defined more by what could've been.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Kabalega wrote:
txj wrote:The reality is that the production of talent, both in terms of quality and numbers has stalled badly in Nigeria, and this relates to issues in the organization of the domestic game, both at the technical and the management level. The Nigerian domestic game has proven to be incapable of developing players of international calibre, a situation that has existed since the early 2000s, with no serious attempt at resolution. Perhaps nothing underlined this sad state of affairs than the use of goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, from the youth side of a relegated La Liga side.

I'm curious, at which point do you lay the blame on domestic clubs?

FUFA endured the same problems on the domestic front with clubs obstinately sabotaging federation plans and players.
The opportunists, running clubs were mostly to blame and professionalizing their operations has been a struggle.

Pinnick cannot do everything. I think the clubs and states should meet the NFF halfway.
The current drama doesn't help either and is another example of why one may be inclined to give Pinnick a break.
You are right that most of the responsibility lies with the clubs.

But Pinnick holds the keys to the access door to the NPFL.

He must use the leverage to force real changes or nothing will happen.

The US Major League clubs which all started a few years ago are already well ahead of Nigerian clubs; far ahead...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The job of a manager is to deal with reality...Ighalo is the current reality...

Otitokoro wrote:I see you somewhat agree with me regarding Ighalo.
He really has no business being in the squad, inspite of Rohr insisting on a holdup man.
I mean, of what use is a hold up man who continues to holdup our counter-attacking play and flow?

The sooner the guy is off the squad, the sooner our attack will be more fluid and the squad will score more goals.
txj wrote:Nigeria's match against Seychelles marked the beginning of the second half of the Gernot Rohr era, following a largely unremarkable world cup, defined more by what could've been.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

One option in the current reality. There are others.
txj wrote:The job of a manager is to deal with reality...Ighalo is the current reality...

danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I am in VIOLENT disagreement with you regarding the statement you made (emboldened). Current reality is what you make of it!!
You may choose continued reliance on a guy who has repeatedly failed to deliver when it matters (with the false hope that he would get better with age - notwithstanding the fact that he is on the downward slope of his career at 30 or so). Or you may chose to explore other, more credible and viable options out there, with the hope of finding a better fit. I mean, of what use is someone who is supposedly good at 'hold up play', when he holds up play during our counter attack and contributes absolutely nothing else?

I would strongly argue that NOW is the time to start grooming potential candidates for the position. You mentioned Solanke as an option. I would throw in Danjuma (Club Brugges), Dessers (FC Twente) and Simy into the mix. They all have great pace, good ball sense and imposing physical presence, something Ighalo at 5'7" absolutely lacks and will never have.

As an interim measure, use Musa as the point man. His pace down the center will complement our pacy wing play. You cant beat that!
txj wrote:The job of a manager is to deal with reality...Ighalo is the current reality...

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Nff really need to step it up and poach Solanke, now that he isn't on England's radar... Danjuma will also be a big coup for us. Ighalo is useless.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

TXJ: Cameroon is the HOST of the AFCON-2019; why are they playing in the qualifiers? Is it to enhance their skills (preparation)? Any Forumer who know why should please [also] answer my question. Thanks "Txj" and to all - in advance.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Exactly, Nigeria is to exactly brimming with world class striking talent. The back up striker on the bench against Seychelles was Simy Nwankwo (a Div 2 player). Other options outside the squad include Osimhen and Kayode. Not exactly elite goalscorers.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Nice write up. I agree that we have to move on from Ighalo. There is no way he is the best option we have to serve as a target man.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote:One option in the current reality. There are others.

He's trying to make the best of the options available to him by adjusting the role of the wide players, but clearly he can and should be doing more...

However, on Ighalo's starting role as a lone striker, there's not too much to fault him on, given the alternatives...which is in part why I suggested Solanke, who I believe can take that spot from him...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

metalalloy wrote:Nice write up. I agree that we have to move on from Ighalo. There is no way he is the best option we have to serve as a target man.

As at today, I don't see a better option in that lone striker role, sad to say...outside the use of a wide player like Musa.

Most of those been proposed are based on the expectations from potential, not reality...

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Question for you on Omeruo's positioning on the first Argie goal based on the the map above. Is this something that you have observed on multiple occasions with him? I think its a bit harsh to judge him based off this mistake on that messi goal which was as a result of a heck of a move by Messi as he moved towards the ball causing Omeruo to bite (when this snapshot was taken) and then Banega dropped the ball into the space behind the defense.

I thought the error was a fault of the repeated lack of pressure on Banega, coupled with the high line that we played (especially in light of the lack of speed in our CB's) which gave Argentina time and space to repeatedly drop the ball behind the CB's. Idowu was also caught ball watching, and didn't anticipate/track messi's run. The CB's in the back 3 are supposed to stay pretty close to each other, with the WB dropping to support on the flanks in the non-possessory stage.

[/video]
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

@Metalalloy: watch his starting position on the play below

Reminder: this is against Seychelles

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

txj wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Nice write up. I agree that we have to move on from Ighalo. There is no way he is the best option we have to serve as a target man.

As at today, I don't see a better option in that lone striker role, sad to say...outside the use of a wide player like Musa.

Most of those been proposed are based on the expectations from potential, not reality...
txj, the reality in football is simple......you play a system that will fit ur players not the other way round.....if u dont have that bossy lone striker, then DON'T PLAY THAT SYSTEM....look around successful club teams, that Hesky type striker is going out of fashion.....look at City, Liverpool etc

play onyekuru/musa....Iheanacho......Kalu
...................................Iwobi.......................

play a goal scoring forward, and a system that will fit him. all this call for non-scoring strikers like Awoniyi/Oshimen/Dressers etc should stop
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Enyi wrote:
txj wrote:

txj, the reality in football is simple......you play a system that will fit ur players not the other way round.....if u dont have that bossy lone striker, then DON'T PLAY THAT SYSTEM....look around successful club teams, that Hesky type striker is going out of fashion.....look at City, Liverpool etc

play onyekuru/musa....Iheanacho......Kalu
...................................Iwobi.......................

play a goal scoring forward, and a system that will fit him. all this call for non-scoring strikers like Awoniyi/Oshimen/Dressers etc should stop

Enyi, abeg you sabi football! :clap:
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"