REPORT on Internal Migration in the NPFL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
REPORT on Internal Migration in the NPFL

Post by Enugu II »

This is a report on internal migration of football labour in the NPFL. Click on link below.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ite_League
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
charlie
Egg
Egg
Re: REPORT on Internal Migration in the NPFL

Post by charlie »

Great research Enugu II. First I have seen of its kind on the Nigerian League.
As always, you deliver first rate, positive content.

Couple of questions if I may:

1. Are there any clubs in Nigeria with a reputation for timely payment of their contractual obligations? The report makes it clear that even the perceived big clubs have reputations for financial instability.
2. What is the final destination/goals/aspirations of the players you interviewed? Is it financial success (obviously most likely through foreign transfers/contracts), or is it long term recognition at club/national level? .
3. How many of the players sampled are married or with wives/kids? I noticed the average age of most of the players sampled is 23-24 years which is still relatively young but you mentioned one of the drawbacks identified was lack of familial support, so I was curious some of the players had significant family obligations restricting their movements.
4. What steps are being taken (if any) to solve the wage issue in Nigerian football? This seems to be a recurring issue at the root source of the relatively poor performance of the Nigerian league teams on the continental stage. Are there any clubs showing any viable financial success?

5 [One more question] What percentage of Nigerian clubs experience this kind of turnover in their teams? And what percentage is of turnover is experienced by the most successful teams? Is there any corrolation between high turnover rate and poor league performance?

Thanks in advance
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: REPORT on Internal Migration in the NPFL

Post by Enugu II »

charlie,

Thanks for your comments and questions. I would be delighted to address additional questions if you have them. You can also send to me a PM. My responses are highlighted below.
charlie wrote:Great research Enugu II. First I have seen of its kind on the Nigerian League.
As always, you deliver first rate, positive content.

Couple of questions if I may:

1. Are there any clubs in Nigeria with a reputation for timely payment of their contractual obligations? The report makes it clear that even the perceived big clubs have reputations for financial instability.
There are some seasons that clubs in the elite tier have done well but the same clubs under new management could default as well. An example of one with good reputation would be Kano Pillars.
2. What is the final destination/goals/aspirations of the players you interviewed? Is it financial success (obviously most likely through foreign transfers/contracts), or is it long term recognition at club/national level? .
Most of them were focused on financial aspirations often referencing playing overseas. However, we did not focus on such outside Nigeria aspirations for this study. Internally, there were quite a mixture of aspirations (surprising to me) that go beyond financial ones. The did mention clubs locally with aspiration being to play for what they referred to as "Big clubs" (This actually refers to legacy clubs)

3. How many of the players sampled are married or with wives/kids? I noticed the average age of most of the players sampled is 23-24 years which is still relatively young but you mentioned one of the drawbacks identified was lack of familial support, so I was curious some of the players had significant family obligations restricting their movements.
Of the top of my head, 13 of them. Surprising given their self-reported age. However, beyond the usually suspicion that these reported ages are inaccurate, it is also possible that they could seek earlier marriages because they are gainfully employed than most people within their age set.
4. What steps are being taken (if any) to solve the wage issue in Nigerian football? This seems to be a recurring issue at the root source of the relatively poor performance of the Nigerian league teams on the continental stage. Are there any clubs showing any viable financial success?
I am unaware of any club indicating financial success. Bear in mind that most are state owned. In terms of steps being taken? The LMC (manager of the league) periodically threatens to deny clubs registration in the league if they owe players. However, they have not been steadfast in enforcing this. On one occasion the LMC attempted for a couple of weeks when they denied Akure Sunshine Stars registration & use of new players because they owed existing and previous players.

5 [One more question] What percentage of Nigerian clubs experience this kind of turnover in their teams? And what percentage is of turnover is experienced by the most successful teams? Is there any corrolation between high turnover rate and poor league performance?

Unfortunately, I cannot answer for this study questions requiring quantification because the data collection was strictly based on qualitative measures. To be able to address quantification questions would require far more than the 15 participants that we had in this study and would require different data collection measures.

Thanks in advance
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics