U17 AFCON: Nigeria vs Ghana...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U17 AFCON: Nigeria vs Ghana...

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Everything in life is relative. We lament about the state of Nigeria because of her potential. We all know that Nigeria should be a G10 nation with her human and natural resources, which is why we agonise over our socio-economic woes.

However, if we want to put everything into context, just appreciate the fact that every other African nation wishes they were Nigeria. Just imagine being say Gambian, Sierra Leonian, Eritrean, Mauritanian, Malawian, Libyan, etc. Do you know that you will never be able to tag yourself African champion in any event?

We in contrast take such things for granted. In 2019, we are aiming to win the U17, U20 and senior football tournaments. Yes, Naija can win all three trophies as we did in 2013.

Golden Eaglets win Wafu football tournament and qualify for Nations Cup by beating Ghana - See more at: https://goo.gl/8EM8Tt
Your mentality is just wrong I'm sorry to say. If your son brings his report card and he's 15th in a class of 30, would you say "well done son, at least you're not the last".
Why compare us to Libya, Gambia etc? So we can appreciate mediocrity?
Abeg contribute something better. Compare us to nations above us so know how far we need to go and what needs to be done.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Orion wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:What? I thought Nigeria and Ghana had already qualified. This new format does not make logical sense. You cant use a lowest common denominator to determine the best teams in Africa. The system is rubish!!
I am truly amazed at how many on CE are unaware of this rule which was mentioned here severally before the last CAF elections! This and the movement of AFCON to the summer were both mentioned here. All CAF youth competitions will follow this format. Previously, under Hayatou, the only competition that followed this format was the Olympics/U-23 competition. The justification put forward was that youth competitions are not necessarily to win trophies but that the main goal was to develop football across the continent. Moreover, they (East/Central Africa mainly) argued that World Cup qualification follows the same basis of regional qualification e.g. one for Africa, Asia, etc and thus nothing wrong in an African competition using same regional concept i.e East, West, Central Africa, etc. They won the argument and here we are folks!

BTW, a similar argument was put forward a few years ago for the league in Nigeria where either a South and North zone will be created where champs from each of the leagues will then contest for the overall trophy. In this case, finance was used as the main but other support were reduce travel distance and team expenses, reduction of car road hazards and banditry attacks on teams.
I see the point but if they wanted to follow the WC format than they should have given West Africa more slots. As someone pointed out here, from 20 appearances West Africa won the cup 7 times. The other regions won 0 cups from 50+ appearances. Europe has more than double the WC slots of Africa even with fewer countries. So, if they used regional WC qualification as their argument then for the sake of fairness they should reward the regions that have put more work into developing their youth systems. This will, in fact, encourage the other regions to work even harder so they too can get rewarded with more slots.

Edit: OK, looking at the draw, West Africa does have more spots than the other regions so it seems they've taken past performance into consideration. However, they split WA into two sub-regions and gave 2 spots to a bunch of weaker nations in youth football, leaving the stronger nations in WA (i.e past winners of the African cup) Nigeria, Ghana, and CIV with only one spot.
I am all for improving regional development of African footbaall. However the current qualification format for youth tournaments will not achieve this goal. Reserving spots for other regional teams to gain global exposure, while on paper might seem a worthy cause, it will do nothing to improve grass roots football in these nations unless they actually do more than play 3 games and go home at the world tournament. And I dont see how can they do well when they have not proven themselves amongst the continents best.

There is a reason why the strongest steel is made in the hottest furnace. It is the same reason why Europe keep on producing the best WC performers consistently. When you (Croatia, Iceland, Switzerland, Russia, Belgium,..etc) have to beat countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Netherlands to get to the Mundial, you know you deserve your place.

A compromise is not that hard to find in my opinion, the regional format can be tweaked to improve the level of competition. In fact, keep the regional format, but increase the amount of spots qualifying from each group to the top 3. Then increase the group stages at the African U17 and add a Quarter finals before the semis. This way, Africa's representatives get tested against more teams before they qualify for the global tournament.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pajimoh wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Congratulations to Nigeria but I hope you guys now realize that in soccer terms, Amaju Pinnick is the anti Christ. For personal ambition, he is supporting policies that have the potential to degrade Nigerian and African football drastically. Already, one of Africa’s strongest U17 prospects, Ghana, has been sidelined. With this reprehensible format, it’s only a matter of time before Nigeria suffers the same fate. Furthermore, who’s to say that this format will not eventually be extended to AFCON proper? Somebody said earlier, shame on AFC. More to the point, shame on Amaju Pinnick :!:

Cheers.
Why are we blaming Pinnick alone? Nyantekyi was second in command when the format was changed. How can we tell whether Pinnick voted for or against the new format?

Was West Africa out voted due to the collective votes of the rest of Africa?

All I know is this new format ain't it. Who is to blame would require more info but collectively, CAF has failed
Interestingly, the Ghanaians are blaming Nyantekyi. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Congratulations to Nigeria but I hope you guys now realize that in soccer terms, Amaju Pinnick is the anti Christ. For personal ambition, he is supporting policies that have the potential to degrade Nigerian and African football drastically. Already, one of Africa’s strongest U17 prospects, Ghana, has been sidelined. With this reprehensible format, it’s only a matter of time before Nigeria suffers the same fate. Furthermore, who’s to say that this format will not eventually be extended to AFCON proper? Somebody said earlier, shame on AFC. More to the point, shame on Amaju Pinnick :!:

Cheers.
Why are we blaming Pinnick alone? Nyantekyi was second in command when the format was changed. How can we tell whether Pinnick voted for or against the new format?

All I know is this new format ain't it. Who is to blame would require more info but collectively, CAF has failed
Dafunk, our winning must make you really mad !! considering you and your hero pinnick dont think winning matters so much at this level !!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I am just surprised that CE suddenly woke up on tis matter. I wrote about this new format and how it disadvantages West Africa at the CAF election time but no one, at CE, even cared to discuss it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

JACKAL wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Cheers.

Dafunk, our winning must make you really mad !! considering you and your hero pinnick dont think winning matters so much at this level !!
Are you bored and looking for conversation?
Maybe you should go to church

But yes, I am absolutely livid. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Enugu II wrote:I am just surprised that CE suddenly woke up on tis matter. I wrote about this new format and how it disadvantages West Africa at the CAF election time but no one, at CE, even cared to discuss it.
We knew the repercussion of the format when you highlighted it. The fight against it rests with the people who passed it and not fans.

Imagining the effect and actually witnessing it are totally two different things. Had Ghana played badly and lost by 4 goals or something, I don't think the uproar would have been this much.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

pajimoh wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I am just surprised that CE suddenly woke up on tis matter. I wrote about this new format and how it disadvantages West Africa at the CAF election time but no one, at CE, even cared to discuss it.
We knew the repercussion of the format when you highlighted it. The fight against it rests with the people who passed it and not fans.

Imagining the effect and actually witnessing it are totally two different things. Had Ghana played badly and lost by 4 goals or something, I don't think the uproar would have been this much.
This! To see Nigerians defending Ghana's interest must mean something serious has gone wrong.
Besides, its hard to criticize a new idea until you test it out and see the flaws first hand.

Unfortunately we will not have any final arguments to change course, until we see how other African nations perform in Peru.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Wow! Not one person has mocked Ghana. However, our resident troll has just opened another thread mocking the Super Eagles.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Victorious Nigeria U-17 Golden Eaglet at WAFU B U-17

WAFU B U-17 ball boy Samson Tijani

WAFU B U-17 highest goal scorer Kunle Olusegun

Real young boys :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

aruako1 wrote:Wow! Not one person has mocked Ghana. However, our resident troll has just opened another thread mocking the Super Eagles.

civility get levels.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I recall expressing my total disgust about the situation either in your post or another but you know that everything in Nigeria is a popularity contest so that when you finger a popular person like Pinnick for blame, his supporters who are numerous either turn on you or avoid the discussion like a plague. As long as we continue to favor style over substance, I’m afraid Nigeria will continue to enjoy only fleeting moments of success in international competition. As for the premise that this format will improve the overall standard of African football, you and I both know that’s hogwash. You can’t improve the standard of football in Africa by sectionalizing qualification for tournaments but by expanding the scope of the tournament. Nigeria is a regular participant in the World Cup nowadays mostly because the number of participants was increased, first to 24 and then to 32. Why can’t Africa learn to do things properly :?: :!:

Cheers.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Senegal and Guinea join Tanzania (hosts), Angola, Morocco, Cameroon, Uganda and Nigeria at the final tournament.

Easy bets to make the 2019 World Cup would be Senegal, Morocco, Cameroon and Nigeria.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
I recall expressing my total disgust about the situation either in your post or another but you know that everything in Nigeria is a popularity contest so that when you finger a popular person like Pinnick for blame, his supporters who are numerous either turn on you or avoid the discussion like a plague. As long as we continue to favor style over substance, I’m afraid Nigeria will continue to enjoy only fleeting moments of success in international competition. As for the premise that this format will improve the overall standard of African football, you and I both know that’s hogwash. You can’t improve the standard of football in Africa by sectionalizing qualification for tournaments but by expanding the scope of the tournament. Nigeria is a regular participant in the World Cup nowadays mostly because the number of participants was increased, first to 24 and then to 32. Why can’t Africa learn to do things properly :?: :!:

Cheers.
The West Africans were likely outvoted but if you must blame someone it shouldn't be Pinnick anyway. As others have pointed out, Nyantekyi was the most senior West African in CAF then. Pinnick's only sin I guess is that he voted against Hayatou. But most here agree that Hayatou needed to go anyway. He had been there for too long and had become stale just like Blatter.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

marutimon wrote:Senegal and Guinea join Tanzania (hosts), Angola, Morocco, Cameroon, Uganda and Nigeria at the final tournament.

Easy bets to make the 2019 World Cup would be Senegal, Morocco, Cameroon and Nigeria.
Depends on the grouping
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Abbey wrote:
marutimon wrote:Senegal and Guinea join Tanzania (hosts), Angola, Morocco, Cameroon, Uganda and Nigeria at the final tournament.

Depends on the grouping
Watch them do something like this just to screw the West Africans even more

Group A
Tanzania
Angola
Uganda
Morocco

Group B
Nigeria
Cameroon
Guinea
Senegal
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Cheers.
If there is no sectionalizing, Africa may not even be at World Cup.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Oguleftie wrote:Why are you complaining?
Pinnick voted for it in CAF meetings so they will put him in the executive council.
Blame Pinnick not CAF.
The elephant in the room... Hey, He has put Nigeria back on CAF and about to become CAF president.

Sold his country and region down for personal ambition. All hail the greatest NFF chairman :tic: :tic:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

The WAFU B Zone (Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso) should have 2 slots instead of WAFU A Zone (Mali, Guinea). 2 out of 9 from a weaker zone against 1 out of 7 from a stronger zone is not ideal.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

folem wrote:

Cheers.
If there is no sectionalizing, Africa may not even be at World Cup.
Normally, I do not respond to ill concieved comments such as yours but I need to set you straight on this point. Merely being in the World Cup did not improve African football. Playing other top African teams and realizing the need to develop grass roots football is what helped certain countries to improve. The introduction of youth football led to international scouting and the further development of young African players. Remember that Africa, despite being in the World Cup since the early 20th century, did not make any inroads in the World Cup until the likes of Algeria and Cameroon showed up in 1982. Those teams were able to compete because of the work they put into developing their football. You can’t cut corners in developing football merely by decreeing that certain teams be exposed to international competition. It didn’t work for Egypt and Morocco. It wasn’t until their was lively competition in African football that we started to see reasonably good African teams. In South America, they don’t have World Cup qualifying groups, just one big pot. Any South American country that has World Cup aspirations has to go through the Brazils and the Argentinas. That’s why every South American team you play at the World Cup is as tough as nails. At the last World Cup, African teams, even though they did not advance beyond the first round, weren’t so easy to navigate. Africa is slowly getting there but we must continue on the path of grassroots development and unrestricted competition rather than zoning out qualification for premium tournaments :!:

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The complaints here remind me of Europeans complaining about the allocation of world cup slots....

As long as your youth football is developing, being at the FIFA U-17 world cup, though important, is secondary...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Quota system is wrong.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

ohenhen1 wrote:Quota system is wrong.
When it does not favor you...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp