U17 AFCON: Nigeria vs Ghana...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U17 AFCON: Nigeria vs Ghana...

Post by pajimoh »

Seriously gutted for the bredas. The more I think about nit the more upsetting it is. I don't think they lost a match in this tournament. To put strong teams together and expect only one to qualify and put weaker teams together so some can qualify is very African in its lack of critical thinking. Other continents are coming well armed and what do we do, we weaken ourselves just for regional gratification.

CAF is effed up and fans need to let them know. Some very talented players will be denied a world stage while some will be running around........
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

pajimoh wrote:Seriously gutted for the bredas. The more I think about nit the more upsetting it is. I don't think they lost a match in this tournament. To put strong teams together and expect only one to qualify and put weaker teams together so some can qualify is very African in its lack of critical thinking. Other continents are coming well armed and what do we do, we weaken ourselves just for regional gratification.

CAF is effed up and fans need to let them know. Some very talented players will be denied a world stage while some will be running around........
That's equality of outcome for you. that is the stage we are in this world now not just Africa. political correctness is so rife that those that have worked hard to attain their status are the oppressors whereas the mediocre ones are considered the oppressed victims. So instead of creating equal opportunity for all, they create outcomes and handouts [for them to "catch up"]. Where do you think the idea of expanding the world cup to 48 teams come from? pardon me if I sound too political
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

pajimoh wrote:Seriously gutted for the bredas. The more I think about nit the more upsetting it is. I don't think they lost a match in this tournament. To put strong teams together and expect only one to qualify and put weaker teams together so some can qualify is very African in its lack of critical thinking. Other continents are coming well armed and what do we do, we weaken ourselves just for regional gratification.

Blame the likes of the Ugandan and Kenyan loudmouths on this site that only know how to play football on paper. They whined loudly enough to get the qualification system changed. Quite sad. Oh well, time for Ghana to go and raise hell, we got ours!

well done boys :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

DIMKA76 wrote:What? I thought Nigeria and Ghana had already qualified. This new format does not make logical sense. You cant use a lowest common denominator to determine the best teams in Africa. The system is rubish!!
I am truly amazed at how many on CE are unaware of this rule which was mentioned here severally before the last CAF elections! This and the movement of AFCON to the summer were both mentioned here. All CAF youth competitions will follow this format. Previously, under Hayatou, the only competition that followed this format was the Olympics/U-23 competition. The justification put forward was that youth competitions are not necessarily to win trophies but that the main goal was to develop football across the continent. Moreover, they (East/Central Africa mainly) argued that World Cup qualification follows the same basis of regional qualification e.g. one for Africa, Asia, etc and thus nothing wrong in an African competition using same regional concept i.e East, West, Central Africa, etc. They won the argument and here we are folks!

BTW, a similar argument was put forward a few years ago for the league in Nigeria where either a South and North zone will be created where champs from each of the leagues will then contest for the overall trophy. In this case, finance was used as the main but other support were reduce travel distance and team expenses, reduction of car road hazards and banditry attacks on teams.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

metalalloy wrote:

Blame the likes of the Ugandan and Kenyan loudmouths on this site that only know how to play football on paper. They whined loudly enough to get the qualification system changed. Quite sad. Oh well, time for Ghana to go and raise hell, we got ours!

well done boys :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well, we could very much have been the ones on the outside looking in, so its in our interest to raise hell as well about the qualification format.

Unfortunately, it is only when the likes of Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya completely disgrace Africa at the mundial will CAF hear word.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Why wasn't the region awarded 2 slots in the first place??? This is the same WAFU B Region that has produced eight (8) U17 World Cup champions between Ghana and Nigeria. To say that this new format is very DAFT is an understatment, as Africa is simply cutting it's nose to spite it's face. There is absolutely NO intelligent reason why both teams should not be in the AFCON Championships in Tanzania - absolutely none!!!

This is beyond stupid and CAF needs to be put on blast for this. These South / East Africans are always trying to find ways to dumb down African football in general and this is clearly one of their foolish ideas.

marutimon wrote:
onovo wrote:
tunde72 wrote:Thus format is not good at all. Africa will be missing one of his best team in Ghana

Yeah ! Ghana is as good as Nigeria, Even Ivory Coast. CAF needs to review this quota nonsense !
Hopefully Nigeria with the U17 African Championship and in 2020 our region will have two slots.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Otitokoro wrote:Why wasn't the region awarded 2 slots in the first place??? This is the same WAFU B Region that has produced eight (8) U17 World Cup champions between Ghana and Nigeria. To say that this new format is very DAFT is an understatment, as Africa is simply cutting it's nose to spite it's face. There is absolutely NO intelligent reason why both teams should not be in the AFCON Championships in Tanzania - absolutely none!!!

This is beyond stupid and CAF needs to be put on blast for this. These South / East Africans are always trying to find ways to dumb down African football in general and this is clearly one of their foolish ideas.

marutimon wrote:
onovo wrote:
tunde72 wrote:Thus format is not good at all. Africa will be missing one of his best team in Ghana

Yeah ! Ghana is as good as Nigeria, Even Ivory Coast. CAF needs to review this quota nonsense !
Hopefully Nigeria with the U17 African Championship and in 2020 our region will have two slots.
According to the current format the region that won the previous U17 African Cup gets two slots in the next qualfication. Mali won in 2016, so WAFU A (Senegal, Guinea, Mali, Cape Verde).
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Nigeria at the U17 World Cup:
5 golds, 3 silvers in 11 appearances.

Ghana at the U17 World Cup:
2 golds, 2 silvers, 1 bronze and one 4th in 9 appearances.

The rest of Africa:
0 golds, 1 silver, 2 bronzes and 2 4th in some 50+ appearances.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Enugu II wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:What? I thought Nigeria and Ghana had already qualified. This new format does not make logical sense. You cant use a lowest common denominator to determine the best teams in Africa. The system is rubish!!
I am truly amazed at how many on CE are unaware of this rule which was mentioned here severally before the last CAF elections! This and the movement of AFCON to the summer were both mentioned here. All CAF youth competitions will follow this format. Previously, under Hayatou, the only competition that followed this format was the Olympics/U-23 competition. The justification put forward was that youth competitions are not necessarily to win trophies but that the main goal was to develop football across the continent. Moreover, they (East/Central Africa mainly) argued that World Cup qualification follows the same basis of regional qualification e.g. one for Africa, Asia, etc and thus nothing wrong in an African competition using same regional concept i.e East, West, Central Africa, etc. They won the argument and here we are folks!

BTW, a similar argument was put forward a few years ago for the league in Nigeria where either a South and North zone will be created where champs from each of the leagues will then contest for the overall trophy. In this case, finance was used as the main but other support were reduce travel distance and team expenses, reduction of car road hazards and banditry attacks on teams.
Accepted, this is now the new format, nothing we can say that would change it. What bothers me is the fact that in the era when this format or something similar to it ensued, the argument used against increasing the Africa quota was the poor performance at the main event. How ironic that we have now reverted to such a similar selection process. Countries like Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroun fought hard to put Africa's face on the world map then others come to cream off the top. Insult upon injury.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

marutimon wrote:Nigeria at the U17 World Cup:
5 golds, 3 silvers in 11 appearances.

Ghana at the U17 World Cup:
2 golds, 2 silvers, 1 bronze and one 4th in 9 appearances.

The rest of Africa:
0 golds, 1 silver, 2 bronzes and 2 4th in some 50+ appearances.

Five U-17 World Cup wins for Naija :shock:

Wow.

But we never reach even quarter finals for World Cup ? :?

Okay oh
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

pajimoh wrote:
aykwes8 wrote:
onovo wrote:

only the winner qualifies to the world cup? why change the old format
The winner qualifies for the main u17 Africa Championship and the semi finalists from that qualify for the WC
What sort of raggedy format is this? Na wa for CAF. Bunch of dummies.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

It’s so stupid this their new format. Corruption again rears it’s ugly head to prevent the progress of deserved kids who’ve earned it. Super daft.
Otitokoro wrote:Why wasn't the region awarded 2 slots in the first place??? This is the same WAFU B Region that has produced eight (8) U17 World Cup champions between Ghana and Nigeria. To say that this new format is very DAFT is an understatment, as Africa is simply cutting it's nose to spite it's face. There is absolutely NO intelligent reason why both teams should not be in the AFCON Championships in Tanzania - absolutely none!!!

marutimon wrote:
onovo wrote:

JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

I am really glad we qualified for the next round. Not going to the U-17 WC would have been devastating and a complete rebuke and indictment of all our successes in this age group competition.

After watching the way we played in the first half and then conceding that first goal, I was very skeptical of our chances, but they came through which is fantastic. Congrats to our MRI verified U-17 team.

I do share all your criticism of this new format, however, I don't think this is all the doing of the Africans themselves. I still think the Europeans are the ones playing 3 dimensional chess here with our chances. They are the ones who fought for and instituted the MRI regime and I believe they are the ones who orchestrated the thinking for this new format.

Not only do they take out the "age" advantage of our teams, but also they reduce the quantity of motivated teams to one. If they cant beat us on the field, they will beat us from the board room. Its no surprise that Europe for the fist time in the tournaments history had 2 European teams in the last finals. Whereas Africa would normally have 4 strong teams, now we are reduced to one which statistically reduces our winning odds.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

So there's no way someone can actually find the full match to watch online?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote:

I see the point but if they wanted to follow the WC format than they should have given West Africa more slots. As someone pointed out here, from 20 appearances West Africa won the cup 7 times. The other regions won 0 cups from 50+ appearances. Europe has more than double the WC slots of Africa even with fewer countries. So, if they used regional WC qualification as their argument then for the sake of fairness they should reward the regions that have put more work into developing their youth systems. This will, in fact, encourage the other regions to work even harder so they too can get rewarded with more slots.

Edit: OK, looking at the draw, West Africa does have more spots than the other regions so it seems they've taken past performance into consideration. However, they split WA into two sub-regions and gave 2 spots to a bunch of weaker nations in youth football, leaving the stronger nations in WA (i.e past winners of the African cup) Nigeria, Ghana, and CIV with only one spot.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Menh! I missed this game again - eh? Na wich kain tin be des? Oooooooh!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

tunde72 wrote:We wonnnnn
Alright! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Up Eaglets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

DIMKA76 wrote: What? I thought Nigeria and Ghana had already qualified. This new format does not make logical sense. You cant use a lowest common denominator to determine the best teams in Africa. The system is rubish!!
That's what I had thought as well, damn! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Congratulations to Nigeria but I hope you guys now realize that in soccer terms, Amaju Pinnick is the anti Christ. For personal ambition, he is supporting policies that have the potential to degrade Nigerian and African football drastically. Already, one of Africa’s strongest U17 prospects, Ghana, has been sidelined. With this reprehensible format, it’s only a matter of time before Nigeria suffers the same fate. Furthermore, who’s to say that this format will not eventually be extended to AFCON proper? Somebody said earlier, shame on AFC. More to the point, shame on Amaju Pinnick :!:

Cheers.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

There are other voters ^^^
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

CAF got to stop this nonsense. Go back to the previous system. Maybe have a 24 team tournament. Quota or zoning system that is destroying Nigeria must not be allowed to destroy African youth competitions.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Congratulations to Nigeria but I hope you guys now realize that in soccer terms, Amaju Pinnick is the anti Christ. For personal ambition, he is supporting policies that have the potential to degrade Nigerian and African football drastically. Already, one of Africa’s strongest U17 prospects, Ghana, has been sidelined. With this reprehensible format, it’s only a matter of time before Nigeria suffers the same fate. Furthermore, who’s to say that this format will not eventually be extended to AFCON proper? Somebody said earlier, shame on AFC. More to the point, shame on Amaju Pinnick :!:

Cheers.
Why are we blaming Pinnick alone? Nyantekyi was second in command when the format was changed. How can we tell whether Pinnick voted for or against the new format?

Was West Africa out voted due to the collective votes of the rest of Africa?

All I know is this new format ain't it. Who is to blame would require more info but collectively, CAF has failed
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Everything in life is relative. We lament about the state of Nigeria because of her potential. We all know that Nigeria should be a G10 nation with her human and natural resources, which is why we agonise over our socio-economic woes.

However, if we want to put everything into context, just appreciate the fact that every other African nation wishes they were Nigeria. Just imagine being say Gambian, Sierra Leonian, Eritrean, Mauritanian, Malawian, Libyan, etc. Do you know that you will never be able to tag yourself African champion in any event?

We in contrast take such things for granted. In 2019, we are aiming to win the U17, U20 and senior football tournaments. Yes, Naija can win all three trophies as we did in 2013.

Golden Eaglets win Wafu football tournament and qualify for Nations Cup by beating Ghana - See more at: https://goo.gl/8EM8Tt