Ex-Wolves & Nigeria keeper Carl Ikeme on cancer

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Ex-Wolves & Nigeria keeper Carl Ikeme on cancer

Post by wanaj0 »

Ex-Wolves & Nigeria keeper Carl Ikeme on cancer which took his career - and almost his life

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45591373
Very interesting article. He will need ALL the help he can get. I hope he can get something that will help stabilize his finances.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ex-Wolves & Nigeria keeper Carl Ikeme on cancer

Post by Damunk »

Tragic, but still a wonderful story.

Nigeria is behind him all the way.

"I can't explain how joyous playing for Nigeria was for me. To know my whole family was proud. To know I was representing 200 million people who are mad about football. I love it there"

This is what people need to understand about some of these foreign-born players, especially the mixed race ones. The experience is not something regular Nigerians like us can fully appreciate, because we take our people, our family, our country, our whole identity for granted.
So we tend to look at it from our personal perspectives.

But for the likes of Ikeme, Ekong, Balogun etc, it is a completely new and epiphanic experience and something they can never be quite prepared for.
Its a catharsis of sorts. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

wanaj0 wrote:
Ex-Wolves & Nigeria keeper Carl Ikeme on cancer which took his career - and almost his life

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45591373
Very interesting article. He will need ALL the help he can get. I hope he can get something that will help stabilize his finances.
Hmm, nice article. What a long and tedious journey for someone who became afraid of the future (for multiple reasons) after the diagnosis as a human, yet crossed the hurdle with a lot to tell and be proud/happy.

It reminds me of the butterfly I get each time I am going for my yearly "physical examination" with my primary care physician (PCP). While I think I am very healthy, one never know what will pop-up during the exam, but that is if one is lucky and whatever abnormality might exist is caught early.

In all, good for Carl. I wish him and his family more success and, lucky days ahead. Thanks for your LOVE for Nigeria, young man!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:Tragic, but still a wonderful story.

Nigeria is behind him all the way.

"I can't explain how joyous playing for Nigeria was for me. To know my whole family was proud. To know I was representing 200 million people who are mad about football. I love it there"

This is what people need to understand about some of these foreign-born players, especially the mixed race ones. The experience is not something regular Nigerians like us can fully appreciate, because we take our people, our family, our country, our whole identity for granted.
So we tend to look at it from our personal perspectives.

But for the likes of Ikeme, Ekong, Balogun etc, it is a completely new and epiphanic experience and something they can never be quite prepared for.
Its a catharsis of sorts. :idea:
Very true! Reading the article, one can feel how he felt from when he finally played for Nigeria before the World cup (WC), our games during the WC and even now. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

God bless him may he live longer and God make away something special for him to enjoy and live happy.
See as I dey shake.... this life guys is nothing no need get mad with one another oooh.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

putting him in goal may be the only positive accomplishment sunday Oliseh ever attained as Nigeria's Coach
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kajifu wrote:God bless him may he live longer and God make away something special for him to enjoy and live happy.
See as I dey shake.... this life guys is nothing no need get mad with one another oooh.
True words.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "