Enyimba 5 - 1 Rayon Sport...CAF Cup link incl.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Enyimba 5 - 1 Rayon Sport...CAF Cup link incl.

Post by wiseone »

Do tell - how many of Nigerian club side players from the 1980s and 1990s used to kiss their club badges and the camera to celebrate a goal? This is a recent phenomenon - brought on by influence of increased European football coverage on Nigerian TV.
Damunk wrote:
I don't see what is European about all that. I'm not even sure it started there.
Much of the modern game's colour, vibrancy and self-expression by way of celebrations come from non-European origins - south America and Africa.
Left to the Europeans, the game would be sterile.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

wiseone wrote:Do tell - how many of Nigerian club side players from the 1980s and 1990s used to kiss their club badges and the camera to celebrate a goal? This is a recent phenomenon - brought on by influence of increased European football coverage on Nigerian TV.
Damunk wrote:
I don't see what is European about all that. I'm not even sure it started there.
Much of the modern game's colour, vibrancy and self-expression by way of celebrations come from non-European origins - south America and Africa.
Nigerian clubside jersies didn’t have badges then :tic:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:Do tell - how many of Nigerian club side players from the 1980s and 1990s used to kiss their club badges and the camera to celebrate a goal? This is a recent phenomenon - brought on by influence of increased European football coverage on Nigerian TV.
Damunk wrote:
You're talking about goal celebrations in general from your post, not just kissing the badge.
We all borrow from each other. So when you say 'imitating European players' I challenge it becos it sounds like a non-constructive criticism.

Who will ever forget Roger Milla's corner flag dance at the 1990 World Cup?
"In the years that have followed, he (Milla) has been recognized as a pioneer of the many unconventional and imaginative goal celebrations seen since then."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Milla
What about the Bebeto baby-carrying celebration of the 1994 WC?
Yekini's net-shaking celebration in '94 nko?
Or is it the back-flip celebration that Nigerians seemed to have patented as their own?
Even further back, Pele has been credited with the iconic air-punching leap celebration.

So even if the badge-kissing routine is 'European' (which is arguable), it is just one of a whole array of more colourful celebrations which the non-European world has brought to the world game. If int'l coverage of football has allowed the game to become more multicultural, I'm not sure it is a negative thing as your initial post seems to suggest.

Forgive me if I am wrong.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "