Sheyi Ojo: England U20 World Cup winner open to rep Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

solo
Egg
Egg
Sheyi Ojo: England U20 World Cup winner open to rep Nigeria

Post by solo »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45619397

Sheyi Ojo: England U20 World Cup winner open to representing Nigeria
By Oluwashina Okeleji

Football Writer, Reims, France

5 hours ago From the sectionAfrican
Share this page
Sheyi Ojo
Sheyi Ojo helped England beat Venezuela 1-0 in the 2017 Fifa U-20 World Cup final
England Under-20 World Cup winner Sheyi Ojo says he would consider playing for Nigeria at senior international level - if the West African country came calling.

The 21-year-old, who is on loan at French club Reims from Liverpool, is eligible to play for the Super Eagles because his parents are Nigerians.

Under Fifa rules he can switch allegiances because he is yet to play for the senior side.

It's starting to get to the time where I have to start thinking about my future. And of course, if Nigeria were to call me now it would be an honour

Sheyi Ojo
England U-20 World Cup winner
And, despite 43 England caps from under-16 to under-21 level, Ojo is keen to fly with the Eagles.

"To be honest, I don't know much about it (Nigeria interest), but if they call me I'd be honoured to go to Nigeria," Ojo told BBC Sport.

"It's obviously a massive nation. I'm just really focused on club football at the moment, but I'm excited for the future, both club and country.

"My parents are originally from Nigeria as well, so they know a lot about it. They've always been keen on the idea [to represent Nigeria] but so far I've mainly been focusing on club football.

"It's starting to get to the time where I have to start thinking about my future. And of course, if Nigeria were to call me now it would be an honour."

ADVERTISEMENT

Ojo played five matches including the 1-0 win over Venezuela in the 2017 Fifa U-20 World Cup final to help England to their biggest international title since 1966.

Nigeria have previously succeeded in snapping up former England youth internationals like Sone Aluko, Victor Moses, Shola Ameobi, Alex Iwobi and Ola Aina for the Super Eagles.

The three-time African champions are also close to persuading Everton striker Ademola Lookman to play for them rather than England.

Sheyi Ojo
Sheyi Ojo is currently on loan at Reims in France from parent club Liverpool
Ojo, who joined Liverpool from MK Dons as a youth prospect in 2011, would love to join such an illustrious list.

"Of course, if I was to get selected I'd definitely think about it, I'd never turn down Nigeria," said Ojo.

"I'm from Nigeria originally so it'd be an honour, likewise with England as well. If I keep doing well, opportunities will come by for club and country.

"It's not really something I'm thinking about at the moment but you never know what could happen in the future."

For the moment, Ojo who has one goal in 13 appearances for Liverpool's senior side, is focusing on establishing himself with Reims.

After loan spells with Wigan Athletic, Wolves and, last season, Fulham, where he scored four goals in 24 appearances for the Cottagers, he opted for a challenge outside England to prove himself.

"Obviously, Reims has given me the opportunity to play regular football and I am pretty excited for the season, so hopefully it will be a good one," he added.

"The main aim is to use this as a platform. It's up to the Liverpool manager to give me the opportunities. I feel like so far I've done what I can to get the opportunity, obviously it hasn't come.

"Hence, why I am on loan and hopefully after this loan spell you never know what could happen. Opportunity could arise next season.

"I have some goals of my own, but I'll keep it to myself. Now it's just to help Reims do as well as they can. The main focus is to do well, shine as much as I can. Just to showcase what I can do in France and all around Europe."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Sheyi Ojo: England U20 World Cup winner open to rep Nige

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We have about 10 forwards and 15 wingers better than this boy. He berra start petitioning Wales and Northern Ireland :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We have about 10 forwards and 15 wingers better than this boy. He berra start petitioning Wales and Northern Ireland :laugh:
:lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

:rotf:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We have about 10 forwards and 15 wingers better than this boy. He berra start petitioning Wales and Northern Ireland :laugh:
I get it, the above is more of a figurative statement (else it'll sound like the very familiar confident Nigerian comment). I'm not sure you've seen Ojo in action. I tell you what. Earlier this year when rumours emerged that Moses Simon was being signed by Liverpool as a Sadio Mane back up, I knew it was very very unlikely..why? Because they have Sheyi Ojo and in my view, Sheyi Ojo is better than Moses Simon in most areas except for free kicks. I knew that as long as they keep sending someone like Ojo on loan, they have no need in the Mane area per back up (wing). You'll see Ojo vs Kalu in the French Ligue 1. Please watch the game..it'll give you another comparison.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Name them.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

icee wrote:
I get it, the above is more of a figurative statement (else it'll sound like the very familiar confident Nigerian comment). I'm not sure you've seen Ojo in action. I tell you what. Earlier this year when rumours emerged that Moses Simon was being signed by Liverpool as a Sadio Mane back up, I knew it was very very unlikely..why? Because they have Sheyi Ojo and in my view, Sheyi Ojo is better than Moses Simon in most areas except for free kicks. I knew that as long as they keep sending someone like Ojo on loan, they have no need in the Mane area per back up (wing). You'll see Ojo vs Kalu in the French Ligue 1. Please watch the game..it'll give you another comparison.
Sorry but if he can't take free kicks better than Simon he can forget about SE. :laugh: Gareth Bales needs somebody to relieve him when inured or tired,i'd start with them cos the only way that boy will see the GWG is if he comes to Abuja for the presidential inauguration in Abuja next yr. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

The YeyeMan wrote:
Name them.
1st Tier - Iwobi,Musa, Simon,Onyekuru , Kalu

2nd Tier - Success ,Bazee,Danjuma,Lookman, Bonaventure

3rd tier - Nwakeme, Eze, azango, Gong

Its not looking good for 24yr old sheyi Ojo :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Good. Hopefully the likes of Ovie E, Josh Onomah, Ademola Lookman and F.Tomori come on board. Dominic Solanke and Tammy Abraham are long shots. I doubt they will consider switching. Also, Ebere Eze needs to be capped ASAP. He is playing regularly for QPR and unlike the other players mentioned, he has not played for England at any level. If I were Rhor, He would be the 1st name on my 18 man list to face Libya.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

bret- hart wrote:Good. Hopefully the likes of Ovie E, Josh Onomah, Ademola Lookman and F.Tomori come on board. Dominic Solanke and Tammy Abraham are long shots. I doubt they will consider switching. Also, Ebere Eze needs to be capped ASAP. He is playing regularly for QPR and unlike the other players mentioned, he has not played for England at any level. If I were Rhor, He would be the 1st name on my 18 man list to face Libya.

We should just start a SE uk team, all others will have to prove they're good enough to play for SE uk. :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

He can play for the Mama Calabar Rovers.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Good. Hopefully the likes of Ovie E, Josh Onomah, Ademola Lookman and F.Tomori come on board. Dominic Solanke and Tammy Abraham are long shots. I doubt they will consider switching. Also, Ebere Eze needs to be capped ASAP. He is playing regularly for QPR and unlike the other players mentioned, he has not played for England at any level. If I were Rhor, He would be the 1st name on my 18 man list to face Libya.

We should just start a SE uk team, all others will have to prove they're good enough to play for SE uk. :roll:
It seems as if playing in the English Championship is the minimum requirement to play for Nigeria.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Eaglezbeak wrote:

It seems as if playing in the English Championship is the minimum requirement to play for Nigeria.
Dele Ali played for MK dons not too long ago but look at him now. BTW Ojo plays for Reins on loan from Liverpool not Division 1. The boy is good enough.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Dele Ali played for MK dons not too long ago but look at him now. BTW Ojo plays for Reins on loan from Liverpool not Division 1. The boy is good enough.

I haven't seen him play. In all honesty for those who are in the know, how does he rate compared to

Onyekuru
Simon Moses
Samuel Kalu
Alex Iwobi

Also how does he rate compared to guys like Lookman, Danjuma etc. What kind of a player is he ? I assume Lookman would be a bigger coup than Ojo
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

I haven't seen him play. In all honesty for those who are in the know, how does he rate compared to

Onyekuru
Simon Moses
Samuel Kalu
Alex Iwobi

Also how does he rate compared to guys like Lookman, Danjuma etc. What kind of a player is he ? I assume Lookman would be a bigger coup than Ojo
Funny enough, I'm not that sold on Lookman
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

I'm not denying that but he most likely is trying to get attention from Gareth Southgate by claiming he could switch to Nigeria,we always fall for this then start to cry once they run out for England (Tammy Abraham) or Germany (Sidney Sam).Are Nigerians too lazy to scout at home I hardly hear anything about up and coming youngsters in Nigeria that fans cry for a fast track to the first team of Nigeria.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

I'm not denying that but he most likely is trying to get attention from Gareth Southgate by claiming he could switch to Nigeria,we always fall for this then start to cry once they run out for England (Tammy Abraham) or Germany (Sidney Sam).Are Nigerians too lazy to scout at home I hardly hear anything about up and coming youngsters in Nigeria that fans cry for a fast track to the first team of Nigeria.
You hear about the youngsters when they are too young and inexperienced for the SE - its when they get called 'wonderkids'.
Next thing you hear is when they get whisked abroad.

You just have to accept the fact that not only do foreign clubs cream off the best of local talent, but also the fact that every aspiring Nigerian footballer actually strives to get creamed off...and it doesn't matter how 'bad' the contract and conditions they end up working in.

It is no different from the young girls that get trafficked abroad with promises of work, accommodation etc, only to find they are working as sex slaves. Its easy recruitment of gullible, desperate, willing victims.
The only solution is attracting money into our local league and clubs - but are the owners of these our clubs even willing to pass on that money to the players and improve their general welfare?
Its not solely about the NFF, even tho we all agree they have a key role to play.

I watched Enyimba thrash Rayon Sport 5-1 yesterday in a CAF qualifier, but couldn't help wondering how these talented and dedicated young men were feeding their families and working towards their futures.

Its a reality we all have to come to terms with, even as we look for practical solutions. Its no different from how, in my profession, the whole industry is being sucked dry by the lure of foreign employment.

Its no rocket science my guy, but there are no easy answers. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Have no issues with the willingness to play for Nigeria if he will add and bring quality to squad - only problem is the current saturation in the position he plays in at moment.
we need more goalkeepers, left footed defenders and quality no10 to declare
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Damunk wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

You hear about the youngsters when they are too young and inexperienced for the SE - its when they get called 'wonderkids'.

You just have to accept the fact that not only do foreign clubs cream off the best of local talent, but also the fact that every aspiring Nigerian footballer actually strives to get creamed off...and it doesn't matter how 'bad' the contract and conditions they end up working in.

It is no different from the young girls that get trafficked abroad with promises of work, accommodation etc, only to find they are working as sex slaves. Its easy recruitment of gullible, desperate, willing victims.
The only solution is attracting money into our local league and clubs - but are the owners of these our clubs even willing to pass on that money to the players and improve their general welfare?
Its not solely about the NFF, even tho we all agree they have a key role to play.

I watched Enyimba thrash Rayon Sport 5-1 yesterday in a CAF qualifier, but couldn't help wondering how these talented and dedicated young men were feeding their families and working towards their futures.

Its a reality we all have to come to terms with, even as we look for practical solutions. Its no different from how, in my profession, the whole industry is being sucked dry by the lure of foreign employment.

Agreed but it is still possible Ojo wants to use his dual nationality status to get Gareth Southgates attention just as Tammy Abraham did which ended with the boy fulfilling his wish by playing in a friendly which exposed him as below average for England's standards.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Agreed but it is still possible Ojo wants to use his dual nationality status to get Gareth Southgates attention just as Tammy Abraham did which ended with the boy fulfilling his wish by playing in a friendly which exposed him as below average for England's standards.
but Tammy never declared publicly or said he wants to play for Nigeria like ojo - all we saw of tammy was picture with nnf president
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

@Walesvilla the publicity got Tammy a gig with the three lions,he or his agents could have shut down any communication with another party especially when they knew that it would go public.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Tammy is not even good enough for SE.

That guy is not even as good as Ighalo. He ain't better than Nacho or Simmy. Is he honestly better than Success, Onyekuru, Musa. I think not.

Let him enjoy his useless friendly cap for England abeg.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Damunk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Onyekuru
Simon Moses
Samuel Kalu
Alex Iwobi

Funny enough, I'm not that sold on Lookman
Lookman is good bro, trust me.

Seyi Ojo is also a good player but I think he is yet to fulfil his potential. I think all the players listed above are better than him although he really hasn't had the run of games to prove his potential. Hopefully he will do that this season on loan.
YNWA