Nigeria v Libya (4-0) FT - Ighalo (Hattrick lo mo), Kalu

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Nigeria v Libya (4-0) FT - Ighalo (Hattrick lo mo), Kalu

Post by Cellular »

Robbynice wrote:
wale1974 wrote:Bipolar people plenty this thread I swear................lol
As in...It is a shame honestly, a damn shame if you ask me...smh
Did you watch the game in real time or did you depend on commentary or BBC text?

The team was disjointed. Even the coach acknowledged the same. Is he also bi-polar? :?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria v Libya ( 0-0 ) First Half LINKs & Lineup

Post by Cito »

Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
Cellular wrote:Poor side.
Oga Cellular :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: U too?
Extremely poor. Poor team play... disjointed play.
Don't let the result fool you.

Glad they won.

We still need to figure out a balanced midfield combination. For some reason, Ndidi is not playing well for us... doesn't play with the same discipline he plays with Leicester. I like our 3/4 German line. I like Colins at Left Back.

On offence, will like to see Musa played centrally. Ighalo still misses lots of chances... can't score with a half chance... something we will need against quality opposition. Solomon Kalu is a choosing material. Plays so unprofessionally you will think he came from the local league. Nice strike but he killed a lot of plays.

Good result... their play could be a lot better.
I agree with you on Kalu. He annoyed the crap out of me with his decisions to seek for personal glory at every turn. I will sit him if he continues that crap.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The second half I saw was pure domination with us passing quite well around the opponent. But I watched it after the fact with little tension.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:The second half I saw was pure domination with us passing quite well around the opponent. But I watched it after the fact with little tension.
The second half was a much better display than the first half.

We literally played on one side of the pitch (right side) the entire first half. Seldomly switching play. Even when Shehu got hurt and Aina came on, it took him time to settle. He too had a very good second half.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:The second half I saw was pure domination with us passing quite well around the opponent. But I watched it after the fact with little tension.
The second half was a much better display than the first half.

We literally played on one side of the pitch (right side) the entire first half. Seldomly switching play. Even when Shehu got hurt and Aina came on, it took him time to settle. He too had a very good second half.
KPOM
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Cellular wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Did you watch the game in real time or did you depend on commentary or BBC text?

The team was disjointed. Even the coach acknowledged the same. Is he also bi-polar? :?

Cheiiii :oops: :oops: :oops: Robby you just got sent to ya room with no supper :rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Cellular wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Oga mi, watched in real time and not after the fact
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

anikulapo wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Cheiiii :oops: :oops: :oops: Robby you just got sent to ya room with no supper :rotf:
They didn't send me anywhere. Yes we didn't start off well but we picked up as the game went on and improved. Point is it is not how you start but how you finish. Fact not feelings. We as fans just need to calm down and support the team.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Glad they won.

We still need to figure out a balanced midfield combination. For some reason, Ndidi is not playing well for us... doesn't play with the same discipline he plays with Leicester. I like our 3/4 German line. I like Colins at Left Back.

On offence, will like to see Musa played centrally. Ighalo still misses lots of chances... can't score with a half chance... something we will need against quality opposition. Solomon Kalu is a choosing material. Plays so unprofessionally you will think he came from the local league. Nice strike but he killed a lot of plays.

Chairman

It's a game of 90mins nah, the way some people were going on and on during the game was just shocking.

This team is still a work in progress.................We need to exercise patience.

Ighalo is our only option for now till our strikers abroad and home start to light their leagues on fire.

Henry and Kalu are suffering from Neymarism.........................They need to start playing for the team, but they are still young.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wale1974 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Glad they won.

Chairman

It's a game of 90mins nah, the way some people were going on and on during the game was just shocking.

This team is still a work in progress.................We need to exercise patience.

Ighalo is our only option for now till our strikers abroad and home start to light their leagues on fire.
Comments shocked me as well given that I mainly saw the second half. Also think we are too over critical of creative players. Guys like Kalu are still young and developing their game, we’ve got to allow them the creative freedom to figure it out just like the likes of JJ did and just encourage them to work hard defensively when they lose the ball. The truth is a guy like Kalu does more good for the team than he does bad. In his first couple of games he’s created a good amount of chances and a goal. We hope he can continue to improve and perform against better teams. But the complaint is weird to me esp when there aren’t better options. Vic Mo retired, Simon is just coming back from injury and not sharp yet.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

maceo4 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Glad they won.

Chairman

Comments shocked me as well given that I mainly saw the second half. Also think we are too over critical of creative players. Guys like Kalu are still young and developing their game, we’ve got to allow them the creative freedom to figure it out just like the likes of JJ did and just encourage them to work hard defensively when they lose the ball. The truth is a guy like Kalu does more good for the team than he does bad. In his first couple of games he’s created a good amount of chances and a goal. We hope he can continue to improve and perform against better teams. But the complaint is weird to me esp when there aren’t better options. Vic Mo retired, Simon is just coming back from injury and not sharp yet.
Exactly
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Glad they won.

Agree strongly on this. He really needs to play for the team and not himself. I have been disappointed by him in the past two games.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Cito wrote:
marutimon wrote:
charlie wrote:So who gets to qualify from the group? First 2 teams?
Yes, minus the Cameroon group, where only the best non-Cameroon team progresses (Morocco / Malawi / Comoros).

If Nigeria beat Libya away and South Africa beat Seychelles away - Bafana Bafana will have qualified by day 4, while Nigeria will need just 1 point from two games.
Salone ban puts their group in same position as Cameroon group.
No, because two qualify from the Salone group. Different situation:
Cameroon group - one team from three qualifies
Salone group - two teams from three qualify
marutimon,

I doubt that two will automatically qualify from that group if Sierra Leone does not get bak in. We have seen this before and I believe we were a victim in the past. With three teams left in the group, they are unlikely to get an automatic place for the second placed team. CAF will likely rule on this situation when it becomes clear what Sierra Leone situation is in the near future. That is just my tuppence and not an official position from CAF.

no there will be 2 from that group, you are comparing apples to oranges.

The reason we were a victim last time is because not every 2nd placed team was gauranteed a spot, only the top few 2nd placed teams.

Now with the 24 team format, EVERY SINGLE 2nd placed team qualifies. So 2 from that group will qualify , whether Sierra Leone gets disqualified or not.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

the team was much improved in the 2nd half.

In fact some of the best SE play I have seen in a long time. It was good that something was said and done at half time because I admit the first half was poor, 2nd half was pretty good but of course could still improve.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

It's funny to see how people overly criticize the team forgetting this boys are still very young trying to gel more as a team... and are only getting to the peak form of a new generation which will finally click and be probably more terrifying than the famous '94 generation. The signs are already there ... but the process will by default be a very systematic one. We will see the good, bad, and ugly as is normal with every team on the path to a rebuilding process. See how the Netherlands are looking like a team to be taken very seriously again after going through a difficult transitioning phase from their older generation to a new one.

And oh... We all seem to forget not too long ago, Nigeria would have struggled to beat the likes of Libya... considering how we struggled against the likes of Namibia, Malawi, Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania etc... there is progress, let's be patient.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Glad they won.

Agreed it was a dire first half, but the results accurately reflect the overall balance of the game. Can't seem to recall one clear cut chance for Libya all game. Will be looking fwd to seeing how this plays out in the next game...

We need to remember to see the game from the perspective of Rohr's coaching philosophy, hard as it may sometimes be...This is no longer the swashbuckling SE of old....And from his perspective, the game changed after 2mins when Nigeria got gifted a PK...

But there are still continuing issues about or MF control or lack thereof...That 3rd midfielder to give balance to the team is still lacking. What Iwobi showed is how effective he can be in the final third....

And speaking about the final third, our movement is still lacking proper definition...Kalu's mistakes are as much a product of his poor decision making as it is about the poor layout of our movement in the final third...But these things do take time...

We have an average striker, and Kelechi who could've made the difference has stalled badly in his career..But I agree we have a few other options that need to be explored.

One other thing I would like to speak about, that is mostly ignored, is the choice of venue. The high humidity in this region of Nigeria is not in the interest of our players who all live in Europe...Just look at how drained a powerful player like Ndidi was at the end of the game.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Cellular wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

It's ok..Robbynice no staunch Ondo man wey dey always convert English words straight to Ikale...he thinks "Bi polar" mean sey dem erect two-two goalposts for each end of the field na...
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote:It's funny to see how people overly criticize the team forgetting this boys are still very young trying to gel more as a team... and are only getting to the peak form of a new generation which will finally click and be probably more terrifying than the famous '94 generation. The signs are already there ... but the process will by default be a very systematic one. We will see the good, bad, and ugly as is normal with every team on the path to a rebuilding process. See how the Netherlands are looking like a team to be taken very seriously again after going through a difficult transitioning phase from their older generation to a new one.

And oh... We all seem to forget not too long ago, Nigeria would have struggled to beat the likes of Libya... considering how we struggled against the likes of Namibia, Malawi, Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania etc... there is progress, let's be patient.

Rohr has continued the good work where he left off in Africa.

Other than the South Africa blemish which was an aberration, Rohr's record in Africa is outstanding and unmatched by any other team since perhaps the 94 generation. This is why I think we have a strong chance to win what will be a very competative ANC in 2019. But let us look at Rohr's record on the African scene.

Nigeria 1 Tanzania 0 this was his first match and although nothing special in the result recall how well the team played and the game should have been much more emphatic if not for poor finishing.

Zambia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 3 Algeria 1

Nigeria 0 South Africa 2 the aberration I discussed in which we did not play badly

Nigeria 4 Cameroon 0
Cameroon 0 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Zambia 0
Algeria 1 Nigeria 1

Post WC

Seychelles 0 Nigeria 3
Nigeria 4 Libya 0

Like I said Rohr has continued where he left off when we were thrashing the likes of Cameroon and handling the Algerians.

Our last 2 matches 7 goals and 0 conceded. Granted Seychelles is one of the poorest teams in Africa, but Libya is actually a decent team, and we dismantled them with ease.

Where Rohr needs to improve is playing against non African sides, but as it stands in Africa I have the utmost confidence in his abilities to get results with this team, and we look very much the part.

The problem is that outside of Africa Rohr seems to want to show teams too much respect.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Cito wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Yes, minus the Cameroon group, where only the best non-Cameroon team progresses (Morocco / Malawi / Comoros).

If Nigeria beat Libya away and South Africa beat Seychelles away - Bafana Bafana will have qualified by day 4, while Nigeria will need just 1 point from two games.
marutimon,

I doubt that two will automatically qualify from that group if Sierra Leone does not get bak in. We have seen this before and I believe we were a victim in the past. With three teams left in the group, they are unlikely to get an automatic place for the second placed team. CAF will likely rule on this situation when it becomes clear what Sierra Leone situation is in the near future. That is just my tuppence and not an official position from CAF.

The reason we were a victim last time is because not every 2nd placed team was gauranteed a spot, only the top few 2nd placed teams.

Now with the 24 team format, EVERY SINGLE 2nd placed team qualifies. So 2 from that group will qualify , whether Sierra Leone gets disqualified or not.

The underlined is accurate, my brother. Do the math solving the following problem:

Assume for one moment that Cameroon does not finish in the top 2 in its group.

The result of your math will be 25 teams qualifying. Is that not correct? So how do you deny the second place team in Cameroon's group (assume the outcome above) and then assume fairness by accepting the second placed team from Ghana's group?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Cito wrote:
marutimon wrote:

marutimon,

The underlined is accurate, my brother. Do the math solving the following problem:

The result of your math will be 25 teams qualifying. Is that not correct? So how do you deny the second place team in Cameroon's group (assume the outcome above) and then assume fairness by accepting the second placed team from Ghana's group?
Go to the Wikipedia page and read the rules, it clearly states

Cameroon plus the best other team in that group go through.

In all other groups the top 2 teams make it. It's plain and simple.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote: marutimon,

Go to the Wikipedia page and read the rules, it clearly states

Cameroon plus the best other team in that group go through.

In all other groups the top 2 teams make it. It's plain and simple.
Yes, but it still isnt clear what happens if for instance Cameroun end up third in their group.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Glad they won.

Agreed it was a dire first half, but the results accurately reflect the overall balance of the game. Can't seem to recall one clear cut chance for Libya all game. Will be looking fwd to seeing how this plays out in the next game...

We need to remember to see the game from the perspective of Rohr's coaching philosophy, hard as it may sometimes be...This is no longer the swashbuckling SE of old....And from his perspective, the game changed after 2mins when Nigeria got gifted a PK...

But there are still continuing issues about or MF control or lack thereof...That 3rd midfielder to give balance to the team is still lacking. What Iwobi showed is how effective he can be in the final third....

And speaking about the final third, our movement is still lacking proper definition...Kalu's mistakes are as much a product of his poor decision making as it is about the poor layout of our movement in the final third...But these things do take time...

We have an average striker, and Kelechi who could've made the difference has stalled badly in his career..But I agree we have a few other options that need to be explored.

One other thing I would like to speak about, that is mostly ignored, is the choice of venue. The high humidity in this region of Nigeria is not in the interest of our players who all live in Europe...Just look at how drained a powerful player like Ndidi was at the end of the game.
Excellent points.

I was very concerned about the humidity as well. It is something the NFF just doesn't give a damn about... they just go with venues who can host (pay) for the Eagles. We at times give up our homefield advantage.

On Kalu, I think he is just doing way darn too much. He doesn't need to impress anyone but his coach and team mates. There was one play where I felt sorry for Iwobi who bursted his guts to run into space... one was with Kalu and the other was with Onyekuru later in the game. Reward the dude for running for godsake... so to encourage him to run again.

I love the creativity of Iwobi. One of my friends kept commenting the difference between a professionally trained footballer (Iwobi) and the people way learn football from playing choosing... :lol: :lol: The professional one expects a certain pass and a certain concept... the choosing guy just dey play anyhow anyhow. :P

Ps., I thought the 3-5-2 got the best out of him... as opposed to the system that had him playing from the flanks. Maybe we should revisit it. Also a big fan of Musa playing centrally. Though as a fullback I will love him in front of me as a winger. He gives you complete effort on both sides of the ball.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...