South Africa 6-0 Seychelles!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
South Africa 6-0 Seychelles!

Post by Kabalega »

Bafana hit Seychelles for six in record win

5:00 PM GMT
Nick Said

South Africa completed a record 6-0 victory over hapless Seychelles in their Africa Cup of Nations Group E qualifier at a sodden FNB Stadium on Saturday to stay firmly on track for next year's finals.

Bafana Bafana will be satisfied with their showing, the biggest ever win for the national side, but in truth might have easily had double the number of goals were it not for some wasteful finishing and the superb saves of Seychelles goalkeeper Romeo Barra.

Bafana move up to seven points from their three matches to head the pool, with Nigeria (three points) and Libya (four) in action later on Saturday.

An own goal from Ronny Hoareau set the home side on their way, before Thulani Hlatshwayo, Lebo Mothiba, Percy Tau, Dino Ndlovu and Teboho Mokoena netted for the hosts.

It was just the kind of win that coach Stuart Baxter needs after coming under increasing pressure, though he will contextualise the result with the knowledge that the opposition is arguably the poorest among all the qualification hopefuls.

The teams will meet again on Tuesday in Victoria in what could be a tougher test for Bafana on an artificial surface that they have previously found difficult to manage.

Aubrey Modiba had the first opening when he put a header over the ball from the edge of the six-yard box, though he appeared to get a push from behind that was not spotted by South Sudan referee Ring Malong.

Percy Tau had a more difficult headed chance shortly afterwards and did well to climb high, but the ball sailed just over the bar.

Tau came closer with a superb free-kick that struck the crossbar, an unlucky outcome from a fine set-piece, while right-back Rama Mphahlele was inches away from converting from left-back Sifiso Hlanti's cross.

It was the chance of Lebo Mothiba to be denied from a Hlanti delivery, but this time Seychelles goalkeeper Barra saved, before he then denied Lebohang Maboe from range.

Bafana finally hit the from on 23 minutes and it was an own goal from Hoareau, who headed past his keeper from Hlatshwayo's header across the goal.

Two minutes later and Hlatshwayo had a goal of his own as he powered a header past Barra from Modiba's excellent corner.

Mothiba got in on the act as Maboe set him up in the box, before the Strasbourg striker took a touch to take the ball away from the defender before firing into the top corner from 16 yards.

Tau forced a good save from Barra just before half-time, but the home side had to be content with their 3-0 lead when they might have scored at least double that number.

Tau struck the crossbar early in the second half, though he was adjudged offside, one of a number of dubious decisions from the match officials who did not have a good day in the office.

The Royale Union Saint-Gilloise forward was then denied again by Barra when he was put in acres of space on the left, and after that blasted over with a wild effort in what was a poor day in front of goal for the striker.

It was Mothiba's turn to be denied by Barra as the keeper raced off his line to save a one-on-one chance, before the Seychelles man kept out a low drive from Modiba.

Finally, Tau found the back of the net after he was superbly set up by Mothiba, rounding Barra before finishing from a tight angle.

The fifth came with 10 minutes remaining as Ndlovu had all the time in the world to beat Barra as the South African forwards queued up to score, the China-based forward netting his first international goal in his sixth cap.

The record win was completed in injury-time when substitute Teboho Mokoena headed home an inviting cross from Kamohelo Mokotjo for what was also his first international goal.
http://kwese.espn.com/football/report?gameId=501789
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: South Africa 6-0 Seychelles!

Post by Enugu II »

9-0 Free State Stars thrashing a 'wake-up call' for Lesotho
play

http://www.espn.com/soccer/lesotho/stor ... or-lesotho

Oct 12, 2018
Andrew Oryada
Special to KweséESPN

Lesotho head coach Moses Maliehe has conceded that his side's 9-0 friendly demolition at the hands of Free State Stars in an exhibition match has reminded his team of their failings before their upcoming Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Uganda.

ABRIDGED
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Seychelles can pull off a draw in lagos
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Rawlings wrote:Seychelles can pull off a draw in lagos

I would worry about Ghana if I was you. You guys may not make it with Serra Leone being banned by FIFA.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Yes they can but they will hear wen in Uyo...Fact not feelings!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

South Africa should have done the same to Libya who they’ve also played at home but failed to score against as they are most likely to collect another 3 points against Seychelles away but after that they face Nigeria at home and then they go away to Libya who are also likely to beat Sychelles!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Bafana might not make it out of the Group.

They will certainly pay for the sacrilege the committed in Uyo (twice, coming to think of it), and I won't bet on them getting anything away to Libya in Tunis.
They had better enjoy their chest beating with Seychelles this long weekend.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

truetalk wrote:Bafana might not make it out of the Group.

They will certainly pay for the sacrilege the committed in Uyo (twice, coming to think of it), and I won't bet on them getting anything away to Libya in Tunis.
Naija will b
Pull off a draw in Libya and south Africa. That will not be enough. I fear naina will not make it
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Rawlings wrote:

Naija will b
Pull off a draw in Libya and south Africa. That will not be enough. I fear naina will not make it
TFCO, can you send your breda a copy of 'Brighter Grammar' or whatever book you use in your unregistered night language training school.

In his eagerness to bash Nigeria he is littering the forum with uncoordinated gibberish.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

They couldn't even score against Sychelles away!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Hopefully, we take care of business next month against Bafana so we can have a good laugh as Bafana and Libya fight it out on the last day for the 2nd ticket.

You should have seen the arrogance of the SA broadcasters after their win vs Seychelles on Saturday. It will be too funny if they don't make it through.

Useless team.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Reading the South African daily newspapers today they don’t think they can get a result against Nigeria next month and they are playing at home.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Well, the refs saved their backsides, but my conclusion still stands.

Bafana will probably not make it out of the group.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Libya would be all over SA like a rash. With more to play for, even more so. SA would get mugged wherever Libya chose to play that game.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Robbynice wrote:
Yes they can but they will hear wen in Uyo...Fact not feelings!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He walked right into that left hook :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

truetalk wrote:

Well, the refs saved their backsides, but my conclusion still stands.

Bafana will probably not make it out of the group.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but since the CAF presidency moved to Southern Africa I've been seeing some dodgy things. Reminds me of the dodgy decisions that used to go Cameroon's way.

- Ghana and Nigeria, the most successful teams at the FIFA U17 competition, now have to fight for ONE spot?
- Madagascar qualified for the AFCON for the first time ever?
- The ref that awarded SA a fake penalty at the WCQer against Senegal was only suspended for 3 months by CAF. FIFA intervened and banned him for life. Apparently, it wasn't the first time he'd done that.
- Two clear goals disallowed against Nigeria. It wouldn't have made a difference to what SA needs against Libya but it deprived us of our revenge.

We need to keep an eye on Libya vs SA. I have a suspicious feeling the Libyans will be robbed.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

DIMKA76 wrote:Libya would be all over SA like a rash. With more to play for, even more so. SA would get mugged wherever Libya chose to play that game.
I hope Libya takes South Africa to the worst place - combinatively - in Tunisia to play the game
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.