LIBYA vs NIGERIA 2-3

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: LIBYA vs NIGERIA 2-3

Post by green4life »

Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Not complaining but was our first goal offside?

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
It looked off to me. Before Iwobi spread the ball to Musa, Ighalo the goalscorer was already in an offside position
Stop it at 57 seconds. That was why I called it. You could clearly see Ighalo was off before the ball was played. Musa was on. Ighalo never came back on side. The ball was passed to him to score. If the rule allows him to score from there because Iwobi did not initially pass to him, all good. I just wanted clarity
My understanding is that as long as he was not interfering with play directly or indirectly at the time of the pass then he's good.
My understanding of "not interfering with play" means he stood his ground without making any attempt to make contact with the ball before or after the ball was played, but he was the recipient of the ball from Musa.
Yes, but applicable here at the time of the pass (Iwobi >>> Musa), not after.
The Musa >>>Ighalo pass was legit cos Ighalo was behind the ball as demonstrated in the diagram I posted above.

I think the confusion arises from which of the two passes should be taken into consideration for the offside call. Ighalo was in an "offside" position at the time of the Iwobi pass, but should that be the reference point?
I think not, because supposing there was a pass immediately prior to that from Ndidi to Iwobi? Should Ighalo be penalised for being "offside" at that point too?
Where is the line drawn?
I think it is the last pass that counts unless you are "interfering with play/an opponent" before that.
‘Interference’ consideration is not relevant in this situation because Ighalo was far from the initial pass to Musa to interfere with action. Not even close. A classic Interference case is considered when a shot is taken and an offsides player is in the line of sight of the goalie thus arguably distracting the goalie from making a save. The key concern is was the proximity of the offside player to the onside ball sufficient to distract the opposition? In this case not even close. Ighalo was relatively far away from the pass to Musa.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

green4life wrote:
Damunk wrote:Yes, but applicable here at the time of the pass (Iwobi >>> Musa), not after.
The Musa >>>Ighalo pass was legit cos Ighalo was behind the ball as demonstrated in the diagram I posted above.

I think the confusion arises from which of the two passes should be taken into consideration for the offside call. Ighalo was in an "offside" position at the time of the Iwobi pass, but should that be the reference point?
I think not, because supposing there was a pass immediately prior to that from Ndidi to Iwobi? Should Ighalo be penalised for being "offside" at that point too?
Where is the line drawn?
I think it is the last pass that counts unless you are "interfering with play/an opponent" before that.
‘Interference’ consideration is not relevant in this situation because Ighalo was far from the initial pass to Musa to interfere with action. Not even close. A classic Interference case is considered when a shot is taken and an offsides player is in the line of sight of the goalie thus arguably distracting the goalie from making a save. The key concern is was the proximity of the offside player to the onside ball sufficient to distract the opposition? In this case not even close. Ighalo was relatively far away from the pass to Musa.

Thank you jare
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Kai!!

So Waffiman was right afterall...

Yeye Spuds fans do not know the offsides rule!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote:Kai!!

So Waffiman was right afterall...

Yeye Spuds fans do not know the offsides rule!

and you're surprised? Why do you think they are yeye? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

green4life wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Cellular wrote:
:rotf: I thought the Libyans will just let us make the sub. Let the player come in and allow him to adjust his shin guard. Then ask us if we were ready.
I thought it was poor sportsmanship by the Libyans. My experience has been that the sub is allowed to be made. Fortunately for us, the Libyans didnt score. I wont flog the Eagles for that. It is experience that teaches and they know it now.
Definitely poor sportsmanship but since when did that matter in Africa especially when playing against North Africans? We should know better given it cost us an ANC tickets not long ago against Egypt in Kano abi na Kaduna.
I disagree that it is poor sportsmanship. The onus is on the team making the substitution. Unless you're subbing in a goalie. If he must only sub at that moment, we should have the presence of mind to have EVERYBODY else, including Ighalo and Henry, defending, while the new sub perhaps plays the "striker" role alert to any outlet pass.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:A VAR would have overruled the first goal, not that I’m complaining, mind you :mrgreen: :!:

Cheers.

how?
Ighalo was indisputably, the last man between the ball and the goalie before the pass was made. Some have argued that because the pass didn’t go to him, the play wasn’t off sides but that’s not a valid argument. Sometimes, refs will overlook similar situations if the player is not involved in the play. That wasn’t the case with Ighalo because he was a direct beneficiary of the pass to Musa. Honestly, the goal should have been disallowed. If Libya had been the beneficiary of a call like that, we’d be screaming blue murder and you know it :!:

Cheers.
This is hilariously so incorrect.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:A VAR would have overruled the first goal, not that I’m complaining, mind you :mrgreen: :!:

Cheers.

how?
Ighalo was indisputably, the last man between the ball and the goalie before the pass was made. Some have argued that because the pass didn’t go to him, the play wasn’t off sides but that’s not a valid argument. Sometimes, refs will overlook similar situations if the player is not involved in the play. That wasn’t the case with Ighalo because he was a direct beneficiary of the pass to Musa. Honestly, the goal should have been disallowed. If Libya had been the beneficiary of a call like that, we’d be screaming blue murder and you know it :!:

Cheers.
Its TTTK now :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote:
green4life wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Cheers.

how?

Cheers.
Its TTTK now :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I can understand and appreciate folks having doubts when watching during real time but upon watching the replay this was a straightforward if not text book perfect application of offside rules.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

All you guys are just trying to justify a bad call that favored us :!:

Cheers.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:All you guys are just trying to justify a bad call that favored us :!:

Cheers.
Nah. You don't know the rules.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Synopsis wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:All you guys are just trying to justify a bad call that favored us :!:

Cheers.
Simple!!! :mrgreen:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Synopsis wrote:

Cheers.
Fact not feelings aka Kpom Kwem!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Synopsis wrote:

Cheers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you need to see the gems he drops with authority on R&R. Talk about an utterly clueless individual. And then he will sign off with...

Cheers :!: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The first goal was not offside. Musa was ahead of the play with the ball onside before passing the ball to Ighalo.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx