LIBYA vs NIGERIA 2-3

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: LIBYA vs NIGERIA 2-3

Post by Cristao II »

pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Not complaining but was our first goal offside?

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
It looked off to me. Before Iwobi spread the ball to Musa, Ighalo the goalscorer was already in an offside position
If Iwobi had passed to Odion, he would have been offside. Iwobi passed to Musa (a beauty by the way) who cut back to Odion to score. Odion was not offside.
Stop it at 57 seconds. That was why I called it. You could clearly see Ighalo was off before the ball was played. Musa was on. Ighalo never came back on side. The ball was passed to him to score. If the rule allows him to score from there because Iwobi did not initially pass to him, all good. I just wanted clarity
Pajimoh exactly - Odion only became active in that play when Musa passed to him and he was behind or in line with Ahmed. Before then he could have been dancing galala behind the gk and it wouldnt matter.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Cellular wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
charlie wrote:
maceo4 wrote:2:30 minutes into 3 minutes overtime we finally use a second sub, kai lmao
Its to take seconds off the clock
Yep.
And then defend with one less player on the set piece...brilliant!
So daft by Rohr. His brain freezes in this game were at an all-time high.
A sub that was badly needed but incredibly daft timing. I haven't seen that even at amateur level in a long long time.
:rotf: I thought the Libyans will just let us make the sub. Let the player come in and allow him to adjust his shin guard. Then ask us if we were ready.
I thought it was poor sportsmanship by the Libyans. My experience has been that the sub is allowed to be made. Fortunately for us, the Libyans didnt score. I wont flog the Eagles for that. It is experience that teaches and they know it now.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
It looked off to me. Before Iwobi spread the ball to Musa, Ighalo the goalscorer was already in an offside position
If Iwobi had passed to Odion, he would have been offside. Iwobi passed to Musa (a beauty by the way) who cut back to Odion to score. Odion was not offside.
Stop it at 57 seconds. That was why I called it. You could clearly see Ighalo was off before the ball was played. Musa was on. Ighalo never came back on side. The ball was passed to him to score. If the rule allows him to score from there because Iwobi did not initially pass to him, all good. I just wanted clarity
My understanding is that as long as he was not 'interfering with play' directly or indirectly at the time of the pass then he's good.
He came into play from the Musa pass, but was behind the ball at the time of the pass which, despite being closer to goal than the last Libyan defender was still onside.
The blue forward in the penalty area of the diagram is not in an offside position, as they are behind the ball, despite the fact that they are closer to the opponents' goal line than the second-last opponent.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Tbite wrote:Ehhhhm is it just me or is this AFCON 2019 going to have more 'lesser known' African teams than in a VERY VERY long time.
It should do. It is expanded to 24 teams. 8 more spaces up for grabs. It is brilliant for African football.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
My understanding is that as long as he was not interfering with play directly or indirectly at the time of the pass then he's good.
My understanding of "not interfering with play" means he stood his ground without making any attempt to make contact with the ball before or after the ball was played, but he was the recipient of the ball from Musa.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pajimoh wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
My understanding is that as long as he was not interfering with play directly or indirectly at the time of the pass then he's good.
My understanding of "not interfering with play" means he stood his ground without making any attempt to make contact with the ball before or after the ball was played, but he was the recipient of the ball from Musa.
Yes, but applicable here at the time of the pass (Iwobi >>> Musa), not after.
The Musa >>>Ighalo pass was legit cos Ighalo was behind the ball as demonstrated in the diagram I posted above.

I think the confusion arises from which of the two passes should be taken into consideration for the offside call. Ighalo was in an "offside" position at the time of the Iwobi pass, but should that be the reference point?
I think not, because supposing there was a pass immediately prior to that from Ndidi to Iwobi? Should Ighalo be penalised for being "offside" at that point too?
Where is the line drawn?
I think it is the last pass that counts unless you are "interfering with play/an opponent" before that.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

pajimoh wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
When Musa passed to Ighalo, Ighalo was behind the ball i.e. Musa was ahead of Ighalo when he (Musa) passed to Ighalo. It does not matter where Ighalo was when Iwobi passed to Musa.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

lacidi wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
green4life wrote:

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.

When Musa passed to Ighalo, Ighalo was behind the ball i.e. Musa was ahead of Ighalo when he (Musa) passed to Ighalo. It does not matter where Ighalo was when Iwobi passed to Musa.
That's the clarity that has since been established, which is what I was seeking. Thanks :thumb:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Robbynice wrote:Guys did you notice that the jerseys had names of the players on it. For a qualifier that was very impressive. Hopefully we keep it up.
...while watching the match a young fan asked which side is Nigeria. I was baffled, as close up of players and names on the back were being shown, I asked a retort, us the name Iwobi, Ighalo, etc not Nigerian? Just to tweak the young mind. Na then it hit me, Nigerian national team has names on jersey in an African qualifier :shock:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Cristao II wrote:
Tbite wrote:Ehhhhm is it just me or is this AFCON 2019 going to have more 'lesser known' African teams than in a VERY VERY long time.
It should do. It is expanded to 24 teams. 8 more spaces up for grabs. It is brilliant for African football.
I didn't even realize. Woah. This is going to be something.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

..with all this elongated argument about offside rule, I now see why even yank experts on TV wan kill themselves over their well established football rules, with all the slo-mo technology available, so why not we fight too :biggrin:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Cristao II wrote:
Tbite wrote:I must say I didn't know about that rule.

So as long as you are behind the onside player (Musa), you are not offside?

Makes sense.

Based on our wrong interpretation of the rule, Ighalo was definitely offside, but it is NOT the right interpretation.
Is the offside rule that difficult :shock: :shock: :shock:
lol.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

A VAR would have overruled the first goal, not that I’m complaining, mind you :mrgreen: :!:

Cheers.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:A VAR would have overruled the first goal, not that I’m complaining, mind you :mrgreen: :!:

Cheers.

how?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:A VAR would have overruled the first goal, not that I’m complaining, mind you :mrgreen: :!:

Cheers.

how?
It's the kind of goal Spurs would score and a certain chief will shout "offside" :taunt:
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Cheers.
That's nonsense. That goal was as legit as the constitution.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ugbowo wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
green4life wrote:

[/video]
Nope. Not a chance.
LOL. Oga that has nothing to do with it.

Musa was onside, Ighalo was not involved in play then so his position doesn't matter. Ighalo comes into play once Musa gets the ball. At that point he was behind the ball.

Not offside by any measure.
He was not in offside position when he received the pass but he would have been blown for illegal touching (offside) having just come back from an offside position and touching the ball. He was yet to reestablish full presence from an offside position.

Haven't you guys seen when someone slow in returning from an offside position rushes to get involved when a ball is played to him and is the first one to touch the ball even with defenders behind him?

The hand gesticulation for the infringement is like the never called "overhauling" in basketball.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Cheers.

how?
Ighalo was indisputably, the last man between the ball and the goalie before the pass was made. Some have argued that because the pass didn’t go to him, the play wasn’t off sides but that’s not a valid argument. Sometimes, refs will overlook similar situations if the player is not involved in the play. That wasn’t the case with Ighalo because he was a direct beneficiary of the pass to Musa. Honestly, the goal should have been disallowed. If Libya had been the beneficiary of a call like that, we’d be screaming blue murder and you know it :!:

Cheers.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Cheers.

how?
Ighalo was indisputably, the last man between the ball and the goalie before the pass was made. Some have argued that because the pass didn’t go to him, the play wasn’t off sides but that’s not a valid argument. Sometimes, refs will overlook similar situations if the player is not involved in the play. That wasn’t the case with Ighalo because he was a direct beneficiary of the pass to Musa. Honestly, the goal should have been disallowed. If Libya had been the beneficiary of a call like that, we’d be screaming blue murder and you know it :!:

Cheers.
First of all, any goal that is not disallowed by the referee (off or not) is a goal and it counts. Secondly Ighalo wasn't interfering with the play when the pass was made to Musa and by the time the ball was passed to Ighalo he was onside. Me I don't know why this very difficult to get but it doesn't really matter. I mean can we the fans just celebrate the victory and let the opponents dwell on the goal if they want. Fans sha...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Cally wrote:

Cheers.
That's nonsense. That goal was as legit as the constitution.
:lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Robbynice wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Cheers.

how?

Cheers.
First of all, any goal that is not disallowed by the referee (off or not) is a goal and it counts. Secondly Ighalo wasn't interfering with the play when the pass was made to Musa and by the time the ball was passed to Ighalo he was onside. Me I don't know why this very difficult to get but it doesn't really matter. I mean can we the fans just celebrate the victory and let the opponents dwell on the goal if they want. Fans sha...
Why do you like making irrelevant arguments? The issue is not wether the goal counts. It does because the ref allowed it; refs have the freedom to make any decisions they choose. The ref’s decision is final unless of course VAR is in play. The issue is wether or not Ighalo was offsides when the pass was made and he was undisputedly. That he wasn’t interfering with the play is your opinion, with which I differ vigorously. Goals get disallowed all the time in situations where someone who wasn’t directly involved in the play was offside. I am ecstatic that the ref’s decision favored us but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t make an honest observation... and do stop making condescending statements like “... just celebrate the victory...”, blah blah bla. You could have just celebrated the victory yourself without coming here to make any comments :!:

Cheers.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tbite wrote:I must say I didn't know about that rule.

So as long as you are behind the onside player (Musa), you are not offside?

Makes sense.

Based on our wrong interpretation of the rule, Ighalo was definitely offside, but it is NOT the right interpretation.
I’m surprised many are scratching their heads on this straight forward situation. Offside is determined based on the position of the receiving player vis a vis the opponent’s last defender. In this instance, Musa was clearly behind their last man when he got the ball. And Ighalo had the presence of mind (kudos to him) to hold his run once Musa got the ball, to stay on the same line or behind Musa’s line before receiving the pass. Once Musa was onside, all Ighalo had to do was compose his run to stay ‘behind’ Musa to avoid running offside. This wasn’t even a close call. Perfectly executed by all players including Iwobi, the originator of the key pass.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cristao II wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
charlie wrote:
maceo4 wrote:2:30 minutes into 3 minutes overtime we finally use a second sub, kai lmao
Its to take seconds off the clock
Yep.
And then defend with one less player on the set piece...brilliant!
So daft by Rohr. His brain freezes in this game were at an all-time high.
A sub that was badly needed but incredibly daft timing. I haven't seen that even at amateur level in a long long time.
:rotf: I thought the Libyans will just let us make the sub. Let the player come in and allow him to adjust his shin guard. Then ask us if we were ready.
I thought it was poor sportsmanship by the Libyans. My experience has been that the sub is allowed to be made. Fortunately for us, the Libyans didnt score. I wont flog the Eagles for that. It is experience that teaches and they know it now.
Definitely poor sportsmanship but since when did that matter in Africa especially when playing against North Africans? We should know better given it cost us an ANC tickets not long ago against Egypt in Kano abi na Kaduna.