NFF, Rohr Mandate Carl Ikeme To Search For New SE KEEPERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

JACKAL
Egg
Egg
NFF, Rohr Mandate Carl Ikeme To Search For New SE KEEPERS

Post by JACKAL »

I certainly hope this is some sort of joke report by this reporter...

I hope Pinnick and Rohr didn't really make this clarion call. Where is Carl expected to go find this goal keeper ? Under what Rock is this GK playing that we don't know or is not on anyone's Rader. The issue of not having goal keepers exposes a serious flaw in our football policy. We have Midfielders and strikers … No serious home grown defenders or Goalkeepers... What is that about ??

If they were Serious they would have a real policy on GK development. Some sort of GK academy or Something along those lines.

Until we understand that football development applies to all on-field and off-field positions We are going to continue to have a shortage of World class GK's, Coaches, Referees etc etc....

Retired Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Carl Ikeme has been given the mandate by the Nigeria Football Federation and manager Gernot Rohr to assist the technical crew find new goalkeepers for the national team.

The jury is out on whether Elche's Francis Uzoho can make the grade at international level after making elementary goalkeeping errors in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Libya.

''The NFF has also graciously accepted my proposal to give opportunity to Carl (Ikeme) to help us find other good goalkeepers of Nigerian descent.

''So we are still searching for good players in all positions in the team,'' Rohr told SportingLife.ng.

Recently, Peter Rufai criticized Rohr for handing the goalkeeping duties to the inexperienced teenager Uzoho.

Now, the German football tactician has asked the 1994 World Cup star to recommend quality alternatives.

''Yes some former players who have shone with the national team before has freedom and liberty to help the team if there are problems.

''Peter (Rufai) can call me at any time to give me useful advice because I know him very well and he knows me too. We can speak about it if he has a better candidate,'' Rohr added.

Uzoho has started all the eleven matches played by the Super Eagles in 2018, and has conceded 12 goals while posting four shutouts.

Igho Kingsley
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: NFF, Rohr Mandate Carl Ikeme To Search For New SE KEEPER

Post by joao »

MMW (Man Must Wack) reporting. Manufactured reporting at its best.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

And who has the better resume to assist with National team goalkeepers- Rufai or Ikeme? Better still, why not engage both of them since Rohr is stuck in the Uzoho-Ezenwa-Akpeyi conundrum?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ask Ikeme to send me some DMs because Uganda has a surplus supply of quality goalies. :D
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Nigerian reporters tend to use grandiose type word and language. Anyways, Carl Ikeme can assist and advice if need be.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I like the idea of a goalkeeper academy and mentioned it a few years ago.
Absolutely no reason why young boys (and girls) cant be groomed as goalkeepers whilst pursuing a quality education.
Apply certain criteria one of which should be the potential for being taller than average.
The school curriculum will need to be carefully crafted and a look at similar institutions around the world would help.
If not, we can pioneer it.
There are millions of kids and their parents who would jump at such an opportunity, just for the free education alone.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:...Nigerian reporters tend to use grandiose type word and language. Anyways, Carl Ikeme can assist and advice if need be.
Not only reporters.
Our very own Bullimia12 vomits those words on a routine basis on a level even our confused reporters would envy.
Sesquipedality is his big thing - though I doubt he even knows the word exists. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Didn't many people (here) say the Enugu Rangers goalkeeper is better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa? If so, why have he not been invited to compete, or does our coach not know of the keeper's existence?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Odas wrote:Didn't many people (here) say the Enugu Rangers goalkeeper is better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa? If so, why have he not been invited to compete, or does our coach not know of the keeper's existence?
The Enyimba goalie, Theophilus Afelokhai is better than all of the current keepers and he is in form.

Rohr prefers to invite the guy he is benching over the guy who singlehandedly kept Enyimba in the CAF Confederation cup.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Cellular wrote:
Odas wrote:Didn't many people (here) say the Enugu Rangers goalkeeper is better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa? If so, why have he not been invited to compete, or does our coach not know of the keeper's existence?
The Enyimba goalie, Theophilus Afelokhai is better than all of the current keepers and he is in form.

Rohr prefers to invite the guy he is benching over the guy who singlehandedly kept Enyimba in the CAF Confederation cup.
Rohr believes the GK must have a certain physical features which Uzoho has. End of story.

Or better still, they will recruit abroad, because their oga has told them HB is not good enough.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Sure...similar words were said about Femi Thomas, until he stunk up the joint in the friendly against Athletico Madrid.
Please - give us a break! It makes sense to invest in a kid that has some upside, vs. a supposed 30 yr old keeper (if that's his real age) that will probably be retiring in a few years.

Nothing to see here, folks! Keep moving...
Cellular wrote:

JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Damunk wrote:I like the idea of a goalkeeper academy and mentioned it a few years ago.
Absolutely no reason why young boys (and girls) cant be groomed as goalkeepers whilst pursuing a quality education.
Apply certain criteria one of which should be the potential for being taller than average.
The school curriculum will need to be carefully crafted and a look at similar institutions around the world would help.
There are millions of kids and their parents who would jump at such an opportunity, just for the free education alone.
Don't bring up the issue of goal keeping Academy in front of Yeye man o!
He wants the Oyinbo man to do it first so he can get comfortable with the idea !! Once the Oyinbo does it first and says its ok, then we can try it.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Damunk wrote:I like the idea of a goalkeeper academy and mentioned it a few years ago.
Don't bring up the issue of goal keeping Academy in front of Yeye man o!
He wants the Oyinbo man to do it first so he can get comfortable with the idea !! Once the Oyinbo does it first and says its ok, then we can try it.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I don't watch the NPFL, but to throw out more names, how about the likes of Suraj Ayeleso and David Obiazor? At one time they were both rated among the best goalies in the NPFL. Don't know how old they are or how they have performed recently. Those who follow the NPFL can comment on their form/abilities.