With Ndidi out of the SA game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Re: With Ndidi out of the SA game

Post by chief nfachairman »

9jaMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Who should step in as a capable replacement? I fancy Ogu filling in the role well cause he is more composed and has better passing abilities than Ndidi, though not as strong defensively. The SA game is a must win one so we need a tested DM pairing, hopefully Mikel should be back cause we will need his experience and discipline... but who gets to pair up with him,Etebo? Ogu? Semi Ajayi?...

I will take ogu and Mikel, if Mikel is unavailable, then ogu and onazi. Etebo no be am
GO and watch the First leg again. Ive watched it twice. Etebo was one of the top 3 players. In the return leg, he lost possesion once or twice but he ran his socks off, was the main distributor, he was the main man bringing the ball out of the defence to the midfeidl/ attack.

He ran so much in that game that he tired out in the extremely hot, and humid desert country.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

A lot depends on the health of Mikel. If fit, he will pair either Onazi or Etebo in midfield. If not fit Onazi and Etebo will hold down the fort.

It is important to understand that if everyone is available Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Onazi, Joel Obi and John Ogu are currently at the top of Rohr's depth chart in central midfield.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

mystic wrote:A lot depends on the health of Mikel. If fit, he will pair either Onazi or Etebo in midfield. If not fit Onazi and Etebo will hold down the fort.

It is important to understand that if everyone is available Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Onazi, Joel Obi and John Ogu are currently at the top of Rohr's depth chart in central midfield.
Oga, when Mikel comes back do you think Rohr will continue with Iwobi at CAM or move him to the wing to accommodate Mikel there?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

maceo4 wrote:
mystic wrote:A lot depends on the health of Mikel. If fit, he will pair either Onazi or Etebo in midfield. If not fit Onazi and Etebo will hold down the fort.

Oga, when Mikel comes back do you think Rohr will continue with Iwobi at CAM or move him to the wing to accommodate Mikel there?

I guess we will find out, but my sense is that Rohr will stick with what he did at the Mundial after the loss to Croatia. If so, Mikel will be the holding midfielder, paired by either Onazi or Etebo. Apart from the odd tactical shift, I expect Iwobi to retain the role that he played for us against Libya going forward.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Goldleaf wrote:
john12 wrote:Etebo is SE most complete midfielder and there’s no way he would be benched except injuries. Do you think it’s easy going toe to toe with modric, rakitic and put a good performance?? Ogu will replace ndidi if Mikel is unavailable
I am still scratching my head about what happened to Oghenekaro Etebo. :sad: From the potential he showed in the U20 and under previous coaches, he has really really dropped. He needs to ask himself some serious questions. There was a time I felt the whole team will be built around him because he seemed gifted as an end-to-end Paul Scholes-type player. Right now, no.
He's been poor of late. I hope he hasn't gotten too comfortable because he's now in England and this thinks he's arrived and doesn't need to put in the work anymore.

By the way can someone make a large banner indicating Ndidi's ineligibility for the South Africa game and place it in front of the NFF office building where those egg heads can clearly see it?

Can't afford another cock up.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

South Africa vs Nigeria: Rohr identifies two players to replace Ndidi in 2019 AFCON clashPublished on October 19, 2018 By Don Silas

Super Eagles head coach, Gernot Rohr has named midfielders: John Ogu and Ogenyi Onazi as the players that can replace Leicester City star, Wilfred Ndidi when they take on South Africa in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, qualifying fixture in Johannesburg.

Ndidi received a second yellow card in Nigeria’s 3-2 victory over Libya on Tuesday night in Sfax that automatically disqualified him from Eagles’ next game against South Africa.

Rohr, however, believes the Super Eagles can cope without Ndidi because the likes of Ogu or Onazi can play in his position.

“My team will cope without Ndidi. We have others like Ogu John who can play there and then Onazi too who can also play there. We will cope without him,” CSN quoted Rohr as saying ahead of Nigeria’s clash with South Africa.

Nigeria’s game against South Africa will be played on Saturday, November 17 at the FNB Stadium. Kick-off is 3pm.

Nigeria are top with nine points from four fixtures, while South Africa are in second place with eight points from the same number of games.

The three-time African champions lost 2-0 against South Africa in their first leg encounter in Uyo and will be aiming to avenge their home defeat when they take on the Bafana Bafana in front of their home fans.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/10/19/south-af ... con-clash/
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Cellular wrote:Onazi if healthy will probably replace Ndidi.

Still think a 3-5-2 formation would be ideal for us to hide our deficiencies in midfield. And it gives us versatility in personnel.
Personally, I have always favored the 3-5-2 formation for our team. From all the games we used it and which I watched, we played better. Thus, I believe the 3-5-2 formation will destroy South Africa
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Onyekuru out of the SA match with a hamstring injury.
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

theYemster wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:
john12 wrote:Etebo is SE most complete midfielder and there’s no way he would be benched except injuries. Do you think it’s easy going toe to toe with modric, rakitic and put a good performance?? Ogu will replace ndidi if Mikel is unavailable
I am still scratching my head about what happened to Oghenekaro Etebo. :sad: From the potential he showed in the U20 and under previous coaches, he has really really dropped. He needs to ask himself some serious questions. There was a time I felt the whole team will be built around him because he seemed gifted as an end-to-end Paul Scholes-type player. Right now, no.
He's been poor of late. I hope he hasn't gotten too comfortable because he's now in England and this thinks he's arrived and doesn't need to put in the work anymore.

By the way can someone make a large banner indicating Ndidi's ineligibility for the South Africa game and place it in front of the NFF office building where those egg heads can clearly see it?

People just talk anyhow without having the slightest clue what they talking about. Etebo has a lot more defensive responsibilities now that when he played and attacking role
At the youth level. He’s practically playing as CDM for Stoke freaking City for goodness sake. :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:

theYemster,

Are your statements about recent SE or Stoke City games? I have not watched Stoke City. If it is about SE games then Etebo has been far from being poor. He has played very well serving, along with Ndidi, as the major cog in the midfield bringing the ball up. I would argue that he has been busier than Ndidi but that is really splitting hairs to be honest. The bottomline is that he has been very busy on the field. The only misgiving about his play is that he holds the ball a bit much but generally does well protecting it. In my opinion, he is a better passer of the ball than Onazi but that does not mean that he does not make a mistake now and then. Both Onazi and Ndidi make similar mistakes. The only guy with superior passing ability is Mikel.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:

theYemster,

Are your statements about recent SE or Stoke City games? I have not watched Stoke City. If it is about SE games then Etebo has been far from being poor. He has played very well serving, along with Ndidi, as the major cog in the midfield bringing the ball up. I would argue that he has been busier than Ndidi but that is really splitting hairs to be honest. The bottomline is that he has been very busy on the field. The only misgiving about his play is that he holds the ball a bit much but generally does well protecting it. In my opinion, he is a better passer of the ball than Onazi but that does not mean that he does not make a mistake now and then. Both Onazi and Ndidi make similar mistakes. The only guy with superior passing ability is Mikel.
He's been very good at Stoke City as well.