Mikel could learn a thing or two from Wayne Rooney.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Mikel could learn a thing or two from Wayne Rooney.

Post by Cellular »

D.C. United’s Wayne Rooney is loving his ‘chilled out’ lifestyle in D.C.

Wayne Rooney celebrates a goal against the Portland Timbers in August. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)
By Scott Allen October 24 at 12:17 PM

D.C. United was mired in last place in the Eastern Conference when Wayne Rooney made his debut for the club July 14. Since then, D.C. has been MLS’s hottest team, with a 12-4-3 record that has propelled it to a playoff berth. Rooney, who has 12 goals and seven assists in 19 appearances, is the primary reason.

“Like a human defibrillator, Rooney has jolted the locker room with confidence and tenacity,” Roger Bennett, co-host of “Men in Blazers” on NBC Sports, wrote of the English star last week. “It’s a third act worthy of a mythic hero, and the joy — and humility — Rooney has shown along the way is a reminder that behind the scores and stats, the real thrill of watching sports is the human story of it all.”

Rooney recently joined Bennett for a “Men in Blazers” television special that aired Monday. During their 30-minute chat, Rooney, who turned 33 on Wednesday, reflected on his first summer in D.C. and his surprising decision to join United after playing 16 years in the English Premier League.

“There’s obviously more money in other countries, which I could have made, but it was a decision purely based on football first of all, but also on where would be best to move with my family,” said Rooney, whose annualized base salary with United is $2.7 million.
[Fallen star Wayne Rooney saved his soccer career -- and D.C.'s team along with it]

Asked about his initial impressions of his new club following his first training session with United, Rooney recalled the sweltering heat and thinking, “What am I doing?” Rooney made a concerted effort to fit in with his new teammates, turning down the team’s offer to allow him to travel business-class and have his own room on the road.

“If you’re going to be part of the team, you have to be part of the team, all in, and do the same things,” Rooney said. “I don’t want special treatment. I want to be treated the same as the players. I’m part of this team. It’s not rocket science. If you come and form relationships with players, and speak to them, I know a lot of players who come here, big players in other countries, and they have tended to form [those] relationships, or to buy into what the team is doing. I think it’s important. You do that, you can have a big impact on the team.”

Rooney has more Twitter followers than all of D.C.'s other sports stars combined, but unlike back home in England, he said he can go places in D.C. with his wife and four sons without worrying about being hounded by paparazzi.

“Just to go out with my children here is a lot different than going out with them back home,” Rooney said. “You can do it back home, but it’s a bit more planned. . . . At home, at times you’re looking over your shoulder, you’re wondering who’s watching you, who’s filming you. Here it’s a little bit more chilled out. It’s actually strange, it’s actually normal stuff which people do every day in their lives, which I’ve actually missed out on a bit. It’s actually great to be able to do the normal things.”

Rooney spends a fair amount of his free time on weekends watching the Premier League, in which he won five titles with Manchester United.

“Especially when we play on a Saturday evening or Sunday evening, you wake up and you’ve got literally three [Premier League] games to watch before you go and play your game,” he said. “So you can just chill out all day, watch the games and relax. I think if you’ve got regrets about leaving the league then you might find it difficult. The same with England, watching the World Cup, if you have regret, you might find it difficult to watch them play in the tournament. But I’m a person once I make a decision, I stick by it and I don’t have any regrets.”

The five-hour time difference between D.C. and England is great for Rooney’s soccer-watching habits, but it’s put a damper on one of his other favorite pastimes.

“It’s difficult for me to play FIFA with my friends at the minute,” Rooney said when asked what he misses most about England. “We used to play back home when my kids were in bed. My friends would finish work and we would play about nine o’clock in the evening. Nine o’clock in the evening is four o’clock here and it’s right in the middle of the kids finishing school, and I need to try and find a slot when I can play."

For now, Rooney will have to settle for putting up video game numbers for suddenly unstoppable D.C. United.

Check out Bennett’s full interview with Rooney
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 8e82557a49
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Mikel could learn a thing or two from Wayne Rooney.

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Osaze, Essien, Askari and gbeboruns can all learn more that two from Rooney..smh.. did you just include Mikel's name to get some reaction or what.. fyi i didn't read the article
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Not sure how playing in the MLS is any better than China
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Did Mikel ask for advice? :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Osaze, Essien, Askari and gbeboruns can all learn more that two from Rooney..smh.. did you just include Mikel's name to get some reaction or what.. fyi i didn't read the article
Tell him Fanboy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

niyi wrote:Not sure how playing in the MLS is any better than China

Take those 3 foreign players out of an Chinese leagues teams and watch any MLS team beat dem black and blue.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Osaze, Essien, Askari and gbeboruns can all learn more that two from Rooney..smh.. did you just include Mikel's name to get some reaction or what.. fyi i didn't read the article
There's a lot to learn from the article. Thinking about life after retirement. Where to raise your kids. How to ingratiate oneself with one's teammates. Leading by example... etc.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

“There’s obviously more money in other countries, which I could have made, but it was a decision purely based on football first of all, but also on where would be best to move with my family,” said Rooney, whose annualized base salary with United is $2.7 million.
Its easy to do that when Rooney has earned as much as he has. Mikel is not similarly situated. Also, Mikel has not moved his family to china and is younger than Rooney. Is there any indication that mikel did not/has not fit in well with his Tianjin teammates?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Rooney is an Oyibo. His prospects for decent salary/employment after playing is pretty high
Mikel has to get all e can get NOW
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Cellular wrote:
There's a lot to learn from the article. Thinking about life after retirement. Where to raise your kids. How to ingratiate oneself with one's teammates. Leading by example... etc.
Wayne Rooney grew up in Liverpool and he is a scouser. Folks from that area are usually working class with no chip on their shoulder. If that article said anything about Rooney being arrogant or choosing the high life in comparison to his mates, it will be fake. Liverpool folks are not like that. They are down to earth.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

In US, Police will not shoot Rooney first and ask questions later. Let Mikel be
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

metalalloy wrote:
Its easy to do that when Rooney has earned as much as he has. Mikel is not similarly situated. Also, Mikel has not moved his family to china and is younger than Rooney. Is there any indication that mikel did not/has not fit in well with his Tianjin teammates?

:thumbs: :thumbs:

whem mikel gets that old and worn then might consider MLS (My Last Soccer) aka retirement league
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

pajimoh wrote:In US, Police will not shoot Rooney first and ask questions later. Let Mikel be
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote:
em, one nah African, the other nah Red coat
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

How much is Mikel making in China?

How much is Rooney making in the MLS?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cellular wrote:
Not Leading by example? Not Mixing up with his teammates? Sure you’re talking about Mikel? That said, the difference is Mikel is in the cash out phase while Rooney is in the settling down phase. When Mikel looks to wind down his career he may consider mls or other similar family friendly options
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Rawlings wrote:Rooney is an Oyibo. His prospects for decent salary/employment after playing is pretty high
Very well said and agree with you - Professor Rawlings :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: However, watch people come and attack you for this simple truth, arguing unnecessarily :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:In US, Police will not shoot Rooney first and ask questions later. Let Mikel be
... very true!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Mikel's move to China is the right move. He can't be pedestrian in MLS. MLS is one tough league.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

kolinzo wrote:Mikel's move to China is the right move. He can't be pedestrian in MLS. MLS is one tough league.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

YEP, TOUGHER THAN PLAYING IN THE EPL, WC AND AFCON. mssshhheeewww :arrow:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Cellular wrote:
So you don't think his being an English lad has anything to do with it?

You make the best lemonade of the lemon that life deals you.

China came knocking and Mikel went there.

In terms of life after soccer, I am not sure Mikel has a jot to learn from Wayne Rooney.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Odas wrote:
Rawlings wrote:Rooney is an Oyibo. His prospects for decent salary/employment after playing is pretty high
Very well said and agree with you - Professor Rawlings :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: However, watch people come and attack you for this simple truth, arguing unnecessarily :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Evangelist Odas,
some of your countrymen think Obi is Oyibo
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

pajimoh wrote:
kolinzo wrote:Mikel's move to China is the right move. He can't be pedestrian in MLS. MLS is one tough league.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

YEP, TOUGHER THAN PLAYING IN THE EPL, WC AND AFCON. mssshhheeewww :arrow:
Let's be honest, mid table teams to lower table EPL teams will struggle in the MLS.

But the fact is MLS is way tougher than the backwater league called Chinese league.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****