Odegbami plans to get Nigeria to host 2030 World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Odegbami plans to get Nigeria to host 2030 World Cup

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Odegbami reveals radical plans to host 2030 World Cup and bring back Festac in 2020 if elected Ogun State governor - See more at: https://goo.gl/TDLdqn

[1] Now this is what I call thinking outside the box

[2] Organising Festac every year in Abeokuta will turn the Ogun State into a tourist-based economy, kind of similar to Mecca, Jerusalem, Ibiza, etc.

[3] Like most Nigerian states, Ogun does not have the revenue to fund its socio-economic programmes, so revenue generation has got to be the main focus of governors

[4] Hosting the World Cup will also enable us to develop out infrastructure as has never been done before. As we speak, Festac village is still standing, as is the National Theatre Iganmu

[5] Do you also know that the National Stadium Surulere was built because Nigeria was hosting the 1973 All African Games?

[6] Basically, to get Nigeria working, every gubernatorial candidate should be made to reveal how they intend to raise revenue for their state and end this dependence on federal handouts

[7] Our current federal allocation formula is not sustainable. If Ogun State is hosting Festac every year, it will not even need federal allocation

[8] Monaco survives on revenue from its Grand Prix, just as Cannes survives from money from its film festival. For the first time, I am hearing of someone planning something similar in Nigeria. This model is tried and tested everywhere else in the world

[9] Unfortunately, those who know these plans will end their chop-chop federal allocation are scared of mathematical's plans, so have asked him to drop his governorship bid. They even offered him N4bn ($11m) to stand down and accept to serve as deputy governor

[10] Well, over to you the Ogun State electorate. let us see if you have the guts to vote for these radical plans!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Odegbami plans to get Nigeria to host 2030 World Cup

Post by mcal »

...the money to be spent will be better used to up grade Nigerian football. Too many thieves in 'nice clothes'.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

A-G-A-I-N???
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Make odegbami try go find a decent job na, instead of to dey constantly come up with nonsensical talks to try to stay relevant.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

:rotf: :laugh: :rotf: :laugh: :rotf: :laugh:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

:lol: :lol:
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

1naija wrote:Make odegbami try go find a decent job na, instead of to dey constantly come up with nonsensical talks to try to stay relevant.

I don't like to get involved in political discussions on social media, but I'll just say something. All these armchair critiques won't move us forward or achieve jack. Complaints on social media don't translate into action in my opinion. How about doing something about what you're unhappy about. It is convenient to insult people who have put themselves forward to seek political office. Instead of you to go and contribute your own quota to the development of your country......some people are just addicted to criticizing sha :lol: :) .
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

iworo wrote:
1naija wrote:Make odegbami try go find a decent job na, instead of to dey constantly come up with nonsensical talks to try to stay relevant.
I don't like to get involved in political discussions on social media, but I'll just say something. All these armchair critiques won't move us forward or achieve jack. Complaints on social media don't translate into action in my opinion. How about doing something about what you're unhappy about. It is convenient to insult people who have put themselves forward to seek political office. Instead of you to go and contribute your own quota to the development of your country......some people are just addicted to criticizing sha :lol: :) .
First, you should take note of the heading of the thread.
Odegbami running for governorship of Ogun state is one thing, while Nigeria hosting WC 2030 is another.
He has tried this world cup thing before, as when the 2010 edition hosting was about to be decided. That
rightfully went to South Africa, as Nigeria was not ready. Nigeria currently is no shape to host a world event
like the World Cup, what with all our petty and serious issues unresolved. Besides, the money and energy
that would be needed to host such event can go into better needs like transportation infrastructure, health,
and education, just to name a few.
For those who would like to argue that hosting the WC would help the economy, just imagine what shape
the country would be in, twelve years from now.

Odegbami should win Ogun governorship and prove he can run a state, before dreaming of staging the world.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Someone tell him no thanks,Nigeria won't be ready!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

you never speak ill of a legend
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EagleEye
Egg
Egg

Post by EagleEye »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Odegbami reveals radical plans to host 2030 World Cup and bring back Festac in 2020 if elected Ogun State governor - See more at: https://goo.gl/TDLdqn

[1] Now this is what I call thinking outside the box

[2] Organising Festac every year in Abeokuta will turn the Ogun State into a tourist-based economy, kind of similar to Mecca, Jerusalem, Ibiza, etc.

[3] Like most Nigerian states, Ogun does not have the revenue to fund its socio-economic programmes, so revenue generation has got to be the main focus of governors

[4] Hosting the World Cup will also enable us to develop out infrastructure as has never been done before. As we speak, Festac village is still standing, as is the National Theatre Iganmu

[5] Do you also know that the National Stadium Surulere was built because Nigeria was hosting the 1973 All African Games?

[6] Basically, to get Nigeria working, every gubernatorial candidate should be made to reveal how they intend to raise revenue for their state and end this dependence on federal handouts

[7] Our current federal allocation formula is not sustainable. If Ogun State is hosting Festac every year, it will not even need federal allocation

[8] Monaco survives on revenue from its Grand Prix, just as Cannes survives from money from its film festival. For the first time, I am hearing of someone planning something similar in Nigeria. This model is tried and tested everywhere else in the world

[9] Unfortunately, those who know these plans will end their chop-chop federal allocation are scared of mathematical's plans, so have asked him to drop his governorship bid. They even offered him N4bn ($11m) to stand down and accept to serve as deputy governor

[10] Well, over to you the Ogun State electorate. let us see if you have the guts to vote for these radical plans!
This is the most stupid idea I have heard coming from this source and Odegbami. Firstly Festac has brought nothing but multiplication of evil to Nigeria, up till now the country has never come out of poverty even though its GDP is over trillions $, and ungodly actions is in full flow.

Hosting World Cup is will ruin the country! simple as that.... I hope you know what I mean
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Great ideas, even though somewhat unworkable given the Nigerian circumstance. "Mathematical" has always been very cerebral- how he played, and in his foray into well-rounded journalism. But why London? Unless it was a forum of Ogun State indigenes in the diaspora.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

My people fail to appreciate the fact that World Cup's lead to massive infrastructural development. South Africa's infrastructure was very limited before the hosted the World Cup and Qatar has been a building site for the last four years.

Hosting the World Cup will radically transform Nigeria as the conditions will mean we have to upgrade and build so much. Just imagine the private finance that will pour into the country!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:My people fail to appreciate the fact that World Cup's lead to massive infrastructural development. South Africa's infrastructure was very limited before the hosted the World Cup and Qatar has been a building site for the last four years.

Hosting the World Cup will radically transform Nigeria as the conditions will mean we have to upgrade and build so much. Just imagine the private finance that will pour into the country!
Come on Ayo. Abi you want to compare infracture pre World Cup in SA to Nigeria? Patriotism is blind but please. May be if our politicians stop stealing for 20 y and do stuff we can try for 2050!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:My people fail to appreciate the fact that World Cup's lead to massive infrastructural development. South Africa's infrastructure was very limited before the hosted the World Cup and Qatar has been a building site for the last four years.

Ayo

I do not think the issue is about infrastructure related to the World Cup but the cost of such infrastructure, affordability, and its ultimate benefits. First note that Nigeria's current annual budget is approximately $30 billion. A 32 team World Cup costs Brazil half that amount 4 years ago! In 2030 we will be talking of a 48 team World Cup and will be expected to spend proportionally more than Brazil spent because of comparatively less existing facilities. To me the math does not work out especially when you count forgoing many other development issues such as health care, agriculture, and others that the state is committed to. Then consider our debt profile. To me Odegbami is simply spewing political stuff that just dies not make practical sense. I can go on and on on how this does not check out.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Odegbami reveals radical plans to host 2030 World Cup and bring back Festac in 2020 if elected Ogun State governor - See more at: https://goo.gl/TDLdqn

Hmm, moni dey politiks-o! Assuming all is true, so chief Odegbami is being offered $11 to take the position of a "Deputy governor", instead? Kai! Where are they getting all these monies from?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mcal wrote:...the money to be spent will be better used to up grade Nigerian football. Too many thieves in 'nice clothes'.
Do you really understand what you're saying? By definition, bidding to host the wood cup involves spending money on upgrading infrastructural and technical facilities that'll benefit Nigerian football. 2030 is twelve years from now which is achievable even if maybe not exactly realistic.

That said I'm not holding my breath, this is Nigeria.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

theYemster wrote:
mcal wrote:...the money to be spent will be better used to up grade Nigerian football. Too many thieves in 'nice clothes'.
Do you really understand what you're saying? By definition, bidding to host the wood cup involves spending money on upgrading infrastructural and technical facilities that'll benefit Nigerian football. 2030 is twelve years from now which is achievable even if maybe not exactly realistic.

...and let me put it this way, Nigeria should never ever bid for such a global event until we can take care of own.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mcal wrote:
theYemster wrote:

...and let me put it this way, Nigeria should never ever bid for such a global event until we can take care of own.
Take care of our own how?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

theYemster wrote:
mcal wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Take care of our own how?
...yep, "our own".
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Ridiculous idea.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Who were his advisers? What a dumb thing to propose by someone aspiring to be a Governor.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD