Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting Stars

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The real deal
Egg
Egg
Re: Where are they now – the history-making 1976 Shooting St

Post by The real deal »

Enugu II wrote:
The real deal wrote:As much as its worth celebrating these heroes, do you realize how embarrassing it is for North African teams to have dominated these club competitions so BADLY? How many of such books will Egyptians, Moroccans and Tunisians have to write? There's this mindset of over-celebrating minnow achievements.
On the other hand, this domination is telling of how clueless most of British colonial black Africa is when it comes to public versus privately owned things! Most thinks Govt shd run everything. It never stand the test of time
Stationery stores
IICC
Rangers
BCC lions
List goes on......everything looks so BLEAK!!

Bros,

There is no reason not to celebrate. Let me tell you, it is like claiming that a guy with third class honors should not celebrate graduating. You should always celebrate an accomplishment and that should not be based on some other person accomplishing more than you over a period.
I get your perspective but as the biggest Black nation and football being our ONLY (literarily) sports, its damning (some will say disgraceful) that the north Africans have a monopoly of organized club competitions like that. Anniversaries of a SOLE 1976 (42 yrs ago) in an annual competition shd rather be a day of SOBER reflection rather than celebration
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

The real deal wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The real deal wrote:As much as its worth celebrating these heroes, do you realize how embarrassing it is for North African teams to have dominated these club competitions so BADLY? How many of such books will Egyptians, Moroccans and Tunisians have to write? There's this mindset of over-celebrating minnow achievements.
On the other hand, this domination is telling of how clueless most of British colonial black Africa is when it comes to public versus privately owned things! Most thinks Govt shd run everything. It never stand the test of time
Stationery stores
IICC
Rangers
BCC lions

Bros,

There is no reason not to celebrate. Let me tell you, it is like claiming that a guy with third class honors should not celebrate graduating. You should always celebrate an accomplishment and that should not be based on some other person accomplishing more than you over a period.
I get your perspective but as the biggest Black nation and football being our ONLY (literarily) sports, its damning (some will say disgraceful) that the north Africans have a monopoly of organized club competitions like that. Anniversaries of a SOLE 1976 (42 yrs ago) in an annual competition shd rather be a day of SOBER reflection rather than celebration
Context, bro context...

The reason for the perennial failure of Nigerian clubsides at continental tournaments (compared to NAfrican clubsides) is the perennial migration of the cream of our domestic players out of Nigeria...period...

The sober reflection should be directed at the cause of this emigration...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

The real deal wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Stationery stores
IICC
Rangers
BCC lions

Bros,

Shooting won more than one CAF continental competition.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

furiously frank wrote:The Lagunjus played for Housing Corp Akure, IBL FC and later 3SC. Along with Seun Asagidigbi all in late 80s.
I just dont think Rasaki Fadare played for Shooting in 70s.
Heck Gambari only joined the team in early 80s.
Are you sure that Gambus didn't play for Shooting in the late 70's?
I will ask my local IICC encyclopaedia uncle some of the questions swirling round.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Aswani wrote:
furiously frank wrote:The Lagunjus played for Housing Corp Akure, IBL FC and later 3SC. Along with Seun Asagidigbi all in late 80s.
I will ask my local IICC encyclopaedia uncle some of the questions swirling round.

Aswani,

Gambari played for Shooting before the 1980s but the issue that Fadare played in IICC's Cup Winners' Cup team is just not plausible. I have data of several top Nigerian clubs, including IICC, until 1983 or so when I left the country. I would really like to know which games Fadare played for IICC during that run for the Cup Winners' Cup.

As for Gambari, he was in the starting lineup of the 1975 Challenge Cup final when IICC lost to Rangers 0-1.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:

Aswani,

Gambari played for Shooting before the 1980s but the issue that Fadare played in IICC's Cup Winners' Cup team is just not plausible. I have data of several top Nigerian clubs, including IICC, until 1983 or so when I left the country. I would really like to know which games Fadare played for IICC during that run for the Cup Winners' Cup.

As for Gambari, he was in the starting lineup of the 1975 Challenge Cup final when IICC lost to Rangers 0-1.
Kpom. Fadare was not in the cup winners cup squad. I remember he played against Bendel insurance in the 1979 challenge cup semi final.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:

Aswani,

Kpom. Fadare was not in the cup winners cup squad. I remember he played against Bendel insurance in the 1979 challenge cup semi final.
According to my source:
Rasaki Fadare joined IICC in 1977 as did Jaiyefous. They did not play in the Cup Winner scup team
Mufu Fadare played for IICC in the 80's
Gambus started playing in the 70's

Both Segun Odegbami and 'furious frank' appear incorrect regarding Fadare and Jaiyefous playing in the IICC Cup Winners Cup team

Now I actually think they both joined IICC in 1978 (or even 1979 sef) as they played for Water in the Champions Cup in 1978. I accept I am probably wrong on this as my IICC source is nigh on impeccable.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

This is the 79/80 squad

And the king of Oluyole IICC Shooting with the legends.
Standing r-l, Segun Odegbami aka Mathematical,Idowu Otubusin aka Slow Poison,NA, Rasaki Fadare, Moses Otolorin aka Authority,Folorunsho Gambari, Nathaniel Adewole, Kehinde Jeyifous, Kennedy Darpah
Squatting l-r Best Ogedengbe, Fatai Lagunju, Biodun Ogunjimi,Tunde Bamidele, Sam Ashante, Felix OWOBLOW Owolabi,Muda Lawal.[/quote]
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Hmmmm, Haji Muda is the captain here. Cool. This picture brings memories back indeed
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Enugu II wrote:FF,

I am certainly talking about Rasaki Fadare, the goalkeeper, and not any Mufu Fadare. Bros, I am convinced that Rasaki Fadare was not part of the IICC team that won the Cup Winners Cup as Big Sheg claims. That just isn't accurate. Rasaki Fadare and Clement Okolie were key players of Water Corporation at that time. Rasaki joined IICC later but not in the Cup Winners Cup squad. Same as Kejhinde Jaiyefous who was a much younger player. Jaiyefous was also a striker who was new at IICC, along with Siji Lagunju, in the late 1970s to early 80s (I would have to check my records to be more definitive).
furiously frank wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Toxic,

There are two things mentioned by Big Sheg in this story that I think may not be accurate. Just my tuppence. The first is that I thought Kehinde Jaiyefous was a forward and not a defensive midfielder and I dam not aware that he was part of the winning team described below. Second, I have my doubt that Rasaki Fadare was part of that team. Was Fadare not at Water Corporation at that time? Where are the Sooting faithfuls?
Yep, I am almost certain he was a forward too that missed loads of goals.
I actually thought he was at Water when IICC won the cup winner's cup, same as Fadare.
Aswani,

This is why the Chinese state that memory can easily fail us after the passage of years. Big Sheg made errors there. According to the Chinese, The Faintest Ink is Smarter than the Sharpest Brain.
Don't confuse Rasak Fadare with Mufu Fadare, the junior striker who played for Water and IBL FC later in the 80s
I think E11 and Aswani are right...Here is an old thread that Oloye opened in 2016 :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=270932
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

E11 and everybody:
My apologies for the late response to this thread. I was on the road for the past few days, and had trouble logging in to CE. .
That said, here is the 1976 squad (as it listed on pg 180-181 of The Golden Book of Shooting Stars by Ayo Ademokoya)
1. Best Ogedegbe
2. Zion Ogunfehinyi
3. Sam Ojebode
4. Folorunso Gambari
5. Muda Lawal
6. Nathaniel Adewole
7. Idowu Otubusin
8. Segun Odegbami
9. Philip Boamah
10. Moses Otolorin
11. Joe Appiah
12. Sam Ashante
13. Sam Saka
14. Ismaila Bello
15. Anthony Osho
16. Sam Aboseh
17. Dauda Adepoju
18. Segun Adelakun
19. Adeleye Abai
20. Kafaru Alabi
21. Layide Alli
22. Sam Adewole ???
23. Rasaki Amasa
24. Jimoh Oyelami
25. Suara Adeniran
26. Garba Umoru
27. Harrison Okwegbe

Head Coach: Alan Hawkes
Assistant Coaches: Ayo Adeniji, Jossy Lad, &Rafiu Salami

Source: The Golden Book of Shooting Stars by Ayo Ademokoya
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Toxic

Thanks. More like it. I followed the team closely in those days and this is far more convincing than Big Sheg's recollection.

Toxicarrow wrote:E11 and everybody:
My apologies for the late response to this thread. I was on the road for the past few days, and had trouble logging in to CE. .
That said, here is the 1976 squad (as it listed on pg 180-181 of The Golden Book of Shooting Stars by Ayo Ademokoya)
1. Best Ogedegbe
2. Zion Ogunfehinyi
3. Sam Ojebode
4. Folorunso Gambari
5. Muda Lawal
6. Nathaniel Adewole
7. Idowu Otubusin
8. Segun Odegbami
9. Philip Boamah
10. Moses Otolorin
11. Joe Appiah
12. Sam Ashante
13. Sam Saka
14. Ismaila Bello
15. Anthony Osho
16. Sam Aboseh
17. Dauda Adepoju
18. Segun Adelakun
19. Adeleye Abai
20. Kafaru Alabi
21. Layide Alli
22. Sam Adewole ???
23. Rasaki Amasa
24. Jimoh Oyelami
25. Suara Adeniran
26. Garba Umoru
27. Harrison Okwegbe

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Toxic

Thanks. More like it. I followed the team closely in those days and this is far more convincing than Big Sheg's recollection.

Toxicarrow wrote:E11 and everybody:
1. Best Ogedegbe
2. Zion Ogunfehinyi
3. Sam Ojebode
4. Folorunso Gambari
5. Muda Lawal
6. Nathaniel Adewole
7. Idowu Otubusin
8. Segun Odegbami
9. Philip Boamah
10. Moses Otolorin
11. Joe Appiah
12. Sam Ashante
13. Sam Saka
14. Ismaila Bello
15. Anthony Osho
16. Sam Aboseh
17. Dauda Adepoju
18. Segun Adelakun
19. Adeleye Abai
20. Kafaru Alabi
21. Layide Alli
22. Sam Adewole ???
23. Rasaki Amasa
24. Jimoh Oyelami
25. Suara Adeniran
26. Garba Umoru
27. Harrison Okwegbe